• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all,
My undergrad is almost done in April! I'm excited but nervous, it's a social service type of undergrad (child and youth care) however, I have been working with youths for almost 6-7 years and feeling the burnout. I work full-time in an ASD classroom as an educational assistance but realize it's taking a toll on me. I'm in this phase where I want to figure out what my next steps are but have no clue to go about it. My friends all say once your done just do some self reflection and see what makes you happiest but the issue is I don't know how to start. My whole career has been based around special needs children and want a change whether it's becoming a teacher in a regular classroom or something else completely. Has anyone else been in this similar situation on here? What is some of your advice or suggestions. I'm also still very young (25) so going back to do more schooling is not out of the question.
So far I have an advanced diploma (3 year program) and soon to be an undergrad in school.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
My undergrad is in Game Art and Animation. I finished it and immediately knew that I had 0 interest in actually working in the industry (and therefore had no clue what I actually wanted to do). I did graphic design for a community college for a bit and started to sub at local school districts. I loved that, so I moved abroad and taught for a few years before moving back home to get certified. I'm in my 3rd year of teaching in the US and I'm about to start my Master's in a few weeks. My plan is to get that, then use it to transition out of the classroom and into something like Ed Tech or Curriculum Design.

If you're looking into becoming a classroom teacher I'd suggest looking into what the pay is in your particular area/state (if you're in the US) before you commit, because licenses are weird and transferring them between states is a headache from what I hear (which was a big motivator in finally going for my Master's, I despise Texas and desperately want out).

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sometimes it doesn't hurt to take a bit of time off, like a couple of days to a week, in order to freshen up and have a mental reset. Afterwards, I would suggest communicating with your work peers for career or education advice to advance your chosen profession.

When I got into the animation industry a decade ago and been working in a variety of different roles (Storyboard Artist, BG Clean Up, Character & Prop Design, etc.), I communicated with those who have been working in the industry longer than I have for advice, and given that I enjoy collaborating with my co-workers on projects (along with having good micromanaging skills), I came to the conclusion that I wanted to become a showrunner and get the chance to create and run my own shows, which I'm in the process of doing.

Regardless, nobody has it all sorted, and I would be lying if I said I had my life all figured out. I want to wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do in the end.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys and girls so far <3

Currently I live in Canada so the typical teacher in Ontario maxes out around 100,000 after ten years of successfully teaching full-time. I've been on my winter break for the past few weeks and feel like I wanted to be productive so I made a linkedin and so far have almost 60 connections from previous experiences. I just always worry about just settling, and Protoman200x if you don't mind me asking how did you get into the industry, I will say my biggest passion in life is watching movies/ shows and leisures as well .

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Currently I live in Canada so the typical teacher in Ontario maxes out around 100,000 after ten years of successfully teaching full-time. I've been on my winter break for the past few weeks and feel like I wanted to be productive so I made a linkedin and so far have almost 60 connections from previous experiences. I just always worry about just settling, and Protoman200x if you don't mind me asking how did you get into the industry, I will say my biggest passion in life is watching movies/ shows and leisures as well .

Does LinkedIn seem helpful as an educator in Canada? I actually applied for citizenship a few months ago (my mom and her family are from Ontario) and if I stick to teaching, I'd love to make my way north. LinkedIn has never helped me find a job in education down here though, it's completely irrelevant in this area/field.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
If you're able to have some fun before entering the rest of your life, go for it.

I graduated and 2 months later started my corp job. I'm already burnt out 3 years in.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

I attended Capilano University's 2-Year Commercial Animation program, and during grad show, two recruiters from Atomic Cartoons liked what they saw of my portfolio and hired me, as at that time the studio was reopening and needed to staff up, after a spell when the studio had shut down.

I wish there was a more elaborate story, but I was in the right place at the right time, as the industry in 2011 was in a weird place and several long-time studios were reopening their doors after a dry spell of inactivity.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
If you're able to have some fun before entering the rest of your life, go for it.

I graduated and 2 months later started my corp job. I'm already burnt out 3 years in.
Yeah that's how I feel, I have been working full time and doing university part-time for almost 3 years and it's just draining. Working with children on the spectrum gets a bit tolling

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats in making it this far! I didn't know what to do after graduating, so I got a job teaching English in Japan. I did it for a long time compared to others (I did a total of 8 years, most people I know did it for 1-3 years). Those were some of the best years of my life! Working with elementary kids was super fun (and I actually worked hard, unlike some people who just kinda did bare minimum).

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I was that I had money saved up when I graduated university. I was burned up from all the final exams and graduation requirements (here we have mandatory interships), so I took some time off before applying for jobs. It helped me get back in shape, and also was a good moment to reflect on what I wanted to do in the future.

If you can, try to take some time off - even if its just a couple of days, make it a couple of days you spend on pampering yourself. Catch up to that TV series, do a game marathon, put some time in other hobbies, just try to relax and unwind.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Same here! About to graduate after this semester with a double major in Political Science and Film and not sure what to do next.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I have so far bounced around Ontario getting a different job every year.
I have 2 college diplomas, one in fitness in 2015 and one in ecology in 2018 (I'm 28).

I still don't know what to do. I sometimes think I should go get another/go to uni, but I feel that won't actually solve anything to just pay large sums of money for personal interests lol.

I'm hoping I'll stumble onto something eventually. Or I'll have to just stay somewhere I tolerate and work to live (in a nice government job working at a park).

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
It's relieving to read that others have faced similar situations, I just know that working with special needs children I can't do it for the rest of my life just because of how tolling it is physically and mentally and sucks that after 5 years I already want to move on :/

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Lemme put it this way, a career in local government wasn't on my radar when I was close to graduation. I generally enjoy what I do (and what I've done over the last 6/7 years) and I for the most part don't regret the move I made.

I almost joined a scheme to teach Math at London schools... and my degree was in History and Politics.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Currently I live in Canada so the typical teacher in Ontario maxes out around 100,000 after ten years of successfully teaching full-time. I've been on my winter break for the past few weeks and feel like I wanted to be productive so I made a linkedin and so far have almost 60 connections from previous experiences. I just always worry about just settling, and Protoman200x if you don't mind me asking how did you get into the industry, I will say my biggest passion in life is watching movies/ shows and leisures as well.
Here's a tip for LinkedIn, only connected with people that can help your career and you can help theirs. Don't treat it like Facebook.

Most people are nervous and don't know what to do unless they already have a job in place. Just focus on landing the job you want and a job you'll settle for, for now. I always tell new grads to go this route because having tunnel vision early can derail everything in the future.

Not personal experience, but i know my brother considers his masters one of the biggest regrets of his life
My masters has been one of the best things. Not only did my job pay for the whole thing, but once I was done, I got a 20% bump in pay and eligible for positions that were years out of reach.

Go to a quality university and go for something that will advance your career. I went 7 years after working and my undergrad.