• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I didn't get "grilled".
I never stated it as my opinion and I mention that I myself will take the vaccine, I stated it as what I heard a doctor friend of mine said which to a non medical person such as myself seemed like a reasonable non anti vaxxer answer to why one wouldn't take a vaccine at that moment, which is what the topic was created for. But when provided with additional evidence I forwarded that to my friend and asked for his stance in light of new evidence.
Yes, but the point isn't that you actually agree with them, but saying "it makes sense" only further justifies their concern in their eyes and may cause doubt in other people. The point is that this is how disinformation takes hold and then spreads.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My coworker read an article and now doesn't want to take a vaccine. :/ It's amazing how much a single piece of misinformation can change minds just like that.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I just posted about. What sort of doctor is your friend? Is their specialty immunology? If not, they likely don't have any significant amount of knowledge beyond the common person. Doctors don't actually receive that much training in vaccines unless it is a part of their specialty.

I can't claim to be an expert, but even I can poke a few holes in what they're saying. Most vaccines only go through longer periods of testing because they need more data points, since most things you're trying to vaccinate against are far less common than COVID. It takes time to get a good comparison between your vaccinated group and those who got the placebo. One of the few benefits of COVID being out of control is that data comes in very quickly. Many vaccines are approved with less data and smaller sample sizes than what we have already about these. COVID skipped zero steps in the testing process that every other vaccine goes through.

Very fair point. I'm an immunologist that works at a medical center. I can't tell you how little training medical students receive on immunology! Which is crazy when you think how involved immunology is in almost practically every part of medicine. Vaccines, inflammation, infections, viruses, colds, flu, autoimmunity, allergies...the list goes on. All immunology! MDs get a year of anatomy training, but maybe a few weeks of immunology courses.

I'm an immunologist and as soon as I can get the vaccine, I'm getting it! The risk (very very small) out weighs actually getting COVID!

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious how people who take any random drug shared at a festival, or drinks and snacks filled with chemicals.. now suddenly care about what goes into their bodies.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
People who are worried about vaccine side effects are dumb. Even if they existed, would you rather deal with coronavirus side effects instead?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My coworker read an article and now doesn't want to take a vaccine. :/ It's amazing how much a single piece of misinformation can change minds just like that.

It's all emotional, but then, many of the things we do are.

More importantly, vaccines feel less in our control. You can say to yourself "well, if I'm careful, I won't get COVID at all!"

Then you can discount the complications, potential spread, etc. Oh, and thinking only of yourself, you can say "well, if I get it, odds are I'll be okay."

But a vaccine, you're suddenly thinking it's out of your control what happens & it's scarier. So you have one article that seems reasonable & then the availability heuristic does the rest.

Same reason people will fear airplanes and not, oh, stairs.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Many people I know just don't want to be the guinea pigs, end up with Serious side effects. They don't want to be the first to take it, that's all.

While I can be sympathetic to that point of view, it's fundamentally wrong and demonstrates absolutely no understanding of the development and testing of this vaccine, nor its potential impact on this pandemic.

i think a lot of people will come around when they have friends and family memebers who have taken it and are fine, and when the gravity of the potential societal benefit sets in

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy waiting 6 months to make sure nothing major pops up, but I'm not waiting decades to see if there are any long term issues that come from it. I doubt I would be approved to get one until April anyway.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Has there ever been any widespread severe side effects in a vaccine through out history? I initially didn't want it if Trump forced it out before the election, but once I found out the US didn't even have anything to do with the first one, that fear went away, lol.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Unfortunately, most people won't unless it's required to go to work or school.

That's completely false.

USA TODAY

In a USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll Wednesday through Sunday, 46% say they will take the vaccine as soon as they can. That's close to double the 26% who were ready to get the shot as soon as possible in a USA TODAY poll in late October. In the new poll, 32% say they will wait for others to get the shots before they do so themselves.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I have an older friend who is a doctor who has cautioned me to wait (he is also very liberal if that matters to you). His position is that this vaccine hasn't had the years of testing and trials that vaccines normally go through.

Can anyone with a background in science or medicine explain to me whether this is a valid concern?

Scientifically, that's not a valid concern, and someone who brings it up is ignorant of the process of testing and development of this vaccine, period.

being a doctor does NOT preclude you from being a dumbass, being ignorant about things or just being wrong. it's also important to keep in mind that being knowledgeable about one area of specialization does not mean youre knowledgeable about other areas necessarily.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I'm sorry your social circle is filled with dangerous idiots, op. Please keep doing your best to convince them. The longer this virus continues to spread, the greater the chances are it could mutate to a point that the vaccine isn't effective.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get all this skepticism about COVID-19 vaccines. If there's skepticism about mRNA vaccines, there's literally going to be several more vaccines by the time the general population can even get access to even a vaccine. If none of them manage to placate their concerns, then the problem isn't with the vaccines -- it's their deep rooted unfounded skepticism, and that has to be addressed.

Mar 3, 2019
Doesnt help when you have entertainment celebrities saying its going to give you microchips from the government. The anti-vax movement is going hard in POC communities right now through the vein of "just asking questions"

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm fine with people who don't want to be part of the first rush of vaccines, but by the summer anyone still opposed to it can be banished to covid island.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I honestly don't get all this skepticism about COVID-19 vaccines. If there's skepticism about mRNA vaccines, there's literally going to be several more vaccines by the time the general population can even get access to even a vaccine. If none of them manage to placate their concerns, then the problem isn't with the vaccines -- it's their deep rooted unfounded skepticism, and that has to be addressed.
The kicker is, having a baseline knowledge of microbiology, despite being the newer technology, the concept of a mRNA virus is far safer on a conceptual level. The list of ingredients for the COVID vaccine are largely things I generally understand or can look up simply...it just looks like a much better method than traditional vaccines based on my understanding and I just got my flu shot a few weeks ago, so I am okay with the old ones, but this mRNA method seems amazing by comparison.

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
These people sound like loons. Ignore them and move on?
Why are you keeping shitty people around?
Easy to say when it seems to be a stance of the majority of my country (Poland), even a lot of healthcare workers are against getting vaccinated. Which is even more bizarre when all politicians (except alt-right, because of course...) and mainstream media are talking almost 24/7 about the importance of vaccine.
Over the next 6months stories of people having averse reactions are going to get a lot of coverage. And this isn't because of, like, anti-vaxx bias or irresponsible reporting, it's just the nature of what's interesting to us, how news agencies report on what's unique/interesting, and then how we also self-select for that. There are going to be millions of successful vaccinations over the next 60 days, and you'll pay attention to some of those articles sometimes, but of those millions there will be a handful of people with bad reactions and you're going to naturally pay more attention to those... That doesn't mean the vaccine isn't safe. Think about it similar to going to the beach every summer. Hundreds of millions of people go to the beach every summer, and they have great summer vacations. But, every year about 60-70 people are attacked, unprovoked, by sharks and usually require hospitalization. The news reports shark attacks because they're uncommon and they take up a lot of mental headspace for people going into the water where sharks are known to be, despite that out of the hundreds of millions of swimmers, there's only 60 or 70 attacks each year.
Bolded is already happening, a couple of days ago one person send me screenshots of article about 8 or so people developing side effects after getting their shot, so I asked "Ok, but how many people get the vaccine?" Response? "Around 3k, BUT STILL!

Critical thinking among general population is dead, if it was even alive in the first place.
do these people ever think of the possible side effects from covid? you can end up with lung or heart damage. hell even losing your sense of taste seems like a nightmare. i'll take possible side effects from the vaccine any day.
I know a girl that works as a paramedic, she lost smell for 3 months after getting infected with covid, you would think that would be enough to convince her to take vaccine, but noooope!
I want it. But literally NONE of my friends and family want it. Even medical professionals like a nurse. It's very shocking because NONE of these people expressed anti-vax views to me before this and now they seemingly ALL are and think I'm the crazy one.
My experience, word for word.
Well, to counter all that....
Great post(s), thank you!
Just tell them that rich folks are offering up $25k a head to skip the line.
Tried that, along with Marco Rubio example, no success.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
People, if there were serious side effects, we'd have seen them already.

The first human test for it was around April, and that person is fine.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Bolded is already happening, a couple of days ago one person send me screenshots of article about 8 or so people developing side effects after getting their shot, so I asked "Ok, but how many people get the vaccine?" Response? "Around 3k, BUT STILL!
Oh, I'm gonna plan on the worst of the common side effects and either get mine on the weekend if I can or take the day after off. I don't expect that to be a certain result, but I'm gonna plan on being on my ass for a day or two after for the sake of planning my work. If I don't get the worst effects, I just go to work and I've got a free day in my schedule to make up for all the meetings I typically have to take.

Mar 3, 2019
Scientifically, that's not a valid concern, and someone who brings it up is ignorant of the process of testing and development of this vaccine, period.

being a doctor does NOT preclude you from being a dumbass, being ignorant about things or just being wrong. it's also important to keep in mind that being knowledgeable about one area of specialization does not mean youre knowledgeable about other areas necessarily.

EXACTLY THIS. Doctors specialize in a specific field and have their knowledge in that field. Too many doctors try to extrapolate their general education and speak on things outside their concentration, and thats how you end up with anti-vaxxer cardiologists. Science and medical science is an incredibally complex medium, studying all your life only gives you a sliver of all the information out there. When a doctor speaks, see what his field is in and base all his statements off of that. Doctors and Nurses can be just as ignorant as your average person, sometimes moreso since their blinders give them a false sense of gravitas in fields outside their own.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rather than becoming increasingly more polarized, it would be good to first accept that we don't know the medium to long term effects from mRNA vaccines, because we haven't used them for long enough.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Rather than becoming increasingly more polarized, it would be good to first accept that we don't know the medium to long term effects from mRNA vaccines, because we haven't used them for long enough.
I mean, the active portion of the vaccine is the mRNA itself. As far as I am aware, it dissipates quite quickly (hence the need for a booster shot). The rest of the ingredients are (mostly) relatively simple scientific names for things (lipid = fat, sucrose = sugar, etc.). I think there are only two ingredients, maybe three, that aren't simple compounds that are either A) naturally occurring in the body B) commonly used for many medical procedures/medications.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the active portion of the vaccine is the mRNA itself. As far as I am aware, it dissipates quite quickly (hence the need for a booster shot). The rest of the ingredients are (mostly) relatively simple scientific names for things (lipid = fat, sucrose = sugar, etc.). I think there are only two ingredients, maybe three, that aren't simple compounds that are either A) naturally occurring in the body B) commonly used for many medical procedures/medications.
Yeah, we've done all the theoretical work and looked at the short-term effects, but until the vaccine has been out there for 5-10 years we won't know for sure. I'm not saying people shouldn't take the vaccine because of that, but it would be nice to have an honest conversation about this rather than just start off with name-calling basically.

Lyude77

Dec 19, 2017
preaching to the choir but I'm not arguing about it with her anymore.
This is where I'm at with the people I know that don't want to take it. I feel like it's almost a stubbornness thing at this point with anyone who needs convincing around me, they're like "I'm well educated enough to decide not to take it and I already decided to wait; gonna grab onto negative stories to justify the position and who cares about immunology theory, there are no long term studies". I'm gonna wait till it's actually available for them and try actual convincing then.

On a side note, isn't the mRNA vaccine just producing the spike protein that COVID already has anyway? Why would that cause issues that COVID doesn't already cause? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Last edited:

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
My wife got her first round on Sunday since she's a nurse. I'll be getting mine as soon as I'm able. I ain't got no time for anti-vaxxers in my life.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Considering the stress actual covid puts your body through, I wouldn't expect this mRNA vaccine to have worse long-term effects. This a clear cut case of the benefits outweighing the costs imo.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lets see if they have the same energy once summer hits and its needed to hit all the public spots.
Easier to say im not taking it in winter when everybody is staying at home anyway.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah, we've done all the theoretical work and looked at the short-term effects, but until the vaccine has been out there for 5-10 years we won't know for sure. I'm not saying people shouldn't take the vaccine because of that, but it would be nice to have an honest conversation about this rather than just start off with name-calling basically.

Well....

www.forbes.com

What Are The Long-Term Safety Risks Of The Pfizer and Moderna Covid-19 Vaccines?

How much data do we have on the long-term safety of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA Covid-19 vaccines developed during Operation Warp Speed? Perhaps more than you think.

This is not the first time that an mRNA vaccine has been used in humans. The first human trial of an mRNA vaccine began in 2009 in a small group of patients who had prostate cancer. Overall, that mRNA vaccine was well tolerated and had a good safety profile. In 2013 a clinical trial began of an mRNA rabies vaccine in healthy human adults. This rabies trial was important because the safety requirements for a vaccine in a healthy population are more stringent than those for a vaccine being used to treat a disease. The study ran from 2013-2016, and continues to collect long-term safety data. But overall, this vaccine was deemed generally safe and tolerable. mRNA vaccines are now in use in clinical trials for HIV, the Zika virus, and influenza.

We will all feel more comfortable when millions of people have received the mRNA Covid-19 vaccines and we have years of data to prove that they are as safe and effective as we believe them to be. Unfortunately, time is not on our side, and we have more than enough data to understand the risks of Covid-19 infection and its deadly consequences. Today, more than 1.6 million people worldwide have lost their lives due to Covid-19 and more than 75 million people have been infected. We have enough short-term data on the mRNA COVID vaccines and long-term data on other mRNA vaccines to make emergency use authorization a reasonable decision.

OP
OP
Koklusz

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I'm gonna plan on the worst of the common side effects and either get mine on the weekend if I can or take the day after off. I don't expect that to be a certain result, but I'm gonna plan on being on my ass for a day or two after for the sake of planning my work. If I don't get the worst effects, I just go to work and I've got a free day in my schedule to make up for all the meetings I typically have to take.
Quoted wrong person?

R2RD

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 6, 2018
People keep mentioning long term side effects as the reason why they won't take the vaccine but what could those side effects be? Do we have any info on that or is there a known vaccine that caused unexpected side effects?

It's annoying seeing people that were asking for a vaccine the whole year now claim that they won't take it cause some random person said it's not safe.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well....

www.forbes.com

What Are The Long-Term Safety Risks Of The Pfizer and Moderna Covid-19 Vaccines?

How much data do we have on the long-term safety of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA Covid-19 vaccines developed during Operation Warp Speed? Perhaps more than you think.
This is is great, the long-term effects study had 101 participants. I think the line we should be going with is the one from the article focusing on the benefits outweighing the risks rather than just yelling that it's safe and shutting down any conversation.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The kicker is, having a baseline knowledge of microbiology, despite being the newer technology, the concept of a mRNA virus is far safer on a conceptual level. The list of ingredients for the COVID vaccine are largely things I generally understand or can look up simply...it just looks like a much better method than traditional vaccines based on my understanding and I just got my flu shot a few weeks ago, so I am okay with the old ones, but this mRNA method seems amazing by comparison.

Yes, 100%. No more deactivated or live viruses. We just get our own cells to produce the protein necessary for the immune response. And the possibilities are endless... we might even get mRNA insulin as well, as the technology can theoretically get our cells to produce anything we want.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
for anyone who refuses to take the vaccine that is in line ahead of me... can i have yours?

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
This is is great, the long-term effects study had 101 participants. I think the line we should be going with is the one from the article focusing on the benefits outweighing the risks rather than just yelling that it's safe and shutting down any conversation.
By all means, that's fine, it's just wrong to say there is no long term data at all on mRNA. It's minimal because it's not been used to any great level before, but what there is has shown no issues.

Also, it shouldn't be forgotten that away from mRNA, there's a whole load of other vaccines expected to report soon enough. From the very traditional 'inactivated virus' ones (where I believe one should be reporting trial results tomorrow), to the other approaches like Novavax and AstraZeneca... The point is, if the issue is 'mRNA is new', there should be an alternative along soon enough.

(The irony is I do know people who would prefer to wait for a 'traditional inactivated vaccine'... when there's actually been notable issues with those in the past, with batches not being sufficiently 'inactivated'. Again, super ridiculously rare, happened a long time ago, and if they prefer that approach then fine, a vaccination is a vaccination. But if 'side effects' is that person's problem, then...)

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
By all means, that's fine, it's just wrong to say there is no long term data at all on mRNA. It's minimal because it's not been used to any great level before, but what there is has shown no issues.

Also, it shouldn't be forgotten that away from mRNA, there's a whole load of other vaccines expected to report soon enough. From the very traditional 'inactivated virus' ones (where I believe one should be reporting trial results tomorrow), to the other approaches like Novavax and AstraZeneca... The point is, if the issue is 'mRNA is new', there should be an alternative along soon enough.

(The irony is I do know people who would prefer to wait for a 'traditional inactivated vaccine'... when there's actually been notable issues with those in the past, with batches not being sufficiently 'inactivated'. Again, super ridiculously rare, happened a long time ago, and if they prefer that approach then fine, a vaccination is a vaccination. But if 'side effects' is that person's problem, then...)
This is all good, I wish there was more in-depth conversation on this with the public rather than treating people like idiots. At the end of the day everyone will have the personal responsibility whether to get vaccinated or not.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just want the people in my personal bubble to get vaccinated sooner rather than later, especially my parents. That way, I will still be cautious when I'm out in public (masked up, washing hands, etc.) but can relax that I'm not going to kill my parents because I had to go to Costco to get something.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
See, this is a very dangerous approach in a liberal democracy.
Is it?

We have a collective responsibility to protect each other from this virus, the vulnerable who are unable to get the vaccine shouldn't suffer because someone who can safely get it "wants to wait it out, just because" or "I don't trust vaccines".

Like, get over yourself.