• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I don't say anything or move forward until our Brand Manager has sanctioned it.
vzRTeZ5.gif

... until our Brand Manager has sanctioned it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never once been tempted to break NDAs, it's the whole reason they're so uptight about the entire process...

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten them for big news, but the outlet I do stuff for had a NDA for a particular game since we got review copies like 2+ months early, I.e. the physical media was one pre-final without the final labeling on it. (And the internal ID was different from the final release.)

One of the people reviewing it put it up for pirates to download, and the publisher tracked them down. The bad thing was they were a LOT more strict because of that, and since this was before digital was popular it meant a lot of less-influential outlets got screwed over by that asshat.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sometimes leaks happen to save projects or shed light on wrong doings. It's not the game industry, but the live action deadpool movies wouldn't exist if not for that demo concept footage leaking. I guess what I'm saying is some people leak things with the best intentions and things work out for the best.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
While it isn't a trade secret I have gotten to know some stuff outside the games industry that was told in confidence and would be very detrimental to a major brand if word ever got out. Naturally upon learning this I spent the better part of a few months not saying anything about it. Then I quietly told my family about it when the ghost was clear but not in big detail. Would love to say that it was awesome juicy earth shattering info. But really it was just numbers that would continue to increase by a double digit percent every year for the foreseeable future. Oh and if anyone is inquiring as to if it was good that the numbers were growing by double digit percent's. The answer is a firm hell no it absolutely was not good that the numbers were growing.

So as to answer your why people leak stuff even when under NDA. Dude it's cause I know the people I love would find the info interesting and I know they ain't leaking it.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People leak because the idea of secrets in the video game industry (or any industry) is silly. Everything should be announced the moment work gets underway, almost like you hear about movies hiring directors or writers years before the first logo or trailer is released.

I don't think it would have much impact in the market but in forums like this and social media... if gamers complain about games being different from trailers, a game in early stages sometimes look nothing like the final one. Also, a lot of games get canceled after months or even years of work.

Movies would probably be like this too if it was easier to hide. I mean, you can't simply film a scene in a real world location with no one knowing about it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sometimes leaks happen to save projects or shed light on wrong doings. It's not the game industry, but the live action deadpool movies wouldn't exist if not for that demo concept footage leaking. I guess what I'm saying is some people leak things with the best intentions and things work out for the best.

There's definitely an interesting line to be considered when it comes to leaks of that nature. Deadpool is a good example and I sometimes wonder if some of these games that get revealed later on as being cancelled could've survived if the publisher saw the demand for the concept.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Start by being an adult and respecting the people you work with. It's probably not your job to announce things, so just don't do things that may indirectly do so.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Writing an article at 4AM and not noticing the embargo date because seriously, why didn't I get this done hours ago when I had some semblance of a functioning brain? Thankfully the publisher was pretty cool about it, but I felt like an utter moron.

Honestly, keeping embargoed info secret isn't hard at all. Just... don't talk. The advantage of being trustworthy is far greater than a few seconds of glory from being a leaker.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
People leak because the idea of secrets in the video game industry (or any industry) is silly. Everything should be announced the moment work gets underway, almost like you hear about movies hiring directors or writers years before the first logo or trailer is released.

So let's unpack this.

If my company is pitching fir a piece of business that the current incumbent doesn't know is up for pitch, we should PR it in trade press?

If my company is working on a new product which contains several innovations on existing processes in its industry sector, we should announce that after the first steering committee meeting?

Yeah, I don't think you've really thought about what you're posting and/or ever worked in any product or business development capacity.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Does make you wonder what the secrecy is with games and tech. Do NDAs exist in other industries so prevalently?

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yes, pretty much everywhere. Commercial in confidence agreements, NDAs& a variety of other mechanisms that essentially say 'Keep your mouth shut about the new stuff.'
Interesting. We don't have anything remotely similar at our job just "don't speak to the press" when asked about some controversial thing. Which is fine because all I could do is the Jim Shrug

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
For most cases if I'm under an NDA I refuse to talk about anything related to that project.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
On era it can be tempting to want to guide people a little when you see a completely off base discussion about something you know but sometimes it's fun to watch the insanity and crazy opinions unfold. Generally you only talk about nda stuff with your peers under the same nda.

With movies generally you can imagine what you'll get when it's done. Games is more risky to announce that early because things can change much more drastically through development, concepts get changed or dropped or shelved, etc. Sometimes a game will even get cancelled a decent way into development. The general audience also doesn't understand how games are made so if early development shots were put out people would think it looks like shit or later riot when that thing shown years ago isn't in the final build. I think there's an opportunity to share the development process with the public which in turn would hopefully educate them but it's a matter of finding a studio up to the task.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
There are a ton of people on this website who pretend to be insiders for attention and tease an amalgamation of information they're seen posted elsewhere online.

The fact that a lot of Era users can't control themselves and straight up buy it leads to that information or that posters status appearing more genuine.

Find any pre-E3 2018 hype thread and count the amount of "insiders" "confirming" that the game that became Sekiro was "100%" Bloodborne II. FROM threads are the worst for it but it happens with other Devs too.

OP
OP
golguin

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
How was this "accidental"? You were about to consciously share content you knew was covered by the NDA but thought stripping out any company details would make it harder to identify.

I'm really not sure what either you or your boss were thinking, OP...

It was a timing issue. Images/content can be disclosed once the time is up. Some things can only be shared years after the fact. This particular case would have been a bit early.

The cool thing was almost unidentifiable to me and I knew what it was. The company was getting ready to share the work, but the message hadn't gone live yet. The email after the fact was to clarify that it was a sneak preview for us and not for sharing yet.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't work for every industry. If you have for example innovative tech, like a new phone that people haven't seen before, why would you want to give up your competitive advantage?

There's nothing wrong with wanting things to be secret or a surprise.

If I care about something, of course I want to learn more about it, but I get why companies are secretive.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Everything should be announced the moment work gets underway
HA HA HA. NOPE

secrecy is done for meany reason, spoiler, control of information, hype, timeline/ schedules, competition

see Prime 4, Nintendo announced it likely when it was just on the drawing table, and up to the "we are resetting production" video, every single month, event, we got people rambling, BUT WHY IS THERE NO MORE NEWS ABOUT METROID!!!!!

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bound by NDAs for (some high profile) game companies I've worked for in perpetuity. And a few of them are quite litigious. Lots of information I'd love to share but can't. It's a combination of "not worth the potential legal headache" and respect for the work of my friends and colleagues.

I do love chatting about stuff that's not secret, though. I'm out of the industry now but I still love following/thinking about it.

Edit: Oh, and I've been on the investigative end of leaking. If you're in a vendor or contract role, there's a good chance we'll find you unless you're a exceptionally good at covering your tracks or the company is really bad at investigating.

How would you find a leaker? Just curious.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
How would you find a leaker? Just curious.
Pretty simple to be honest.

First you Google their name to see if their one of those people who really just are that open about who they are. Then you go and pursue legal against the places where their accounts are held. If it's a QA Test leak you run through and question everyone involved in each test. See if their typing styles are the same. Depending on what their leaking if it's MP that would be almost trivial to figure out who leaked. If it's a SP game you most likely already implemented hidden watermarks into the game that only you can see. Sorta like how Microsoft embedded your information into the pulsing rings on the old NXE dashboard.

Personally I've leaked a good lot of things before, but it's almost impossible to link me to that name as I went through many many different precautions to do so. Though on topic it basically it comes down to if the person is seeking attention or not.

Some companies are really damn good at it some are pretty bad at it.

data

Oct 25, 2017
You don't share anything until after it's been publicly announced?

I don't think that's hard to do. Rather keep my job and my livelihood. Leaking anything can basically get you marked in the industry.

Is there any reason to share it earlier other than bragging rights about preemptive knowledge?

Jun 17, 2018
I'm happy not to share anything with the wider world after signing an NDA but you can bet your ass I've had my closest friends coming over and checking those games out. Especially since I know they aren't posters on online forums.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Honestly breaking NDA would be too much effort for me. No one would believe me and I'd be risking a lot.

So instead I just go into speculation threads and observe people's theories. Some folks definitely have a good sense of what's to come, others not so much.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
For years I worked for (and then managed) a gaming website, and during that time I hit 'publish' on multiple articles that leaked major AAA games or new information about them.

Now I work on the other side of the industry, and I see how much anxiety, sadness, disappointment, and *extra work* leaks and NDA breaks like these cause for so many people.

On one side, writers and editors answer to their executives, and leaks provide tons of pageviews, link-backs, revenue via ads, and reputation (assuming the leak is accurate). It's like an unspoken golden standard of reliability and reputation. Kotaku and Eurogamer publish great content, but would we hold them in such high esteem if they weren't leaking consoles and games?

On the other side, these developers and publishers spend literally years of their lives pouring so much hard work into a project they love, and entire teams are hired and spend months preparing exactly how the project will be revealed and what details will be shared. So many details at that point are still up in the air and unconfirmed, too.

That makes it especially frustrating when someone decides to leak all of the information according to when *they* decide it should be shared. That not only belittles the work of hundreds of people, but also taints the reveal in a huge way if the leaked information isn't accurate, or contains elements or mechanics that are no longer viable in the final product.

I understand both sides, truly. Looking back though, I understand now that pushing leaks and breaking NDAs is a profoundly selfish thing to do, and is mentally harmful and taxing on the people who make the games we love.

If they spent years of their lives making something, why can't we wait months for them to reveal it on their own terms?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Although tempting, it's really not that hard unless you already have a strongly established social media presence. I just avoid chiming in any discussion related to the projects I'm working on, Studios I worked at or Companies I was associated with. Better safe than sorry. When in doubt just do nothing.