• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've argued a few times here that Super Mario Galaxy is the closest we've come to perfection in a videogame. I really, really, really can't find a single major flaw that the game has. The gameplay is perfect, the OST incredible, the atmosphere was nailed so hard that not even its direct sequel could get it as right, the level design sheer creativity it shows in every pixel of the game hasn't been matched by any other 3D platformer (and maybe platformer in general).

The level of polish in this game is something else. So many little details in pretty much every aspect of the game, like for example how the music of the observatory subtly changes from this:

to this

As the game progresses. Or how every level is almost its own game in terms of aesthetics and mechanics. Or how Spring Mario is the best power-up in the franchise.

I see why some prefer Galaxy 2, and honestly just having Yoshi puts it really close to Galaxy 1 in my opinion, but in the end I still vastly prefer 1's atmosphere, hub world, and music. To be fair, I haven't played Odyssey either but the stuff I've seen about the moons doesn't really make me think it'll beat Galaxy for me (again, I haven't played it yet. Maybe I'll love it, who knows).

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 2*

Honestly, it baffles me when anyone says Galaxy 1 is better than 2, I play both of them all the time and the level of creativity and originality is out of this galaxy in the 2nd game.

The only thing Galaxy 1 did better than 2 is the story part of it when the 2nd one clearly didn't even care about that, and that's fine.

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be Mario 64 or Mario Odyssey.

The first Galaxy isn't even the best Mario Galaxy game.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I prefer the sandbox-style and deeper movement mechanics of 64 and Odyssey. I loved Galaxy at release but these days I have to say that Mario's movement is just way too neutered and less skill-based even compared to similarly linear entries in the series like SMW, SMB3, or 3D World.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game but the hub is half-baked and the story is perfunctory.

At least 2 made it easier to jump straight into the platforming.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Galaxy 2 is better.

People like to complain about Odyssey being easy, but Galaxy was much easier and newb-friendly.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Throwback Galaxy in Galaxy 2 proves that a 64 remake would be the best 3D platformer ever.

That being said, my personal favorite is Galaxy 2.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Galaxy 2 > 64 = odyssey > galaxy > sunshine > 3d land. Haven't played 3d world yet so I'm still waiting for that 3d world port.
However when it comes to 2d platformers, DKC is superior to 2d Mario.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 2*

Honestly, it baffles me when anyone says Galaxy 1 is better than 2, I play both of them all the time and the level of creativity and originality is out of this world in the 2nd game.

The only thing Galaxy 1 did better than 2 is the story part of it when the 2nd one clearly didn't even care about that, and that's fine.

The 2nd one drags. First one is the true masterpiece.

Dukes

Oct 27, 2017
I personally like 3D world better but Galaxy is certainly up there. 3D world was just so fun to play multiplayer with my kiddos, The bubble mechanic made it so accessible and we could all have fun together.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The limited and gimped movement options when compared to 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey.
The pointless hub world.
The 30 or so filler stars.
Awful boss fights.
Overly restrictive linearity and lack of exploration.
The overly easy difficulty.

All of these issues make it the second worst 3D Mario game, aside from 3D World for me.

I guess people have started building up nostalgia for this game but it is really flawed and it's issues are even more now apparent than they were in 2007. It has the best soundtrack and presentation in the entire series but parts of it don't hold up gameplay wise. Like all those motion control specific stages. Galaxy 2 also has some of these issues but they are far less apparent and the level design was much stronger, as was the overall difficulty of the game.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best mario games. odyssey is a better controlling one i'll admit but the levels and ost are some dook. 3d world has a lot of charm but galaxy 1/2 is just endless amounts of amazement

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it is a Mario game. I like the linearity.

It wouldn't be that big of a problem if the game was a bit more fast paced but you are subjected to constant masked loading times as the game launches Mario to another planet. The whole game is way to segmented. It at times doesn't feel like i'm exploring a Galaxy just clearing a collection of self contained small and easy challenges.

RandomDudeSTL

Dec 5, 2017
Pointing at star bits to pick them up is dumb, as are the waggle controls. Hub world is pointless. Levels are too small and linear with little to no exploration. 2 was an improvement, but 64 is still the GOAT 3D Mario imo.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy was a very good game, but Galaxy 2 greatly improved on the first game's foundation and fixed a lot of its flaws.

Nov 11, 2017
User Warned: drive-by post
Another day, another baity 'Extremely subjective opinion stated as fact' thread title. Never change ERA

Edit: Okay, I deserved that. I just get tired of seeing this same thread over and over again, but there are more elegant ways of making that point.

Last edited:

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
So you claim it's the best ever made, but haven't even played Mario Odyssey one of the possible competitors for this title? ok. Cool post but next time don't use a title like that, it's not a fact.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The whole game is way to segmented. It at times doesn't feel like i'm exploring a Galaxy just clearing a collection of self contained small and easy challenges.

You've described exactly what Galaxy is. It's not about exploring galaxies, it's about linear progression from one little self contained challenge to the next.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Nah its 64 and not close imo

That game was revolutionary

A crack in time was pretty fantastic too

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in terms of just pure mechanics, but as the total package, it'll always be Mario 64 for me.

Which makes me think... Why doesn't Nintendo remaster their N64 games? They'd make a killing off Mario 64 and OoT running at a clean 60fps.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Agree, people who say Galaxy 2 is better simply remove everything else that makes Galaxy 1 better and just use as reasoning that galaxies are better (maybe, but its not like Galaxy 1 galaxies are trash)

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've argued a few times here that Super Mario Galaxy is the closest we've come to perfection in a videogame. I really, really, really can't find a single major flaw that the game has. The gameplay is perfect, the OST incredible, the atmosphere was nailed so hard that not even its direct sequel could get it as right, the level design sheer creativity it shows in every pixel of the game hasn't been matched by any other 3D platformer (and maybe platformer in general).

6697478-B-4-F23-4-F04-8-C16-9-C75-A7-AF2230.jpg

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
Not playing all major 3D platformers (not even all Mario ones) makes this kinda premature. Play all the big games, then decide which one is the best. And maybe write a more diplomatic thread title.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Yes I agree. The sense of freedom in Galaxy 1 is incredible. If someone asked "I have never played a Mario game, where should I start?" I would say Galaxy 1, although SMW 1/2 and SM64 mean more to me personally. If there is one flaw in Galaxy 1, I would say it's the part where you have to revisit levels and collect the purple coins, that drags on a bit.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy is fine on the first playthrough, but the terrible pacing made me gave up on ever replaying it.

On the other hand, I've finished 3D World once with every character and I'm going for a sixth playthrough right now. It just feels so good to control the characters in that game.