• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
RIP AAF. They were fun games but not surprised its happening. I hope some of their better players get a call from the NFL. Gilbert should hopefully be a 3rd string QB for a team.

So now its Vince's turn to suspend operations.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
You were too good for this world.

Rescind the tag of RBH !
I'm literally begging any upcoming football startup to not put a team in fucking Atlanta

The Curse
giphy.gif

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the NuXFL is going to crumble even faster. Didn't the AAF even have some NFL connections and it still couldn't float?

Oct 25, 2017
At least they waited until after April 1st to announce this, unlike Major League Lacrosse which announced they were contracting three teams yesterday.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The regular season isn't even over yet. Very sad.

My Fleet have been sunk.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need a sad anime picture of a sinking Fleet.

I predict there will never be another spring football league ever again unless the NFL puts it out themselves, which will likely never happen again after NFL Europe.

Vince wasted all that Saudi blood money, and Fox deal cash on a league that probably won't even launch.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
The only way a D-League for the NFL will ever work is if they themselves create it. XFL may last longer than this did, but it wont be a mainstay and it definitely will not become the NFL D-League. It too will die out just like all the rest.

I agree with other posters though, AAF died as soon as they stopped showing the games on CBS after week 1. They needed that partnership. Putting games on CBS Sports and other off-shoot channels killed it.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
The only way a D-League for the NFL will ever work is if they themselves create it. XFL may last longer than this did, but it wont be a mainstay and it definitely will not become the NFL D-League. It too will die out just like all the rest.

I agree with other posters though, AAF died as soon as they stopped showing the games on CBS after week 1. They needed that partnership. Putting games on CBS Sports and other off-shoot channels killed it.
It definitely didn't help it. I thought another issue with the NFL having a G-League like was that the NFLPA wasn't at all in support of it.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017

I think Vince throws as much money as possible into the XFL so that it gets to a second season. That seems like a barrier these leagues can't get over, and Vince's stubbornness will push to make it happen, even if the league is doomed

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Well that sucks, I was enjoying the product for what it was and had hoped to get out to see a game eventually.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if there is no real place for a secondary professional football league in a world where the NFL and college have such a stranglehold on consumer interest. Who could have seen this coming!?! The XFL will fail in similar fashion. People just don't care. Your average fan cares more about their favorite NFL team's offseason, or their college teams spring practices, than they ever will about an AAF or XFL team. Between college, nfl rosters, and nfl practice squads, there is no market inefficiency for talented football players. Anybody who is even remotely good has one of these outlets. What you are left with with secondary leagues then is not diamonds in the rough, or developmental projects, rather it's a bunch of has beens and never weres. And asking people to dedicate hours of entertainment time to that over anything else they could be doing/watching seems foolish.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the NFL at least takes some pointers from the AAF about the pace of the games, eliminating kickoffs and PATs, and changing the on-side kicks.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I think Vince throws as much money as possible into the XFL so that it gets to a second season. That seems like a barrier these leagues can't get over, and Vince's stubbornness will push to make it happen, even if the league is doomed

Agreed, he seems to be financially ready to handle the burden. I would also assume that he has more billionaire friends that will become investors than anyone in the AAF did, which all but confirms that XFL will last longer than this did.

Regardless, getting a second season does not guarantee success. The USFL and UFL both made it to 3 and 4 seasons respectively. Neither of which we would consider a success in any measure.

Sadly, the league that sticks will be the one that the NFL creates on their own. And unfortunately, I am not sure they ever will make one.