• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
BuzzFeed News

Kinda crazy.

Startup Gem.xyz recently removed a core developer, who was known to Gem's staff as Neso and is one of the startup's primary shareholders, after investigating claims of "sexual misconduct." BuzzFeed News has confirmed the individual is Josh Thompson, the same World of Warcraft streamer who used the handles Joshpriest and MethodJosh and was accused by several women of rape, sexual harassment, and the grooming of minors in 2020.

On Saturday, Gem cofounder Lorens Huculak announced in a Discord post that "a member of the team, Neso, has engaged in a pattern of sexual misconduct" and was terminated after a review of unknown claims. CoinDesk first reported on Tuesday that the "anonymous developer" Neso had been ousted from Gem, which has received funding from investment firms Dragonfly Capital and Sfermion.
"As you may know, our company is fully remote, and Neso was an anonymous developer. As such, this was the first we'd learned of allegations of any kind about this individual," Huculak wrote. Huculak declined to further comment on Thompson's departure.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this guy personally through WoW, literally no soul

All scumbags will have a go at the crypto scam pie at least once

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to feel like being a shithead is one of the rules to join the crypto clubhouse.

ehhsobee

Banned
Nov 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Wow. I wondered what the fuck he had been doing. Running an NFT thingy would not have been my first guess. I'm sure he still plays WoW under a pseudonym considering it was the only thing in his life.

Edit: Just watched the video they link to in the article. No doubting that's him. How fucking stupid do you have to be to not use a voice changer?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They really are sending their best* people.

[Translator's Note: "best" means "worst"]

How is this guy not behind bars?

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I used to watch his streams sometimes. Man, he seemed like a weird dude and his Twitch chat was noticeably toxic. Guy is scum of the earth.

Last edited:

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Reading the accounts of his victims was extremely harrowing. The guy is a predator and should be in prison.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
White collar criminals and now serial rapists are using the pseudo-anonymity of the blockchain to enrich themselves. Cool system.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
When even NFT scams throw you out, that shows a lot about how much of an asshole you are tbh.

Not defending the person, but being accused or "allegations" is not proof or proven guilty. Best to not condemn before proven guilty.

Nah Josh doesnt deserve statements like these. There is no reason to not question why the justice system is so slow with this.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
On the one hand, good on the company for seemingly immediately dropping the guy once they realized who he was. On the other hand, do they not do background checks, or even require prospective employees to disclose their identity for tax and payroll purposes? Was this guy being paid under the table? When I got a retail job (I'm in the US), they made me fill out various tax and employment eligibility forms, all of which required me to give my real name, among other personally identifying information. I'm under the impression even remote jobs require such forms. I wouldn't be surprised if it's normal for crypto-related startups to not do their due diligence regarding taxes etc. Sketchiness is their modus operandi, after all.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Being involved in an NFT startup, with intent and knowledge, is literally a red flag as there's no person with any kind of quality values that would do that.

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern Trolling Over Sexual Abuse Allegations; Account in Junior Phase
When even NFT scams throw you out, that shows a lot about how much of an asshole you are tbh.

Nah Josh doesnt deserve statements like these. There is no reason to not question why the justice system is so slow with this.

This is the same mindset that has gotten plenty of innocent people convicted, rushing the process is not the answer and never has been. Do all the investigating before conviction. Everybody, no matter the crime, how you feel about them, or allegations has the right to due process.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same mindset that has gotten plenty of innocent people convicted, rushing the process is not the answer and never has been. Do all the investigating before conviction. Everybody, no matter the crime, how you feel about them, or allegations has the right to due process.

Imagine chosing method fucking josh as the hill to die on...

There is so much evidence about him being a POS online with pretty much no effort required to find it.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
No, it's absolutely fine to judge someone without criminal conviction. Don't be fooled by this rhetoric, not all bad things with proofs get people thrown into jail. Getting judged by society without involvement of the judicial system is absolutely fine and normal

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

We have literal proof for Josh. There is no wrong mindset here.

Status
Not open for further replies.