• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Me 2. They will definitely do it.

I play FH4 on the XOX in the 1080 60 mode and it looks quite good already in motion.. Increasing the resolution with much better drawdistances and shadowdetail etc could make it stunning. I think i also read that the 4k 30 graphical setting had a more advanced form of HDR versus the 1080 performance mode.

Maybe introducing some new form of Raytracing even. Advanced reflections on the paint of the cars etc...
Not sure about the HDR differences between resolutions, but I recall that 4K30 mode might have enhanced lighting implemented for headlights that causes other vehicles and objects to cast shadows. Unless that's exclusive to the PC version. I honestly can't remember.

In either case, yeah, as I was playing the game yesterday, the draw distances on LODs and shadows were definitely noticeable. It's probably just the excitement surrounding Xbox Series X getting to me, but I think FH4 is already such an incredible game, and I can't wait for it to look even better on Xbox Series X.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Not sure about the HDR differences between resolutions, but I recall that 4K30 mode might have enhanced lighting implemented for headlights that causes other vehicles and objects to cast shadows. Unless that's exclusive to the PC version. I honestly can't remember.

In either case, yeah, as I was playing the game yesterday, the draw distances on LODs and shadows were definitely noticeable. It's probably just the excitement surrounding Xbox Series X getting to me, but I think FH4 is already such an incredible game, and I can't wait for it to look even better on Xbox Series X.
I looked it up. I was wrong:

www.eurogamer.net

Forza Horizon 4 on PC is one patch away from perfection

Playground Games is back with a new Forza Horizon, complete with a creditable PC port just a patch or two away from bei…
consolesettings included in the article.

But it still will be a very noticable difference.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a silly question but here goes ...

Why do these games need 'some work' by the BC team? Why can't you simply select a higher resolution like we do on PC?

Is it simply so they can QA each game to make sure it looks and runs fine before allowing it to be enhanced?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a silly question but here goes ...

Why do these games need 'some work' by the BC team? Why can't you simply select a higher resolution like we do on PC?

Is it simply so they can QA each game to make sure it looks and runs fine before allowing it to be enhanced?

The original games, unlike for PC, don't have user settings to configure resolution. And it's not just a quick switch in the code to do it, either. So there needs to be some change to the package to enable higher resolutions.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Whoops, it was "in theory" that it could be applied to all games. Changed in the OP and put in a title update request.
Yup, if it's the same system used for Halo3 and Mirror's Edge, it depends if the colors are rendered at 10-12bit anytime during the graphical pipeline.

EDIT: ok, EvilBoris explained the facts way better than me :D

Did I understood this right? Will all physical XBox One games be compatible with the XBox Series X?
That was confirmed months ago by the BC team.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is still being nebulus on more BC games being added or not:

Much better than a "no" at least!

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I'm not in the Xbox ecosystem and don't intend to start, but I'm incredibly impressed with MS' strategy for BC and the Series X's specs overall. They're doing a phenomenal job. It's night and day from the Xbox One reveal.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh? Are you aware of titles that couldn't work on the XB1?

I'd be a bit surprised if MS started making certain BC games exclusive to the Series X.

There are titles which had no obvious reason for having not been included in BC, I'd have to go and update my list of games I saw in testing to remember which ones they were.
Those would be the obvious ones, there were titles that were seen long long ago which seem to have been mysteriously omitted

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There are titles which had no obvious reason for having not been included in BC, I'd have to go and update my list of games I saw in testing to remember which ones they were.
Those would be the obvious ones, there were titles that were seen long long ago which seem to have been mysteriously omitted

I just figured it was licensing stuff or just general incompatibilities with the BC tool.

Sounds like a "yes but it's too soon to talk about it" to me ! :P

Yeah, it leaves me pretty hopeful.

Jan 11, 2020
So BC is still miles better for team green?
The Vita, PSone through 4 was a pipe dream and it seems Sony wont deliver on even PS4 BC in the way we hoped :(

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Microsoft is not joking around, and i do hope they even the field a bit, i feel Sony is kinda complacent these days.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
the notion about implementing REAL HDR into older games too is fascinating AF too.

HOW Is that not amazing to achieve!?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You're telling me that there is a chance for Series X enhanced Dead Space games?
:D

Well, that's the other part of the story.
If there was some kind of spec limitation for doing the Heutchy method across more games.....that's now gone thanks to just how much more powerful the SX is.
So perhaps we will see a big increase in enhanced games for 360 too, they already made the noises about doing it to Xbox one games, so why not go further.

Besides, I think the drip feed of new enhancements is a nice way to fill the marketing pipeline with regular Xbox content

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If there was some kind of spec limitation for doing the Heutchy method across more games.....that's now gone thanks to just how much more powerful the SX is.
So perhaps we will see a big increase in enhanced games for 360 too, they already made the noises about doing it to Xbox one games, so why not go further.

Besides, I think the drip feed of new enhancements is a nice way to fill the marketing pipeline with regular Xbox content

I could easily see the 8k content void filled by BC games.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

My thoughts too.
I could easily see the 8k content void filled by BC games.
8k RDR1, I'm waiting for it...

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm not in the Xbox ecosystem and don't intend to start, but I'm incredibly impressed with MS' strategy for BC and the Series X's specs overall. They're doing a phenomenal job. It's night and day from the Xbox One reveal.

The most incredible about it is that they are creating the perfect environment for a netflix of games. Sony and nintendo are not. But these two have much more to gain than Microsoft if they did.

Sony would do wonders bringing ps3 games with improvements next gen.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
So BC is still miles better for team green?
The Vita, PSone through 4 was a pipe dream and it seems Sony wont deliver on even PS4 BC in the way we hoped :(
Yes, MS' BC is far better that what we are seeing from Sony. Not to knock Sony, but MS is just many steps ahead of them in regards to BC and I think it mainly has to do with MS' software capabilities and vast pool of engineers. That's a huge plus to have at your disposal. Remember, MS' has engineers in all facets of software development. It shouldn't be a surprise that they have the leg up on BC. They make windows and directx for fs sake! lol.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Spartycrunch chimmed in also

Every single game you can run on an Xbox One will also run on Xbox Series X. They will also run better by default. Just like Xbox One --> Xbox One X. Some may get even further enhancements like automatic HDR or resolution bumps, depending on what the compatibility team is able to pull off.

No "boost mode", no variability. Everything just works, and works better. Every back-compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 game, and every single Xbox One game.

All of the controllers you bought for your Xbox One will also work on Xbox Series X, and will get a firmware update to take advantage of dynamic latency input too

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm simply repeating what Xbox Wire already publicly said in February 🙂

news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...
news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation - Xbox Wire

A few months ago, we revealed Xbox Series X, our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you, the player, at its center. When it is released this holiday season, Xbox Series X will set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, all while allowing...

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm simply repeating what Xbox Wire already publicly said in February 🙂

news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...
news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation - Xbox Wire

A few months ago, we revealed Xbox Series X, our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you, the player, at its center. When it is released this holiday season, Xbox Series X will set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, all while allowing...

Right, but I don't think they put a "100% compatibility" to paper; just broader terms like "thousands" and all that.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'm so full at the Xbox buffet but MS keeps giving us new delicacies from all over the world. Can anyone have too much of a good thing here.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Yep, this right here. I hope they'll clarify whether BC is 100% or will be like PS5's.

I need to know if the XSX will completely replace my X1X or if I need to keep the 1X.
Really? Do you still need clarification?

www.yahoo.com

The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library. Microsoft's new console will play the vast majority of your current Xbox library.

With the PlayStation 5, many of the games you purchased on the PlayStation 4 won't move forward, Sony announced on Wednesday.

MS has always been commited to bringing your entire XBox library with you for next gen. All of your Xbox One (and X) games will run natively, all the 360 games that were compatible with the XBox One (and X) will be compatible with SX, all of your Xbox games that were compatible with the XBox One and X will again work on the SX. No kinect games obviously. That's it.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
All I know is that cyber punk , resident evil 3 , doom eternal, gears 5 , halo infinite, forza 7 , horizon 4 and many more will work on the Xbsx on day 1 with better upgrades. Will the ps5 have a category of 1000+ games on day 1 ? . I have both sys and getting both next gen sys on day 1 but right now all 3rd party games are getting brought on my xbx bc of the backward capability

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
"select Xbox One games will get an update to 4k on the series X from the BC (no work on the part of the developer is required). "

This is huuuuge, can we have the ability to bruteforce all og Xbox/360 games to 4K please? I dont care if some end up glitchy or whatever

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"select Xbox One games will get an update to 4k on the series X from the BC (no work on the part of the developer is required). "

This is huuuuge, can we have the ability to bruteforce all og Xbox/360 games to 4K please? I dont care if some end up glitchy or whatever
This isn't being done by "bruteforce", the BC team is using an evolved Heutchy method they have to apply to XB1 games individually to get this to work, similar to how they X enhanced BC OG Xbox and select X360 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.