• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God please please get Mankind Divided and Batman Arkham Knight at a higher resolution.
Metal Gear Solid V too please.

It won't compensate for lower-quality textures (c'mon AI texture enhancement) and models, but hoo boy Arkham Knight and Mirror's Edge Catalyst looking clean as a whistle is the true next-gen feature

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive and Gears of War Judgement are the two that I really want! Great news about Gears Ultimate which was another I really wanted too.
I really hope Sunset Overdrive gets enhanced. Batman Arkham Knight is one in desperate need too.
Maybe Tekken 7 and Dead Rising 3 won't have to be 720p anymore.
I believe it's going to be like Xbox 360 X enhanced, it will be dependent on what titles the BC team has worked on and it's likely they continue to add more titles after XSX releases.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The thought of Sunset in 4k and proper hdr is making my mouth salivate
Yeah, it's actually kind of funny that my excitement regarding Xbox Series X largely has to do with playing games I already love at higher graphical fidelity. I'm hoping for Forza Horizon 4 to be running at 4K60 and Sunset Overdrive to be running at 4K(60?) close to launch, if not at launch.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's actually kind of funny that my excitement regarding Xbox Series X largely has to do with playing games I already love at higher graphical fidelity. I'm hoping for Forza Horizon 4 to be running at 4K60 and Sunset Overdrive to be running at 4K(60?) close to launch, if not at launch.
Forza Horizon 4 is likely to get a specific XSX enhancement patch from the devs on XSX.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hope so, considering the fact that we probably won't be seeing Forza Horizon 5 for a while now. Whether it's automatic or specifically developed, however, I just look forward to playing an even better version of the game.
Well the biggest reason is FH4 is still being touched up by the developers and they have the XSX specs just like Gears 5, MCC, Ori and the Will of the Wisps. State of Decay 2, Bleeding Edge, Forza Horizon 4, Minecraft Dungeons, Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3, Grounded, and Tell Me Why.

Pyschonauts 2, MS Flight Simulator, Battletoads, and Crossfire X will also get XSX upgrade patches but not sure if they will release on XB1 before XSX launches.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.

Ok I was skeptical about the system-level HDR thing but this sounds awesome?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok I was skeptical about the system-level HDR thing but this sounds awesome?

I think it's an interesting approach to try and make that old content look closer to new, because actually once you get used to good HDR content, SDR content does look flat and dull by comparison, so if I can add a bit of sheen to help me forget about that then that's cool.
Many TVs are doing this type of thing already, but it is so intense and processor heavy for them, that it's useless for games due to the amount of lag it introduces.

There are obviously some interesting discussions to be had about artistic intent and revisting older content to make it look different and of course the old "fake hdr" thing of what exactly IS hdr and when is it not.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think it's an interesting approach to try and make that old content look closer to new, because actually once you get used to good HDR content, SDR content does look flat and dull by comparison, so if I can add a bit of sheen to help me forget about that then that's cool.
Many TVs are doing this type of thing already, but it is so intense and processor heavy for them, that it's useless for games due to the amount of lag it introduces.

There are obviously some interesting discussions to be had about artistic intent and revisting older content to make it look different and of course the old "fake hdr" thing of what exactly IS hdr and when is it not.

Is this similar to what LG OLEDs do in their "HDR Effect" picture mode? I was avoiding that like the plague but maybe I'll watch a few things that are SDR and see if I like it.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is this similar to what LG OLEDs do in their "HDR Effect" picture mode? I was avoiding that like the plague but maybe I'll watch a few things that are SDR and see if I like it.

It's that type of thing, I don't know how they achieve it on the LG, but perhaps in a similar way. It can work really well, but then you get a certain type of content appear on screen and it melts your face off as a clipped highlight on white shirt makes your TV glow.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Machine Learning HDR tech was bloody impressive, I love that MS tech team HDR'd Fusion Frenzy, something unimaginable back then. Lol.

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see MS continuing their fantastic BC efforts from this generation. Almost certainly guarantees a Series X purchase by me at some point.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to implement machine learning AI to image clarity and not just HDR like the fan projects made with gigapixel?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
*lights a candle in his Mirror's Edge Catalyst shrine*

*also looks over at his Assassin's Creed Unity shrine, though it is not as robust as his Mirror's Edge shrine*

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
It is expected that they would upres some existing Xbox One games, either by game patch or at the Xbox engineer level. Given their incredible level of skill and expertise on Xbox 360 BC, I would expect something more. A generalizable up-resing method, or something to unlock framerate limits in games as they allude to, would be incredible.

Dec 11, 2017
I can't believe how excited I am to play old games that I already own on this new hardware, let alone actual next gen games.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Question: assuming PS5 goes for a similar overall approach, do you think MS and Sony to also sell dedicated next-gen SKUs for selected games with even more next-gen features other than those mentioned in this article, like RTX, better textures and so on?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this makes games like Sekiro even smoother then I'll wait to replay it when the console comes out.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Isolation and Dark Souls 3 are both great picks; I'd throw Ace Combat 7 into consideration as well.

Would love to see Sleeping Dogs get a 4kish resolution increase.

There are a good number of the HD remasters from this gen that would be a nice fit for this. I'd love to see the ported 3D Resident Evil games given a 4k bump.

If this makes games like Sekiro even smoother then I'll wait to replay it when the console comes out.

That's going to happen with out without these features. Sekiro runs with an uncapped framerate so the Series X should brute force that to 60fps for most, if not all, situations.

Ubersnug

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
From the moment Phil hinted about increased resolutions to existing Xbox one games, I had only one game in my mind...Battlefield 4 and how glorious it could look being dragged out of it's muddy 720p hole.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
Shouldn't Gears Ultimate be able to run 4K on X1X anyway? It's 1080p on base Xbox One
Yeah but that requires the developer to patch it themselves. This is MS doing the work for them.

Microsoft is the developer as well here, but I doubt they'd be showing the forced 4K if they were going to patch the game as well.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
"It likely comes as no surprise to discover that Series X can technically run the entire Xbox One catalogue, but this time it's done with no emulation layer - it's baked in at the hardware level. Games also benefit from the full CPU and GPU clocks of Series X (Xbox One X effectively delivered 50 per cent of its overall graphics power for back-compat), meaning that the more lacklustre of those performance modes added to many Xbox One X games should hopefully lock to a silky smooth 60fps. " https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs
That last bit is exactly what I want!
It's just too bad that many games still don't have an X patch, then it will be the regular XB1 version I assume.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
From the moment Phil hinted about increased resolutions to existing Xbox one games, I had only one game in my mind...Battlefield 4 and how glorious it could look being dragged out of it's muddy 720p hole.
Battlefield 4 at Native 4K, steady 60fps and Auto HDR on XSX could even make me abandon Modern Warfare 2019.
Finger crossed!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think microsoft ar going to excel, and show some serious advancements over the competition when it comes to software next gen.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Something I noticed and hasn't been mentioned yet since I saw the videos yesterday: I didn't see a Xbox 360 launch emulation at the beginning when they booted up The Cave. Did anyone else notice? Wonder if they will also integrate stores, UI and such things.

Also, The Cave was a really brutal example to use given that we cannot buy this game anymore on the store ;)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Something I noticed and hasn't been mentioned yet in the videos yesterday: I didn't see a Xbox 360 launch emulation at the beginning when they booted up The Cave. Did anyone else notice? Wonder if they will also integrate stores, UI and such things.

Also, The Cave was a really brutal example to use given that we cannot buy this game anymore on the store ;)

That was showing off the suspend feature right? It would have already done that on the first boot of the game.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
#BuildingTheList

720-900p Hell:
- Battlefield 4
- Battlefield: Hardline
- Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
- Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Sunset Overdrive
- Watch Dogs
- Watch Dogs 2
- Assassin's Creed Unity
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed Black Flag
- Ryse: Son of Rome
- Tekken 7
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Dead Rising 3
- Far Cry 4
- Far Cry Primal
- The Evil Within

1080p Mediocrity:
- Alien Isolation
- Ace Combat 7
- Dark Souls 2
- Dark Souls 3
- Sleeping Dogs
- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

X360 Missing Enhancements:
- Lost Odyssey
- Gears of War: Judgment
- Asura's Wrath
- Midnight Club: Los Angeles
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

+ sadly many many more that i am missing, but this is what i personally want.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#BuildingTheList

720-900p Hell:
- Battlefield 4
- Battlefield: Hardline
- Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
- Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Sunset Overdrive
- Watch Dogs
- Watch Dogs 2
- Assassin's Creed Unity
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed Black Flag
- Ryse: Son of Rome
- Tekken 7
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Dead Rising 3
- Far Cry 4
- Far Cry Primal
- The Evil Within

1080p Mediocrity:
- Alien Isolation
- Ace Combat 7
- Dark Souls 2
- Dark Souls 3
- Sleeping Dogs
- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

X360 Missing Enhancements:
- Lost Odyssey
- Gears of War: Judgment
- Asura's Wrath
- Midnight Club: Los Angeles
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

+ sadly many many more that i am missing, but this is what i personally want.
Hell yea, I cannot believe I forgot Sunset Overdrive. Though it's one of the sharpest 900p games. MGS V and Batman Arkham Knight on the other hand...
Man, I really hope they will bump them up, I don't need 4K but at least 1440p would do wonders.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I'd hope so, considering the fact that we probably won't be seeing Forza Horizon 5 for a while now. Whether it's automatic or specifically developed, however, I just look forward to playing an even better version of the game.
Me 2. They will definitely do it.

I play FH4 on the XOX in the 1080 60 mode and it looks quite good already in motion.. Increasing the resolution with much better drawdistances and shadowdetail etc could make it stunning. I think i also read that the 4k 30 graphical setting had a more advanced form of HDR versus the 1080 performance mode.

Maybe introducing some new form of Raytracing even. Advanced reflections on the paint of the cars etc...

Apr 30, 2019
The BC program makes me almost as excited as the specs do. I probably spent about an equal amount of time paying 360 and OG Xbox games on my one X as I did playing current gen games

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be honest

My only request is that the Yakuza games get cranked all the way up to 4K with HDR.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I was working on some tools based upon the info I have to hand and some of the footage that was released yesterday. I'll try and get some videos of something like Sunset Overdrive using the same type of method that might be used for this HDR reconstruction.
I got halfway there last night with Halo 5 , but I just need to figure out some other colour conversion stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.