• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Man, Sony really has their work cut out from them. Really hoping they offer the same BC stuff with PS5. Would love to play GoW at 4k/60.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's sooo terrible. I thought I'd try it again a little while back and nope... huge drops and stutters everywhere lmao. DX12 was ROUGH early on =X

I don't know if The Coalition will ever fix it which really sucks to be honest. Loved Gears 1 and was really looking forward to playing the remake on PC but that ain't happening with it being virtually unplayable due to the awful stuttering and framerate issues.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Potentially dumb question, but any official confirmation on playing series x games with x1? Like if I'm playing Gears 5 on series x and want to coop with someone on x1, i would assume it would work but wasn't sure. Same with any game with coop.

HDR system explanation from EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
HDR as a baseline is interesting, there has been some bad implementations of it so i wonder what MS's solution is here. either way MS's BC work is incredible, i wish Sony would keep up a bit.

I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had been converted by the game and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.

Last edited:

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Potentially dumb question, but any official confirmation on playing series x games with x1? Like if I'm playing Gears 5 on series x and want to coop with someone on x1, i would assume it would work but wasn't sure. Same with any game with coop.
It happenes now with Xbox One and Xbox 360 games so I don't see why they wouldn't continue it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I'm ready for next gen today. Especially being stuck at home. Hell, Friday seems forever away for Doom and Animal Crossing...

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't Gears Ultimate be able to run 4K on X1X anyway? It's 1080p on base Xbox One

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.
Ah, that's pretty impressive, i thought AI might have something to do with it, it seems it will have a big part to play next gen, probably for upscaling like DLSS too.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, that's pretty impressive, i thought AI might have something to do with it, it seems it will have a big part to play next gen, probably for upscaling like DLSS too.

Well I think the thing to remember is that you don't need AI to perform the operation, rather you need it to do the learning.
This is why there is no machine learning components built into the console, as you wouldn't ever be training an AI on the machine.
I think it's why DLSS is a little bit of a swizz as I don't think it actually uses the tensor cores on a client device to perform that side of it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well I think the thing to remember is that you don't need AI to perform the operation, rather you need it to do the learning.
This is why there is no machine learning components built into the console, as you wouldn't ever be training an AI on the machine.
I think it's why DLSS is a little bit of a swizz as I don't think it actually uses the tensor cores on a client device to perform that side of it.
Yeah tensor cores seem to be a bit of a failure & Nvidia shifting r&d costs onto consumers, i would not be surprised to see them gone in Ampere.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

What's more, the team has also designed the system to enable cross generation multiplayer, as well as introduce new features such as Smart Delivery, which ensures you only have to purchase a title once, knowing you will get the best version of the title on whatever Xbox console you choose to play on. This will allow players to seamlessly move between multiple consoles and console generations as they see fit. Xbox Series X is the fastest, most powerful Xbox console ever, designed for a console generation that has you at its center.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation - Xbox Wire

A few months ago, we revealed Xbox Series X, our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you, the player, at its center. When it is released this holiday season, Xbox Series X will set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, all while allowing...

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

That sounds absolutely amazing, and it sounds like the type of intricate feature that Sony may not be able to match. Time will tell though.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now the BC team are going to flex and show how they can deliver a truly special next gen BC solution. Very impressed with todays news.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Alien Isolation in 4K with HDR would be amazing. Also the difference in load times is pretty significant as well.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
It's wild that BC got me to buy a One X and now it's going to get me to buy a Series X lol

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EvilBoris Looks like you were right about evolving the Heutchy method to be used on XB1 games on XSX. The one case I'm extremely happy I'm wrong about. LOL

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Alien Isolation in 4K with HDR would be amazing. Also the difference in load times is pretty significant as well.

It will be an interesting one too see, when I've looked at the pre-tonemapped image on PC and many of the materials in the game flat out weren't made with HDR in mind, many even seemingly dim light sources are presented in such a way they would be as bright as the in game sun.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
How well does XoX displays HUD from old titles? Simple upscaling doesnt seem good enough. Does it display crosshairs, for example, thicker than usual?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It isn't? It had mouse problems at launch, which were fixed. It also had a problem in where the rendering resoluton is reduced if you use DPI scaling in Windows, and you need to tick a checkbox in the compatibility menu for the game for it to render at the correct resolution. I think this was never fixed, but just selecting that option fixes it permanently, so no big deal. And other than that there are no issues. It's not a bad port :(
Does it finally have wide screen support

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Amazing, makes think about Sony and their massive library they are leaving behind, cmon Sony, make me a happy lad once again.

Oct 28, 2019
This is why I bought most of my games digitally on xbox. I've always trusted them to be at the forefront of digital libraries.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God please please get Mankind Divided and Batman Arkham Knight at a higher resolution.
Metal Gear Solid V too please.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did I understood this right? Will all physical XBox One games be compatible with the XBox Series X?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sunset Overdrive and Gears of War Judgement are the two that I really want! Great news about Gears Ultimate which was another I really wanted too.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad some devs refused to port their games on Xbox this gen.

Imagine missing out on free upgrades.

Oh right. Most of them would rather sell you the game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.