• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get whats the problem? The faster we get rid of second hand market the better. Devs/pubs get the money from every transaction of their product like they should.

giphy.gif

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
would be cool if you could share games too. like a temporary license transfer or something
movies anywhere let's you do this with your digital movie library, so there is some precedent for a digital collection allowing something like this

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Resales? I feel like it's too easy to take the absolute hand with it.

A proper returns policy? On board with it. That eliminates the issue

Oct 25, 2017
There are two ways this could be implemented technically, neither of which makes any sense for the platform holder.

1) Allow users to sell their license direct to another user. The seller sets the price, they can even make it free. This enables one license to be passed around infinitely, while the product never degrades, thereby directly competing against the purchase of a new copy via the platform holder.

2) Sometimes people suggest that a platform holder allow you to "trade in" a digital purchase. The problem with this is that you giving up your license to play the game holds no monetary value for the platform holder, nor does them receiving your license, as they have an infinite supply of those licenses already. GameStop makes profit per unit physical game sold, so for them a used disc holds actual value. That's why they pay you for it. A platform holder on the other hand is not going to turn around and sell a "used" digital license to another consumer. The concept doesn't even make sense. It's an identical product to a new license and would only serve to undercut their profits for literally no reason.

There may some future where licenses become transferrable under some heavy restrictions, but there will never be a full on "second hand market" for digital games. It doesn't make sense economically or conceptually. All we can do is buy physical if we really care about it and hope that the inevitable slide towards digital only (or physical games being account locked upon install) happens slowly rather than suddenly.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I remember that story about Tesla locking out performance with a software update, but the car in question was never supposed to have it unlocked in the first place
They offer different power outputs and battery ranges via software
electrek.co

Tesla launches $2,000 'Acceleration Boost' for 3.9s 0-60 mph in Model 3 Dual Motor

Tesla has officially launched “Acceleration Boost,” a $2,000 over-the-air software upgrade that makes the 0 to 60 mph acceleration of...

Other companies have started doing the same thing - not just for the stereo systems either

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
I will defend the original Xbox One plan to death. It's the stupid, idiotic hill I'm completely prepared to die on. Being able to essentially convert disk games into digital titles and easily family share with 9 other users would have ruled. But then again, I'm a digital only gamer who already doesn't resell games, so it was all upside for me.

I was only saying the tv tv tv stuff was questionable (though I do really miss the snap feature). I have always been more digital inclined, and I'm one that loves getting a lot of games. If I could digitally share my collection out to friends for a week at a time or something I'd love that convenience.

Feb 9, 2018
You can't sell what you don't own and you don't own digital games. You own a non-transferrable license to play said digital games.

It sucks, yeah, but at least the option is still there for physical (for the most part)
I was gonna say the same thing.

There's a reason I buy physical. Never underestimate the advantages conferred by having a physical product. Unlike digital, under current U.S. law a physical console game, music CD/record/tape, VHS tape/DVD/Blu-ray, or print book is your property when you buy it. You own it, and as your property you have essentially free reign on how and when to transfer ownership or possession of the copy (you just can't legally make and distribute new copies without authorization). The First-sale Doctrine is a wonderful thing. I've benefited greatly from the right to sell, lend, or gift physical games. I still buy retro games that have been out of print for decades (good luck legally downloading a delisted digital game if you missed out on it). I've lent and borrowed games with friends. And a decent number of my old games were hand-me-downs from family or friends. Additionally, physical tends to decline in price faster than digital.

I just really don't see how the supposed convenience of digital outweighs the benefits of physical. It amazes me that not having to get off of one's ass is such a big deal for most people that they're willing to give up ownership to satisfy their laziness. I have a disability, but I'm not above physically swapping out discs.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will defend the original Xbox One plan to death. It's the stupid, idiotic hill I'm completely prepared to die on. Being able to essentially convert disk games into digital titles and easily family share with 9 other users would have ruled. But then again, I'm a digital only gamer who already doesn't resell games, so it was all upside for me.
There was a lot of good stuff in the original plan that got kneecapped due to piracy concerns and effort needed that would go towards money not being made.

Since it happened though everyone has got comfortable with the current situ and we are not going back. It could be done, but people rather point to things like gamepass and how much of a success that is.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm a first-party publisher and my game has sold 100,000 digital copies for $60 each, I've made $6 mil.

In this scenario, if my game has sold 1 mil digital copies but even just one copy out of every 10 (which is a super low estimate considering there is zero downside to buying a used digital game vs a new one) is sold secondhand, I'm losing out on 600,000.

There is literally zero incentive to do this from a publisher standpoint.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Physical games and digital are not the same is the sticking point. Your idea about day 1 dlc or whatever doesn't work either, because the moment you let them sell games you have to let them sell that day 1 dlc the same way.

The nature of digital distribution means there is no difference between new and 'used' copies, which is not the case for physical. In addition, the same nature means that there would be absolutely no new sales period after the very first day because there would always be used copies for sale that cut out the game developers entirely. In the same way, used copies of physical games would be in at least some state of wear, have a good chance of needing longer tobe delivered if you e.g. buy off eBay Vs a new copy from a big company new.

Not everyone is an Activision, it would be disastrous for all indie companies if they had to rely on a market with this kind of digital reselling.
I'm not saying that physical and digital are the same. I'm saying that if people are charged the same for 2 versions, IMO, it is fair to have similar rights.
I talked about the fact that if the problem is not having degradation, the store can put restrictions on selling. for example a license can only be sold 2 or 3 times.
I think this would be worse for AAA companies that indies. I think people that buy indies are much more likely to keep the game (they are cheaper and usually have a niche) while for AAA games there is always something shinier on the horizon. Alongside this AAA suffers heavily from sequelitis. Is there any point on owning [insert yearly franchise] X when [insert yearly franchise] X+1 is usually better?
I'm not an expert so i could be wrong, that is just my opinion.

Again the key would be finding not only a middle ground between how much the user receives from selling and how much the dev/pub receives but a way to make reselling different from buy a new version.
IMO if any store wishes to compete with steam, solving this challenge would push them against steam.

Wouldn't devs probably be opposed though? Sales of their game would then have to compete with people trading the same copies around for probably less money. Feels like it would go against the idea of wanting devs to get more money / a higher cut.
Thats the feature that would also keep publishers from releasing their games on that store.
they would yes. But i'm a costumer hence my opinion should be seen on that perspective. I still think that having devs get a cut of each re-sale + adding some restrictions on when and how many times a game could be sold I think there could be a deal struck that could be heavily benefiting costumers while still giving some fair income to devs.
Honestly, if NFTs can allow the original buyer to get a continual cut of any future sales...this is a solvable problem.
I wonder if it is. If it is solved, IMO, it will be the store that has the chance to push steam out of its market leader.

Aug 9, 2018
would be cool if you could share games too. like a temporary license transfer or something
movies anywhere let's you do this with your digital movie library, so there is some precedent for a digital collection allowing something like this
Isn't this possible already since the PS3 generation?

Oct 28, 2017
All this talk about unable to sell digital games seems to have some odd reasons.

When you sell a physical medium, you also sell the license which is used to check/operate that said game which is physically present on the disc.
Why cannot you transfer your digital license the same way, don't stuff like money transfers in banks and how bitcoin exchanges money already work securely?..why cannot you transfer the ownership of digital license the same way?

Oct 27, 2017
I do actually think that this is the type of problem that a Blockchain could solve.

But an infinitely transferable digital license for a video game would likely be very expensive. Way more than the single use non transferable licences we typically buy today.

I dunno, complaining that you can't sell what is clearly advertised as a single use non transferable licences doesn't make sense to me. We're under no misunderstanding when buying these licenses. I don't see any legal basis for demanding to change the terms after the transaction has completed.

GattsuSama just mentioned that there's something like this already but I think the ideal is:

• Form some sort of limited liability entity in a country that has like no IP protection laws
  • Build it
  • Embrace the chaos
It does make you realize the difference between software that is usually consumable (games, media, etc) which people often use for a limited amount of time before getting bored and moving on versus software that is a long-term purchase like an operating system or productivity apps. Obviously, subscription services for media is pretty much the default now (still pretty new for games) but it would be nice if the market wasn't completely controlled by a few major distributors and customers could choose to resell like they would just a decade ago.

The other solution is remotely "renting" out your hardware/library to others. Rather than paying Google, MS, etc to use their cloud streaming, you have an app that lets you pay a little less to remotely play a game on somebody else's computer while they're not using it. That's pretty much impossible to track and recovers the value of both the hardware and software.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm a first-party publisher and my game has sold 1mil digital copies for $60 each, I've made $6 mil.

In this scenario, if my game has sold 1 mil digital copies but even just one copy out of every 10 (which is a super low estimate considering there is zero downside to buying a used digital game vs a new one) is sold secondhand, I'm losing out on 600,000.

There is literally zero incentive to do this from a publisher standpoint.

You're rather naively assuming everyone that will buy and sell games for the second-hand market will just decide to go to buying full price when most buy and sell second-hand games either cannot afford to buy or do not see games as being worth $60.

In reality, you will find that both sides just sits back and wait for the game to drop in price.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Permanent licenses should be transferable, there's no 2 ways about this. The legality of it has been debated before (I vaguely remember a EU court case about this) but to me it seems like software companies, not just in gaming, are sidestepping the topic but moving to a subscription/support model for everything so the point will eventually be moot.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Digital games have no real world value outside of the platforms they exist on. There's no tangible commodity there to trade. Technically, your physical games are also 'licenses being leased to you' but unlike digital games, once a physical game ends up in a consumer's hands the publishers have no further control over what happens to it. One of the major perks of digital games is the companies have all the leverage now, it's clearly spelled out in those sprawling EULA's that nobody bothers to read. It's why I don't spend more than $20 on a digital game and frankly I don't recall the last time I spent over $10 on one. In essence I consider it expendable money being thrown into a hole, for all practical purposes, and there's a limit on how much I'm willing to do that for each digital game I 'buy'.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're rather naively assuming everyone that will buy and sell games for the second-hand market will just decide to go to buying full price when most buy and sell second-hand games either cannot afford to buy or do not see games as being worth $60.

In reality, you will find that both sides just sits back and wait for the game to drop in price.

No, you'll find that every single person who was buying digitally before is now buying the digital "second hand" copies that are inevitably abundant in nature almost immediately, accessible to everyone, and cheaper than the versions that cost more as "new" despite being identical. From a consumer standpoint you'd have to be an idiot otherwise.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Think it was said here already, but why would anyone buy "new" digital games if there are "used" ones for less available"

Even if your 79.99€ Returnal game had a unique key that allowed you to resell it at some platform, you couldn't tell the difference between old/new game.

Therefore a fair price imo would be 79.98€. The 1 cent should be inventive enough to buy from me. Heck, let's make it 78.99€ and save you a whole Euro.

Unlike physical games that come with some downsides (damaged disc, long shipping time, patch installation ), there is 0 reason for me to give a rebate on my digital PSN Token, because it works just as well as the original one.

In the end the prices would settle where 100€ gift cards from 3rd party vendors are priced.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
COD Modern Warfare 2019 is still selling at full price after two years. I'll only ever pay for it when its at $10 or less after this. There's no reason why games still cost so much years after being released.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'd like to see Steam offer like 10-20% (based on time owned) of purchase price back as store credit. This would be a good way to get something back for games you will never touch again. It might also be beneficial to Valve as a way to promote sales with people having less to play in their library when they start pawning everything off so they can afford that full msrp title that just released. And of course there will always be fools like me sure to buy back sold games few years later when they begin to be missed.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
No, you'll find that every single person who was buying digitally before is now buying the digital "second hand" copies that are inevitably abundant in nature almost immediately, accessible to everyone, and cheaper than the versions that cost more as "new" despite being identical. From a consumer standpoint you'd have to be an idiot otherwise.

I am responding to why people who buy and sell physical second-hand games will not suddenly start paying full price if they can only buy digital.

As for your point about if we did digital second-hand games I agree.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This would have catastrophic effects on developer revenue, especially for indie studios. It would never work

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You can't sell what you don't own and you don't own digital games. You own a non-transferrable license to play said digital games.

It sucks, yeah, but at least the option is still there for physical (for the most part)

I would love to be able to re-sell my license to play digital games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's a huge amount of friction involved in reselling physical games. The seller has to find a buyer, they have to transport the game to the buyer, the buyer has to worry about whether the game is legit and in good condition.

None of that friction would exist in reselling a digital game. That means that as soon as people start reselling a digital game, the game will never be sold as new again and the creator/publisher of that game will no longer make any money from it. Also, because everyone reselling is competing against everyone else who is reselling the game, the price will rapidly drop to 0 as people undercut each other to try to resell their game faster.

If reselling of digital games is enforced, then publishers will stop making games that you can buy licenses for entirely and you'll be stuck with every game being a service game.

Aug 9, 2018
that's just account sharing, no?
I mean that if i'm never gonna play halo mcc again, I should be able to "gift" it to a friend that doesn't own it. It will never happen in the current state of things, but would be really useful
Ah you meant gifting it instead of just sharing, yeah that isn't possible. Still sharing is an alternative for that but yeah it would be nice if you friend didn't need to have your account on his console and you can just flat out gift the game.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
wasn't there some recent legal business regarding selling digital licenses in europe recently?

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
This is why I buy physical whenever possible. No one can stop me from playing my GameCube Wind Waker.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
When a game stops being sold through official channels, the secondhand market becomes the only way to get it. Which means if a digital-only game gets delisted, it becomes legally unobtainable. Something should be done about that.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
If NFTs are a thing then there is 0 reason why digital games cannot be handled in a similar way and transferred for a price.

Zero reason, zero excuse other than holding on to outdated practices on digital assets. This is what ownership should look like. Not sure why anyone would defend the companies or be against a change like this.

When a game stops being sold through official channels, the secondhand market becomes the only way to get it. Which means if a digital-only game gets delisted, it becomes legally unobtainable. Something should be done about that.
If when you buy a digital asset you get a digital key that is the ID for that item that you and only you own then something could be done about that.

I am not talking about the product key to download it, that is just a public ID for an asset. We have to demand the companies give us a digital key as proof of ownership just like we get a disc as proof of physical ownership.

Any excuse against this change is anti consumer.

It does make you realize the difference between software that is usually consumable (games, media, etc) which people often use for a limited amount of time before getting bored and moving on versus software that is a long-term purchase like an operating system or productivity apps. Obviously, subscription services for media is pretty much the default now (still pretty new for games) but it would be nice if the market wasn't completely controlled by a few major distributors and customers could choose to resell like they would just a decade ago.

The other solution is remotely "renting" out your hardware/library to others. Rather than paying Google, MS, etc to use their cloud streaming, you have an app that lets you pay a little less to remotely play a game on somebody else's computer while they're not using it. That's pretty much impossible to track and recovers the value of both the hardware and software.

To me there are two options here:
  1. Digital Streaming services where you pay a sub and gain access, not ownership, to a big library of games.
  2. Digital ownership by the way of the blockchain. When I buy the game in your digital storefront you let me download the game but also give me a key as proof of ownership. A key I can pass/sell/trade whatever.
Robot Cache aims to do this with a crypto currency but I am not sure if that is too volatile to be successful. It needs to be a stable thing.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Robot Cache aims to do this with a crypto currency but I am not sure if that is too volatile to be successful. It needs to be a stable thing.

Robot Cache is non-sensensical scam though, getting 25% of whatever you sell for is ridiculous.
Since you need to wait 3 months to sell, games likely 50% discounted then, so basically that's a $7.5 discount.
I'm sure you can get such preorder discount, even without giving up any game.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017

I'm really confused by what you're saying in your post.

As others have said, if digital games can be sold secondhand and work and function exactly as brand new games, why would anyone ever pay MSRP or directly to a publisher even again, aside from the launch-day buyers? There is no economic advantage for publishers here. And it would irreparably harm game development, as developers see even less return on investment. We'd be living in a world full of GaaS and microtransactions unlocking crucial pieces of gameplay. Game devs say -now- that it's incredibly expensive to develop, why would they still take that risk if their bottom line is cut into?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
A more generous refund option would solve this me thinks.

Less than 2 hours play time and within 14 days of purchase? instant 100% refund.

Over 2 hours and within 14 days of purchase? Here's a 50% refund.

Or something along those lines.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really confused by what you're saying in your post.

As others have said, if digital games can be sold secondhand and work and function exactly as brand new games, why would anyone ever pay MSRP or directly to a publisher even again, aside from the launch-day buyers? There is no economic advantage for publishers here. And it would irreparably harm game development, as developers see even less return on investment. We'd be living in a world full of GaaS and microtransactions unlocking crucial pieces of gameplay. Game devs say -now- that it's incredibly expensive to develop, why would they still take that risk if their bottom line is cut into?

In your example, you're assuming that all the people who buy and sell second-hand games will suddenly change and pay full MSRP now we have gone fully digital.

People who buy and sell second-hand games are the kind of people looking for a bargain. As we go all-digital they will just look for other bargains, be it wait few months or more for a sale or appear in a bundle, go to key sellers, hunt for vouchers, use friends log in, and so on. They are not going to convert into the kind of people that are going to pay full MSRP as you assumed in your example.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Becuse you can't resell them all the more reason they should offer free upgrades and keep the games alive through backwards compatability.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
In your example, you're assuming that all the people who buy and sell second-hand games will suddenly change and pay full MSRP now we have gone fully digital.

People who buy and sell second-hand games are the kind of people looking for a bargain. As we go all-digital they will just look for other bargains, be it wait few months or more for a sale or appear in a bundle, go to key sellers, hunt for vouchers, use friends log in, and so on. They are not going to convert into the kind of people that are going to pay full MSRP as you assumed in your example.
In my example, I'm saying people like me who are nearly 100% digital will be fine to wait a couple of days to a week to get the same digital copy for cheaper (even if it'd only be by 5-10 bucks). Publishers would lose out on most of my purchases and I'm a pretty big spender. I can't be the only one.

My argument is not that people who already buy secondhand games would suddenly buy them firsthand. My argument is that more people would buy secondhand since there is zero inherent downside to buying a digital copy secondhand, it is literally equal to a brand new copy.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
[/QUOTE]
Robot Cache is non-sensensical scam though, getting 25% of whatever you sell for is ridiculous.
Since you need to wait 3 months to sell, games likely 50% discounted then, so basically that's a $7.5 discount.
I'm sure you can get such preorder discount, even without giving up any game.
Sure, I am not saying it HAS to be Robot Cache but something similar that works better.

I did not know about the 25% thing which is bad, but another concern I have is that if you are paid in a specific crypto currency and its value is volatile then it is more risky.

It's not about looking at Robot Cache and saying "See this doesn't work so let's not even try". It's about using this kind of technology that has proven value and use cases for thing like sharing gaming licenses and making digital ownership real.