• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I love Ori but I would be lying if I said it was one of my top 3 for the first 6 months of this year. There are some amazing AAA heavy hitters coming out.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
A good game is a good game. Be excited for the games you want to be excited about. The soundtrack is going to be bonkers and this year looks to be so good for all types of gamers.

My JRPG loving ass is going to be all about TAles of Arise and Xenoblade HD myself, so I feel ya.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ori and the Will of Wisps will be my Game of the Generation.
Best looking game this generation
Best design
Second in music (sorry, I gotta give it to Killer Instinct and Mick Gordon)
Tight gameplay
Cool story
Just a great franchise.
what a post. you're already calling it your game of the generation and having the best design and you haven't even played it yet? okay

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That thread title, man.

Like, it's not weird to be excited for a "smaller" project over the big blockbusters.

Sep 14, 2018
Doesn't that studio have like 200 people or something? And at least somewhat funded by MS since they're publishing?

People really need to see the quotations marks arround "indie" :P

It sounds like you wanted to contrast the big bad manufactured AAA games with the poor indie underdog who is secretly better than all of them.

Silksong is made by 3 people that's an indie game, Ori is much closer to an AAA game than that. And ironically will likely be upstaged by the poor indie underdog that is Hollow Knight, again.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I was really happy about the FF7R delay because it meant I could give Ori 2 the time it deserves.

Mar 29, 2018
It stands to reason that it won't be a complete 180/terrible compared to the first game, and if they loved Blind Forest, then it's not a tough thing to accept as a possibility.
"Will be freaking amazing and a GOTY contender" isn't the same as "it's not tough to accept the possibility I'll like this game".

Tons of people adore originals and are disappointed by similar follow-ups. See RDR, Hotline Miami, etc.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Yeah I really liked the first one as well. Hopefully I'll be able to play this at some point.
Only game I'm more interested that's coming out this year is animal crossing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
"Will be freaking amazing and a GOTY contender" isn't the same as "it's not tough to accept the possibility I'll like this game".

Tons of people adore originals and are disappointed by similar follow-ups. See RDR, Hotline Miami, etc.
I mean, let them be excited then? I don't know why we have this proclivity to have to drag others down who are looking forward to things, no matter how high their hype meter. :)

Mar 29, 2018
I mean, let them be excited then? I don't know why we have this proclivity to have to drag others down who are looking forward to things, no matter how high their hype meter. :)
More than happy for people to be excited! Just calling things GOTY before they're out is never a good idea.

It's premature but worse, personally I've only seen (and experienced) bad things come off the back of that level of hype. A bit of hype and keenness is healthy, but "total unequivocal belief" hype is dangerous. In terms of your enjoyment on release. You're making a vision of the game in your head which probably won't match up with reality, whether the game is great or terrible.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
It's being made by an independent studio, is indie only indie if they self publish?

They call themselves a first party Microsoft studio on their own webpage.

"In 2011, Moon Studios became a Microsoft First Party Developer and is now working on
Ori and the Will of the Wisps."

But yes, technically they are still an independent studio. The game is a Microsoft first party title though. Kind of like how Spider-Man was developed by Insomniac, who was also an independent developer at the time, but the game is a Sony first party title.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I'm right there with you. Without indies, I probably would have really lost most of my interest in video games. Most big budget games nowadays do absolutely nothing for me. Indies, usually, are very fresh and creative, plus they often kill it in the soundtrack department.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely loved the first game, and I can't wait for this one. My only complaint about the first one was that it wasn't longer, because I could've sunk 100 hours into that world.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any of the big budget releases last year really did all that much for me.

Outer Wilds I played in early December and it was far and away my favorite new game I'd played in 2019.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm looking forward to Ori as well. It'll likely be better than some of the AAA games I've played lately.

Story of my life though, really. I play some big hyped up AAA games, get bored of them quickly, then go back to the "indie" games for some actual fun and enjoyment.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It looks great and I loved the first, but I don't think we can call it an Indie game. It's definitely one of my favourite 'Metroidvania' games that's for sure.

And with FF7 getting delayed it might just have free'd up some time for me to play it when I had previously planned to play it in the Summer.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Thanks for all the love, folks :)

Can't wait for you all to get to play it. It's easily been the toughest project I've ever worked just cause of its complexity... I'm pretty certain if you even just liked Blind Forest, you'll love Will of the Wisps.

And to share some news, Gareth did the final recording bits for the Will of the Wisps soundtrack this weekend. It'll be pretty special:

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Feel the same way but with Streets of Rage 4. Feels weird calling it an indie though, it's a AAA franchise from the 90s.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the love, folks :)

Can't wait for you all to get to play it. It's easily been the toughest project I've ever worked just cause of its complexity... I'm pretty certain if you even just liked Blind Forest, you'll love Will of the Wisps.

And to share some news, Gareth did the final recording bits for the Will of the Wisps soundtrack this weekend. It'll be pretty special:

Congrats, that's just beautiful.

Is there any plans for a collector's edition for the PC? or is it xbox only?

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Are those gifs from Ori and the Blind forest or are they from the sequel? Regardless, the game look fantastic. I should give Ori and the Blind Forest a try.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
DLC expansion for Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is what I am most hyped for this April/May.
Embrace the games you love and want to play :)

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Quick, the quotes aren't enough! Make sure you say you know it isn't an indie game before twelve people come in to all point it out!

Edit: Damn it, I wasn't fast enough
Honestly though, the quotes aren't enough. You wouldn't ever call Luigi's Mansion 3 an "indie" game - in quotes or otherwise. But I guess since Ori is a sidescroller and a relatively new IP it must be "indie"? It's silly.

Anyway, I can't fucking wait for Ori, it feels like I've been waiting forever and I absolutely adored the first game.

Oct 25, 2017
Ori 2 is also one of my most expected games of the year, and in the last few years, the best games of the year always ended up being either independent or medium sized productions, so i can understand you OP

My most expected game this year is Spelunky 2, for example, but amongst my most expected projects are games like Psychonauts 2, OMORI, Desperados 3, Eastward and a lot of other games that aren't necessarily AAA

I wonder how many people worked on it.

Around ~80 people from what i've read.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno, what is an "indie game" at this point? like five years ago i'd pin Ori under that label, but now it's "AA" if i had to choose anything.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this Indy or XGS? I'm confused. People keep listing this game as Microsoft putting games out on Switch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wasn't as big of a fan of the first one as some were, but I'm still excited to check it out. Hope combat's better.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Ori I basically as "AAA" as it gets for an "Indie" game, it's not some huge revelation to say you're looking forward to it the most if you're into that genre.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I dream the day those are the graphic kings.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You can make an argument that some indie games are better however AAA games are easier to get behind.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Th8Sdj2.jpg

I am very hype for Maneater, though niche, a spiritual successor or Jaws Unleashed is amazing.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm glad that the industry is in a state that smaller scale projects can generate as much or more excitement from players as the big stuff. I know it can point to symptoms of larger games stagnating or even regressing to some, but I personally feel that it's just strong from bottom to top right now, even though I do acknowledge that there are aspects of the industry that are really out of sorts right now.