• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest was such a surprise for me. I mean i saw trailers and it looked nice. But typically i was never in these "metroidvania platformers"
Didnt play Ori and the Blind Forest at launch. Just a couple of weeks/months later because of all the praise and the price wasnt that high to jump in also.
And it became of my favorite games of this gen. Easy top 5.

So exactly 5 years later Ori and the Will of the Wisps is coming. The wait has been long. But i am totally fine with it. Let the devs do their thing and no need to rush.
So in the lists of all the amazing games we are getting from Last of Us 2 to Cyberpunk 2077. This one "little" game still gets me the most excited.

Everything sounds great so far and looks great. And still can believe how good it looks and they added boss battles also now. Oh boy.
If they made the same game like Ori and the Blind Forest and really improved some things. Its gonna be a amazing time.

NeglectedAbleAmericansaddlebred-size_restricted.gif

SnappyDentalIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif

ScornfulRegalDove-size_restricted.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Great game and I'm sure the sequel is going to be incredible. It looks amazing.

It does have more support than your average indie game though !

Anyway, 2020 is going to be a banger.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Quick, the quotes aren't enough! Make sure you say you know it isn't an indie game before twelve people come in to all point it out!

Edit: Damn it, I wasn't fast enough

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Ori will indeed be freaking amazing and a GOTY contender for me. The first one was so damn good, this one seems superior in every imaginable way.

As for other awesome upcoming indie games.
I think people are going to sleep on
1576497017_939113_1576504069_noticia_normal.jpg

Previews have been very positive, and it seems like a good mix of Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds, let's see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
It comes out for my birthday, like the first one, that i loved.
Gueninely excides to play it too.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not a big fan of Metroidvanias and haven't played many of them but Ori was something else. I loved the first game and I'm very excited to play this when it's out. Personally, it's not on the top of my list (that must be TLOU2) but I completely understand you OP.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
ss_a4643b149d6f5d721aef5ed08142aebfa96d8d2e.1920x1080.jpg

Yeah, I'm really curious about 2077 & Doom Eternal, but my most anticipated 2020 release is by far Ostranuats.

It's coming from the guy who made NEO Scavenger and set in the same universe.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Away the Survival Series is probably my most hyped game rn, even more than Animal Crossing and FF 7 Remake. I would be hyped for Ori 2 also, but I don't have an Xbox or PC.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah same here, favorite genre and Blind Forest is still my favorite MS published game so I'll be jumping in on Will of the Wisps grinning like my avatar, it's even releasing on my birthday :)

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure if I'd be able to keep my interest in gaming if it wasn't for indie. Silksong is my most anticipated game for this year so far.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Nothing weird or odd about it. Metroidvanias are a great genre, and Ori plays fantastic. I won't be shocked if a lot of the big triple A releases have mediocre gameplay that will be apologized for.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Hey games are games. Doesn't matter how many people are working on it or how much went into the budget if you really enjoy it. That's what matters.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
That's cool. Not a fan of metroidvanias. I'm looking forward to the AAA games

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's been me for the last several years. I've been hyped for this cute puzzle game.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, I'm in particular looking forward to Bleeding Edge. I don't think many on this forum will care but I'm definitely seeing myself playing this game for quite some time. Not the "next big AAA game" but a smaller-scaled MP game which so far was able to impress me :)

5Fl3ZA8.gif

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I knew nothing about the first until it came out for Switch and it became one of my favorite games of the generation. I only found out a few weeks ago that there was a sequel in development and that it's so close to being released. I don't have a gaming PC or an Xbox, though, and I'm not buying one this late in the gen, so I'll have to wait until fall at the earliest to play it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Should be a fun few months ahead. :)

2020-01-29 : Warcraft 3: Reforged
2020-02-11 : Ori and the Will of the Wisps
2020-03-20 : DOOM: Eternal
2020-04-16 : Cyberpunk 2077
2020-04-20 : Gears: Tactics

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I'm most excited about Bannerlord, after almost a decade of waiting. That is the game I'll be playing over any other game that comes out around it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
More interested in Silksong, but Ori sure is nice to look at. Probably one of the nicest looking games this gen.

Nothing weird or odd about it. Metroidvanias are a great genre, and Ori plays fantastic. I won't be shocked if a lot of the big triple A releases have mediocre gameplay that will be apologized for.

AAA, AAA never changes.

2020-04-20 : Gears: Tactics

Not super huge on the Gears games, but I am mildly interested in this.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Not disagreeing with your choice but I imagine Will of the Wisps has more budget than most indie games.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm typically more excited about indie games than AAA. Will of the Wisps itself looks stunning and I hope it's a genre Microsoft continues investing in. I'm personally more excited about Silksong and Axiom Verge 2, but I'll still be there for Ori 2 on day one.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my most anticipated game but i can see how it could be yours with how great the first one was.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Ori is one of those games that I consider at the top of its genre. Like, legitimately an all-time great.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Ori and the Will of Wisps will be my Game of the Generation.
Best looking game this generation
Best design
Second in music (sorry, I gotta give it to Killer Instinct and Mick Gordon)
Tight gameplay
Cool story
Just a great franchise.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to Disco Elysium and Sunless Skies coming to console. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Feb 10, 2018
Those gifs certainly look amazing, like a moving piece of art.
I'm not that big into 2d platformers, the only one I completed this gen was inside probably because its more then a 2d platformer.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Holy shit, I forgot how amazing this game looked but those gifs are a great reminder, goddamn so beautiful. Easily the best looking Metroidvania yet.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to Kentucky Route Zero and PS4 releases of Disco Elysium and Pathologic 2 as much as I am that dreaded fortnight in April. It's a good time to love games.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I'm also like that. These are the games I've been the most excited about the last couple of years.

2017: Sonic Mania
2018: Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
2019: The Ninja Warriors Once Again
2020: Streets of Rage 4

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Of the biggest games I'm looking forward to this year, Halo, LoU2 and Cyberpunk, it's the game I have the least amount of concerns with.