• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Now he wants to have them open because cases are down and things look a little better, but
he never really wanted to close schools a couple months ago even Teachers were demanding them closed when it was pretty bad in New York as he was going to get schools to open no matter what .

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll can join Connecticut in our "things look good so let's just do this" approach with schools. I'm still waiting for my district to tell me just what the hell the year will look like so I can begin start thinking about how I need to plan for this year.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this fucking sucks...

My girlfriend is someone who works with the more needy and difficult kids in an elementary school and this man... just all of this...

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cuomo will shut that shit down if it crosses a threshold. There's no reason not to try with cases being at or below 1%

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's clearing schools to open, but I thought school districts can do their own thing?

Also, he will shut it down if cases go up.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I know that things in Europe are getting worse again, but many countries have already had school opened again for some time and it did not seem to really cause a spike in cases. Keep in mind that keeping so many children at home for all this time is doing a huge amount of damage too.

There is a lot of fear in this thread and I'm not entirely sure it is justified.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I know that things in Europe are getting worse again, but many countries have already had school opened again for some time and it did not seem to really cause a spike in cases. Keep in mind that keeping so many children at home for all this time is doing a huge amount of damage too.

There is a lot of fear in this thread and I'm not entirely sure it is justified.

I don't know, but is there a country in Europe that is comparable to America's 50,000 to 60,000+ positive cases per day, and where contact tracing is non existent

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My child's district in WNY sent out like a 50 page re-opening plan with various models and choices, and at least 4 or 5 surveys to parents to get their input. Not sure what we settled up on, but it's probably going to be

COHORT A - Monday and Tuesday in school | Wednesday remote (cleaning day) | Thursday and Friday remote
COHORT B - Monday and Tuesday remote | Wenesday remote (cleaning day) | Thursday and Friday in school
COHORT C (special needs children) - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday in school

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty confusing why people kept championing him, he always seemed that he would keep stalling from not closing schools or shutting down non essential places, he was against it until it got out of control
iirc it was deblasio who refused to shut down schools in the city

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah, but im sure that other countries also have better rules about mask usage and the general public doesnt have their heads buried in the sand. Did you see that video of kids in a packed school not using masks, and the only person punished was the kid that snitched on them? Or that a Georgia school district now has 250 potential cases due reopening? Theres a track record of school reopenings not going well in the US, and its unfair to compare them to other countries since theyre in their own bracket of stupidity.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't going to work for anyone. Schools can even close during the flu season if a lot of kids and teachers get sick. What makes these people believe COVID is going to magically disappear? Schools are going to be closed within 2 weeks of opening imo.

Africanus II

Oct 26, 2017
As New York goes, so goes the East Coast >_>
History won't be kind to our generation lmfao. I hope a swift transition to online happens before the first cases.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
This will be a disaster. I am tired of some people and some politicians treating it like.. well imagine this scenario:

A crazed gunman is shooting into a crowd, people are getting hurt, police arrive at the scene, people are running all over the place and then suddenly the gunman stops for a moment:

INSTANTLY everyone stops running and freaking out and the cops quietly get back inn their cars like everything is okay again....

When really the gumman is just reloading and treating it like the situation was resoled is just going to lead to more deaths.

that's basically how I view the covid response.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
OMG wtf.

Is he serious? Do these people not understand if the child gets it, they'll bring it home? Then the parents will go on and spread it for 2 weeks? Jesus.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Cuomo will shut that shit down if it crosses a threshold. There's no reason not to try with cases being at or below 1%
Agreed, especially with many frontline workers asking him to reopen schools to make it easier for them to work. I get wanting to appease parents who are having a hard time finding child care, but it just seems like this is destined to fail. I hope I'm wrong. They also appear to be following the CDC guidelines.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to work for anyone. Schools can even close during the flu season if a lot of kids and teachers get sick. What makes these people believe COVID is going to magically disappear? Schools are going to be closed within 2 weeks of opening imo.

I do have a lot of questions as a parent. What happens if someone in my kid's class tests positive? So my kid has to quarantine for 2 weeks? So by extension, I do too? That's fine, now what happens if my kid clears and then we go back, and then a week later another kid tests positive. Repeat ad nauseam?

It just doesn't seem sustainable.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
NY needs money and Cuomo has admitted that parents will be reluctant to go back to work if their kids are home. So that is part of his motivation. Congress could ease the pressure by throwing the states some funding.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, but is there a country in Europe that is comparable to America's 50,000 to 60,000+ positive cases per day, and where contact tracing is non existent

No, but that is also not the case in New York which is in a similar situation as the countries that opened their schools. But the worst country that has kept schools open was probably Sweden, where children still seemed to not be a major source of spreading the virus.

Yeah, but im sure that other countries also have better rules about mask usage and the general public doesnt have their heads buried in the sand. Did you see that video of kids in a packed school not using masks, and the only person punished was the kid that snitched on them? Or that a Georgia school district now has 250 potential cases due reopening? Theres a track record of school reopenings not going well in the US, and its unfair to compare them to other countries since theyre in their own bracket of stupidity.

No, I also keep reading the same fears about mask usage but many European countries were not really using those either. Compliance was probably better though, but since this thread is about New York it is way more comparable to the situation in the European countries.

Opening the schools in New York is not the same as opening the schools in the rest of the US where things are way worse.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Agreed, especially with many frontline workers asking him to reopen schools to make it easier for them to work. I get wanting to appease parents who are having a hard time finding child care, but it just seems like this is destined to fail. I hope I'm wrong. They also appear to be following the CDC guidelines.
Yeah, the solution is to offer free child care to essential workers, not to re-open schools. This will be a disaster.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Infection rate seems down (less than 1%) but cases per 100,000 still seems high. What's the guideline here? Less than 10?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
There is a middle school age kid in our home. If they get sick that means their parent myself and anyone else living in the same house need to quarantine? My cousin (the parent) works in construction and won't be able to work at home....does that mean he is out 2 weeks pay?

This is terrible. Those going "well things are good, we should give it a try" yea no. That's how its gonna spike up again. They should keep the remote learning thing going until there is a cure.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I do have a lot of questions as a parent. What happens if someone in my kid's class tests positive? So my kid has to quarantine for 2 weeks? So by extension, I do too? That's fine, now what happens if my kid clears and then we go back, and then a week later another kid tests positive. Repeat ad nauseam?

It just doesn't seem sustainable.

Maybe they're hoping no one gets tested so we can all pretend this isn't a thing. As you said, if you've come in contact with someone who has COVID, you're suppose to get tested yourself and quarantine. All its going to take is 1 kid testing positive for this to go downhill.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a middle school age kid in our home. If they get sick that means their parent myself and anyone else living in the same house need to quarantine? My cousin (the parent) works in construction and won't be able to work at home....does that mean he is out 2 weeks pay?

This is terrible. Those going "well things are good, we should give it a try" yea no. That's how its gonna spike up again. They should keep the remote learning thing going until there is a cure.

Dude, there's no cure. There never will be. I wouldn't count on a vaccine either.

There's just going to have to be containment measures to mitigate risk.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fuck off Cuomo. NYS was doing such a good job before, don't fuck this up now.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
There hasn't been a single place where this has worked out well. I thought Israel would have taught everyone a lesson.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is not smart. We're going to be shutting down schools again in a few weeks. It's just not going to work unless they can literally cut class sizes in half.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, the solution is to offer free child care to essential workers, not to re-open schools. This will be a disaster.
Would only be an option if the stimulus passes and includes billions for states. Unfortunately it looks like that isn't too likely right now. Denying states stimulus money has really hamstrung them in what they can offer. Not just for schooling but also virus testing. It's almost as if Republicans are willfully fucking over the states.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Not agreeing with this decision, but what are working parents supposed to do with kids that are doing an entire school year via remote learning? Even if the parents are working from home, who's teaching the kids (no way elementary school kids will learn much via a Zoom call with a teacher)? If the parents have to teach the kids, will the parents have to take a break from work, possibly be on unemployment the entirety of the school year? Ultimately I think the right thing to do is post pone the school year, but who will take care of the kids during normal work hours.

I haven't seen many ideas how to handle that portion of the issue with kids going back to school. UBI at this point?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Contact tracing exists here. I feel like this forum in general forgets how big America is. Just because one part is failing miserably doesn't mean there isn't progress being made elsewhere.