• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Unless you happen to work for a particularly benevolent company, in my experiences you and the rest of the staff will still be obligated to be at work as usual. I hope you do get the whole month off paid, but I wouldn't start dreaming about that yet. I've been hurt before.

Yeah, the place I work follows the board of education and while we might be closed for a month, it's not guaranteed that we will be paid for that month.

aBathingApe

Jul 22, 2018
The length of the holiday varies by Prefecture. Here in Hyogo they get 2 weeks off. Also pretty insane how fast this escalated here. Each Prefecture decides if they will close down but I think they all will. Looks like I'll be staying at home for the next month...

I have two small kids in school in Hyogo. This is going to absolutely devastate my work this month. I can't tell if it's a fair reaction to the situation by the government or not based on how things have been going, but it's going to be a difficult month, that's for sure. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Good for Japan taking this at least somewhat seriously. Admitedly, still not serious enough. Goverments should treat it as pandemic and start preparing for worst. We have seen how fast things can get ugly (South Korea and Italy). Will be interesting to see what will happen to Olympics if Corona starts to spread in Japan at large scale.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you happen to work for a particularly benevolent company, in my experiences you and the rest of the staff will still be obligated to be at work as usual.

It's not Japan, but I taught in Korea for 4 years and this is exactly what's happening to a lot of my friends who work in hagwons over there. Many are closed right now, but staff are still being asked to come in to do absolutely nothing from the sound of it.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not Japan, but I taught in Korea for 4 years and this is exactly what's happening to a lot of my friends who work in hagwons over there. Many are closed right now, but staff are still being asked to come in to do absolutely nothing from the sound of it.

That's the protocol when typhoons hit too. I was hoping that because this is a virus that the plan would be a little different.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seems stupid to send teachers to school when the whole point of a school shut down is to stop people from getting together.
But yeah, we'll see.

Well maybe i'll get paid a full wage to sit at my desk for the whole month.
You might be told to stay at home with no pay so fingers crossed it's the former

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Now would be a good time for Nintendo, Sony and STEAM to put some game sales on, these kids are going to be locked in their houses all day for the next month

Oct 27, 2017

My school (real international school, not a hakwon) is closed until at least March 9th, and likely later than that. We also had a week off two weeks ago when the first case hit near Incheon. This week, no one is allowed in the school—the have guards posted at the front gates. However, we have initiated a distance learning program so we are using video conferencing and other tools to teach from home (or in some cases, abroad). Still, this can't go on forever and everyone is struggling, kids, parents, and teachers.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know how it'll turn out, but the current plan (the one listed in the OP) is to enforce the break until the official beginning of the new school year, so it shouldn't impact anything. They're just getting the next two weeks off in my case, which don't matter anyway as far as grades go.

WOW good for them. Awful situation, but I'm sure these kids do not care lol

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
My school (real international school, not a hakwon) is closed until at least March 9th, and likely later than that. We also had a week off two weeks ago when the first case hit near Incheon. This week, no one is allowed in the school—the have guards posted at the front gates. However, we have initiated a distance learning program so we are using video conferencing and other tools to teach from home (or in some cases, abroad). Still, this can't go on forever and everyone is struggling, kids, parents, and teachers.

Yeah, I have a couple friends who work at actual international schools (and that might be my plan too once I finish up getting actually certified to teach here in the US) who are doing the same, they're still teaching but through video conferences (and I think one is doing home visits too). With how intense the education and work systems are over there, I can absolutely imagine how chaotic it is right now.

Oct 27, 2017
WOW good for them. Awful situation, but I'm sure these kids do not care lol

Here in Korea, the kids definitely care. Being off of school doesn't just mean they get to go home and play all day. The government can mandate public schools to close, but they cannot do anything about private institutions. All the academies go on double (triple?) duty, opening all day to pick up the slack. A lot of my kids dread days off because their parents just send them to a bunch of busywork academies all day—now imagine that but on a daily basis and all day long.

Now add on to that the terrible pollution that we get this time of year and consider that, even if a kid doesn't have anything to do (which is very unlikely), they will be stuck inside for days at a time due to horrible air quality.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Ok I'm legit starting to worry now about my holiday to Osaka mid May. Hopefully it just means no waiting in line at Universal Studios! Seriously though this seems pretty drastic, I hope beyond hope the Covid19 is winding down soon, but I fear not. Also it would be absolutely rotten luck for Japan if the Olympics gets cancelled. And even more selfishly I hope this doesn't have a knock on effect on the foreign English teachers market, I'm considering seriously applying for jobs next year.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Ok I'm legit starting to worry now about my holiday to Osaka mid May. Hopefully it just means no waiting in line at Universal Studios! Seriously though this seems pretty drastic, I hope beyond hope the Covid19 is winding down soon, but I fear not. Also it would be absolutely rotten luck for Japan if the Olympics gets cancelled. And even more selfishly I hope this doesn't have a knock on effect on the foreign English teachers market, I'm considering seriously applying for jobs next year.

If these measures don't have an impact and things get worse I seriously doubt USJ and Disneyland will be open come May. Hopefully things start turning around soon because it's pretty stressful over here now

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Start planning to visit other places.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Like others mentioned its up to the BoE's to decide to close or not. I'd imagine any with confirmed cases in their cities/towns will depending how isolated it is. We got our two cases confirmed today and this message this evening. Most schools will be doing a staff meeting tomorrow afternoon and likely taking PTA suggestions on what will be happening. Also calling in teachers (even the non-essential ones) to work during disasters is some hardup Japanese bullshite. Guess I'll be catching up on that switch backlog and pokemon pokedex.

Sucks because graduations start next week. They are boring as hell here but once in a life time and all.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I wonder how much this will affect tourism... I mean, blossom season is coming up, many people have planned a trip to Japan.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Japan is a high population density country. This makes tons of sense.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That's huge, wow. Hard to imagine the Olympics not getting cancelled now in all honesty.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
probably a good precautionary measure. can't be too careful in a situation like this i suppose.

Oct 26, 2017
What will the kids be doing instead? It doesn't help much if millions of kids instead spend a month hanging out in Shibuya or other crowded places.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
People keep talking about the Olympic like it matters. If they already started a bunch off building then the damage may already be done. It's always been a money sink with no real benefit to anyone.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If these measures don't have an impact and things get worse I seriously doubt USJ and Disneyland will be open come May. Hopefully things start turning around soon because it's pretty stressful over here now
Start planning to visit other places.

Shit. Fortunately we took out a decent insurance policy for the trip a couple of weeks ago, I think it covers cancellations comprehensively enough. I just hope it somehow gets contained and doesn't become that disastrous.
People keep talking about the Olympic like it matters. If they already started a bunch off building then the damage may already be done. It's always been a money sink with no real benefit to anyone.
It's a pretty big deal and you'll have numerous businesses that will be destroyed when all their hotel bookings get cancelled and so on. That combined with the overall downturn in tourism which will only get worse as the outbreak gets worse. Yeah the Olympics as a sporting event for entertainment doesn't matter, but it's a huge economic bubble that looks bound to burst, and that will affect a lot of people.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Shit. Fortunately we took out a decent insurance policy for the trip a couple of weeks ago, I think it covers cancellations comprehensively enough. I just hope it somehow gets contained and doesn't become that disastrous.

It's a pretty big deal and you'll have numerous businesses that will be destroyed when all their hotel bookings get cancelled and so on. That combined with the overall downturn in tourism which will only get worse as the outbreak gets worse. Yeah the Olympics as a sporting event for entertainment doesn't matter, but it's a huge economic bubble that looks bound to burst, and that will a lot of people.
No, I don't mean cancel, I mean go see and do other things. There is more to Japan than theme parks.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently enrolled in a Japanese language school, so I wonder if those will be closed too until April. Maybe I'll know tomorrow...

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
No, I don't mean cancel, I mean go see and do other things. There is more to Japan than theme parks.
Ah no I got what you meant, I was just talking about cancelling the whole trip because it might go that way, we just don't know yet. And yeah we're not going for USJ, I just love the country, the countryside, everything. I'd not miss going to USJ too much, frees up a whole day to do something else like spending longer in Kyoto or going to Kobe. BUT if this spreads and becomes a real pandemic all travel might be off, most tourist sights might be shut down entirely... its an issue for sure that I'll be keeping an eye on. I'm not afraid of the virus at all in terms of my health, it won't scare me away from the country, but if it's a big issue it might make it more worthwhile to cancel, get our money back and book again next year when it's all back to normal again.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
It's a pretty big deal and you'll have numerous businesses that will be destroyed when all their hotel bookings get cancelled and so on. That combined with the overall downturn in tourism which will only get worse as the outbreak gets worse. Yeah the Olympics as a sporting event for entertainment doesn't matter, but it's a huge economic bubble that looks bound to burst, and that will affect a lot of people.
We seen time and time again that the olympics have been nothing but a drain on the city's/countries that host them which is the problem. They need to just never happen to begin with.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
The Olympics are corrupt and I can't understand why any country agrees to host them due to the massive expense that we know never sees the promised return, but to spend all that money and jump through all those hoops and then have the event cancelled/delayed/relocated would be absolutely devastating.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Important precision:

Schools are not "ordered" closed, the government is requesting schools be closed.
The final decision remains in the hands of local authorities and schools themselves.

Dec 24, 2017
Right thing to do given the Japanese gov has had the most shitty response out of any gov in the world so far. Too late anyway, that fucking cruise ship has spread it far and wide already

I mean...I guess if your President says the seriousness of the disease is fake news, you can't have a bad response to what you don't necessarily believe in.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Korea and the Philippines did this weeks ago supposedly.
My corkers with kids are freaking out right now (and one lady I know is asking her parents from another prefecture to come and stay to babysit for the whole time).

Actually, schools aren't closed yet here in the Philippines. For a while, it did close a month ago but not because of the coronavirus, but because of Taal Volcano erupting all of a sudden and causing all sorts of trouble in its environs. Schools around that area were closed for a bit but they reopened recently now that the volcano calmed down.

Interesting to note that because we had to buy masks for the Taal Volcano eruption, we were pretty stocked when the coronavirus came to the country. We still encountered a shortage of masks though that caused some panic when the coronavirus was starting to spread.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
More and more it looks like there's just no way the Olympics happen inJapan
If they cancel it altogether it'll be a tragedy. Some athletes are only in prime condition for one Olympics. This may be their last or only chance to try to get Olympic gold. Then you got people that made arrangements and paid for travel already. Oh and the expense of the getting the venue ready. Of course it was always going to be a money sink with no likely roi, but cancelation would guarantee an even greater financial loss.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Important precision:

Schools are not "ordered" closed, the government is requesting schools be closed.
The final decision remains in the hands of local authorities and schools themselves.

Yeah, but it's Japan. So a request is basically an order.
You listen to Abe or there will be a backlash. That's just the way Japanese "requests" go.