• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Shawn has always been classy and seems to love video games in general. Although, I'm not sure all of us "are better" for Nintendo's efforts. They need to take a similar stance to Sony (and Xbox) in building a robust online system and not implement features you could see from consoles decades ago.

Cos the whole of video games is about online right? duh

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Threadwhining and previous infractions
so many threads on page one about Shawn Layton. Maybe SonyEra needs a single thread

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
He praised the competitors a lot but made sure to throw in some punches here and there. "Hey we had God of War, Horizon and Bloodborne on our platform" or "Did you know Spider-Man the game had a even bigger opening week than the movie?". It's good to realize the strengths of your competitors but he made sure to remind everyone that making great games where quality is above all is far more important than anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Dear lord this comment on that article... The irony is dripping

FcAarO7.png

He forgot to mention that without the Vita, the Switch would have never existed! #NotAFanboy #HardTruths #VitaMeansLife

/s

PlayStation did cross platform play first. This time around though, as the industry leader, they have to be careful on what they can touch on and what they can't. When you're ahead, you weigh the playing field and see which way you should jump.

In contrast, PlayStation jumped into VR almost at the same time as the PC market got standardized, and it's flourishing. They're taking leaps and bounds in gaming, just in a different direction than the competition.

Xbox is making gaming accessible
Nintendo is making console-level gaming portable
PlayStation is exploring uncharted technologies

We, as the players, progress separate from one another, but together.

Greatness Awaits, Jump In.

Is this satire? I can't tell.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
PlayStation is exploring uncharted tech? Like what lol? Oculus and vive were out before PlayStations VR and are better then PlayStations. The only thing PlayStation is exploring is amazing first party games.
I think "exploring" is the wrong word, but they do do something like that. They're almost never the trailblazers, but they're something of a gaming industry's Thomas Edison. Their own discoveries aren't that numerous, but they're known for a lot of them anyway, via adopting some of the risky or experimental tech that someone else came up with, and bringing it forward with a sound business backing. They not the 'nintendo copycats' that memetic mutation had painted them as, but they still approach every innovation from a "will it pay off for us" business angle first, and that usually means they wait for someone else to take the first risk, so they can weigh it properly and take a smaller risk in adopting it themselves.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I originally read the thread title--albeit for a quick split-second--as "All of us are better than Nintendo's efforts". ha
As it doesn't say that, I don't understand the hostility here. Please be kind to each other. :(

At any rate, I definitely agree on an aspect of experimentation, cultivating new audiences, and having some of the best games in the biz. Not so much online, but that's obviously a low hanging fruit there... a rotten one, but a low hanging fruit all the same.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't expect anything to come from this speech. At least not until they realise that PS5 is something they need to do better on.

Considering we know nothing about the ps5, this is dumb. Sony should get flak for cross play but suddenly forgetting all the pro consumer stuff they did to make the ps4 as successful as it is is ridiculous.

People are out to hate because they can't get their cross play and it's hilarious. He delivered a great speech but who cares about that right.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering we know nothing about the ps5, this is dumb. Sony should get flak for cross play but suddenly forgetting all the pro consumer stuff they did to make the ps4 as successful as it is is ridiculous.

People are out to hate because they can't get their cross play and it's hilarious. He delivered a great speech but who cares about that right.
They took advantage of poor decisions and poor messaging for an advantage. After they had the comfy lead they suddenly gave no shits

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Quite a lot of people are desperate for a foe to vanquish, a common enemy to unite against.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I find this kind of posturing grating, because they've done none of the pro-consumer things they're praising the competition for. It's fine to talk about hubris from 12 years ago when PS3 launched, but they're not competitive or approaching anything like the Adaptive controller. Heck, the cross-play messaging is just equally as bad but this isn't going to make anyone forget that Layden can pile on the platitudes but it's action what matters.and right now their actions are less than consumer friendly.

I don't expect anything to come from this speech. At least not until they realise that PS5 is something they need to do better on.

This is not what I thought about when I've read what Shawn said. what he/they learned are not necessarily visible and obvious things for general people. but look at things like building a new brand, maintaining the interest of a loyal fanbase, revitalizing old ips and bring back lapsed gamers, creative ways of communication and marketing like Nintendo Direct and, ways to reach wider consumer base...
Nintendo established a lot of practices in this industry.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
His keynote surprised me in a positive way. He got a lot of compliments from Geoff and Phil.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
They took advantage of poor decisions and poor messaging for an advantage. After they had the comfy lead they suddenly gave no shits

Your tone really explains a lot. I feel like you're looking for someone to be a bad guy out of the big 3. And above all, it feels like you have your mind set on what the ps5 is going to not have.

At the end of the day, it's better that issues like cross play are being talked about by Sony, because it shows the know what the people want. If you assume they were smart enough to take advantage of poor decisions and poor messaging by their competition, might they not be smart enough to take advantage of this situation with the ps5?

Basically what I am saying is that you really shouldn't worry so dam much about a speech when you know nothing about what the ps5 will and will not have. The guy is praising the competition and gaming as a whole but you will only look at the negatives.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
PlayStation is exploring uncharted tech? Like what lol? Oculus and vive were out before PlayStations VR and are better then PlayStations. The only thing PlayStation is exploring is amazing first party games.

You should do a proper research and then use lol in adtion to false information.

PS
On mobile and cant link now, but you can try googling this 3 words - sony, dvd and vr. ;)

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Yeah, still not taking him seriously after the crossplay thing.
Seems more like a PR stunt, acknowledge yo enemies, than sincere praise.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Vita 2 I'm ready

In all honestly, if Sony can sort the BC with the PS5 then there is no reason a portable system that can stream from the PS5 would be off the table. More so if it can run PS1-4 games tied to your PSN account nativity

Probably not going to happen, but I can dream

Nov 2, 2017
I think "exploring" is the wrong word, but they do do something like that. They're almost never the trailblazers, but they're something of a gaming industry's Thomas Edison. Their own discoveries aren't that numerous, but they're known for a lot of them anyway, via adopting some of the risky or experimental tech that someone else came up with, and bringing it forward with a sound business backing. They not the 'nintendo copycats' that memetic mutation had painted them as, but they still approach every innovation from a "will it pay off for us" business angle first, and that usually means they wait for someone else to take the first risk, so they can weigh it properly and take a smaller risk in adopting it themselves.

So, it would be fair to say that Nintendo would be Nikola Tesla (a very financially successful version), and Sony would be Edison.
;)

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even if one doesn't dig Nintendo hardware it's crazy for one to want them to exit the hardware business.

Oct 31, 2017
I find this kind of posturing grating, because they've done none of the pro-consumer things they're praising the competition for. It's fine to talk about hubris from 12 years ago when PS3 launched, but they're not competitive or approaching anything like the Adaptive controller. Heck, the cross-play messaging is just equally as bad but this isn't going to make anyone forget that Layden can pile on the platitudes but it's action what matters.and right now their actions are less than consumer friendly.

I was doing crossplay early this gen with Rocket League on the PS4, and then Street Fighter V, before crossplay expanded to include consoles. SharePlay is an extremely consumer-friendly function and one of the best things introduced this generation (digital couch coop with a friend, your friend taking over to help you with a hard part of the game, demoing a game your friend owns). Things like ease of streaming, which PS4 rolled in and did very well, were Sony's doing and helped people create streaming content and edit videos.

The most consumer-friendly thing they've done is an impeccable first party line-up for me to actually purchase.

There are things they do which are anti-consumer, but er, Nintendo joining the "pay for online" market with MS and Sony isn't exactly "consumer friendly" either. Nor is keeping their games at a high price years down the line.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
People would do well to heed this advice. Don't count out the company that has been in business since the Year of Our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Eighty Nine...

Was this speech recorded? It sounds pretty cool.

Yep, its on Youtube (search under DICE 2019). Its really really interesting to ear.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PS2/PC, followed by PS2/PC/360.
I was thinking PS2 specifically, since that's when cross-play started for Sony hardware. That said, I will never not be amazed at the fact that FFXI was cross-play on everything it released on, including the 360, though by all accounts, MS was willing to bend over backwards for Squenix at that time just so the 360 could get a Final Fantasy game before the PS3 could.
As usual, people like to credit Sony with something Sega did first. ;)

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

It's possible for him to acknowledge competitors' contributions to the market, even if Sony hasn't been able to match them yet. Some of these changes simply cannot be implemented overnight. Give them some time. You might see improvements in accessibility and cross-platform play after they've had time to evaluate and roll out their own solutions.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I wish Sony would copy the idea, but go super high end with it and throw ALL their 1st parties behind it. Essentially make it a PS5. Go GPU heavy and make the dock a eGPU. While portable it would be similar in power to a Surface Pro. It can run everything, just not high res. Docked it could do 4K/VR very well.

I know they wont do it due to cost, but Switch has shown me that portable convenience is very powerful. My problem with Switch is it's a little too under-powered so it misses all the big box-console games. But a hybrid that gets all Sony first party, all AAA 3rd party, and does reasonable 4K and VR....this would be perfection for me. PC basically has this but it's expensive and only really in laptop format for now.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What I would give for Sega to take out a huge loan and try consoles again, they really were ahead of the curve.
Current-day Sega wouldn't be able to support a new console. Sure, Sega's got a lot of great IPs, but the company absolutely doesn't understand what to do with them. That said, I agree that Sega was well ahead of the curve, especially with Dreamcast.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Do you mean that he (Shawn Layden) cant praise other people for doing things, like Microsoft for the adaptive controller, unless Sony make one of their own? Or that he cant praise Nintendo for their smart choices in the handheld market without making PS Vita 2 themself? Or what do you mean?

Otherwise Sony does support cross play, and i would bet money that it will just improve as time goes by. They support it with Fortnite, so its just a matter of time, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Queen BotW being praised in a keynote by a PlayStation executive nearly 2 years after its release? IMPACT.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
It's not like any company is pro consumer 24/7. Like, Nintendo still is selling 3DSXLs without charger cables.
You should do a proper research and then use lol in adtion to false information.

PS
On mobile and cant link now, but you can try googling this 3 words - sony, dvd and vr. ;)
Yea maybe you should research. Sony didnt explore unknown territory with VR. Like I said Oculus' and vive were out first. The PS4 is a weak PC so it's not that difficult to make it work on there. But they for sure didn't explore it first or even best for that matter. They benefit by being the only VR not on a PC. That's it. And did you just quote DVD. I'm talking about this gen and what they've done this gen, which is release amazing first party titles.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Yea maybe you should research. Sony didnt explore unknown territory with VR. Like I said Oculus' and vive were out first. The PS4 is a weak PC so it's not that difficult to make it work on there. But they for sure didn't explore it first or even best for that matter. They benefit by being the only VR not on a PC. That's it. And did you just quote DVD. I'm talking about this gen and what they've done this gen, which is release amazing first party titles.

Like I said, you should do a research before posting false information. Sony have been tempering with VR since 1997 with the glasstron. Below you kind find a link for wiki.

"Sony, another pioneer, released the Glasstron in 1997, which has an optional positional sensor, allowing the wearer to view the surroundings, with the perspective moving as his head moves, giving a deep sense of immersion. These VR headsets gave MechWarrior 2 players a new visual perspective of seeing the battlefield from inside the cockpit of their craft. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_headset
1_fb99a8a6f0a129ab42283b28ae0be070.jpg

They explored it first and enough so that can make it as cheap as possible and available to a larger audience. And judging from stats and charts posted on this forum it seems that their exploring paid off, no matter what you try to imply, state or push.

PS
If you like, you can do actual research and see how many resources and money Sony does indeed invest in R&D, but I'll make it easier for you once again. ;)

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/newbusiness/

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this thread...lmao.

Yeah, I like what he said about the competition. It's always good to give props where it's due.

And I agree with the posts about cross play and VR. Sony had been at the fore front of some things for some years, it just wasn't cool before this gen, lol.

The big 3 all bring something unique, good to the table.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Like I said, you should do a research before posting false information. Sony have been tempering with VR since 1997 with the glasstron. Below you kind find a link for wiki.

"Sony, another pioneer, released the Glasstron in 1997, which has an optional positional sensor, allowing the wearer to view the surroundings, with the perspective moving as his head moves, giving a deep sense of immersion. These VR headsets gave MechWarrior 2 players a new visual perspective of seeing the battlefield from inside the cockpit of their craft. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_headset
1_fb99a8a6f0a129ab42283b28ae0be070.jpg

They explored it first and enough so that can make it as cheap as possible and available to a larger audience. And judging from stats and charts posted on this forum it seems that their exploring paid off, no matter what you try to imply, state or push.

PS
If you like, you can do actual research and see how many resources and money Sony does indeed invest in R&D, but I'll make it easier for you once again. ;)

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/newbusiness/
Thanks for pulling up 1997....again was talking about this gen specifically. I really don't know what's hard about that. Making a VR headset that's cheaper doesn't equal unchartered technologies. Again Oculus' and vive came out with headsets that garnered attention and really brought VR forward this gen. Im really thinking of just ignoring the next response if you type dvd or 1997 again...

Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for pulling up 1997....again was talking about this gen specifically. I really don't know what's hard about that. Making a VR headset that's cheaper doesn't equal unchartered technologies. Again Oculus' and vive came out with headsets that garnered attention and really brought VR forward this gen. Im really thinking of just ignoring the next response if you type dvd or 1997 again...

This is a bit weird, why would you have an arbitrary cut off?

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

Just to clarify, playstation is part of Sony weather you like it or not, how hence why I keep bringing. And when it comes to gathering attention in this vr gen, i think psvr achieved more than both oculus and rift. As for the uncharted techology, here is one for you - making affordable vr headset that works and investing in software for it without knowing how it will be received or even if it will make profit. Remember when Somy purchased gaikai?

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit weird, why would you have an arbitrary cut off?
In this thread I learned what companies did before this gen don't count.

Learn something new every day.

Just to clarify, playstation is part of Sony weather you like it or not, how hence why I keep bringing. And when it comes to gathering attention in this vr gen, i think psvr achieved more than both oculus and rift. As for the uncharted techology, here is one for you - making affordable vr headset that works and investing in software for it without knowing how it will be received or even if it will make profit. Remember when Somy purchased gaikai?
Now you know some ppl like to dismiss Sony and streaming. Good luck, lol.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony would have been messing with VR much, much later than '97 because it would have been necessary to get dev kits in the hands of creators a number of years before PlayStation VR's release date in 2016. In fact, Dr. Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov had been doing prototype work for the first iteration 3 years before its announcement at GDC 2014, so that pre-dates the Oculus Rift Kickstarter announcement by well over 12 months. The PlayStation Move in 2009 was designed with a future HMD technology in mind years before PSVR came along, and would you know it, PSVR uses the PS Move. So you were wrong about it not being uncharted territory for Sony, and wrong that '97 doesn't count - because it has always been an iterative process to get to this point.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Sony would have been messing with VR much, much later than '97 because it would have been necessary to get dev kits in the hands of creators a number of years before PlayStation VR's release date in 2016. In fact, Dr. Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov had been doing prototype work for the first iteration 3 years before its announcement at GDC 2014, so that pre-dates the Oculus Rift Kickstarter announcement by well over 12 months. The PlayStation Move in 2009 was designed with a future HMD technology in mind years before PSVR came along, and would you know it, PSVR uses the PS Move. So you were wrong about it not being uncharted territory for Sony, and wrong that '97 doesn't count - because it has always been an iterative process to get to this point.

That si quite interesting and thank you for posting.

Oct 27, 2017
*cough* Dreamcast *cough*
I think there was cross platform network play on Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 back on Atari ST and Amiga. It's not a new concept but it's more relevant than ever now with all these free to play multiplayer games. Devs have easier time maintaining a healthy online playerbase when all platforms play in the same player pool, and it benefits the players too.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
this would be a really classy talk, if those words matched sony's actions..

the closing of 1st party studios left and right, deteriorating second party relations, abandoning the "celebration" of indies, the treatment of playstation legacy (abandoning the ps2 ports on ps4, the "who would wanna play these old ugly games", the cash-grab that is the p.s. classic), that whole cross-play drama... first the message was "we don't have it because we are the best platform", then it became "we need to protect the children because other platforms cant", then recently it became the developers' fault for not contacting them.

at some point, you should stop trying to 'sound' like a classy company, and start 'acting' like it

Last edited: