• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
We have to manage until then, let's hope this summer hits hard and early.
Manage it meaning stop living? I'll go insane.

Come on people, I don't think it will take that long. Look at China, they are actually on the way out of this, we are the second country after them. It's a sacrifice that will fast the healing.

I think there are a lot of things to learn from here:
- Free universal healthcare is the most precious thing.
- If people can't pay rent and survive because they are not working for a month then there something very wrong with our capitalistic system.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Not sure, can i go to my job tomorrow or no? We can't work from home cause our office is shit (customs).

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
This will surely be extended well beyond April 3rd. There is just no way the virus could be under control in 3 weeks. This will be a long term battle.

So many small businesses and larger companies will be crippled by this. No tourism in the 3rd most popular tourist destination in Europe?

This is an incredible effort to put saving lives above everything.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The whole world needs to be united in this effort, not only to stop the virus, but also to practice for the next bigger one.

What lessons Italy, China, SK learned will be helpful for this century. Chances are we'll see another pandemic.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
It had to be done, but the socio-economic consequences are going to be cathastrophic. All the tourism industry (one of the economic driving forces of the country) and most related activities are going to suffer losses like never before in the post WW2 years. Even when our numbers will be down and under control allowing activities to restart, people will still be scared to travel here, and perhaps other countries will be blocked from visiting Italy due to the spread in their region.
Unless the UE deficit and spending restriction are suspended we are going to suffer a much heavier blow than the 2008 financial crisis. I forecast massive crisis and skyrocketing unemployment in the coming months, even when (if ever) the virus itself will no longer pose a threat

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Come on people, I don't think it will take that long. Look at China, they are actually on the way out of this, we are the second country after them. It's a sacrifice that will fast the healing.

I think there are a lot of things to learn from here:
- Free universal healthcare is the most precious thing.
- If people can't pay rent and survive because they are not working for a month then there something very wrong with our capitalistic system.

I'd take the news coming out of China with a huge grain of salt. China needs to convince their people that the containment effort is working. Lots of reports coming out of China that the people are accusing the govt. of "fake news".

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take the news coming out of China with a huge grain of salt. China needs to convince their people that the containment effort is working. Lots of reports coming out of China that the people are accusing the govt. of "fake news".

People have been accusing China of faking their numbers, but it's pretty clear that every government is faking their numbers (just look at the US) and their official numbers are actually in line with all the other official numbers within Europe. It's ok to doubt them, but doubting every single thing they say it's not helping anyone.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

The lockdowns in Hubei have been so effective because they are extremly severe :

- Use of private cars banned.
- All buses, trains, ferries and flights suspended.
- One person from each household is allowed to leave their home only once every three days to purchase provisions, or in the event of an emergency.
- Housing estate entrances guarded to prevent residents leaving.
- All businesses shut down apart from chemists, hotels, food stores and medical services.

What Italy is doing is incredible but not even remotely close to what China did.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lockdowns in Hubei have been so effective because they are extremly severe :

- One person from each household is allowed to leave their home only once every three days to purchase provisions, or in the event of an emergency.
- All businesses shut down apart from chemists, hotels, food stores and medical services.

What Italy is doing is incredible but not even remotely close to what China did.

seriously. using hubei as a barometer is ridiculous. good luck even having 1/4 of that kind of lockdown in the US unless shit spirals out of control. even then i don't think theyd be able to crack down as hard

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The whole world needs to be united in this effort, not only to stop the virus, but also to practice for the next bigger one.

What lessons Italy, China, SK learned will be helpful for this century. Chances are we'll see another pandemic.
The US makes it impossible to unite together and could keep this going for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

There's been footage from Hubei of authorities welding doors shut on people. Shits crazy.

Deleted member 33082

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So everyone's going to try getting out of Italy and spread it everywhere else?

edit: so you need a good reason?
Why would anyone try to get out of Italy? To go live in a hotel in some unknown city abroad and use up all their money in 2 months? Maybe 1 Italian out of 10000 would even consider doing that yes. The others will stay and see it through

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody should be doing what China did outside of a zombie apocalypse.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
18 months minimal for a vaccine? Don't bet on it.

Already, we have successful trails for treatment against this. In march. Bio tech has reached a point where humans are quickly becoming the slowest point in the chain. What has been done so far is remarkable. You will see successful treatments for this by middle of this year AND massively improved therapeutic treatment. As we speak governments around the world are pouring vast resources into research and encouraging treatment trials.

A vaccine isn't some magical silver bullet, we need treatments that work in the meantime to save lives.

But for a vaccine, less then 18 months. Likely a year.

China has little to no ethical guidelines when it comes to testing and whatnot. To regain the status it has it will enact almost any human cost deemed necessary to regain its power and standing in the world. Which has badly been damaged by its handling of the outbreak. It can and will pour it's near unlimited resources into treatments and vaccines.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Wife won't be able see her parents for a few weeks (they live in a different town, 50miles from here) and my daughter has been saying she misses grandma a lot in the past few days, even way before the lockdown made it actually impossible to meet them.
But it is what it is.
Honestly I think harsher measures would allow us to go back to living our lives normally sooner; being stuck in a limbo we can't see the end of is a far more unsettling feeling.
Hopefully other countries learned and react immediately; every day of wait and see approach and half measures is only going to make recovery harder and longer.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Me on 23 of february:

All Italy should get a lockdown to actually reduce the spread, since the virus has certainly already spread all over the country at this point. We aren't anticiping the corona behavior enough.

Now more then two weeks later the whole country is on a sort of Pikachu face... and STILL ppl are gathering to the stores right know:

As an italian I can say that I'm embarrassed of my country, they really can't gasp the simple concept of "stay at home and don't gather in crowded spaces", instead they just keep doing it and they are even proud of it (footage from yesterday):

www.la7.it

Emergenza Coronavirus, la movida non si ferma a Napoli

A Napoli l'emergenza Coronavirus non ferma la movida. Nel weekend in cui il governatore Vincenzo De Luca ordina lo stop a tutte le discoteche...

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Oh shit. The italian factory we work with is in Belluno. US customers have already been freaking out because their equipment use these italian parts coming from this region.

If they close all of Italy, I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow morning from worried customer. Oh boy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. The italian factory we work with is in Belluno. US customers have already been freaking out because their equipment use these italian parts coming from this region.

If they close all of Italy, I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow morning from worried customer. Oh boy.

I guess you say sorry, human life is more important than your parts. Deal with it.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man

I thought it was limited to just the north, but Italy is going hard at this. Kudos to them for actually giving a shit about their people. Those of us on the other side of the pond are probably going to have a rough ride since the stock market matters more than actual people.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
18 months minimal for a vaccine? Don't bet on it.

A vaccine isn't necessary to recover or protect from viruses. The corona family of viruses have been responsible for multiple outbreak and they're all without vaccines. Still, there's a very good number of cases that have completely recovered in all of outbreaks.

Practicing common sense and good hygiene go a long way. Also improving your immunity system.

And seriously, people need to stop munching on antibiotics and medicine whenever they feel mildly ill. Part of improving your immunity system is to let it fight from time to time.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Personal theory of someone who had 4 in biology at school: they should had started with this lockdown two weeks ago. Half measures didn't do anything. And other nations should do the same.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
What happens to the people on lockdown? Where do they get their food and supplies? Will the government provide rations for everyone? Are they still allowed to go to the shops near them? How does this all work?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What happens to the people on lockdown? Where do they get their food and supplies? Will the government provide rations for everyone? Are they still allowed to go to the shops near them? How does this all work?
It's not severe at all. There's no restriction for leaving your house.
New presser with the prime minister in 10-15 minutes. The lockdown could be extended to the entire country.

Edit: it's on right now, new measures include:
- lockdown extended to the entire country
- movement limited to work, necessity or emergency
- no assembling in public places in any case

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
yes we are up to 19... and funny enough they are not all in Cagliari.

despite the low number everyone is avoiding crowded closed spaces, but unfortunately this weekend the beach was really crowded.

let's hope for the best
Thank you for responding. I have family in Carbonia and Cardedu but don't see them often.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Personal theory of someone who had 4 in biology at school: they should had started with this lockdown two weeks ago. Half measures didn't do anything. And other nations should do the same.
Hopefully people will see the reports that the Italian healthcare system has had to enact triage protocols and leave at-risk patients to die and get on it ASAP. But who are we kidding they'll wait until it's too late too.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
[/QUOTE]

This is not like the lockdown in China. Only those who tested positive for the virus are not allowed to leave their homes. People are being told to stay inside as much as possible, but not forced to.

There are restrictions like supermarkets only letting a few people in at a time.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
How are banks and/or package and logistic services in Italy? Are they still functioning as normal?

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
How are banks and/or package and logistic services in Italy? Are they still functioning as normal?

Yes, same resctricitions as other public services but deliveries and such are working. Honestly? it kinda feels like Death stranding. Everyone must stay at home and couriers are keeping the "strands" together XD

Sep 17, 2018
Meanwhile on a statue of Girolamo Savonarola in Ferrara...

a4qqb14d9pl41.jpg

Damned sinners,
stubborn as mules,
if of your duties
chancellors and mayors relieve you,
do not think 'tis for the purpose
of wandering 'round as infectors;
the crowned worm
aims at your ass!

This one is kinda tricky to translate.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Meanwhile on a statue of Girolamo Savonarola in Ferrara...

a4qqb14d9pl41.jpg

Damned sinners,
stubborn as mules,
if of your duties
chancellors and mayors relieve you,
do not think 'tis for the purpose
of wandering 'round as infectors;
the crowned worm
aims at your ass!

This one is kinda tricky to translate.
Well, it's in character, at least :)

It's written in medieval italian, so its tone shouldn't be lost in translation.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Goods transportation is trying to work as normal. It's considered an essential service.

Big fucking problem: foreign drivers and companies hasn't understood shit of the lockdown, and they think we are like shut in our houses pointing rifle to the windows. Instead we are here, in our logistics offices, begging drivers via phone to go to a fucking warehouse and use gloves.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for responding. I have family in Carbonia and Cardedu but don't see them often.

you are very welcome!
it seems like Carbonia is safe, funny enough most cases are not in Cagliari but in Nuoro (which is a province up north in between the mountains).

the region president is now trying to get complete flights and sea lockdown, not allowing anyone either in or out of the island.
this should help improving things, assuming the central government allows it. We have requested this 2 times already and it got denied, but it seems like after yesterday announcement we might get it.

for whoever is not familiar with Italy's geography, Sardinia is the second biggest highland of the mediterrean sea (1m people) and is completely detached by anything, so if we do close down ports and airports we are pretty much safe from outside influence.
we are also self sufficient when it comes to electricity: we were the only part of the country that din't go in blackout in 2003

hS3HaPJ.png

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why only until April 3rd? What if things haven't gotten better by then? Surely it should just be an indefinite lockdown until things are sorted in some way?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only good news i guess is that things will get warmer as we head into spring, which will hinder virus transmission.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why only until April 3rd? What if things haven't gotten better by then? Surely it should just be an indefinite lockdown until things are sorted in some way?

When that date was first formed it was exactly one month away, now the rest of the country adapted to that as well. It's tentative, based on the situation improving, worsening or staying the same it could be moved earlier (unlikely), extended (likely), or again end at that date (possible).

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I was going on a study abroad there in the summer. Guess that's gonna be cancelled this week. :(

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's insane how bad this is getting. I was recovering from a deep depression but this has tossed me right back into it. Just sitting here, I have issues with physically shaking and constant negative thoughts spiraling into oblivion.