• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
An elephant's rectum is about 10 times longer than a cat's, yet they poop in the same amount of time. This conundrum may not have stumped you—or even occurred to you—but it vexed researchers at Georgia Tech. "How do animals defecate at a constant duration?," they quite literally asked in their paper—which by the way was published in the journal Soft Matter. "To answer this question, we begin with measurements of feces."

So let's begin.

As with every good scientific endeavor, they started by defining their variables. Defecation begins, for example, at t=0, which they say is "when the tip of feces appears." They provided four separate videos just in case you weren't sure exactly when that is. And to avoid confusion between "steady state" pooping, which is what humans do, and animals like rabbits that produce little pellets they restricted their study to cylindrical feces. Repeat: you will not learn anything about the pelleted feces of a rabbit in this article.

Based on their exhaustive measures of every possible aspect of pooping, the researchers boiled their findings down into one cohesive mathematical model of defecation. It contains seven variables and a fractional exponent, but here's the gist of it: the time it takes to poop is equal to said poop's length divided by its velocity. Bigger animals may make bigger turds, but they also exert a greater force upon those turds and have more mucus to help them slide along down the alimentary chute that is the rectum. Gravity, in case you were wondering, was discounted from the equation because most mammals have horizontal recta (yes, that's an acceptable plural of rectum).

The researchers did acknowledge that in the case of diarrhea, the human gastrointestinal tract may not even need to exert pressure and instead could allow gravity to take its course. The equation for the duration of diarrhea involves slightly different variables, since it "occurs so quickly that steady state is not reached." They estimated that a 70 kg (or about 154 lbs) human would be done in about 0.5 seconds. Accounting for constipation, on the other hand, means eliminating the effects of mucus, which they assume to have been absorbed in the event of an intestinalbackup. With zero mucus and the "stiffest feces," they approximate a six hour travel time when applying maximum rectal pressure, though they note that since intestinal walls can deform to help the poo along that actual transit time is likely to be shorter.

I pulled a few choice bits, but it's really a fascinating read.

https://www.popsci.com/everyone-poops

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I'd like to imagine this being used as a thought experiment in a gen ed physics class in the future.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on their exhaustive measures of every possible aspect of pooping, the researchers boiled their findings down into one cohesive mathematical model of defecation. It contains seven variables and a fractional exponent,
gotta do calculus to figure out poop math

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
147.jpg

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it took me 12 seconds. Sometimes the constipation is too strong.
Accounting for constipation, on the other hand, means eliminating the effects of mucus, which they assume to have been absorbed in the event of an intestinal backup. With zero mucus and the "stiffest feces," they approximate a six hour travel time when applying maximum rectal pressure, though they note that since intestinal walls can deform to help the poo along that actual transit time is likely to be shorter.
just fyi congrats on the six hour poop

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see companies use that to lower toilet time to less than a minute.
LET ME POOP IN PEACE, HEATHENS

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
real question is how long you pee
So why study the intimate details of mammalian pooping? Excellent question. This particular group already won a 2015 Ig Nobel Prize for their research determining that all mammals pee in about 21 seconds, so it's possible that they just wanted to collect the set. More generally, the reality is that gastrointestinal health is a crucial part of your well being. And knowing what's normal is crucial to knowing what's abnormal.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I envy the Georgia Tech scientist that never had a poo break off mid expulsion, after which you spend the next five minutes trying to push out the rest and ultimately using 300 sheets of toilet paper.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Too many humans, especially the ones in the western world, and in places influenced by the West, sit down to defecate, which is not the way our bodies are designed to optimally defecate.

Don't sit.

Squat.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My usual and average time is about 30-40 seconds always has been. Is that good or should I be closer to 12 seconds ?