• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
well fuck them, lazy fuckers
I think this is one case where "lazy devs" can actually apply. R* has a massive warchest and hundreds upon hundreds of employees, it's baffling that they can't dedicate a handful to work on a Pro patch for a couple weeks.

Especially for a game that continues to top sales charts month in and month out.

Edit: To be fair, though, I guess they may have all hands on deck for RDR2. Still.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
God I am loving this system. I got an intense programming job and I should be in the library but man PS4 Pro is AWESOME

Especially Horizon god damn this game and also Last of US. Naught Dog bow bow

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is one case where "lazy devs" can actually apply. R* has a massive warchest and hundreds upon hundreds of employees, it's baffling that they can't dedicate a handful to work on a Pro patch for a couple weeks.

Especially for a game that continues to top sales charts month in and month out.

Edit: To be fair, though, I guess they may have all hands on deck for RDR2. Still.

My guess is, they believe it wouldn't make a difference. I think pro patches drives sales in the case of most games, but GTA5 may be an exception since thats the one game people are going to get anyway.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa

It's more baffling that Sony can't do it for their own games on their own hardware. What incentive do third parties have to go back and Pro patch when not even Sony does it?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
God I am loving this system. I got an intense programming job and I should be in the library but man PS4 Pro is AWESOME

Especially Horizon god damn this game and also Last of US. Naught Dog bow bow

Glad you like it. Horizon Zero Dawn, ACO, GTS, and CoDWWII are all great looking games if you haven't checked them out already.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I have a problem displaying 4K content on my Sony XBR-55X850D. Everytime a game renders HDR my TV display switches to 1080P. I switch HDR off (option in Horizon) and it switches to 4K? It has to be a problem with my TV settings but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I have a problem displaying 4K content on my Sony XBR-55X850D. Everytime a game renders HDR my TV display switches to 1080P. I switch HDR off (option in Horizon) and it switches to 4K? It has to be a problem with my TV settings but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Are they connected directly? Have you tried a different hdmi cable?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On a 1080p display I'd go for the performance mode. Get those extra bells and whistles over a supersampled 4K image but that's just me.

I'll never understand this... XD We've discussed this a few times on the old forum too, but there is basically zero upsides to playing Horizon in performance mode on Pro. Performance mode runs at a lower resolution and isn't as crisp and detailed as resolution mode, it has worse texture filtering and no other visual boosts to speak of. There are no extra bells and whistles.The boost in performance you get is absolutely negligible too, because it is still locked at 30fps and the resolution mode already runs at a locked 30fps 99% of the time.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It's more baffling that Sony can't do it for their own games on their own hardware. What incentive do third parties have to go back and Pro patch when not even Sony does it?

Especially their biggest franchise uncharted collection. If ms can upgrade the masterchief collection with more games to support the one x there is no reason why naughty dog can't.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand this... XD We've discussed this a few times on the old forum too, but there is basically zero upsides to playing Horizon in performance mode on Pro. Performance mode runs at a lower resolution and isn't as crisp and detailed as resolution mode, it has worse texture filtering and no other visual boosts to speak of. There are no extra bells and whistles.The boost in performance you get is absolutely negligible too, because it is still locked at 30fps and the resolution mode already runs at a locked 30fps 99% of the time.

This.

Performance mode is for people who simply cannot handle the game dropping a smidge below that 30fps target.

Chevelleman

Dec 3, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Hmm according to the OP's list it also adds better reflections, DOF and lighting. I never used the mode since I have a 4K TV but my recommendation is to try both modes and see if you notice any stuttering on the 4K mode.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Here they are. If any additional shots are needed, feel free to ask. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a 4K TV, so all I can manage are 1080p display shots :(
Thank you very much! It appears that Future Tone doesn't have downsampling for 1080p displays...but it does have improved AA versus its 4K mode. So edges and detail are about as smooth as they would be with downsampling, but the texture filtering isn't improved.

Pro support notes for the PSVR game Raw Data should be added to the master list:
Thanks, done!

Great resource, but I have a request...if it's not too much work.

Can you change the yellow and green colors? They look 100% identical to my colorblind eyes.
Nevermind, I see it's all hotlinked images. Yeah you'll never be able to fix that. Unfortunate. :(
Never say never! I generated all these images, so can change them however needed. I'm sorry that this issue didn't occur to me previously. There's fewer games that use the yellow indicator, so I've changed that one rather than the green--making it more orange, and altering the text treatment slightly. Please let me know if this is sufficient to tell them apart (a good test is the block for the game Knack, which uses all three colors). If not, I'll revise again.

My apologies for the long stretch without updates. Few games come out during late December, and with holidays and work I haven't been able to devote much time to the thread. I've made the changes note above now, though, and added four titles. It'll probably still be a little while before I can get back to rapid additions, as I continue working on my other project. I've already missed the December timeframe I was shooting for, and there's still a lot to do.

But as always, any links, screenshots, or comparisons are very much appreciated, and will be helpful even if I don't get to them immediately. Thanks everyone!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much! It appears that Future Tone doesn't have downsampling for 1080p displays...but it does have improved AA versus its 4K mode. So edges and detail are about as smooth as they would be with downsampling, but the texture filtering isn't improved.

Thanks, done!

Never say never! I generated all these images, so can change them however needed. I'm sorry that this issue didn't occur to me previously. There's fewer games that use the yellow indicator, so I've changed that one rather than the green--making it more orange, and altering the text treatment slightly. Please let me know if this is sufficient to tell them apart (a good test is the block for the game Knack, which uses all three colors). If not, I'll revise again.

My apologies for the long stretch without updates. Few games come out during late December, and with holidays and work I haven't been able to devote much time to the thread. I've made the changes note above now, though, and added four titles. It'll probably still be a little while before I can get back to rapid additions, as I continue working on my other project. I've already missed the December timeframe I was shooting for, and there's still a lot to do.

But as always, any links, screenshots, or comparisons are very much appreciated, and will be helpful even if I don't get to them immediately. Thanks everyone!

Oh wow, that makes a big difference! Thanks! Didn't expect you to go through the trouble. Appreciate it!

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember when I added Smite to my lack-of-downsampling thread, but I just noticed in the OP here that it's listed as supporting it.

Is that confirmed and safe to remove from my thread then? :)

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Do any games come with improved textures on the pro? That's really my main pet peeve.

Killing floor 2 is the only one that 1 can think of noted by the dev. Probably just added an extra layer of high frequency texture map or just char models. Running games at higher resolution than based ps4 eats up the additional 500+mb memory added to the pro very quick. The just isn't enough headroom left for higher quality assets. Repeating like a broken record, Sony should have eat the cost and added an extra 4gigs ram at launch and components price drop will happen. The one x has 3.5gigs more vram over the pro for 4k texture and texture can be the most noticeable different between games. Look at mordor 2 for instance. Some engine are also very memory hungry like idtech which is why there is huge res difference between two platform.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Took a few pics of Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition running in 4K.
bulletstorm_fullclipeg4qoj.png

bulletstorm_fullclipew8r7b.png

bulletstorm_fullclipeq2qn8.png

bulletstorm_fullclipekgq73.png

bulletstorm_fullclipef4rp8.png

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Killing floor 2 is the only one that 1 can think of noted by the dev. Probably just added an extra layer of high frequency texture map or just char models. Running games at higher resolution than based ps4 eats up the additional 500+mb memory added to the pro very quick. The just isn't enough headroom left for higher quality assets. Repeating like a broken record, Sony should have eat the cost and added an extra 4gigs ram at launch and components price drop will happen. The one x has 3.5gigs more vram over the pro for 4k texture and texture can be the most noticeable different between games. Look at mordor 2 for instance. Some engine are also very memory hungry like idtech which is why there is huge res difference between two platform.
My big fear it's the pro will have a very short life. I don't see this hardware survive beyond the 2019. Sony probably knows it for awhile and just offered a better hardware who can't suffer the ps4 og performance until the new console. I don't see any other logic explanation.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
My big fear it's the pro will have a very short life. I don't see this hardware survive beyond the 2019.
And what do you think happens after 2019 until the PS5 arrives? The Pro will "die", but the PS4 Amateur will continue to "live"? This makes no sense.

Also Sony is well known to support the each generation a while into the next. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the PS4 will be immidiately dropped like a hot potato on PS5 day one. It will continue to be relevant for a year or two at least. And it will work the same with the Pro like it does now. And the PS5 will not be here before 2020, possibly 2021.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do any games come with improved textures on the pro? That's really my main pet peeve.

Final Fantasy XV on Pro has apart from greatly improved texture filtering also some improved texturing and shaders here and there. Two examples:

PS4 :
31032731342_98515a2622_o.png

PS4 Pro:
31176061725_44f91bd66a_o.png

(More detail to the tarmac, added wetness.]

PS4:
30468122834_93098a4b8e_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30921923470_f37caef7f6_o.png

(More detail to the metal ornament, more plasticity.)

How can with the same amount of RAM? Better AF indeed is very frequent. But not as much as I'd like.

I don't think the textures shown above are just a sign of better texture filtering and clarity due to a higher resolution.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
And what do you think happens after 2019 until the PS5 arrives? The Pro will "die", but the PS4 Amateur will continue to "live"? This makes no sense.

Also Sony is well known to support the each generation a while into the next. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the PS4 will be immidiately dropped like a hot potato on PS5 day one. It will continue to be relevant for a year or two at least. And it will work the same with the Pro like it does now. And the PS5 will not be here before 2020, possibly 2021.

I would add that I(and a lot of other people) expect the PS5 to be backwards compatible with the Pro. So pubs releasing PS4 games after the PS5 launches will take Pro support very seriously (assuming they're not adding PS5 support too).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Pro getting a Doom patch? I know one is coming to X but I already own it on PS4. Been itching to give it another playthrough.

Actually Bethesda hasn't mentioned Doom getting an XBX patch officially either. They listed all of their planned X upgrades back in Nov and Doom wasn't one of them. So, we can safely expect there not to be a Pro patch if there won't be an X patch to begin with or vice versa.

https://www.destructoid.com/here-are-all-of-bethesda-s-enhancements-for-xbox-one-x-471320.phtml

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is the Pro getting a Doom patch? I know one is coming to X but I already own it on PS4. Been itching to give it another playthrough.

I'm not sure. I think I remember someone mentioning that it's been taken off the "upcoming x patches" list. So maybe it's coming to neither.

I'm hoping for one too, been waiting for a potential Pro patch before my second playthrough.

Edit : Beaten like an imp by doom guy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not sure. I think I remember someone mentioning that it's been taken off the "upcoming x patches" list. So maybe it's coming to neither.

I'm hoping for one too, been waiting for a potential Pro patch before my second playthrough.

Edit : Beaten like an imp by doom guy.
No, it's still on the official X list which is updated daily https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

Hoping Pro will get it too as I don't really want to buy it again. Also does Sony have anything like the official X enhanced list for Pro?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
No, it's still on the official X list which is updated daily https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

Hoping Pro will get it too as I don't really want to buy it again. Also does Sony have anything like the official X enhanced list for Pro?

That's good that it's still on the list, glad I was wrong.

I don't think Sony maintain any website other than the store. There's the blog but afaik posts are just non updated articles bar error corrections.

Anyone know better?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's good that it's still on the list, glad I was wrong.

I don't think Sony maintain any website other than the store. There's the blog but afaik posts are just non updated articles bar error corrections.

Anyone know better?
The problem is that when I look at games on the store (on the console), even if they have Pro patches, they still say 1080p output in the details? Even though I know they're not. I also can't see where it says the games are patched or not - am I missing something obvious?

I'll try and post a screenshot later to show what I mean.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't put too much stock in this if I were you. For example, the Sony page for The Evil Within 2 had Pro enhanced from day 1 even though the patch came out weeks (months) later. Same for Prey.

I would rather go for info provided by the developer/publisher. Bethesda did not mention Doom in their XBX enhanced games when they started putting out those patches.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to Killing Floor 2 already mentioned, these games have better textures on Pro:

Battlefield 1
Danganronpa V3
F1 2017
Hatsune Mike Project DIVA X
LawBreakers
NHL 18
Prey
World of Tanks

Note that there's only a little extra RAM on Pro, so these improved textures usually aren't massively better, and not every texture is higher. (In fact, only a few may be.) But the above list doesn't include titles with improved AF either, which effectively makes the same textures look higher resolution. So a decent swath of games have benefits in this department.

But it's not the majority, and other effects like lighting and shadows are more likely to see tweaks. And no effect changes are as ubiquitous as resolution increase, which is the main function of Pro.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Liabe Brave , can you answer this please? :)
The change to the record is based on my analysis of some recent screenshots. However, they were not direct comparisons and distinguishing between downsampling and other forms of AA can be difficult.

Let me see if I can round up some better evidence before you definitively take it off your list. I'll do some research tonight and let you know.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The change to the record is based on my analysis of some recent screenshots. However, they were not direct comparisons and distinguishing between downsampling and other forms of AA can be difficult.

Let me see if I can round up some better evidence before you definitively take it off your list. I'll do some research tonight and let you know.

Thanks!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that when I look at games on the store (on the console), even if they have Pro patches, they still say 1080p output in the details? Even though I know they're not. I also can't see where it says the games are patched or not - am I missing something obvious?

I'll try and post a screenshot later to show what I mean.

I don't think you're missing anything obvious though Sony obviously is.

This thread remains by far the best resource on the Web to help inform your Pro purchases.