• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

All future installments of your favorite series will require pro-level skills to complete

• Time to Git Gud & practice for 10K+ hours

Votes: 249 32.8%
  • I surrender. It's the end of the series for me.

Votes: 509 67.2%

• Total voters

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Example Analogies:
Daigo Umehara : Street Fighter :: You : Your Favorite Series
Faker : League of Legends :: You : Your Favorite Series

You get the point.

You will NOT reach the end credits, or even get to the halfway point, without pro-level "1337 Level 9000 Grandmaster Yoda" skills.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Pass.

The examples you listed in the OP are insanely high bars to reach, I wouldn't consider myself bad but it's all about how much time you're willing to commit and I don't have a lot of that nowadays.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time to keep my skills up just for games. I play for entertainment and that wouldn't be entertaining anymore for me.

Now excuse me while I go back to trials rising, Baba is you and Sekiro

Oct 27, 2017
A Pokémon game that forces you to get competitive with your team and doesn't hold your hand every step of the way?

Oh, no. What am I going to do?

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Street Fighter is my favorite series. Not sure what you mean by complete tho.

You mean to beat the CPU in single player? That wouldn't affect me in no way because I don't play single player.

And no matter how difficult the series gets, there will always be somebody at my level to compete against so it really ain't an issue. Fighting game difficulty is a sliding scale.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
"I don't have time" wow people here really are a bunch of cowards, how do you people even have fun? You all gotta start putting effort into things, if I can study for college and work part time as a web developer and still have enough time to lab and grind matches in figthing games you can put effort in your sp games and have fun

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I like hard games but if your setting the bar at Daigo level skills then that's an order of magnitude much much greater than any single player game has ever been. I could probably beat Dark Souls with a bongo controller before I could ever reach the finals of a fighting game tournament.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I don't have time" wow people here really are a bunch of cowards, how do you people even have fun? You all gotta start putting effort into things, if I can study for college and work part time as a web developer and still have enough time to lab and grind matches in figthing games you can put effort in your sp games and have fun

Joke post?

People are cowards because they don't want to spend all their free time playing a single game? And your study, part time work ain't shit. Get back to me when you have a mortgage, a full time job and a family.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a meme?

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Is this a serious post? This has to be a joke otherwise I'm worried for you bud.

Oct 27, 2017
The only people voting yes here are people who think they are better at a game than they actually are.

I feel this are the two polar extremes of the replies we're going to get in this thread.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your lucky the first person you listed has an actual name because if you just put "faker" or if this Diego person also used a word for his name then the first post would have been nonsensical.

When are most "gamers" going to start using their names instead of stupid handles? Can you imagine if Barry Bonds called himself "slugger" and Tom Brady called himself "maga_chud69"?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If games like Mario had the difficulty designed for people who have mastered previous games, it would have died a long time ago

Nov 18, 2017
There is an emerging issue especially with GaaS where pro level balancing has a negative impact on the "non-pro" level experience.

I'll cite Siege and SFV as examples.

Siege is an exceptional game, but some of the decisions to balance around optimal play strategies arguably removes map diversity and removes design quirks or balancing issues that improve the experience for average players but are exploitable and unbalanced at a pro level.
SFV's entire experience was built around Pro level play, skill-gating content and wasting the average players time with a currency system built around high level play. Some will disagree, but this is my experience with the game.

Most people do not have time to invest in one game to get to "pro" level.

"Git gud" is not a design philosophy I am a fan of, because it contradicts what was widely regarded as good game design. Games should train the player to succeed, with integrated tutorial by design you barely notice. Nintendo is great at this. The alternative is frustrating for the player. I don't think the FROM games would lose anything offering a Tourist difficulty mode. I get no pleasure playing their games tbh, and find the critical and community praise perplexing. But I do not get any thrill from finally beating a difficult boss I've been stuck on for hours, so maybe my brain's reward system is wired differently.

Metroidvania's circumvent this issue by allowing the player to level up, or in the case of Hollow Knight, unlock power-up combinations to lower the skill-gating of a boss. However I've reached the endgame of HK and the difficulty has skyrocketed so I've got to accept I may never finish it.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm out. More time for comics and anime.

You do that, champ. But if I gotta "git gud" at every game series I love, I'd rather spend the time and effort on something more productive.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MoMoVKC.gif

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Sounds great. I try to get good at everything I play, and while I'm not necessarily Pro, I love high level gameplay and the strive to get better.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because your a student, that's nothing. I bet most parents read this post and laughed their tits off.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
F-Zero GX already required pro level skills to beat on harder difficulties, so nothing new here! :3

Enoch

Dec 11, 2018
Neither. I don't have much time and I certainly don't have pro skills but I don't need to complete games to have fun if the gameplay is super good.

For example I didn't complete many rogue-likes/lites despite playing them for 100+hours. For me big budget cutscenes or story gated behing hard difficulty serve as a great motivation and reward for getting better.

If an action game with big focus on story/cutscenes is to easy or boring gameplay wise I would much prefer to just watch it on youtube.

There are exceptions of course. I very much like to just chill with something easy after work but generally I want gamesto be hard (but fair and fun) with very good gameplay/game mechanics where story and cutscenes serve as a reward for overcoming challenges.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Haven't got the time.
Not to practise for ridiculous Mountain Dew skills, or to grind for hundreds of hours to access other content either. No game is good enough to justify those sorts of commitments.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
I think you exaggerate a bit OP. I dont think anyone on this forum has ever spent 10 000 hours on a single game. Im doubtfull that even Daigo has spent that much time on a single installment of Street Fighter. 10k hours on anything is a lifetime achievement.

Or maybe people actually play a game 6h every single day for 5 years straight?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Favourite series is Mega Man Zero, which I've already S-ranked every title except 4(willingly skipped).

So I guess it's the usual. No big training required most likely.