• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I think the music during the Anarchy match might have been a throwback to ECW and The Gangstas when New Jack and Mustafa Saed would just beat their opponents asses while their music played.

However, I get not being into it. I like Wild Thing so it worked for me but if you played music I didn't like over the match I would have been annoyed.
Jericho confirmed this was the case.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
You think aew will have another njpw invasion this Wednesday,who do you think it will be bullet club?

If not this week, it'll start happening soon. A bunch of the NJPW talent that have been over in the US recently are back in Japan due to the BotSJ finals card needing to be filled out this week, but there might be some names still in the US. AEW's focus now should definitely be the build towards Forbidden Door, so the next few weeks should see some fun invasion stuff.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I fucking loved the Anarchy match. The song loop was a bit annoying after the third or so rerun but the concept was great, especially given its throwback reasoning. Whole thing was a hoot.

LIST TIME

Stadium Stampede 1
Anarchy in the Arena
Stadium Stampede 2

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Aren't the good brothers contract ending with impact soon,I wonder if Tony will offer them a spot in aew im betting the young bucks are already asking him to hire them.

Nov 5, 2017
I'm the odd man out here but I actually hated most of the Anarchy in the Arena match. It was just too chaotic and spastic for me. When it finally focused at the end I loved it, but before that it was just all over the place but not in a good way. I get that's what they were going for- anarchy, but for me it just didn't work. Lots of cool stuff going on, but nothing was given any time to leave an impact or see the fall out or anything- it kept changing to something else after like 30 seconds. Also if you told me Santana and Ortiz weren't even part of the match I'd almost believe you, they showed them like 3 times total.

That being said, I don't think I've seen anyone else but my friend who I was watching it with echo these sentiments. Also I did love the story being told at the end and am very much looking forward to the fall out of all of it going forward. But the majority of the match just wasn't for me.
You're not alone. I felt the same way. Should've split the screen into four boxes so we could see all the action at all times. When you actually want PiP, they don't do it, haha.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Good Brothers and Killer Kross, because the roster is really hurting for more male talent

As much as I nothing the Good Brothers, the tag division is kind of in a bad place right now. With Swerve/Lee just losing a title match the only new team around is BCC and they're not leaving the Jericho cruise any time soon. Everybody's faced everybody, there are some huge injuries with Bowens and Darius out for an extended time, and the champions already feel stale.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017

As Hangman's first run as champ he had some great matches. He was put right up there with some of the best in the industry out the gate. But people have to remember his story and how he got to be champ. He had no confidence in himself and it took him finally beating Omega to even convince himself he's worthy and when he did he didn't wanna ever let it go.

Punk as a Veteran knew how to get under his skin and take advantage of a young hungry person who might do anything to retain just as much as himself back in the day. It's really great storytelling. And now Hangman has the tools and knowledge under his belt for the next go around as champ. He will face new people and build up his confidence and figure out exactly who and what kind of champion he wants to be. This is a growing experience for him and we are all here to see it.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm the odd man out here but I actually hated most of the Anarchy in the Arena match. It was just too chaotic and all over the place for me. When it finally focused at the end I loved it, but before that it was just all over the place but not in a good way. I get that's what they were going for- anarchy, but for me it just didn't work. Lots of cool stuff going on, but nothing was given any time to leave an impact or see the fall out or anything- it kept changing to something else after like 30 seconds. Also if you told me Santana and Ortiz weren't even part of the match I'd almost believe you, they showed them like 3 times total.

That being said, I don't think I've seen anyone else but my friend who I was watching it with echo these sentiments. Also I did love the story being told at the end and am very much looking forward to the fall out of all of it going forward. But the majority of the match just wasn't for me.
I agree, they should haved use some split screen or something. It had some fun spots, but overall it was a bit tedious to follow.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I nothing the Good Brothers, the tag division is kind of in a bad place right now. With Swerve/Lee just losing a title match the only new team around is BCC and they're not leaving the Jericho cruise any time soon. Everybody's faced everybody, there are some huge injuries with Bowens and Darius out for an extended time, and the champions already feel stale.
Rush and Andrade might be a tag team, let Private Party wrestle more than once a month on TV now that they're not under any more family offices, give more shine to Gunn Club, Keep house of black together but have Malakai focus on singles while Brody and Buddy become a tag (If Trios titles aren't coming along any time soon)

I think they can freshen their tag division up without bringing in more people
I'm the odd man out here but I actually hated most of the Anarchy in the Arena match. It was just too chaotic and all over the place for me. When it finally focused at the end I loved it, but before that it was just all over the place but not in a good way. I get that's what they were going for- anarchy, but for me it just didn't work. Lots of cool stuff going on, but nothing was given any time to leave an impact or see the fall out or anything- it kept changing to something else after like 30 seconds. Also if you told me Santana and Ortiz weren't even part of the match I'd almost believe you, they showed them like 3 times total.

Nah I agree with all of this, thought I was goin crazy when I read other people's impressions for that match

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the tag division? It's absolutely stacked right now with top tier talent. If it's a question of storylines then yeah I'll agree with that, outside of the bucks/hardys and the inevitable undisputed elite split up there's not much there. In terms of talent there's at least 10 championship ready teams right now. Hell I can't even name 10 active tag teams in WWE let alone 10 teams with comparable in ring skill to these:

Team Taz
Bucks
reDragon
House of Black
Death Triangle/Lucha Bros
Santana and Ortiz
BCC
Ropongi Vice/Best Friends
Jurassic Express and of course
FT fucking R
I left Swerve and Lee off the list because I'm not sure this is a long term thing but they're absolutely champion calibur

You could put literally any combination of teams on this list together and have an incredible match.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some more details that expand on the breakdown between MJF and TK. SRS also replied saying it lined up with what he has heard.

Basically MJF worked himself into a shoot as many suspected.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the tag division? It's absolutely stacked right now with top tier talent. If it's a question of storylines then yeah I'll agree with that, outside of the bucks/hardys and the inevitable undisputed elite split up there's not much there. In terms of talent there's at least 10 championship ready teams right now. Hell I can't even name 10 active tag teams in WWE let alone 10 teams with comparable in ring skill to these:

Team Taz
Bucks
reDragon
House of Black
Santana and Ortiz
BCC
FT fucking R
I left Swerve and Lee off the list because I'm not sure this is a long term thing but they're absolutely champion calibur

You could put literally any combination of teams on this list together and have an incredible match.

Definitely not lacking for talent, just lacking in new matchups and any real direction. Four of those teams have been champions. FTR at least turned face so it's something different from their last run, but even then the current champions are too so what do you do aside from continue the "Christian's really going to turn on Jungle Boy one of these days" story. That's the most interesting thing going on in the division and Christian isn't even on a team.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Considering MJF lives the gimmick 24/7, maybe it is a good thing for him to take some time off and be... not MJF for a while.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Some more details that expand on the breakdown between MJF and TK. SRS also replied saying it lined up with what he has heard.

On one hand, MJF definitely deserves main event money, IMO.

On the other hand, somebody really should have been around to cool him off. It sounds like it would have worked into his favor if he'd have chilled out.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
On one hand, MJF definitely deserves main event money, IMO.

On the other hand, somebody really should have been around to cool him off. It sounds like it would have worked into his favor if he'd have chilled out.
Yeah he definitely deserves more.

The issue is that why would MJF expect that TK would decide to upgrade his contract to a main event level when he still had 2 years left?

Considering TK has reportedly said to multiple people that he is willing to pay MJF top level money, the fact this is still ongoing is seemingly because MJF worked himself to the point of being furious and bitter and now is lashing out at any actual discussions and so is hurting his chances.

Someone close to him definitely needed to pull him aside and say "you do deserve more, but chill the fuck out and either wait until your contract is up or ask Tony yourself instead of waiting".

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Seems MJF showed he is a very young, inexperienced but incredible talent on that. Yes, on smaller sections when you show your talent the boss will give you an unprompted new and better contract (and MJF got it after he showed how great he is in AEW too!), but you cannot really expect your boss to continue offering you new and better contract unprompted.
Hopefully he can take some time off and cool down, and TK can improve some of the structure in AEW that causes some of this issues, by having better internal pressure valve mechanisms that allow better comunication.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah he definitely deserves more.

The issue is that why would MJF expect that TK would decide to upgrade his contract to a main event level when he still had 2 years left?

Considering TK has reportedly said to multiple people that he is willing to pay MJF top level money, the fact this is still ongoing is seemingly because MJF worked himself to the point of being furious and bitter and now is lashing out at any actual discussions and so is hurting his chances.

Someone close to him definitely needed to pull him aside and say "you do deserve more, but chill the fuck out and either wait until your contract is up or ask Tony yourself instead of waiting".

The report also says that this has been going on for months, so it's weird to think that TK and MJF have not talked about this in all of this time. Something smells funny in these last few reports.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that's been in a similar pay situation to MJF and done a similar internalizing of a problem - shit ain't healthy. If I had just sat down with my boss and talked to him about it 3 months prior to when things had come to a head for me as I stewed in bitterness - I would have gotten a substantial raise a lot sooner. But I totally empathize with him because as a person with pretty horrific anxiety when it comes to confrontation and talking about "issues" - It's hard to just blurt it out sometimes.

The report also says that this has been going on for months, so it's weird to think that TK and MJF have not talked about this in all of this time. Something smells funny in these last few reports.

But yeah, also this. It's hard to believe that no one reached out to him from TK's camp or hell even TK himself to hash this out. We knew about this months ago - we're supposed to believe they just let it stew?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well the report and other reports basically paint the timeline of:

MJF does the unauthorized interview, gets told off about it but not a major issue.

MJF gets pissed off about it which leads into him being bitter about his salary and newer signees making more.

Becomes withdrawn and stops putting in effort backstage and actively starts playing up his issues on camera.

Further conversations between MJF and TK break down because MJF is so angry and resentful for TK not making an effort to do an early contract renewal that he isn't trying to meet him halfway which means nothing can progress and things just get worse.

So it seems that MJF not being able to calm himself down and try to compromise or make the effort to meet in the middle has resulted in a massive roadblock which has spiralled ever since and just added to his frustration.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Well the report and other reports basically paint the timeline of:

MJF does the unauthorized interview, gets told off about it but not a major issue.

MJF gets pissed off about it which leads into him being bitter about his salary and newer signees making more.

Becomes withdrawn and stops putting in effort backstage and actively starts playing up his issues on camera.

Further conversations between MJF and TK break down because MJF is so angry and resentful for TK not making an effort to do an early contract renewal that he isn't trying to meet him halfway which means nothing can progress and things just get worse.

So it seems that MJF not being able to calm himself down and try to compromise or make the effort to meet in the middle has resulted in a massive roadblock which has spiralled ever since and just added to his frustration.

Yeah, so either TK doesn't want to do said effort, which rightfully frustrates Max; or MJF is a spoiled kid about it. One of them fits into an on-screen personality. The other would be an assholish move, and while I don't think TK is a master of handling talent relations, it would be pretty weird for this to be the case.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, so either TK doesn't want to do said effort, which rightfully frustrates Max; or MJF is a spoiled kid about it. One of them fits into an on-screen personality. The other would be an assholish move, and while I don't think TK is a master of handling talent relations, it would be pretty weird for this to be the case.
Well from what that report says, it seems that it would be MJF that lashed out and couldn't move past his feelings to try and work out a solution.

SRS reported that TK did try to make overtures of a contract renewal for MJF not long ago and MJFs side basically brushed it off.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I can't say what's really going on, but all of this reads like a young guy who tries to handle his shit internally. It reads like he doesn't afford himself an outlet like a friend or veteran performer to turn to for help. If MJF is going out there and cutting promos about leaving and he's the only one who seems to understand that it's coming from a place of genuine frustration that's a problem.

I can absolutely see a situation where MJF keeps cutting these promos, he's legitimately upset, and then all he hears from Tony in the press is how great these promos are. I get why that would be frustrating. But Tony's not a mind reader. If he's pissed he needs to tell Tony he's pissed. But it sounds like he's just bottling it up and expecting it to get handled.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017

Team Taz
Bucks
reDragon
House of Black
Santana and Ortiz
BCC
FT fucking R

Proud and Powerful should be tag champs.

What a mark.

BONUS:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Eddie Kingston beats Punk for the world title

Proud & Powerful beat FTR for the tag titles

Book it for Arthur Ashe, TK.