• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I was fully on board with many who felt AEW had to keep MJF at all costs, but if this isn't some kind of dumbass work and he no-shows tomorrow, he can go away. He's not worth two more years of this garbage

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
But like...you realize that's how Hangman and Omega's tag team started right?
There was a story reason for them to be together going back to the start of AEW. Swerve and Keith Lee are just two singles babyface guys. Hangman and Omega being two singles guys in the tag division was the whole point and was constantly brought up (I rewatched revolution 2020 last night). Swerve and Keith lee have not been treated like that. They're just two guys tagging right now.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's so silly to me that we've had a steady stream of info about Kenny Omega since he went home last November, but since we haven't seen him on TV in so long some of you are like "guess he's just done with AEW and it's Tony's fault". Dude is literally backstage producing the women's division matches.

Also, as someone who grew up a WCW kid I'm dying at these takes that are like "If only Tony let the wrestlers have creative control of their booking!"

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's so silly to me that we've had a steady stream of info about Kenny Omega since he went home last November, but since we haven't seen him on TV in so long some of you are like "guess he's just done with AEW and it's Tony's fault". Dude is literally backstage producing the women's division matches.

Also, as someone who grew up a WCW kid I'm dying at these takes that are like "If only Tony let the wrestlers have creative control of their booking!"
66VbLp6.gif

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
There was a story reason for them to be together going back to the start of AEW. Swerve and Keith Lee are just two singles babyface guys. Hangman and Omega being two singles guys in the tag division was the whole point and was constantly brought up (I rewatched revolution 2020 last night). Swerve and Keith lee have not been treated like that. They're just two guys tagging right now.

The original plan with omegaman was to turn hangman heel in the short term. There is no way the long term booking had them tagging for that long.

Like when they were paired they lost their first few matches and the original purpose was to make hangman quit the elite. Then the fans saw hangman as a guy they loved with the beer drinking and they pivoted.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
I was fully on board with many who felt AEW had to keep MJF at all costs, but if this isn't some kind of dumbass work and he no-shows tomorrow, he can go away. He's not worth two more years of this garbage

This is exactly where I am right now. Yes, he's immensely talented and a once-in-a-generation wrestler. But if you're pulling stuff like this, willing to screw over a major PPV match where your alleged friend and coworker is finally getting the big win just to appease your own ego... The door's right there. Let Ricky Starks or Ethan Page take the spot of resident slimy shitheel without actually being a prick.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
First of all, it's not about the money. It's an addition to it, yes but look at the underlined. I mean right there is a contradiction...how can you be booked like the biggest star if you're losing almost ALL the time. Also, how is he elevated?? When Pinnacle beat Inner Circle, did Pinnacle continue forward? No, Inner Circle did despite them losing. During the MJF and Punk feud, who was better on the mic? MJF. Also sure he beat Punk twice in Chicago but what really ended the feud? CM Punk winning and now, he's challenging for the world title. I'm sure MJF wants to put over Wardlow but him losing again after suffering more losses before is probably not gonna sit well with the guy.
I wrote out a big thing explaining but screw that. lol. You need to rewatch those losses if you don't see how he's been elevated by each loss. 3 things made MJF: himself, his opponents and his booking. This is not a 2014 Daniel Bryan situation. He's been properly built to the main eventer he is now and after DON he would've been pushed to the world title, no doubt in my mind but they needed to figure out this Wardlow story before they put him on that road and that was always going to be the situation.

He's playing a dangerous game but potentially smart as he's using this as leverage to get a better deal because that's what this is about. It's not about booking at all. If he's upset over his booking then he truly is a mark for himself.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Wow....

Just checking.

Look man all I'm saying is we should be looking at Tony Khan's tax returns a little more closely that's all.

giphy.gif

Anyway. Out of place, wild speculation aside; what I don't get is...if this is actually MJF saying "fuck this I'm not showing up", doesn't it kind of fuck up his chances of an actual bidding war happening once his contract is up in 2024? Like, he's an incredible performer and the WWE is definitely going to be interested but I don't see much bidding happening on AEW's side if this is how their relationship looks now.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Meltzer and Alvarez saying on Observer Radio that if MJF did actually walk out on the AEW PPV something they think AEW could do in response is sticking Wardlow into the title match and putting the title on him. lol. Wild idea. Though they also pointed out that Wardlow's made either way because even if they just cut him from the PPV as a result of MJF no showing the crowd is going to be so solidly behind Wardlow going forward so he'll be fine. Which is totally true.

Oct 27, 2017
If mjf really is bailing it's messed up to do it to Wardlow like this. This should be the biggest match of his career and a star making moment. MJF can do what he wants about his own career, the direction, the money, etc. but he's messing with what was months long build to put over Wardlow if he really no shows

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I would be ok with Wardlow killing everyone involved in the TNT title picture and fixing that belt

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Please Jericho, announce that mjf is this week's sports entertainer of the week.

Unless this is an emergency of some sort. Then don't.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I would be ok with Wardlow killing everyone involved in the TNT title picture and fixing that belt

Not the worst idea in the world, honestly. That makes that match and belt feel more important immediately and Wardlow would be a great fit to win it.

Make it the hoss belt for a while, especially since Miro is probably coming back soon.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Omfg. SRS mentioned Warner media that just reminded me AEW is having a big meeting with Warner Discovery execs next week. They're going to be in LA at the Dynamite show at the forum. Of all the times for MJF to pull this shit.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
If Max walks out on this PPV and WWE are still intererested then lol. Imagine signing someone with a history of walking out after trashing Sasha & Naomi for the same thing.

Last edited:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Look man all I'm saying is we should be looking at Tony Khan's tax returns a little more closely that's all.

giphy.gif

Anyway. Out of place, wild speculation aside; what I don't get is...if this is actually MJF saying "fuck this I'm not showing up", doesn't it kind of fuck up his chances of an actual bidding war happening once his contract is up in 2024? Like, he's an incredible performer and the WWE is definitely going to be interested but I don't see much bidding happening on AEW's side if this is how their relationship looks now.

Blows all his leverage with AEW so he's stuck with WWE as his only suitor.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
I do not understand how anybody can still defend him. I don't get it. He signed a contract! He signed it, he does his job brilliantly, when the time comes he's going to get a promotion. You sign the contract, you do your job. This isn't a "you've been treated shittily" situation, it's "your consistently in the top stories the promotion runs and get so much airtime and just want more money" situation. And why should he get more from TK if this is how he's going to act? Honestly, let him go to WWE and be buried at this point. He'll take the money and be losing against Omos by next Mania.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just woke up to the news, pretty crazy stuff.

I do not understand how anybody can still defend him. I don't get it. He signed a contract! He signed it, he does his job brilliantly, when the time comes he's going to get a promotion. You sign the contract, you do your job. This isn't a "you've been treated shittily" situation, it's "your consistently in the top stories the promotion runs and get so much airtime and just want more money" situation. And why should he get more from TK if this is how he's going to act? Honestly, let him go to WWE and be buried at this point. He'll take the money and be losing against Omos by next Mania.
If this is all real, and it seemingly is, this is where I'm at.

MJF signed a contract and has been treated Extremely well in AEW. Is he worth more when his contract is up? Absolutely, but doing all of this because he is unhappy with his contract is really unprofessional considering AEW have treated him well and are providing him with everything they agreed to.

This isn't a Sasha and Naomi situation where they have dealt with bad booking and they don't feel they are being treated well, it's him apparently wanting more money.

SRS also said on the stream that he has got word that apparently Tony has made overtures about a contract extension but MJF has rebuffed them. If that's the case, what exactly is plan? Get out of his contract and leave straight away?

I don't want MJF to leave but unless there is something going on going on that justifies this, he is really looking bad in this situation and I can't side with him on this. This is especially bad because of the upcoming Warner meeting that is vital for helping AEW get a better deal which will undoubtedly help the talent get more money so he is risking their futures too.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure part of the issue is just how much AEW has changed since the company began, as well as things we simply do not have access to. I don't want to have any MJF hot takes until we get more details. There have been warning signs for a while that not everything is peachy behind the curtain (Swole, Janela/Stunt, Shida, Cody), and this situation, and (maybe) the eventual shoot interview, will likely reveal more of that as well. Truth is, we don't fully know what's happening and might be speculating based on only a fraction of the picture.

AEW losing Cody AND MJF in the span of a few months would be unbelievable. What a wild time.

fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China

Contract renegotiation is pretty common in sports. TK literally owns a football club where renegotiation a year or two before the current contract ends is the norm.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Contract renegotiation is pretty common in sports. TK literally owns a football club where renegotiation a year or two before the current contract ends is the norm.

I believe he renegotiated Britt's contract in a similar fashion. It has also been reported that AEW contacted MJF to have contract talks, but he basically ignored them.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
According to SRS, in MLW, MJF went to Court Bouer told him that he was outperforming his deal and wanted a raise and Court agreed. Which is something that is apparently not actually very common in any contractual world.

MJF did the same thing to Tony Khan and Tony Khan would only do it if he added more time to his deal. Which is the common thing when these things are brought up.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I thought all wrestlers now believed that wrestlers should be independent contractors, who should be allowed to come and go as they please, and that any kind of contract that stopped that was the most evil and terrible thing to ever exist?

Jan 31, 2018
Oh man, this thread right now reminds of the Wrestling thread back in the old place around 2014/5. What are you guys on with these takes? LMAAAOO

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling; History of Trolling; Permanently Threadbanned from AEW Threads

Hey, I'm just here to see if wrestling fans are actually consistent in their beliefs that professional wrestlers should have freedom, whether or nor fans agree with their choices or not.

Because I am consistent - just like Sasha & Naomi should've realized they were being booked by Vince McMahon and been OK w/ that when they signed their last contract, MJF should've been OK being booked by a wrestling geek who would want to play with his new toys that he's wanted since he saw his first ROH tape.

But, if you were all worker rights, but suddenly agree w/ the billionaire, when you and the billionaire both want booking plans to go through, regardless of what talent wants...

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

It's a slippery slope. Just look at Manchester United the last decade. Re-upping managers before sacking them. Giving young players big money deals only for them to have a poor season. Extending the contracts of perenially injured players to "retain their value" only to have trouble offloading them.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm just here to see if wrestling fans are actually consistent in their beliefs that professional wrestlers should have freedom, whether or nor fans agree with their choices or not.

Because I am consistent - just like Sasha & Naomi should've realized they were being booked by Vince McMahon and been OK w/ that when they signed their last contract, MJF should've been OK being booked by a wrestling geek who would want to play with his new toys that he's wanted since he saw his first ROH tape.

But, if you were all worker rights, but suddenly agree w/ the billionaire, when you and the billionaire both want booking plans to go through, regardless of what talent wants...

So you're not familiar of what we say in here or the back story of this story and your trolling. Got it.

Reported and ignored.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So you're not familiar of what we say in here or the back story of this story. Got it.

The booking or story doesn't matter, because MJF may not agree w/ your view of things.

Either you support MJF's right as a supposed independent contractor, whether or not you agree with him doing this specific action, or you basically only think said rules about independent contractors should be about one company, you dislike.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The booking or story doesn't matter, because MJF may not agree w/ your view of things.

Either you support MJF's right as a supposed independent contractor, whether or not you agree with him doing this specific action, or you basically only think said rules about independent contractors should be about one company, you dislike.
No one here has argued that he shouldn't have the right to leave if he wants to, the argument is whether you agree with his position on this situation (with the info we have).

This isn't some double standard from people defending AEW, it's people responding to the info we have and deciding if they agree with MJFs side or not.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
No one here has argued that he shouldn't have the right to leave if he wants to, the argument is whether you agree with his position on this situation (with the info we have).

This isn't some double standard from people defending AEW, it's people responding to the info we have and deciding if they agree with MJFs side or not.
It's just Jesse saying Jesse things, it's why so many have him on ignore

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I heard that part too and I was so confused. In reference to the first tweet.
Think the part that it's heavily implied, but SRS doesn't want to flat out say because he probably doesn't want people reporting it as news, is that MJF just wants to go to WWE at this point. Doesn't matter if Tony Khan will pay him more. He just wants out of the company for one reason or another.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Don't bother. He trolls every wrestling thread. At least he didn't do this one until now.

Just add him to your ignore list and move on.

Think the part that it's heavily implied, but SRS doesn't want to flat out say because he probably doesn't want people reporting it as news, is that MJF just wants to go to WWE at this point. Doesn't matter if Tony Khan will pay him more. He just wants out of the company for one reason or another.

Makes even less sense. Guy gets fued of the century with Punk. But wants to follow Cody to the ends of the earth. Whatever.