• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
New Adam Cole promo for Forbidden Door just went up on NJPW's YouTube:

m.youtube.com

【AEW×新日本プロレス】BOOM!アダム・コール選手からメッセージ!「プロレス界にその名を残す大会になる!」

2022年6月27日(月)に開催されるAEW×新日本プロレスの合同興行!【FORBIDDEN DOOR~禁断の扉~】のPPV販売がスタート!歴史的瞬間を見逃すな!★新日本プロレスワールドPPVで発売中★AEW×新日本プロレスpresents【FORBIDDEN DOOR~禁断の扉~】2022年6月27日(月)午前...

Don't get me wrong Vince is a control freak and from a creative viewpoint that is WWE's biggest issue, but from what I've seen they have allowed Cody to be the same guy from AEW. Saying that some of MJF's material is definitely not suited to their target audience.

These promos give me like 90's big fight PPV event vibes, its so good

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The thing that smells funny about the MJF contact stuff is that he hasn't been surprised or screwed at any point, he signed the contract knowing all the details willingly.

The idea that he is pushing TK to resign him early just seems ridiculous considering his contract is until 2024, why would MJF feel like that is reasonable?

I still think he will stay as AEW will almost certainly have a much bigger network deal by then so TK will be able to increase his deal and I'm not entirely sure this isn't all a work but I could see Cody trying to convince him the grass is greener.

Ultimately he can do what he wants but the difference between his next deal and WWEs offer isn't going to be that big comparatively and the booking and working constraints are going to be much worse so it would be a massive mistake in my mind.

On a side note, I heard on a recent Fightful show that before reworking his availability, Roman was on pace to wrestle around 100 matches this year, and that Cody has already had 16. That's a lot of wrestling.

People do things for their own reasons, but maybe working a more intense schedule wouldn't be a deterrent for MJF if he got to perform on a bigger stage, especially if money is a part of it.

The most concerning thing is MJF and TK still not smoothing things out personally. (If that's not a work.)

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Heard on a recent Fightful show that before reworking his availability, Roman was on pace to wrestle around 100 matches this year, and that Cody has already had 16. That's a lot of wrestling.

People do things for their own reasons, but maybe working a more intense schedule wouldn't be a deterrent for MJF if he got to perform on a bigger stage, especially if money is a part of it.

The most concerning thing is MJF and TK still not smoothing things out personally. (If that's not a work.)
I still think that the money issue won't be as big as some think, or at least comparatively.

The very best MJF can hope for is a Owens level deal which is reportedly around $2m and is the second rung of the salary ladder in WWE. Once AEW gets their new deal and MJFs deal is up, I could easily see TK offering either the same level or very close. Regardless of what reports say, we can see how much TK appreciates MJF considering his booking and prominence within the show.

The bigger issue that AEW can't do anything about is if MJFs dream is to go to WWE, if that's the case then what can you do?

I still think MJF would be a fool to go though, AEW has treated him perfectly, made him one of the biggest parts of their shows, protected him very well and are clearly building him up to be champ. WWE is 'the top dog' but their whole system seemingly goes against everything MJF likes and makes him great.

Of course this is wrestling and many Wrestlers are marks and no matter how much evidence there is that WWE is shit, they still want to work there so who knows what happens.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I still think that the money issue won't be as big as some think, or at least comparatively.

The very best MJF can hope for is a Owens level deal which is reportedly around $2m and is the second rung of the salary ladder in WWE. Once AEW gets their new deal and MJFs deal is up, I could easily see TK offering either the same level or very close. Regardless of what reports say, we can see how much TK appreciates MJF considering his booking and prominence within the show.

The bigger issue that AEW can't do anything about is if MJFs dream is to go to WWE, if that's the case then what can you do?

I still think MJF would be a fool to go though, AEW has treated him perfectly, made him one of the biggest parts of their shows, protected him very well and are clearly building him up to be champ. WWE is 'the top dog' but their whole system seemingly goes against everything MJF likes and makes him great.

Of course this is wrestling and many Wrestlers are marks and no matter how much evidence there is that WWE is shit, they still want to work there so who knows what happens.

Yep. In the end, if he really wants to go because he wants that stage and because it's part of his dream, he'll go. (Or if he just gets bored in AEW or doesn't feel comfortable for whatever reason.) Hope it doesn't happen, but ready for it either way.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep. In the end, if he really wants to go because he wants that stage and because it's part of his dream, he'll go. (Or if he just gets bored in AEW or doesn't feel comfortable for whatever reason.) Hope it doesn't happen, but ready for it either way.
Yeah I am bracing myself for it to potentially happen. I think ultimately AEW will be fine since they have done such a good job with getting great talent and having enough people booked well that you can just slot others in but it will still be really crap if he leaves.

I just can't imagine MJF actually being in WWE though, like he will undoubtedly just end up like the Miz and end up just another guy on the roster, regardless of his talent. They have been treating Cody well apparently but he fits in much better with the WWE style than MJF does so it's a little different for him.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
I'm really looking forward to Rampage tonight!
  • Riho vs Ruby - Super hyped, it should be a high quality match and I've no idea who will win
  • Jade's segment - likely setting up for her 31st opponent
  • A Death Triangle show match - kind of a rare thing lately
  • The TNT title match - fingers crossed, Scorp really is intent on bringing glory back to the title. Also Sammy, just stay in the back, please
  • It's on early again, so I can watch it live!

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
  • Riho vs Ruby - Super hyped, it should be a high quality match and I've no idea who will win
  • The TNT title match - fingers crossed, Scorp really is intent on bringing glory back to the title. Also Sammy, just stay in the back, please

Thanks for the reminder. Need to set my alarm so I won't forget about it while I'm doing my daily activities.

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not too concerned at the minute. 2 years is a LONG time in the wrestling business, hell for all we know in 2 years WWE may have completely shit the bed with Cody and he's become a deterrent to stars looking to make the jump. Unlikely but possible.

AEW have been pretty smart to not put all their eggs in one basket with their stars - there's no Roman in AEW that everyone else is way under. Compare who's in AEW now vs 2 years ago - HOOK, Garcia, Yuta, Top Flight weren't even a thing back then but 2 years from now? (and that's just the non-WWE signings that have come over).

Of course losing MJF would be a negative but nor would the sky start to fall. If they showed anything with how they handled Cody's departure it's that they'll just keep doing their thing and stay the course. I'd imagine if MJF does leave then they'll have way more notice than they did Cody.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Reading that
it's either hinted or confirmed that Shida is out of the tournament and will be replaced by Statlander.

Should've been in from the start for me.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Reading that
it's either hinted or confirmed that Shida is out of the tournament and will be replaced by Statlander.

Should've been in from the start for me.

Why was she not in before? What the hell? It's sucks that this is what it takes, but justice was done in one regard at least.

It just reaffirms what I've been thinking about The Owen so far. That like every AEW tournament it's so damn short and has so few wrestlers taking part.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
To everyone calling calling MJF's WWE hints a work, tell me the last time one of these theorised nth dimensional works actually happened?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
To everyone calling calling MJF's WWE hints a work, tell me the last time one of these theorised nth dimensional works actually happened?

He's using it for blatant heat on TV almost weekly and incorporating it into storylines. Whether he goes to WWE or not, whether there's any truth to it or not, both MJF and AEW are transparently using it as a work to some degree already.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017

All Grown Up GIFs | Tenor

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Sammy came out in the Kaz promo, so I doubt he's going to stay back at points in the match.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I believe nothing that guy says. Will just wait for AEW to talk about it more.
I wouldn't be shocked if the next gameplay clip is CM Punk or Jon Moxley doing their full entrances and some moves lol.

Another thing they can do is steal that awesome gimmick from Super Robot Wars. Where on PC you can direct the game to a music folder and it imports songs directly into the game that you can then use for whatever. Works on consoles too using MP3s and a USB.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
They are going to set something up for Sammy in Houston next week.

Also, the MJF stuff feels like a worked shoot to me. MJF is probably on a lowish money deal with a long-term contract that he signed when he was a nobody in the undercard of AEW. Since then he has proven himself to be a top talent and has headlined one PPV and probably should have headlined another. He is in one of the top feuds at all times since his feud with Cody. He coined the phrase 4 pillars.

He wants more money now and that isn't unreasonable. Athletes on low money contracts are always looking to be paid what they are worth before their contract is up. Same with actors. If WWE was paying someone pennies because they had them on a long term deal when they were young we would want them to get that.

That said, MJF is always in character so its also really fucking hard to know what is or is not a shoot.

I think TK is going to have a new bigger tv deal in the next 6 months and the first thing he will redo is restructure some of these deals that were signed early for low money for folks that have broken out. You can't blame TK for having people on low money deals. For every Darby, Sammy, MJF and Jungle boy out there - there are also folks that didn't make it big and you can't just go throwing money at everyone the moment they get a pop.

That said, AEW is well positioned for anyone to leave. They didn't have Mox or Kenny and they were bigger than ever. Shit, they *still* dont have one of their 2 best in-ring performers.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if the next gameplay clip is CM Punk or Jon Moxley doing their full entrances and some moves lol.

Another thing they can do is steal that awesome gimmick from Super Robot Wars. Where on PC you can direct the game to a music folder and it imports songs directly into the game that you can then use for whatever. Works on consoles too using MP3s and a USB.
Yes that would be amazing. Console people shouldn't be left out for soft mods like that. I just want Mox old theme for my create a character lol

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are going to set something up for Sammy in Houston next week.

Also, the MJF stuff feels like a worked shoot to me. MJF is probably on a lowish money deal with a long-term contract that he signed when he was a nobody in the undercard of AEW. Since then he has proven himself to be a top talent and has headlined one PPV and probably should have headlined another. He is in one of the top feuds at all times since his feud with Cody. He coined the phrase 4 pillars.

He wants more money now and that isn't unreasonable. Athletes on low money contracts are always looking to be paid what they are worth before their contract is up. Same with actors. If WWE was paying someone pennies because they had them on a long term deal when they were young we would want them to get that.

That said, MJF is always in character so its also really fucking hard to know what is or is not a shoot.

I think TK is going to have a new bigger tv deal in the next 6 months and the first thing he will redo is restructure some of these deals that were signed early for low money for folks that have broken out. You can't blame TK for having people on low money deals. For every Darby, Sammy, MJF and Jungle boy out there - there are also folks that didn't make it big and you can't just go throwing money at everyone the moment they get a pop.

That said, AEW is well positioned for anyone to leave. They didn't have Mox or Kenny and they were bigger than ever. Shit, they *still* dont have one of their 2 best in-ring performers.
We also have to remember that AEW before it started is in a much different place then it is now and more specifically will be.

At the start all they knew they had budget wise was their initial deal. That quickly got upgraded after TNT saw how good it was doing but it still wasn't anywhere near where it should be. They also had no data on ppv, gate performance, merch sales or sponsorship deals and so that additional revenue couldn't be accounted for ahead of time.

AEW could afford to get people like Punk and Bryan because they were more established and had better revenue streams coming in.

It's why I'm not entirely sure of the validity of these claims because while you could easily argue MJF is worth more, it is very unreasonable for him to be comparing his deal, which he willingly signed and agreed to, to those who came in 2 years later when AEW was in a better position financially but still limited by it.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
We also have to remember that AEW before it started is in a much different place then it is now and more specifically will be.

At the start all they knew they had budget wise was their initial deal. That quickly got upgraded after TNT saw how good it was doing but it still wasn't anywhere near where it should be. They also had no data on ppv, gate performance, merch sales or sponsorship deals and so that additional revenue couldn't be accounted for ahead of time.

AEW could afford to get people like Punk and Bryan because they were more established and had better revenue streams coming in.

It's why I'm not entirely sure of the validity of these claims because while you could easily argue MJF is worth more, it is very unreasonable for him to be comparing his deal, which he willingly signed and agreed to, to those who came in 2 years later when AEW was in a better position financially but still limited by it.

Except MJF was also an unproven indie star who had not yet proved his worth to AEW. Since then he has.

Like, TK renegotiated his deal with WB well before it was over when they saw the long-term value in AEW. MJF wanting the same makes sense.

Of all of the young stars in AEW he is the biggest. He has made almost every single program he has ever been in work. He has saved shitty programs with promo work. He has also elevated people around him. His feuds have left almost everyone in them in a better position than when they came in. Wardlow is being put over masterfully, fucking Shawn Spears is over. He is absolutely the full package.

If you were looking at any of the young talent in AEW MJF is the most complete package.

Sammy has potential but doesnt work safe and his character work already caused an unplanned double face/heel turn.
Jungle Boy has the look, is getting better on the mic and can wrestle but he still needs to be protected on the mic.

Darby is the other of the 4 pillars that feels like you write a giant check to.

Nov 5, 2017
I totally agree with this. This is like a rookie who comes up from the minor leagues and has a huge year. A team might want to lock them up immediately but nine times out of ten, they let that rookie contract run until the very end before they open the check book. That'll be the same case for MJF.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA

Same as Fire Pro Wrestling on the PS4. You can add MP3s for custom wrestlers. Although I think you can only add like 30 songs. Kenny loves Fire Pro too, so maybe a lot of the features in the game will be present in the AEW game.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Except MJF was also an unproven indie star who had not yet proved his worth to AEW. Since then he has.

Like, TK renegotiated his deal with WB well before it was over when they saw the long-term value in AEW. MJF wanting the same makes sense.

Of all of the young stars in AEW he is the biggest. He has made almost every single program he has ever been in work. He has saved shitty programs with promo work.

If you were looking at any of the young talent in AEW MJF is the most complete package.

Sammy has potential but doesnt work safe and his character work already caused an unplanned double face/heel turn.
Jungle Boy has the look, is getting better on the mic and can wrestle but he still needs to be protected on the mic.

Darby is the other of the 4 pillars that feels like you write a giant check to.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that he is worth the money and does deserve a big upgrade once his deal is done but at the same time, AEW isn't really in the habit of messing with contracts of talent during its duration.

It's also pretty different when comparing a single talent to the contract that allows the entire company to exist and pay it's talent.

MJF is entitled to feel he deserves more, he does, but expecting his deal to be cut up and improved dramatically over 2 years out from it being up is pretty massive and quite unrealistic I feel. There is no way TK would want to start doing this because it sets a very bad example because once you upgrade one talents contract, what's to stop lots of others to start doing the same?

It's especially dangerous because AEW have expanded a tonne since their deal was agreed and they ultimately have a budget to manage. We know that they weren't making a profit, largely due to the investment into gaming (which is apparently going over budget) and so spending more without getting additional benefit (like new talent) is just bad business.

It's estimated that AEW could get upto a x3.5 increase with their TV deal ($45m to $135m) which would allow upgrades to talent salaries easily so I expect MJF will get his increase but expecting anything more right now is unreasonable and simply unfeasible.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
in retrospect kinda surprised they didn't have Long Island chant for MJF for the game, would be funny as hell if they took arena into account for crowd reactions and somewhat simple to do.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
If JAS needs a sixth to compete with Eddie/PnP/BCC, make it Sammy. I know, I know. It's more IC stuff, but here's my pitch:

Regal punches Sammy in the face.

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
Tony Khan knows full well some of the mistakes WCW made that led to it closing up shop and one of those was throwing stupid money at talents and open ended contracts (pay wise). He seems to be of the mind that when you sign a deal with him he'll honor his part completely and expects the same of you (shown by him not just cutting people but keeping them to the end of their deal even if they're not really being used).

With MJF I totally see why he would want more money given his position in the company and he knows how good he is. Now you could say if he knows how good he is then he should have made sure his initial deal was either for a shorter period or higher pay. Like I've said before though, 2 years is a long time in the wrestling business and the landscape in all likelihood will look very different in 2 years time to what it is now. Plus this could all be a work as some suspect - the timing of the news story straight after his comment during the Wardlow segment on Dynamite could certainly give credence to that. Either way we're going to see this story or something like it every couple of months till 2024 (or when/if he signs a new deal or extension - and if TK has an extension option in there maybe even 2025).

I get MJF having an itch to at least try WWE but I don't think he'd be a good fit there - too many restrictions and having to run your promos past several people only to get it rewritten anyway. He needs to ask the same question FTR did - do WWE want him because they want him, or do they just not want AEW to have him? Also the WWE he grew up loving that gave him that itch doesn't exist anymore, it's an entirely different product, hell AEW is closer to old school WWF than WWE is these days.

Anyway - lets all enjoy another early Rampage. Outside of the matches I'm curious what insight they give to plans for next week, what's the follow up to Nese/Hook/Danhausen for example given there's 2 weeks of shows between now and the PPV.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
He's using it for blatant heat on TV almost weekly and incorporating it into storylines. Whether he goes to WWE or not, whether there's any truth to it or not, both MJF and AEW are transparently using it as a work to some degree already.
Oh definitely, I just doubt that it's all a work and that those teases have any bearing on where he he'll end up in the end
*ehem*

The forbidden door.
got me there

I will note I was on the Cody train at one point so I've been wrong before