• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me why she does? All the women you could give TV time to and you want to waste that on Julia? Why? Maybe she has the potential to become good but that's going to be years from now if at all. Give TV time to good women wrestlers. They have plenty they aren't utilizing enough.

Hmm, alright well, while AEW still has a lot of work to do with the presentation of their women I'm seeing a lot of talented female wrestlers being featured recently and this week. Julia has a lot to offer beyond just her technical wrestling, which she showed tonight in particular. If you say she has potential, then give her the opportunity to grow. If anything you should be complaining about a clown named Pillman Jr. getting that much mic time and an attempted rub from the local NFL coach.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
a couple of days from now when TK gets worked for no reason on twitter about valid concerns about the women's division:

"We've always held the women in AEW as a fundamental pillar of our shows; we had a fantastic match w/ Deonna Purrazzo vs Mercedes Martinez for the ROH Women's World Championship!
Don't forget to catch next week's Wednesday Night #AEWDynamite on TBS @ 8pm ET/7pm CT!"

Hope Mercedes gets a good run now. Still unsure how ROH bookings are going to be in the future.

NGL, kinda felt meh about this Dynamite, last week's was crazy in comparison. But hey, can't all be bangers and there were still good times. Here's hoping Rampage looks as good as it does on paper.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's really weird that the NWA is like the only company AEW worked with where their talent was actually allowed to get wins and weren't just brought in to lose.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
1eSK.gif

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I knew Mercedes was gonna win cuz Deonna still signed to Impact. However still shocked Deonna submitted.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's not too tin-foiley to wonder if the show was booked extra lopsided because it was likely the NBA game on TNT was ending around the same time as the end of this show.

Otherwise it's awful curious that the clear highlight of the show was booked in the traditional women's match spot on the card and then we had all of the women's division stuff.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Ah well. I liked the match because I like watching both of those some work but to the larger AEW audience no one is gonna care when there's no real build. It's just a shame because I get why he's trying to build a match for that particular belt as main event worthy, and get some more eyes on women's matches.

That division really needs work. :(

(Although, it's technically ROH women's division, but you know what I mean.)

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
A little less show stacking, a little more match building. I think AEW should focus on including more video packages

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's not too tin-foiley to wonder if the show was booked extra lopsided because it was likely the NBA game on TNT was ending around the same time as the end of this show.

Otherwise it's awful curious that the clear highlight of the show was booked in the traditional women's match spot on the card and then we had all of the women's division stuff.

I actually considered that too. Because they likely know the viewership is going to be down regardless due to the playoffs, so why not give the main event spot to a couple of people the crowd hasn't been given a chance to care about.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Ah well. I liked the match because I like watching both of those some work but to the larger AEW audience no one is gonna care when there's no real build. It's just a shame because I get why he's trying to build a match for that particular belt as main event worthy, and get some more eyes on women's matches.

That division really needs work. :(

(Although, it's technically ROH women's division, but you know what I mean.)

You can't have matches with no build up and expect the crowd to go crazy. The order of matches is just as important as the match itself. You just had Fenix and Dante doing a bunch of crazy shit. Its almost like this match was thrown together at the last minute just so Tony could get the belt of off Deonna.

Jan 31, 2018
I thought it was a good show that paled in comparison to the last weeks insane run and next week's stacked card. It was a tough ask to get people to care when Deonna is in another company that almost nobody watches. They are making steps in the right direction regarding the women's division, let's just hope they continue to build on that.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't the best show but we got some storyline development. Heel Hangman, Bucks /Hardyz, Wardlow/MJF segment, Fenix/Dante, BCC, Julia Hart interaction with the HoB was great.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
First Deonna match I've watched and I wouldn't mind seeing more

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Really hope they have something big planned for the Julia turn, because after that tease didn't deliver I'm not sure crowds will be quite as into it again

Jan 31, 2018
Sorry to keep harping on this subject but because I have AEW shows in high regards, the dogshit segments really stick from the rest. If a person absolutely sucks at promos, don't put them in front of the crowd and have them cut a promo!!!! It happens with Sammy and on this show Pillman Jr was giving the worst acting tryout session you can imagine.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
This was the worst dynamite of the year for me, maybe ever. Sloppiness from top to bottom, awkward segment after awkward segment, stiff promos, weird crowd. Dante/Fenix had its moments but that was it. Can't win 'em all. Onto Rampage 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they have something big planned for the Julia turn, because after that tease didn't deliver I'm not sure crowds will be quite as into it again

I think they just need to drop the whole Julia/HoB thing altogether at this point. That was the moment to pull the trigger if she was joining.

But doesn't Julia have a snake? You know what would be cool? Have her team up with Jake and Archer. She could adopt some good old Jake/Damien-isms and it would be awesome!

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
It was a good match

Crowd reaction was about what you would expect considering

Deonna doesn't work here making the outcome fairly obvious given what happened with every other ROH belt.
Mercedes has only had 3 matches on TV and has 0 singles wins

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It really does stand out when you see new stars and new ideas get suuuuuper over, and then someone cuts a rough promo or misses their spot or just moves slowly in the ring. Like if this was AEW in 2020 we'd probably be a lot more forgiving. But it's 2022 and most of the stuff AEW puts on TV is the most fire stuff happening in pro wrestling.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
reminder this thread can lean real critical, but as mentioned standards can be pretty high

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are being too hard on this show. Not every show can be the best wrestling episode ever. I don't think there was anything outright bad. Deonna vs Mercedes needed more build but was still a good match. Fenix and Dante was good. Even the Julia Hart tease finally getting that story moving was fine. Get her away from Pillman pls

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, alright well, while AEW still has a lot of work to do with the presentation of their women I'm seeing a lot of talented female wrestlers being featured recently and this week. Julia has a lot to offer beyond just her technical wrestling, which she showed tonight in particular. If you say she has potential, then give her the opportunity to grow. If anything you should be complaining about a clown named Pillman Jr. getting that much mic time and an attempted rub from the local NFL coach.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd give even less TV time to Pillman Jr. Unlike Julia he has no hope. Also, i should clarify I wasn't really referring to this segment but rather I was making a joking referencing that some weeks ago Julia had a match on TV and I suggested here that her match should've gotten trimmed to give more time to the main event and someone here got VERY upset with me for suggesting that.

I get that they've written themselves into this angle with Julia and at some point they needed to move this story forward and the only way it matters is if it's on TV but boy, this angle. And I don't want to lay this on her as I think she's done her best with this stupid angle and certainly Pillman Jr.'s promo was far worse than anything she did in that segment (hell, the live crowd ate up what she did really) but they need to kill this story.

And my point with Julia and TV time is that I'd give TV time to just about any other women on that roster over Julia. Yes she needs to continue working in front of big crowds in order for her to get better but that's what Dark Elevation is for, getting younger and/or greener talent ring time in front of Dynamite/Rampage live audiences. Sticking her on TV isn't going to help her right now and they have so many other women on that roster that could better use that TV time.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to keep harping on this subject but because I have AEW shows in high regards, the dogshit segments really stick from the rest. If a person absolutely sucks at promos, don't put them in front of the crowd and have them cut a promo!!!! It happens with Sammy and on this show Pillman Jr was giving the worst acting tryout session you can imagine.
They got Harbaugh to come to the show and forced it because of his connection to the Pillman family. I get what they were going for, but that was a miss

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Joke:

Wait? No Hook and Danhuasan?

0 Stars.
In reality that was a really good wrestling show I appreciated almost everything.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
Really solid Dynamite. Nothing too great, but some good stuff.

- Owen Hart Tournament Qualifier: Jeff Hardy vs Bobby Fish - **1/2 - Average match. Nothing noteworthy
- Blackpool Combat Club vs Butcher, Blade & Angelico - *** - Really fun match. Love these trios matches
- I think this Team Taz/Lee & Swerve/Jurassic Express feud leads to a three way tag at Double or Nothing. Could be a great match, although I'll settle for a Starks/Hobbs vs Swerve/Lee match for the titles too
- Wardlow vs W. Morrissey - **1/2 - Fun Match. Good big man vs bigger man spots
- I liked Big Cass in NXT and I'm so glad he's healthy and has overcame his addictions.
- The whole Wardlow segment was phenomenal. He's quickly becoming a favorite of mine. AEW sure knows how to book a baby face
- Hangman's got some edge now. I like it. He isn't heel, just confident in his talents to beat Punk. I still think Punk is turning at DoN.
- Konosuke Takeshita vs Jay Lethal?? Okay, that match will rule
- Santana vs Chris Jericho - *** - Good match. Jericho has really gotten himself into great shape
- The Gunn Club give The Acclaimed scissors 😂😂
- I stepped out for a few seconds during the Varsity Blonds/House of Black segment. I liked the teases for Julia finally turning. Still I love House of Black, so seeing that cool ass entrance was all I needed lol
- Okay I usually don't do this, but good lawd at Jade. I think I went through puberty again
- Owen Hart Tournament Qualifier: Dante Martin vs Rey Fenix - **** - Loved this match. Great moves from both that dazzled and had me on the edge of my seat.
- A Joker for the Owen Tournaments?? Oh hell yeah. Not even gonna guess who it is.
- Solid segment with Rosa & Deeb. It wasnt a slam dunk, but we need more segments with build to them in the women's division.
- Undisputed ROH Women's World Championship: Deonna Purrazzo © vs Mercedes Martinez © - ***1/2 - Solid match here. The crowd was behind both ladies and they showed their respect for two "unknowns". First time seeing Deonna and I'm instantly a fan. She's great.

Rating - B
Fun show with a lot of storyline build and some good matches.

I had a section which I deleted because I don't want drama. I'll just say, I'm glad I'm not a promoter who has to go on the internet after a show. No matter what you do it isn't good enough.

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
Deonna and Mercedes were in a tough spot for sure but I thought by the end they had won the crowd over? Plus it was a really solid match, probably Mercedes' best outing in an AEW ring so far and a really good showing for Deonna as well. Hope she makes more appearances in the future.

I thought the Wardlow match/post match segment were great too. They have done a masterful job building him up. Fenix vs. Dante was as crazy good as we expect it to be and it's always a treat seeing the BCC. Only low points IMO were def Pillman's promo which was an all time stinker and not pulling the trigger on Julia (black)Hart joining the HOB. Like...that was the time to pull the trigger if there ever was one. Just get it over with!

Not the greatest Dynamite ever but to call it the absolute worst is straight wack.

Edit: Still laughing at Austin Gunn's dork ass saying 'yeah we spoke to pa-pá!'.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the working relationship with impact is done or is there more to it than this one off. This was obviously brought about due to ROH. I can see good bros at forbidden door but their contract might be up by then.

Oct 25, 2017
and someone here got VERY upset with me for suggesting that.

Haha I didn't realize that, women wrestlers certainly have their, uh, let's call them stans.

I get what you're saying overall though, I think we have different opinions about the quality of the angle but I agree with others who say it's been dragged out way too long. It's been hurt a great deal by that.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Just caught up with the show. A bit of a breakdown:

Loved
-Wardlow/MJF/W. Morrissey/Shawn Spears. This is the hottest thing in the company. The crowd is hungry (and thirsty) for the Wardog, and they've been nailing this almost every step of the way since the turn at Revolution.
-Hangman's promo. FINALLY a meaty segment where he just gets to talk! Great intensity. I'm incredibly curious to see what they're trying to accomplish here. I kind of want Hangman to beat Punk, but I just don't know if that's going to happen. I actually wouldn't mind them running it back at All Out with Punk winning THERE after turning heel.
-Ruby Soho getting to cut a promo and sounding great doing it. I've been a big supporter of hers since her debut, and I'll keep beating that drum. She's good! REALLY good, in fact! Put her on TV! It's actually going to help Toni Storm, too, who has shown that mic skills aren't her forte just yet.
-Acclaimed/Gunn Club backstage segment. LOL. These guys are great together. Biggest laugh of the night for me.

Liked
-Thunder and Serena getting legit promo time and building on their history. They both need to work on the mic aspect of their game. Hope Tony gives them the room to develop it. This was a bit clunky, but I'm glad it was on the show regardless.
-Sw3rve and Keith Lee. Work on that Sw3rve in his glory catchphrase, though.
-Jurassic Express/Ricky/Hobbs. Ricky is so damn good. I hope they know what they've got in him. Easy top 5 guy in the entire company.
-Dante vs. Fenix. There's a version of this match where it ends up in the "loved" category, but it just felt like the pacing of this one was a bit off at times, and some of the timing between them didn't hit. Run it back and I'm sure they can put together something truly great. Glad the fans liked it.
-BCC vs. Butcher/Blade/Angelico. They showed the video package, too! I think everyone's ready to see what's next and who's going to step up to the BCC. I'm still calling a New Japan stable coming after them, though it would be pretty cool to see Danielson and Moxley team up with Eddie's crew for a spell.
-Jade. It's Jade!
-JOKER tease. Joe vs. Claudio in round one?

Indifferent bordering on didn't like
-Fish vs. Hardy. I hope Jeff Hardy is for somebody because he's not for me. This match was just kind of there.
-Jericho vs. Santana. This thing just plodded along for me. Also felt like it was just kind of there and I was waiting for it to end.
-House of Black/Julia/Varsity Blondes/Death Triangle. What an awkward finish to zero crowd reaction. :-/ And then Julia's still there when they're setting up the Dante/Fenix match? Just bad from a production standpoint. Varsity Blands don't do much for me, and it doesn't sound like they do much for most fans.
-The main event. I hate that this is here. There were some technically fine moments, and I REALLY enjoyed Deonna's last match against Taya Valkyrie, but there was so little heat to this match that I just couldn't ever really get into it. I don't think Tony did enough to make fans pick a side. Why not do an angle where Deonna takes out Mercedes or something? Even if it's a pre-tape. The post-match was emotional for Mercedes, which was nice to see, but then you just had JR talking over it and going on about Darby Allin and the show just cutting him off mid-sentence. WTF? They haven't shown us enough about why we should care about Mercedes Martinez either. This thing was a bummer despite having some things to like about it. :-/

I'm generally positive on AEW, but overall tonight, I'd give this show a 6/10, which is disappointing for a Dynamite, though I'm still glad I watched it. The three matches mentioned above just ate up SO much time and I didn't feel any of them were particularly exciting. Even the match I was looking forward to the most, Dante/Fenix, didn't meet my admittedly lofty expectations, though I did still enjoy it. This show broke a hot streak for me that goes back as far as February for this company. They've just been killing it so regularly that less-than-amazing shows stand out more.

Rampage looks like a nice bounce-back show, and next week's Dynamite already looks better on paper, too.

Time to read back what I missed in the thread. :) Hope everyone's having a good night.

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
My complaints about 30-minutes worth of the last hour aside, the episode was pretty good. So much of it was over with the crowd.