• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Kenny Omega is going to be on the Put Your Quarters YouTube show. I take it he's not actually familiar with how the hosts act, and just thinks Arcade 1UP = good.

Edit: I especially assume Kenny isn't familiar with John D, the spokesperson for 1UP. John tweeted that seeing Ryu's crotch in the SF6 reveal was disgusting, along with a vomiting emoji. John D quickly deleted it, but I saw it in my notifications before it was gone.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
YES. Tony has said he's open to talking with Maria, too. I hope that meeting actually happens. I just wonder how much power Tony is willing to secede to someone new, and whether he would be too proud to admit that he's not doing enough on his own.
There's something but yeah it would entirely depend on TK willing to cede power in some capacity.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
You might get your wish

www.fightful.com

Maria Kanellis Says Tony Khan Has Reached Out Regarding ROH Position | Fightful News

Marie Kanellis has been in contact with Tony Khan.

There's something but yeah it would entirely depend on TK willing to cede power in some capacity.

Crossing my fingers that something comes of this. ROH TV did a special on the women's tournament a while ago, and they talked about the collaborative backstage atmosphere leading into it. Working on a division that's on a major network is something else entirely, but I'd be curious to see what Maria could bring to the table, and how much power Tony would potentially give her.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Last health update on me hopefully

I'm home.

I can't say I'm happy about it because they've made it perfectly clear today that they just wanted me out already, I know in myself that I'm not there yet but y'know the blood tests didn't agree with me.

So I'm currently back home on my bed, in a house with no water, no loos, no way to wash or clean myself (perfect timing huh + this is kinda very important given what I've had done), the fuckers didn't even send me home with basic painkillers let alone ones that help.

I've still got Covid. I think? The one good thing is my Covid has remained symptom free the last 10 days. I was hoping for one last test to see if it was gone yet but nah and there's no way to get one free or paid in my local area, so I'm also isolating forever I guess. I just wanna see my dog :/

I won't be joining you guys due to focussing more on me the next few days but enjoy Dynamite and keep giving TK hell over the women.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I really can't understand why would one assume that the best way of making the Women's divison matter is to make them be around the men more. Like, what year is it lol

It's not really that complicated. Give them more time. Give them something meaningful to do. Pair more experienced women with less experienced so they can improve. Stop signing so many men talent and start signing more good women wrestlers. You know, show that you care about the division and invest in it? If WWE, of all places, despite everything wrong they still do with the division, could do it, there's 0 reaons why AEW can't other than the people in charge doesn't have the same faith in them.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Given time and talent constraints, I'm on board with just picking 6-8 women to put a concerted effort into building, then cycling one or two out and building new ones after them. Right now, just give me...

Jade Cargill
Thunder Rosa
Hikaru Shida
Kris Statlander
Toni Storm
Jamie Hayter
Serena Deeb
Ruby Soho

Britt is already built, and you can float a Nyla or a Layla in the background from time to time. If they're not going to do anything with a Penelope Ford, then I shouldn't be seeing her as much as we've seen her in the past. It's fine to shine a light on a future talent from time to time ala a Skye Blue, but unless that person is an exceptional talent, they shouldn't be having more TV matches than any of the women mentioned above.

Given that AEW relies on the wrestlers to float their own stories to Tony too, though, I also wonder what he's being pitched by the women. If they're not good at pitching (as Jack Evans has said about himself and Angelico in the past,) then get somebody who can map things out, whether that's Maria or someone else. Look back at what has been done in the past, and use those as templates. Something like Punk vs. MJF is unreasonable to expect out of the gate, as that's basically the cream of the crop when it comes to pro wrestling storytelling, but do SOMETHING that's more than just "Grr. I don't like you. Let's fight about it," or "Tournament time!" (The TBS tournament was really good, so less shade there.)

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

I'm home.

I can't say I'm happy about it because they've made it perfectly clear today that they just wanted me out already, I know in myself that I'm not there yet but y'know the blood tests didn't agree with me.

So I'm currently back home on my bed, in a house with no water, no loos, no way to wash or clean myself (perfect timing huh + this is kinda very important given what I've had done), the fuckers didn't even send me home with basic painkillers let alone ones that help.

I've still got Covid. I think? The one good thing is my Covid has remained symptom free the last 10 days. I was hoping for one last test to see if it was gone yet but nah and there's no way to get one free or paid in my local area, so I'm also isolating forever I guess. I just wanna see my dog :/

I won't be joining you guys due to focussing more on me the next few days but enjoy Dynamite and keep giving TK hell over the women.

You thought about setting up a go fund me for a week or so in a hotel at the least? I'm sure many of us would be happy to help how we can.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The women's division needs a complete overhaul and minimum screentime targets.

Like 2x matches totaling a minimum of 18 minutes and 3-4 vinnettes/mic segments totaling 15.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

I'm home.

Damn. This sucks, Paz. I don't know your personal situation, but is there no way to get running water?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
completely disagree that the solution to the current status quo of the women's division is more jade and britt. have y'all not been watching tv for the past year? you can't put awful match after awful match on tv and PPV and expect the women's division to get more attention on a pro wrestling show.

aew has half a dozen incredible women's wrestlers who simply never get TV time. and their fucking new women's champion is one of them. rosa, shida, riho prior to her injury, deeb, hayter, and you can add toni storm to the list, have gotten astonishingly little tv time for matches over the past year. and when they do get tv time, it's "wow, what a great match!" and then they fucking disappear again. you've even got solid good hands like statlander, ruby, and nyla who have gotten no time.

the answer to this problem is to give these women more matches. put them against each other. find an excuse to give them constant matches against each other. the owen will be a good opportunity, but i don't trust tony to put the right people over. and having fucking 16 5-minute qualifier matches against jobbers, more jade matches -- shit's not going to improve the state of things.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
You thought about setting up a go fund me for a week or so in a hotel at the least? I'm sure many of us would be happy to help how we can.
We've got someone coming out to see to it tomorrow sometime, so hopefully it shouldn't come to that. The problem is the first time it happened like 2 to 3 weeks ago so I'm not exactly confident in this guys abilities to get it done right.

Rivenblade

I've been told we have water downstairs but we just can't use it in the bathrooms, it's not a no water problem that's effecting everything else, it's a pipe blockage thing that's preventing us from using water in anywhere but one downstairs sink as when we use the loos or upstairs sink we get sewage water coming up through the shower and leaking through the ceiling.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, just that's what happened one day while I wa in hospital and it's happened again today after we already gave this guy 3 figures to sort it -_-

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
completely disagree that the solution to the current status quo of the women's division is more jade and britt. have y'all not been watching tv for the past year? you can't put awful match after awful match on tv and PPV and expect the women's division to get more attention on a pro wrestling show.

aew has half a dozen incredible women's wrestlers who simply never get TV time. and their fucking new women's champion is one of them. rosa, shida, riho prior to her injury, deeb, hayter, and you can add toni storm to the list, have gotten astonishingly little tv time for matches over the past year. and when they do get tv time, it's "wow, what a great match!" and then they fucking disappear again. you've even got solid good hands like statlander, ruby, and nyla who have gotten no time.

the answer to this problem is to give these women more matches. put them against each other. find an excuse to give them constant matches against each other. the owen will be a good opportunity, but i don't trust tony to put the right people over. and having fucking 16 5-minute qualifier matches against jobbers, more jade matches -- shit's not going to improve the state of things.

I think you hit the nail on the head when talking about tv time; there aren't many true feuds in the women's division, just some quick "I don't like you" spats that die out in a few weeks. And when they do get time, the choices made are often poor, i.e. the Shafir match being a complete dud (it didn't have to be) and your new women's champion starting off her reign in the worst possible way with Vicky. These booking choices feel like's someone's afterthoughts, which I'm sure they are.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
WWE Has Interest In FTR, Update On Their Contracts With AEW

It might be contract season for FTR, but regardless, there's already some outside interest.
FTR are having the hottest years of their career, and their contracts are coming up soon...well sort of. Fightful has learned that Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler's deals are technically available to expire this Summer, but that All Elite Wrestling retains an option year on the duo. We're told that word should be coming on that being exercised or a contract extension coming soon.
Outside of that, we're told that WWE has expressed interest internally about possibly bringing back the team formerly known as The Revival. In 2019, the two passed up what were then huge offers of $850,000 each, with Mark Carrano even mentioning that he could possibly get them to $1 million each before they left for All Elite Wrestling. WWE is unable to approach FTR directly.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

angelico-aew.gif

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I totally disagree on the "all you need is more time and good matches" to make the women's division work. I really do.

Because Shida and Serena were putting in great matches. Didn't change much. Britt and Rosa got buzz for their match, didn't change a thing. Riho was putting up great matches, still no.

It takes more than that. Even Maria's method wasn't that. You have to have a strategy with that time. And integration isn't a bad plan; knocking the women into their own separate Codyverse isn't helping.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I totally disagree on the "all you need is more time and good matches" to make the women's division work. I really do.

Because Shida and Serena were putting in great matches. Didn't change much. Britt and Rosa got buzz for their match, didn't change a thing. Riho was putting up great matches, still no.

It takes more than that. Even Maria's method wasn't that. You have to have a strategy with that time. And integration isn't a bad plan; knocking the women into their own separate Codyverse isn't helping.
I agree with you. I think people put too much emphasis on putting on great matches. That is important but the casual fan gets hooked on the storytelling and peoples personalities way more then the actual in ring work.

Imo you hook people with the stories and characters and then get them to enjoy the matches.

Jan 31, 2018
The reason why people still talk to this day about Britt v Rosa 1 is because it was a great match with great work put in the feud. The reason why people were complaining about Rosa v Bitt 2 and (not as much) 3 was because this time the work put into it was lazy and uninspired. Shida v Deeb is a feud with excellent matches that has gone on for like... 6 months with intervals of 2 months when it wasn't even acknowledged before they resumed it.

It's a multi-layered problem that starts with TK giving them the most wack set-up for feuds. It doesn't help that a large part of the roster... sucks (sorry, they suck. They can improve but right now they shouldn't be on national TV) but the booking certainly doesn't help even with their top stars.

Jan 31, 2018
And this is kind of separate but Britt and Jade are awful heels. Sorry, but when all you do in your feuds is tell people that your opponent is beneath you and basically that they suck, it's just telling people to not care. It boggles my mind they keep doing that (the booking I may add, the performers are just performers).

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Find it hilarious that the E would ever have interest in a Tag Team. They don't do Tag Team Wrestling or put any emphasis into it. Why would the Best Tag Team in the world ever want to go back to the Minors of Tag Team Wrestling.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Find it hilarious that the E would ever have interest in a Tag Team. They don't do Tag Team Wrestling or put any emphasis into it. Why would the Best Tag Team in the world ever want to go back to the Minors of Tag Team Wrestling.

Money. The answer is always Money.

Oh and I agree with you.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why the hell am I seeing people even entertain the idea of FTR going back to WWE?

They have been treated Extremely well by AEW, are being pushed as mega faces and don't get treated to stories about them having itching powder put in their underwear.

Cody leaving has seriously messed with some people's minds.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Why would FTR sign for WWE in the best days of their career wrestling the WWE style when they could stay with AEW and put on bangers wherever they wanted?

All this does is gives them some leverage for big pay rises from TK.

This will be a recurring theme when AEW contracts come up. They'll get linked to WWE purely to get better deals from AEW. It's part of the reason why TK needs a big money TV deal. He's gonna be paying a lot more for the same talent.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This is WAY different than Cody. LOL FTR aren't going anywhere. They just had the most amazing week of their careers and want to go belt collecting around the world. Nevermind getting the chance to work with Bret Hart. They're on top of the world right now. What reason would they have to go back to WWE? They are guys who are legit focused on their legacy, and are likely gonna see a sizeable pay increase when their contract comes due anyway. Even if WWE could pay them more, they know what being there is like versus what being in AEW is like, and they're not as weird about things as Cody is.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Why would FTR sign for WWE in the best days of their career wrestling the WWE style when they could stay with AEW and put on bangers wherever they wanted?

All this does is gives them some leverage for big pay rises from TK.

This will be a recurring theme when AEW contracts come up. They'll get linked to WWE purely to get better deals from AEW. It's part of the reason why TK needs a big money TV deal. He's gonna be paying a lot more for the same talent.
Yup plus that's why we are seeing most of the unused talent not being resigned. He is going to have to pay for the main event talent.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Why the hell am I seeing people even entertain the idea of FTR going back to WWE?

They have been treated Extremely well by AEW, are being pushed as mega faces and don't get treated to stories about them having itching powder put in their underwear.

Cody leaving has seriously messed with some people's minds.

Don't forget they also get to go out to other promotions and win their belts, spread their wings and dominate global wrestling. They've surpassed WWE.

Money's always going to be a "yeah but...", but the way they've carried themselves and spoken about what their aims are, it sounds like they'd rather do real wrestling on their own terms and not have their lives thrown upside down by the shit show of WWE creative and insane working schedule, all amounting to literally fuck all. They won all the tag team belts and checked that off the list, there's nothing worth going back for.

They seem to want to wrestle the best and put on a fantastic show every time and there's still SO much left for them to do it's mental. The WWE life goes against what they seem to be striving for, especially with something like the work/life balance which I think Dax has touched on too. I don't know what their financial situation is but I'd imagine they've earned a wonderful amount over the last few years in particular (including the last couple of years in WWE perhaps) and will continue to do so for as long as they exist. They're established and have room to maneuver.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
FTR vs the Usos or Street Profits or New Day or.......

......yeah , that's about it. They ain't going nowhere but they will get a substantial raise.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

frankly, all of the feuds you've cited are perfect examples of why I'm right. all three are probably the most highly regarded arcs in the history of AEW's women's division. Riho got over purely through delivering excellent matches. want to know what derailed it? she was only on tv once a month. how did britt vs. rosa get over? their first match had zero heat and was fucking awesome, which is what made the second match so special. then what happened? rosa didn't appear on tv for months. when they finally got back together, the feud had fizzled -- because their final two matches weren't great. how about deeb and shida? they had perhaps the best example of what fans actually want from the women's division. two matches in October 2021, a story via the tournament into November, followed by a blowoff in December. what have we gotten since? a shitty 2-minute match in January and nothing since except the two doing quick jobber matches. shit fucking sucks. and despite that it's still the most exciting rivalry in the division -- and both shida and deeb don't really do promos.

how can anyone look at any of the women's division in AEW, at any point in time, and say "I feel like the best wrestlers in the division were getting plenty of time to put on the quality of matches they're capable of." because it's just never happened.

the entire reason people want more from the women's division is because of those rare great matches. tony's biggest failure in all of AEW has been his inability to deliver those matches frequently. week to week. month to month. you can shove as many britt and jade promos down our throat as you want. they haven't done shit to get people excited for the division.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Playing catch-up.

-Sorry, Jack. But yeah, it seemed like a foregone conclusion. Ah well TH2 had some great matches. Anyone know Angelico's status?

-No way is FTR leaving. They're carving out their path to being one of the greatest tag teams of all time. Guaranteed they'll be getting another run with the AE-Dub belts and they'll be going to Japan to wreck shit there too. Give them all the money, TK.

-I'm not as plugged into everything as y'all, but it sounds like TK may be seeking help with booking the women's division? Great! It's about damn time! I really love the talent they have on the roster right now, they just need to do something (more) with it! But they should also sign Willow!

-I normally wait for Wednesday's workout to put on Elevation but couldn't wait to check out the new look Stat. She's still great in ring of course, but… I dunno. I hope this isn't a permanent change. I enjoyed her lighthearted personality. It was ridiculously endearing. I can also appreciate a remixed them but it doesn't hit like the original for me. (yet) I'm still a huge Queen Stat 👑 👽 mark, but I don't want her to lose anything that made her so awesome in the first place.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Riho got over purely through delivering excellent matches.

And made it clear where she fit in the grand scheme of things: first champ, friends with Kenny, etc. etc. They gave the people stuff to root for.

how did britt vs. rosa get over? their first match had zero heat and was fucking awesome, which is what made the second match so special.

Wasn't just that. It was also the fact that Rosa was the one she hadn't beaten. It was built up as destiny that she'd lose to Rosa. The second match then almost completely deflating the feud due to booking

how about deeb and shida? they had perhaps the best example of what fans actually want from the women's division. two matches in October 2021, a story via the tournament into November, followed by a blowoff in December. what have we gotten since? a shitty 2-minute match in January and nothing since except the two doing quick jobber matches. shit fucking sucks. and despite that it's still the most exciting rivalry in the division -- and both shida and deeb don't really do promos.

And those matches had stuff going for them because of what was already built up. The lack of doing more with it beyond matches and the occasional promos made the feud peter out.

how can anyone look at any of the women's division in AEW, at any point in time, and say "I feel like the best wrestlers in the division were getting plenty of time to put on the quality of matches they're capable of." because it's just never happened.

The most successful women's divisions in this era: NXT from Horsewomen to end of Asuka's reign, Impact in recent times, ROH near the end, were more than able to sustain themselves and their momentum while not using their best.

NXT was able to make gold out of an Eva Marie title shot. They had plenty of people in there that were not at the same level as the Horsewomen/Asuka, and still made it work.

Impact's women's division has never been the best in terms of in ring ability.

The girl who ended up being the ROH women's champion was green. One of their biggest storylines was a commentator against Angelina Love and Mandy Leon. Not Trish Adora, not Mercedes, not even Willow (all of whom are leagues better than Rok-C, Quinn McKay and The Allure). It still worked.

the entire reason people want more from the women's division is because of those rare great matches. tony's biggest failure in all of AEW has been his inability to deliver those matches frequently. week to week. month to month. you can shove as many britt and jade promos down our throat as you want. they haven't done shit to get people excited for the division.

I completely disagree with that, at least on the Jade side. There are demos AEW isn't known for getting who are actually interested in her. Demos Tony Khan almost derailed with the Big Swole fiasco. If he doesn't capitalize on that, WWE damn sure will.

And the way to do that isn't just putting Jade in matches. It's making feuds that matter, and that takes build up. Build up that would be a lot easier in replacing shows like BotB with stuff similar to one night only like Impact had.

That's my point. Great matches alone are great. But the women need more than that to break out of this complaint cycle. They need real buzz.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Going back to the shows I had to watch on my phone now on my TV.

I don't know if it's Riccaboni or the other guy but when Joe comes out at the end of Supercard, one of these two start cackling sinisterly and I think this is my favourite announcer call of the year.