• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
wrestletalk.com

Very Important Change Coming For Future Of AEW - WrestleTalk

A very important change appears to be happening within Turner Network, that could have massive implications for the future of AEW.
Pointing out that the stigma of wrestling might affect how much swearing and blood AEW will be able to implement following a new deal, and also noting that the change could affect the likelihood of a deal being reached altogether, Dave Meltzer wrote:

"One very important thing in the future of AEW come 2023 when negotiations are going on for a new deal is that it looks like Kathleen Finch, the former Chief Lifestyle Brands Officer at Discovery, will be the person put in charge at TBS as part of the WarnerMedia and Discovery merger. So the station will have her vision.

"Dynamite is doing very well, and its actually the highest rated thing on the station other than the NBA or other major sports, but wrestling has a stigma. The other would be her view of programming in regard to things like blood and swearing."

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
wrestletalk.com

A very important change appears to be happening within Turner Network, that could have massive implications for the future of AEW.
Pointing out that the stigma of wrestling might affect how much swearing and blood AEW will be able to implement following a new deal, and also noting that the change could affect the likelihood of a deal being reached altogether, Dave Meltzer wrote:
Meltzer lowkey licking his lips hoping to finally be proven right about women not liking blood

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Quick notes:

-Martha Hart will be at the Owen Hart Foundation tournament final in Vegas
-"Expect Blood and Guts this summer."
-Will be "racing" to talk to Dana White about potential UFC integration in the future

He also talked about wanting to work with Conor McGregor….between that, the Dana worship, and his nutso tweets it hasn't exactly been a banner day for Tony.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
wrestletalk.com

Meanwhile on TLC,

Plus Tony has more power than WCW when Kellner happened

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
wrestletalk.com

I swear I've heard this at least four times already.

- TK's friend leaves TNT = "AEW might get cancelled"
- Various shake ups at Warner = "AEW might get cancelled"
- Discovery buying Warner = "AEW might get cancelled"
- New person heading TBS = "AEW might get cancelled"

It's becoming old at this point. Warner execs are happy with the success of AEW. Don't think anything is going to happen, maybe a few less shits said. AEW can always try for a new network too.

I swear to god, if AEW gets WCW'd over this...

WCW was owned by Time Warner. AEW is owned by the Khan family. If AEW leaves the Turner network, they can try to get Dynamite on another channel. Don't think anything will happen though. TK talks with the execs pretty often. He'll likely know well in advance if AEW needs to move.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
All this FTR love has been amazing and got me in an old school mode. Anybody knows which Midnight Express matches I should watch?

If you can put up with Cornette there's a YouTube playlist of the Midnight Express. Not sure if they're legal or not so I won't link them, but it's not hard to find. Otherwise these are 2 matches of the many great ones they've had over the years. I actually saw the Clash of the Champions match fairly recently and it still holds up.

Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics - Clash of Champions 1

Midnight Express vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express - WrestleWar 1990

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
While Sammy and Tay are great in the ring, most of AEW audience are wrestling hardcore audience and that kind of audience doesn't like couples storyline especially when both couple are good looking. It could work if one of the the couple looks normal or not so much attractive so people can sympathize with them. It's like doing a bully story to someone super attractive. Nobody's going to believe and that's the case with Sammy and Tay. Plus Sammy has this heel face and his Twitter drama with his ex and Tay isn't really helping.
I honestly don't think this is mainly down to some incel jealousy etc.

Couples just work better as heels. Having a tag team is one thing but when you are actually putting focus on the fact they are a couple it just ends up feeling smug and like it's rubbing it in your face which goes better with heels.

The only time you can really do a face team is if you have them as an odd couple and then that just feels shallow and objectifying.

Ivol

Dec 12, 2017
If you can put up with Cornette there's a YouTube playlist of the Midnight Express. Not sure if they're legal or not so I won't link them, but it's not hard to find. Otherwise these are 2 matches of the many great ones they've had over the years. I actually saw the Clash of the Champions match fairly recently and it still holds up.

Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics - Clash of Champions 1

Midnight Express vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express - WrestleWar 1990
Yessss! Thank you very much. That's what I'm gonna do while I wait for Rampage

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I have another theory regarding Sammy's problems at the minute and it might not be popular…

He's missing the inner circle.

Jericho was the one who identified that Sammy was a better heel than a face: "he looks like an asshole!". Before the IC Sammy was very much Kip, very talented but a bit goofy (he wore a panda hat ffs). The IC made him cool and improved his look and overall gimmick, now he's 'graduated' and gone back on his own he's gone back to a face with issues getting over, and I don't think that's completely on TK. He books the show but the talent has a lot of creative input into whatever angles they're in.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
wrestletalk.com

What stigma does wrestling have in 2022? That it makes a ton of money?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I honestly don't think this is mainly down to some incel jealousy etc.

Couples just work better as heels. Having a tag team is one thing but when you are actually putting focus on the fact they are a couple it just ends up feeling smug and like it's rubbing it in your face which goes better with heels.

The only time you can really do a face team is if you have them as an odd couple and then that just feels shallow and objectifying.
On screen face couples that actually worked in wrestling:
Macho Man and Ms. Elizabeth
Matt Hardy and Lita

I'm kind of struggling to think of more

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I have another theory regarding Sammy's problems at the minute and it might not be popular…

He's missing the inner circle.

Jericho was the one who identified that Sammy was a better heel than a face: "he looks like an asshole!". Before the IC Sammy was very much Kip, very talented but a bit goofy (he wore a panda hat ffs). The IC made him cool and improved his look and overall gimmick, now he's 'graduated' and gone back on his own he's gone back to a face with issues getting over, and I don't think that's completely on TK. He books the show but the talent has a lot of creative input into whatever angles they're in.
Sammy's problem is that he sucks as a face, and comes across as generally unlikeable.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I also think proposing to your high school sweetheart at a show in a memorable moment that made news, before leaving her, and going out with another talent months later, was always going to be something a lot of people responded badly too.

I'm not judging anyone involved in that to be clear. It's just something that's going to come over badly for a lot of people. I know people who think highly of any celebrity that stays with their hometown loved one after they get famous. If they hadn't done that angle in ring, or to a lesser degree if Pam hadn't been so well liked amongst viewers of Sammy's vlog, I don't think we'd be here.

There's not much that can be done about the public proposal now, of course, and I certainly don't want this new relationship to fall apart either. But that's definitely part of the challenge for them as an onscreen couple.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I also think proposing to your high school sweetheart at a show in a memorable moment that made news, before leaving her, and going out with another talent months later, was always going to be something a lot of people responded badly too.

I'm not judging anyone involved in that to be clear. It's just something that's going to come over badly for a lot of people. I know people who think highly of any celebrity that stays with their hometown loved one after they get famous. If they hadn't done that angle in ring, or to a lesser degree if Pam hadn't been so well liked amongst viewers of Sammy's vlog, I don't think we'd be here.

There's not much that can be done about the public proposal now, of course, and I certainly don't want this new relationship to fall apart either. But that's definitely part of the challenge for them as an onscreen couple.
Yeah I'm sure that left a really bad taste in people's mouths who are fans of Sammy and especially his blog where she was featured. I don't judge cause shit happens and relationships don't always work out but, it being so soon after proposing and such was bad timing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Cocaine Khan woke up today and decided

IT'S TIME TO SHOOT

FrenchSpiffyCrustacean-size_restricted.gif

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
- It's too fake, who could believe this?
- It's too violent, who could watch this?

I heard that in the 1990s, but I've never heard that in real life in the past 10? years.

WWE made like a billon dollars last year, I have a very difficult time believe tv execs are thinking "it's too fake." lol.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
What stigma does wrestling have in 2022? That it makes a ton of money?

The image that its viewers are of lower income level (and lower spending habits) and thus the effect on the rates that advertisers (and which advertisers in general) are willing to pay for slots on wrestling shows. Whether it has merit nowadays or not, I don't know but that has been the challenge for the last 20 years.

Wrestling as a phenomenon has for a very long time drawn big audiences, but never has been given its due (or the monetary compensation) compared to other types of programming, due to the presumption of its audience.

(And of course I'd imagine the only major company being run by Vince may have had an effect as well.)

That's why you had the Westminster Dog Show causing RAW to be pre-empted, even when they had 4-5 million viewers.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm just going to pretend the 'TUNE INTO RAMPAGE' stuff is a bit at this point.

Because it's fucking funny. I know it's not actually a bit.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spicy TK on twitter fucking rules. Cannot believe there are actually people who want him to act "more professionally", lmao.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Wait why are people questioning this? Do you really think the competition isn't doing shit like this on Social Media? F I also believe Tony does the same shit back. It's Social Media it's all a Cancer and has zero barometer of what is actually going on. People can't be that gullible to thing this isn't happening at every level lol

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Wait why are people questioning this? Do you really think the competition isn't doing shit like this on Social Media? F I also believe Tony does the same shit back. It's Social Media it's all a Cancer and has zero barometer of what is actually going on. People can't be that gullible to thing this isn't happening at every level lol

I fully believe it's happening. Some of those accounts are super easy to spot, thankfully.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's going on with Tony. As long as he doesn't pull a Bischoff, AEW is going to be good.

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
Look, I have no doubt there's shenanigans going on in respect of abuse of the Twitter algorithm and TK has every right to call it out for trying to damage his company. But man, the timing of this.

When you want people to be talking about Rampage (and what by all accounts may be a MOTY contender) people are now instead going to be talking about this stuff.

Could he not have held off for like, 2 days?!

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I have no doubt there's shenanigans going on in respect of abuse of the Twitter algorithm and TK has every right to call it out for trying to damage his company. But man, the timing of this.

When you want people to be talking about Rampage (and what by all accounts may be a MOTY contender) people are now instead going to be talking about this stuff.

Could he not have held off for like, 2 days?!
Thinking our boy Yuta won't be draw enough stars to drown out any twitter drama smh