• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's a way to do a Tables Match and the way AEW did it wasn't right. It was probably the worst way to do a tables match, tbh. The right way to do a Tables Match is the first team to go through five tables loses. That way you can count both being put through a table and putting yourself unintentionally through a table. That way no one is ever eliminated. That way you can put one guy through a table a bunch of times and every time counts. That way you can do extra wild spots with multiple tables teasing (or doing) a big finish. That way every table spot matters.

The structure of the table match is what made it so weird. Shame, because those guys deserved more love for the big spots they did.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017
The track record of on screen couples in AEW is bad. We all know what happened with Cody and Brandi. Penelope and Kip stuff was a complete dud and almost ruined Miro. Sammy and Tay is turning out to be horrible. Britt and Adam had one very short segment on screen and then did their own things, which saved them. I think the AEW crowd just doesn't like seeing on screen couples. Jack and Anna should go to Tony and tell him to never book them in a angle together. I think it's cursed.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't think "they're gonna wrestle together because they're a couple!" is something that works in Wrestling. "They're gonna wrestle together because they have common enemies AND they're also a couple!" might be something that works.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Just like in any tv show you can have cute couples that people like and want to see together.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I'm huge on FTR's run at the moment. ROH, AEW, AAA, dominate the globe lads. It feels like it's really gone from 1 to 100 too in the last couple of months especially.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
The track record of on screen couples in AEW is bad. We all know what happened with Cody and Brandi. Penelope and Kip stuff was a complete dud and almost ruined Miro. Sammy and Tay is turning out to be horrible. Britt and Adam had one very short segment on screen and then did their own things, which saved them. I think the AEW crowd just doesn't like seeing on screen couples. Jack and Anna should go to Tony and tell him to never book them in a angle together. I think it's cursed.
Anna Jay and Jungle Boy were smart to keep their personal relationship personal.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Samoa Joe's entrance music kinda reminds me of the theme from Ernest Scared Stupid lol

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Just like in any tv show you can have cute couples that people like and want to see together.

Give me Dante and Skye on screen together! I'd also say Lee and Julia, but she has her own thing going on right now.

…oh shit! What if the cure for Malakai's corruption is love? 🥰

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
That was a really enjoyable Dynamite topped with an outstanding main event. Loved the show overall and the Rampage card has me super hyped!

Watching that tag match made me realise what I truly want, more than anything:

E5c1jtDX0AIeqfQ.jpg

Forget Hangman and the Bucks, let's get Hangman and FTR back together.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
That was a really enjoyable Dynamite topped with an outstanding main event. Loved the show overall and the Rampage card has me super hyped!

Watching that tag match made me realise what I truly want, more than anything:

E5c1jtDX0AIeqfQ.jpg

Forget Hangman and the Bucks, let's get Hangman and FTR back together.

I've wanted these three together since this segment. I originally thought a Cody/FTR/Hangman stable could be AEW's version of the 4 Horsemen.

Now just substitute Punk (or Andrade) for Cody and I feel you'd have a great stable. Hell throw Jade in there too.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Finally managed to finish Dynamite, hospital wifi + Fite's dynamic resolution switching thing is a pain in the arse, needs 5 mins to settle down every time.

Things I liked

FTR vs Bucks - It wasn't at the same level as their first match and didn't have the intensity of the Briscoes match but as far as TV tag matches go it will probably end up the best this year. Fantastic stuff.

Yuta continuing to stick up for himself against that dickhead Trent.

Samoa Joe felt like a big deal - it was funny, you could tell the people who watched the ROH show because they popped as soon as his video played but then there was a second pop when "SAMOA JOE" popped on screen. Quick dominance, all the hits, callback to that headbutt spot and the Muscle Buster returning.

Cole vs Christian - It was a slow burn and that slow segment lasted longer than I expected but the crowd were eating out of their hands by the end. Great match.

Adam Page finally feeling like a big deal again.

The crowd clearly conflicted on cheering Eddie after saying he'll go after Jericho in front of his kids lol.

Jade, in general, but also she's right, also them glasses were spectacular

The latest MJF/Wardlow segment, seeing Wardlow wreck terrible security every week does not get old.

Wot I didn't care for

The Tables Match - It was kind of a mess, not sloppy, just not thought out well. You get rid of Jeff first but he's not really gone so who cares. You have Jeff interfere in the match (yes I know it was no DQ) but it came off heelish then the camera misses Jeff pulling the table away from the barricade spot. Oh and Jeff goes through a table again. Like I get that you wanna get your money's worth Tony but it ain't popping me at least anymore.

Shida vs Julia - I had the same issue with this as I had with Toni's debut last week, the loser just got too much for me and the winner should've looked stronger. These are qualifying matches, not the semi finals featuring the best of the best. It really doesn't help that Julia's offence right now looks soft. I did enjoy her character work though.

The Tay/Sammy PiP stuff - I don't even know what they were talking about tbh

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really convey how fucking glad I am that Samoa Joe is now at a company that truly gets what he is all about, how to use him effectively and very, very likely gets to do some big time matches that I thought he'd never get to do again.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I have no issues with the qualifying matches going longer, but if everyone has to qualify for a TV tournament that isn't a single night thing, why not just do an extra set of brackets?

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
Samoa Joe felt like a big deal - it was funny, you could tell the people who watched the ROH show because they popped as soon as his video played but then there was a second pop when "SAMOA JOE" popped on screen.

This is 100% what happened. I just watched the Dynamite taping and the video package they showed on TV prior to the match with Joe's ROH debut wasn't shown in the arena, so I'm sure there were a bunch of people there that had no idea Joe had even signed with AEW prior to him coming out.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, Samoa Joe to me is one of the best to ever do it; and there's literally nobody outside of Brock Lesnar that looks as believable as Joe does. To someone watching for the first time, he just looks like THE final boss of pro-wrestling as soon as he comes out without any additional context needed.

His aura is just unmatched, and the fact that he's literally incredible at every other aspect of pro-wrestling makes him a complete package in a way very few people have ever been in wrestling. Add to that the fact that he seems like the coolest guy ever in real life and it just cements his place in my Top 3 wrestlers ever.

Fuck man, just the sound of people chanting his name during his entrance as if Goro's coming out adds so much to any match he's in.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Samoa Joe is just the latest in a list of AEW signings that I'm just so excited to see do stuff. Any stuff, really. Just so long as the stuff is being done. Joe, Swerve, Keith Lee, Buddy Matthews, Kyle O'Reilly. Maybe we can add Gresham and Bandido to the list, too.

Ah! Bright future for AEW.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be an incredible moment when Bret stands in an AE-Dub ring, grabs a mic, praises FTR, and shits on Goldberg.
😂 100% Bret is my GOAT! Nobody comes even close to him at this Wrestling thing. So him acknowledging that FTR are the new GOATS of this era would give me goosebumps!

However, I don't want him to be their manager. Face FTR doesn't need one. They are way over and both are amazing on the Mic anyways. There is no reason for a manager. Just let Bret praise them as his anointed Wrestlers to take the mantle of "Best there was, Best there is and Best there ever will be!"

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issues with the qualifying matches going longer, but if everyone has to qualify for a TV tournament that isn't a single night thing, why not just do an extra set of brackets?
I hope they're saving a couple of byes for some Japanese talent that may be going on tour soon and can't be around for months.

🙏

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
To add to the Dax tweet.

At some point, I really gotta make a video on how AEW and AEW talent have been reframing masculinity in pro wrestling.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Also, time to call a spade a spade and say "WTF are you doing, Tony Khan" in regard to Tay and Sammy. The meteoric plummet from the stars and through to the earth's core for Sammy in particular is mind-boggling.

How do you go from having one of the most revered matches in AEW history in the ladder match with Cody Rhodes, to posting pics of yourself and your girlfriend naked with the TNT title and talking about how you shot your load on it? I can kind of understand Sammy because he's young, careless (also reckless at times), and in love, but if he can't be trusted with this material, then Tony should step in.

I'd love to know who came up with all of the garbage since Sammy lost the title. Sammy walking out in that yellow t-shirt and looking like a little kid after losing the TNT title, and sounding unconvincing as a babyface…I just don't get it. Workshop this stuff. There must be guys and gals in the back who can help him work this stuff out.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
I've wanted these three together since this segment. I originally thought a Cody/FTR/Hangman stable could be AEW's version of the 4 Horsemen.

Now just substitute Punk (or Andrade) for Cody and I feel you'd have a great stable. Hell throw Jade in there too.

Andrade would be awesome for that! Alternatively, I'd also consider Wardlow for the 4th guy.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Also, time to call a spade a spade and say "WTF are you doing, Tony Khan" in regard to Tay and Sammy. The meteoric plummet from the stars and through to the earth's core for Sammy in particular is mind-boggling.

How do you go from having one of the most revered matches in AEW history in the ladder match with Cody Rhodes, to posting pics of yourself and your girlfriend naked with the TNT title and talking about how you shot your load on it? I can kind of understand Sammy because he's young, careless (also reckless at times), and in love, but if he can't be trusted with this material, then Tony should step in.

I'd love to know who came up with all of the garbage since Sammy lost the title. Sammy walking out in that yellow t-shirt and looking like a little kid after losing the TNT title, and sounding unconvincing as a babyface…I just don't get it. Workshop this stuff. There must be guys and gals in the back who can help him work this stuff out.
Sammy just isn't a Heel. He should of had a small face run that led to his true character as the Secondary Heel to MJF. You have the 4 Pillars and Jungle Boy and Darby are 100% faces. While MJF and Sammy are 100% Heels.

It's like sometimes Tony has a storyline for someone and something happens like Brandi and Cody leaving. Instead of just canceling the storyline he adds two other people that it just does nothing for.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Workshop this stuff. There must be guys and gals in the back who can help him work this stuff out.
That's assuming Sammy wants the help. He strikes me as the type that doesnt take critique well.
KgcBoIG.png

Sammy just isn't a Heel. He should of had a small face run that led to his true character as the Secondary Heel to MJF. You have the 4 Pillars and Jungle Boy and Darby are 100% faces. While MJF and Sammy are 100% Heels.
Assuming you meant he isnt a face? I agree with this too. Sammy feels like a natural heel.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
That's assuming Sammy wants the help. He strikes me as the type that doesnt take critique well.
KgcBoIG.png
I don't think this is a Sammy/Tay problem but a Tony problem. Remember when Brandi made that weird promo before they left. Tony just decided to make Sammy/Tay be Cody/Brandi and it's dumb.

Edit: Yes Face sorry!