• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I know the reaction to Cody going to WWE was "lol who cares," but what would your reaction be if MJF went to WWE?

Myself. 1) "why didn't you pay him more Tony! :'(" 2) I'd probably stop watching AEW for a while because I'd feel too deflated. 3) I'd still not watch WWE.

I'll also have the same reaction when the following wrestlers return to WWE: Danielson, Bryan. That is all.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I know the reaction to Cody going to WWE was "lol who cares," but what would your reaction be if MJF went to WWE?

Myself. 1) "why didn't you pay him more Tony! :'(" 2) I'd probably stop watching AEW for a while because I'd feel too deflated. 3) I'd still not watch WWE.

I'll also have the same reaction when the following wrestlers return to WWE: Danielson, Bryan. That is all.

Basically, there'd have to be a good 6 months of "no really, WWE is worth watching now" word of mouth before I'd believe it. Or word of mouth about a Walter/Dragunov tier match every week or two for a sustained amount of time. The track record of the last decade is that no single talent can make that shit worth watching.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK

Absolutely tasteless comparison from me here that I pre-apologise to folks for, I'm sorry but it's the only comparison I can think of.

WWE = Chernobyl

When people tell me it's safe to go back to watching WWE because "actually RAW was good this week"I'm still gonna side eye and hold off a few years until they've proven it's good now long term. That shitty company took too much time out of my life that I can't get back.

2. I don't see that happening but who knows how I'll feel at the time, the TK/Swole stuff put me off watching Rampage for a few days so maybe.

1. I admire the sticking to a budget thing TK claims he's doing but MJF is that important that if he needed to he should swallow his pride, go cap in hand to his dad and tell him he needs money for this guy.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'd miss MJF, and I'd definitely blame Khan for not offering him the money Vince would be paying, but I wouldn't stop watching AEW because of it. Neither would I go and watch shitty Raw or Smackdown.

One wrestler I like leaving wouldn't get me to stop watching a promotion. Hell, I stuck through gold brand NXT until AEW television started, and that whole promotion was centred around your favourite talent being taken away constantly.

The only kind of thing that would get me to stop would be Khan or The Elite outing themselves as massive bigots, or hiring someone like Tessa or Scurll and giving them big pushes. Or the show just generally going to shit.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017

1. Look after numero uno, make that coin, afford your energy bills, etc. etc.
2. Enjoy controlled, restricted, shackled mediocrity but a reasonable place on the card because his promo ability can get you out of a pinch creatively if needed. Sami Zayn-esque placement on the card targeting comedy or something? I dunno.
3. Max the Fried Man in an breaded chicken outfit with bells on it who gets dunked in Get Your Own Back gunk every week.

My mind goes many places.

MJF will be aware of all of these things and it's entirely on him to decide what's tolerable and what isn't. Things might be rosy for a while at the start due to the massive get of signing him over AEW but the ferryman always collects.

Me personally though? I'd be very disappointed. I don't like seeing good wrestling talent, folks who seem to want to be wrestling week in, week out, with solid creative control over their path (where the opposite can very easily destroy your career or make it extremely hard to rebound), get put in situations that won't enable them to shine and express the best ways they can. If they're aware going in and are fine with embracing sports entertainment over pure wrasslin', that's fine. A shame but they know what they're getting themselves in to. Make that coin, fuck around for a while, whatever. Just don't act surprised on the inevitable post-WWE Talk is Jericho session. Idealism is admirable but don't be naive. Or heck, you might be one of the very very few who cracks it and you succeed. Fantastic.

MJF seems to be a smart lad and I absolutely expect him at some point to splash around at WWE. It's just way too early in his career for that, IMO.

I hope Tony and MJF come to a good agreement that works out for everyone ultimately. Keep MJF for many more years to come.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Just as I tuned to see Bryan return, and I tuned more and more since Bryan went to AEW, I'd follow him anywhere he go. He elevates whatever place he's in.

And I would tune to see how MJF does. He is who he is because of the freedom he gets, so it'd be interesting.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like we should be getting at least 2-3 more matches for the ROH Supercard show, but holy shit that show's in two days. What are you even doing, Tony.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
It's several years away and TK needs to do whatever it takes to keep the homegrown talent, but the loss of a few people won't derail what's happening, even if it's MJF. And I don't care if Kenny Omega went to the e, I'd vote for Trump before I gave those shitheads my eyeballs.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, there'd have to be a good 6 months of "no really, WWE is worth watching now" word of mouth before I'd believe it. Or word of mouth about a Walter/Dragunov tier match every week or two for a sustained amount of time. The track record of the last decade is that no single talent can make that shit worth watching.

Ah "but raw was good." I remember reading that denial when Heyman was booking.

I like when my dogs have zoomies, but not the camera man on my pro wrassling show. Aka I can't even stomach the presentation, let alone the rest of it.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Ah "but raw was good." I remember reading that denial when Heyman was booking.

I like when my dogs have zoomies, but not the camera man on my pro wrassling show. Aka I can't even stomach the presentation, let alone the rest of it.

oh yeah, they'd have to change the nauseating camera work, too. Basically they'd have to turn the entire product in to something closer to AEW and NJPW for me to tune in... which they won't.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
The new AEW Games stream started a bit ago. I missed the start but Danhausen on now.

I'm surprised Danhausen isn't more into games.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France

"Whatever"
I don't really care for anything involving MJF. He's kinda just there for me.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
"Whatever"
I don't really care for anything involving MJF. He's kinda just there for me.

I totally respect your opinion. In fact, I used to loath MJF. But the Punk v MJF fued changed my mind. Now he's the guy I love to hate.

Another topic for everyone: Complete this sentence, "I haven't seen a fued as good as MJF and Punk since...."

For me, Austin v Bret.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I totally respect your opinion. In fact, I used to loath MJF. But the Punk v MJF fued changed my mind. Now he's the guy I love to hate.

Another topic for everyone: Complete this sentence, "I haven't seen a fued as good as MJF and Punk since...."

For me, Austin v Bret.

Daniel Bryan and the fans vs the whole WWE system fuckery

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

For me, Austin v Bret.

Before AEW and I really only watched Impact and even then it was sporadic, but there was 2 feuds that come to mind and they were Samoa Joe Vs Kurt Angle and Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong. Beer Money vs Motor City Machine Guns was great as well.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
All those diamond ring finishes and some cheap shot promos keep me from thinking I'd really miss MJF if he left but there's two years to change things.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'd miss MJF, and I'd definitely blame Khan for not offering him the money Vince would be paying, but I wouldn't stop watching AEW because of it. Neither would I go and watch shitty Raw or Smackdown.

One wrestler I like leaving wouldn't get me to stop watching a promotion. Hell, I stuck through gold brand NXT until AEW television started, and that whole promotion was centred around your favourite talent being taken away constantly.

The only kind of thing that would get me to stop would be Khan or The Elite outing themselves as massive bigots, or hiring someone like Tessa or Scurll and giving them big pushes. Or the show just generally going to shit.
Khan kind of showed his ass with his response to the Swole article. And he has made at least some questionable hires like Hager, not to mention he did put the Briscoes on this Friday's ROH show. Still has a long way to go before he can even approach some of the shitheads that have been in wrestling over the years but he's got some blemishes for sure. I definitely view him a little differently after the Swole situation.

The Elite (Kenny, Matt & Nick), I feel like people have tried to sling some shit at them but nothing that hasn't seemed incredibly flimsy to me. With Scurll for what it's worth for a time there it seemed like BTE was heavily hinting at doing something on TV with Scurll (most likely would not have signed him as he was ROH's booker at the time) but once the allegations came out and he didn't deny them basically he's not been mentioned or referenced again (I think he was even scrubbed from BTE's intro? Even scrubbed entirely from older BTEs?) so I don't ever see them working with Scurll. Apparently, Scurll has returned to wrestling recently… in Puerto Rico, which I can only assume is because it's the only place he could get booked. For all the shitty things shitty people have bounced back from over the years across entertainment taking advantage of a 16 year old is not something you can really bounce back from. Even if The Elite and TK's moral compasses were completely busted at least TK is a smart enough business man to know not to ever bring Scurll in.

Tessa also seems incredibly unlikely as I think if they were ever going to sign her they would've done it by now but I guess them working with her could be more likely now than it ever was previously? I say that because April Brooks (AKA, AJ Lee or CM Punk's wife) I want to say started a all women's wrestling company and Tessa was one of the first people signed. I have not heard a word about Tessa or that company since it started so I have no idea where any of that stands but I guess the Punk connection could make AEW doing some one off matches with Tessa possible. That said, her rep (particularly as a toxic locker room entity) makes it seem doubtful that AEW would ever do more than some one offs with her. We saw how quick AEW was to give Ivelisse the boot the moment her toxicness started to shine through.

But yeah, things would really have to be wild for me to not only drop watching AEW but also start watching weekly WWE programming for the first time since '05. As I've said before, lack of good talent isn't WWE's problem, it's quite literally everything else about the product.

Last edited:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Why is Max Caster having a singles match? Just let him get his Will Smith line in and have Punk and Bowens put on a banger.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018

If that happened I would just completely lose faith in Tony Khan's ability to run this thing. MJF is not someone you just let go, and that whole thing about them having an argument about that interview is kind of a red flag already.

I really like AEW but the cracks are already pretty visible and him losing MJF would be a telltale sign the man lost the plot.

But yeah, not watching WWE for anybody. Their roster has always been amazing so it's not like getting more people that I like to be a part of it is going to fix anything.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely tasteless comparison from me here that I pre-apologise to folks for, I'm sorry but it's the only comparison I can think of.

WWE = Chernobyl

When people tell me it's safe to go back to watching WWE because "actually RAW was good this week"I'm still gonna side eye and hold off a few years until they've proven it's good now long term. That shitty company took too much time out of my life that I can't get back.

2. I don't see that happening but who knows how I'll feel at the time, the TK/Swole stuff put me off watching Rampage for a few days so maybe.

1. I admire the sticking to a budget thing TK claims he's doing but MJF is that important that if he needed to he should swallow his pride, go cap in hand to his dad and tell him he needs money for this guy.
Honestly, AEW's roster is so bloated at this point that I'd be inclined to cut a number of people before I'd ever let MJF walk away.

oh yeah, they'd have to change the nauseating camera work, too. Basically they'd have to turn the entire product in to something closer to AEW and NJPW for me to tune in... which they won't.
For me, the two biggest hurdles to even get me to contemplate ever watching any amount of weekly WWE programming are the camera work and horrendous commentary.

chalk one up for cynicism and tony scrambling
Yeah, I think TK is going to learn very quickly that he needs a booking partner. TK books AEW PPVs, Dynamite, Rampage, Dark Elevation and co-books ROH PPVs and his partner books Dark, Battle of the Belts, weekly ROH programming, and co-books ROH PPVs.
Jay Lethal losing a match two days before the ROH PPV is an odd way to promote it.
Yeah, so I don't think Lethal is losing. He had that promo about losing his two TV matches to guys who cheated saying something needed to change. Sounds to me like a guy who is about to turn heel IMO. Presumably he'll be teaming with someone to feud with Moxley and Danielson though I have no clue as to who.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've heard Tony Schiavone straight up say they weren't going to hire Tessa a while back on a post show Q and A thing. I doubt anything has changed there.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Caster rap bingo for tonight includes:

-Punk's UFC career
-Smith/Rock
-AJ Lee/Tessa WOW
-Punk's dog Larry? 😬
-Colt Cabana? 😬
-Punk's comics/movie credits

Hmm. Definitely must-watch TV tonight in my books.

Last edited:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, AEW's roster is so bloated at this point that I'd be inclined to cut a number of people before I'd ever let MJF walk away.

For me, the two biggest hurdles to even get me to contemplate ever watching any amount of weekly WWE programming are the camera work and horrendous commentary.

Yeah, I think TK is going to learn very quickly that he needs a booking partner. TK books AEW PPVs, Dynamite, Rampage, Dark Elevation and co-books ROH PPVs and his partner books Dark, Battle of the Belts, weekly ROH programming, and co-books ROH PPVs.

Yeah, so I don't think Lethal is losing. He had that promo about losing his two TV matches to guys who cheated saying something needed to change. Sounds to me like a guy who is about to turn heel IMO. Presumably he'll be teaming with someone to feud with Moxley and Danielson though I have no clue as to who.

Gresham.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
If that happened I would just completely lose faith in Tony Khan's ability to run this thing. MJF is not someone you just let go, and that whole thing about them having an argument about that interview is kind of a red flag already.

I really like AEW but the cracks are already pretty visible and him losing MJF would be a telltale sign the man lost the plot.

But yeah, not watching WWE for anybody. Their roster has always been amazing so it's not like getting more people that I like to be a part of it is going to fix anything.

Yeah, the ghosting talent stuff, that infamous tweet and the weird fixation with having one women's match per show (with the odd occurrence of two) says a lot that the guy could go a tiny bit into *gasps* Vince in talent handling at any point.

Last edited: