• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
www.shopaew.com

Blackpool Combat Club - Forged

<p>All Merchandise is owned by All Elite Wrestling, LLC. </p><p> All t-shirts unless otherwise noted are 100% preshrunk cotton </p><p> All garments are made to order, please check size chart before ordering </p><p> Made in Chicago of imported fabric or...

I can't help but read the blood on the fist as "Boo" and it makes me laugh. When I zoom in on the shirt I can clearly see it's BCC, but upon first viewing/from afar it looks like it says BOO

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
One day we will get a Blackpool Combat Club vs Jericho Appreciation Society feud ending in a Blood & Guts match and a Garcia turn. It's a shame Regal won't be able to shout "WarGames" :(

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to MJF, I don't believe for a second that he is actively planning on leaving for WWE. He knows what they would do to him, and he's mostly using the possibility to build heat. However, he would be stupid if he didn't leverage their obvious interest in him to TK in order to get as much as possible. I clearly don't know for a fact, but I think TK realizes that MJF is one of the "Keep happy at all costs" talents (Yes, above even Cody, arguably in the Punk/Omega/Jericho tier) and will spend anything to keep him anyway.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to MJF, I don't believe for a second that he is actively planning on leaving for WWE. He knows what they would do to him, and he's mostly using the possibility to build heat. However, he would be stupid if he didn't leverage their obvious interest in him to TK in order to get as much as possible. I clearly don't know for a fact, but I think TK realizes that MJF is one of the "Keep happy at all costs" talents (Yes, above even Cody, arguably in the Punk/Omega/Jericho tier) and will spend anything to keep him anyway.
Yeah he's a generational talent and being treated as one too. He's easily the most protected of the 4 pillars. If you're TK you do whatever it takes to keep him all elite. I think he knew that since he got an extension well before his first contract was up.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Gonna give a quick rundown of what is currently working for me and what isn't in AEW.

Working
+Blackpool Combat Club
+MJF/Wardlow
+CM Punk
+FTR
+Jurassic Express
+JAS
+Jade
+Gunn Club
+The Acclaimed
+Sting/Darby
+Hardys
+Keith Lee/Swerve/Ricky/Hobbs
+Andrade's crew
+Hangman Page (with reservations...love his performances in the ring and on the mic, but booking has let him down)
+House of Black
+Danhausen
+Death Triangle
+Orange Cassidy
+Top Flight
+Eddie Kingston
+HOOK
+Wheeler Yuta

Not working
-The Lambertverse
-Dark Order (They lose too much, and I don't know their identity anymore)
-Kris Statlander repackage (Not sure if last night was her new wrestling gear, but it's a downgrade if so.)
-Thunder Rosa (just let her speak, FFS)

Middle ground (no strong reaction from me, or inconsistently booked)
-Adam Cole (Hate to admit that I'm kind of bored over here)
-ReDRagon (O'Reilly has shown more of a personality, but yeah, getting those mid-2010s ROH vibes with them a bit)
-Varsity Blondes (Meh)
-Leyla/Velvet
-Best Friends (Yuta rules right now, though)
-Nyla
-Shida/Deeb (not consistent enough, but this will jump to "working" once they have their next banger)
-Britt Baker
-Mercedes Martinez
-Scorpio Sky (see: Lambertverse)

And then we've got some MIA cases like Ruby, Penelope, Miro, and Riho.
I would definitely have Hangman in middle ground, if not not working.

Hangman is The Guy but feels like an afterthought every week he's on the show. If Hangman was a woman, Vickie would be threatening to get him deported.

It took me a few months to warm up to Kenny's reign so I'll give it more time.

I'll also add that if they want to, maybe the plan is already in motion, they can use the perception of an afterthought world champion angle for the program with Punk, who himself was an afterthought champion in WWE, because right now Punk is actually The Guy in AEW, the big star with the loudest pops, most YouTube views, breaking merch sales records.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help Page that the guy he is supposed to be feuding with - Cole - is currently booked like a geek. Bay bay.

He needs a proper challenger. I mean, the brief programme he had with Archer was better than this Cole stuff.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Hangman's reign started off hot with the Danielson feud. The Archer feud was fun for what it was, even if the "Archer shows up, gets presented as a big scary monster, and then loses" formula has started wearing a little thin.

The issue has been the Cole feud. I like Cole, but the New Japan interference gimmick has go away heat at this point, and Cole himself entered the world title picture after losing a feud to Orange Cassidy. Then Hangman beats him in the middle of the ring, gets his revenge, and now the feud is continuing? It very much feels like a WWE "we don't know what to do, so the feud will continue" type booking.

Dec 29, 2017
It doesn't help Page that the guy he is supposed to be feuding with - Cole - is currently booked like a geek. Bay bay.

He needs a proper challenger. I mean, the brief programme he had with Archer was better than this Cole stuff.

The only other credible challengers at this point are MJF, Moxley, CM Punk, and Miro. Miro has been MIA, MJF and Moxley are busy with their storylines. CM Punk might be risky. By risky I mean, he could make Hangman look bad. Not in the ring, but on the mic. Also, coming off the MJF and Kingston feuds, Hangman might be seen as a downgrade in terms of promo battles. He'll really needs to channel that 2019 intense Hangman that was going up against Jericho and not the 2022 "aww shucks guys" Hangman.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
So... I really want Wardlow to leave AEW programming for a while. But instead, Fuego 2 returns, but with muscle tits and a newfound love for powerbombs. And commentary will go "Wait, isn't that obviously..." "Fuego 2, yes, Fuego's tag team partner in Too Fast Too Fuego! We thought he left AEW, but he's back!"

MJF can show up and be livid that obviously this is Wardlow under the mask, but be told that officially, AEW doesn't check under the mask of luchadores, that's just rude.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
-Adam Cole (Hate to admit that I'm kind of bored over here)
-ReDRagon (O'Reilly has shown more of a personality, but yeah, getting those mid-2010s ROH vibes with them a bit)

As a die hard NXT fan during undisputed eras reign, everything they're doing together in AEW feels really stale. It just feels like a less good version of their NXT stuff. Cole was a blast when he was with the bucks at first but every since KOR showed up it's just been a bad undisputed era union. They need to get Cole away from ReDragon as soon as the Hangman feud is done haha.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So... I really want Wardlow to leave AEW programming for a while. But instead, Fuego 2 returns, but with muscle tits and a newfound love for powerbombs. And commentary will go "Wait, isn't that obviously..." "Fuego 2, yes, Fuego's tag team partner in Too Fast Too Fuego! We thought he left AEW, but he's back!"

MJF can show up and be livid that obviously this is Wardlow under the mask, but be told that officially, AEW doesn't check under the mask of luchadores, that's just rude.
I would 100% be down for this 😂

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I remember 2 years ago (?) MJF was cheating all the time to win and he had a match with someone where he promised to win without cheating to show he could, maybe it was against Jungle Boy, and he beat him without cheating.

I think Cole really needs to do something like that.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Adam Cole is suffering a bit from WWE style booking. Having your main title challenger "win" by cheating over and over instead of having them win and making them look like a legit threat, isn't helpful. This is not a common thing from AEW, hopefully they adjust

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
One day we will get a Blackpool Combat Club vs Jericho Appreciation Society feud ending in a Blood & Guts match and a Garcia turn. It's a shame Regal won't be able to shout "WarGames" :(
No but I bet he could say Blood & Guts pretty good. Also, I need PAC to leave Death Triangle for Blackpool Combat Club. The members of Death Triangle are all great but pairing PAC with Lucha Bros was always an odd pairing to me. I need PAC to be a Bastard again.
To be fair I can't imagine MJF being as interesting without AEW.
Not being interesting or even good isn't necessarily a prerequisite to being successful at WWE. Take The Miz for example.
Hangman's reign started off hot with the Danielson feud. The Archer feud was fun for what it was, even if the "Archer shows up, gets presented as a big scary monster, and then loses" formula has started wearing a little thin.

The issue has been the Cole feud. I like Cole, but the New Japan interference gimmick has go away heat at this point, and Cole himself entered the world title picture after losing a feud to Orange Cassidy. Then Hangman beats him in the middle of the ring, gets his revenge, and now the feud is continuing? It very much feels like a WWE "we don't know what to do, so the feud will continue" type booking.
This is the problem with Battle of the Belts. It doesn't really fit into how AEW books neatly. This feud most likely would've been over after Revolution as it really did feel like the natural end point but their choices for Battle of the Belts was hastily slap together a new challenger similar to the Lance Archer feud or extend the Cole feud. Even still, they pulled the trigger on this feud too early.

Mr. America for a new generation.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Adam Cole is suffering a bit from WWE style booking. Having your main title challenger "win" by cheating over and over instead of having them win and making them look like a legit threat, isn't helpful. This is not a common thing from AEW, hopefully they adjust
Yes and no. I don't think cheating inherently makes you a weak threat as I feel like MJF's cheated to win most of his matches but between his monster promos, the way he works and the way he's been booked MJF has almost always felt legit and like a credible threat in a way Cole hasn't in this feud. That said cheating has made Cole seem like a weak threat. Cole is solid in the ring but kind of a weak promo and even though MJF cheats to win you feel like he could win legit so I don't know. It's weird.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Cole being in a feud everyone knows he's losing definitely hurts. But the bigger issue for me is that his matches have just been delivering way under expectations for him. He's not re-discovered that old NXT energy he had. He's just doing very safe and average-energy TV matches. I find myself wanting his TV time to go to someone else who might push a bit harder to stand out.

Comes off as coasting on how over his entrance is.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I am disgusted by what Sammy admitted to doing with the TNT belt. He came on it? Wtf. There should be laws against this sort of thing.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I don't mind a bit of lewd and juvenile humor. AEW is a true variety show lol. Just don't need it every week.

They should tone down the low blows and cheating. Been way too much since Kenny & Callis. When the roster was smaller clean wins were more common and more meaningful. Now with so many factions and cramming lots of wrestlers on every show there is constant cheating and distractions which is lazy WWE style booking.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
Adam Cole is a challenger of convenience right now. It's clearly a Battle of the Belts thing but honestly, I can't wait for him to be out of the title picture. Despite how over he is for his past work, he needed (and still needs) a feud or two to establish himself _in AEW_ over _AEW talent_ and get some credible wins to build his worth. Booking him into the title picture again for an obvious loss does neither him nor Hangman any favours. It feels like more filler, longer to wait before Hangman gets a substantial feud. I hope we get a stip on their next match, at least.

It feels to me like Hangman needs a feud that feels personal, that teaches us more about him. His run at the belt was deeply personal and effecting, I want that to continue while he's champ too. Especially for his first run with the title. The in-ring output has been fantastic without question and overall I love him as our champion, but his reign has not been as emotional as his ascent was. It might be an intentional choice, the pressure of keeping the belt is causing him to push everyone away (including us, the viewers) and become more private. Maybe this will come to a head down the road. But again, that's him feuding with someone who either knows him personally or is unafraid to get personal and bring it up.

That would be Omega, PAC or John Silver for the first category... MJF, Punk or Eddie for the second. Give me... any of that, please.

(Actually John Silver would be an amazing feud because, despite the result never being in doubt it would still have a lasting consequences. Shit, I've talked myself into wanting a Johnny Hungee world title shot now.)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Yep, this is the issue. I think they really don't know what to do in between now and DoN. They had only two alternatives for Battle of the Belts, either going for another short Archer-like feud or continuing the one with Cole. Continuing the Adams stuff makes sense since now you also don't have to write something else for Cole but eh. It's really meh.

Blackpool Combat Club is my highlight of the show everyweek. I just have a lot of joy watching them being animals.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
It's Friday. You know what that means. 🧡

Happy Rickyyyyy(!) day!

Tay was such a wholesome sweetheart. Now we're here. At least they've got people talking but it's probably for the wrong reason.

I like Tay as a wrestler but I'm just not into this at all. I liked badass, Japan wrestling watching, going to kick your head off shooter Tay over this shit.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bryan and Mox eventually win the tag titles for sure at some point, but I'm wondering who can top them in the long haul. Bucks? It's hard to see them losing to anyone else really for some reason.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I like Tay as a wrestler but I'm just not into this at all. I liked badass, Japan wrestling watching, going to kick your head off shooter Tay over this shit.

Totally where I'm at. Shooter in the ring, sweetheart (but still badass) outside of it. This current edgelord direction ain't it for her. She needs to drop Sammy and get back with her man -1.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is Edge/Lita stuff and will backfire if they want those two to continue to get babyface reactions

Imagine being in a feud with Dan Lambert and somehow coming out of it as the heel.

They do realize that Cody's gone, right? Like even if this was the weird plan Cody had for himself and Brandi and Sammy and Tay are just standing in for them, they don't have to follow this plan to the letter? Last thing we need is a Sammyverse where he's a babyface in his eyes only and gets booed everywhere.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They do realize that Cody's gone, right? Like even if this was the weird plan Cody had for himself and Brandi and Sammy and Tay are just standing in for them, they don't have to follow this plan to the letter? Last thing we need is a Sammyverse where he's a babyface in his eyes only and gets booed everywhere.
It would be even worse for Sammy because Cody was much better on the mic and could usually turn people around by the end of a promo, even if it didn't help long term.

That isn't gonna work if all Sammy has is snarky jokes and insinuations about Cumming on the TNT title.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we have a video game title!

AEW: FIGHT FOREVER

"Mark For: AEW: FIGHT FOREVER trademark registration is intended to cover the categories of downloadable game software; Downloadable computer game software; Downloadable electronic game software; Downloadable interactive game software; Video game discs; Downloadable video game programs; Downloadable video game software; Recorded video game programs; Recorded video game software."