• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
Three things I really hope we see tonight:
  • Wardlow / MJF fallout.
  • Regal on the mic. Let's get this dream faction sstarted!
  • Swerve in action. Can't wait for him to impress.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's not a complete myth. HBK's role has probably been exaggerated (as Rudy Boy Gonzales was more instrumental from most accounts) but he did have a hand in the early training. Regal stepped in a year later when Bryan was in MCW.

001_HBK-Academy_0004--fa0ce8135653c87fe3eb964cf5e4dd14.jpg
He went to his camp, but I thought the story was always that Michaels was a pretty bad coach that really didn't offer much to his students.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
He went to his camp, but I thought the story was always that Michaels was a pretty bad coach that really didn't offer much to his students.

Bryan had some things to say in his book:

"Shawn's passion for wrestling was apparent as well, and seeing it humanized him for me. Gradually, he turned from being a Superstar I was in awe of to a coach I respected (admittedly, with a little bit of awe).

"Shawn was so passionate that occasionally he would get in the ring and actually take the moves, even though he wasn't supposed to because of his back. One time we were learning back body drops, one of the higher bumps in wrestling, and none of us were taking them very well. We might have landed fine, but we weren't getting the height to make the move look spectacular."

I don't know if this is before Cody taught him to lie or after, though. (And possibly some sweetening by the editor.)

What? You're telling me a self absorbed POS isn't a good coach? I don't believe it.

TIL other main trainer Rudy Boy Gonzales got some pretty heavy accusations (domestic abuse & sexual assault) as well, I guess misery does love company. Anyway, probably not a great scene to be around, though a few talented wrestlers did get their start there.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the whole thing about why Bryan was so pushed early on in ROH was that seen as something of a golden egg laying goose from Shawn's school?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Good morning. William Regal > Shawn Michaels.

Danielson wrestled as American Dragon in Shawn's promotion. Had a lot of matches with and against Spanky/Kendrick.

In his book, Danielson mentions how Shawn would come in hung over and sit watching the training with sunglasses on, or sometimes falling asleep. There's one funny story about no one being able to get high enough for a back body drop, so Shawn finally goes and shows everybody how to take the move, get height, etc. His mom came in just at that moment and scolded him in front of everybody for taking bumps while he was recovering from an injury or something. That moment humanized Shawn for Bryan.

Danielson lists Regal as his greatest mentor.

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Man I was thinking of going to sleep extra early to catch up on ZZZs but this dynamite is looking too good to ignore

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
People giving credit to Shawn Michaels for Bryan Danielson are perhaps similar to people giving credit to Bryan Danielson for Jade Cargill. :-O

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Scorpio about to go 0-3 for TNT title challenges, on the eve of the anniversary of his last title shot against Allin. 😭

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Scorpio winning tonight would be shocking. But how much more can they make him look like a geek? Feels like he's in a dangerous position booking-wise right now. He's been winning, but it doesn't feel like he's been winning because we haven't seen almost any of the journey on TV.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've always wanted to see Scorpio with a TNT title run. It seems like AEW might be holding that title change until Wardlow has his title match.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Speaking of books, I read William Regal's back when it came out a million years ago and the way he spoke about his addiction has always stuck with me. It was really powerful and raw.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Honestly, I think Scorpio Sky winning the title right now wouldn't be all that surprising.

- Commentary has started to tell the story of how Sammy is worn down after being a fighting champion.
- They've been building up the Scorpio Sky undefeated streak for a while.
- I mean, Wardlow is absolutely going to get fucked over by The Pinnacle in his title match, so Sky doesn't have to drop the title after a week to look like a geek.
- If they're really bringing in PVZ, putting gold on Sky would give a little bit of a rub to that faction.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think Scorpio Sky winning the title right now wouldn't be all that surprising.

- Commentary has started to tell the story of how Sammy is worn down after being a fighting champion.
- I mean, Wardlow is absolutely going to get fucked over by The Pinnacle in his title match, so Sky doesn't have to drop the title after a week to look like a geek.
- If they're really bringing in PVZ, putting gold on Sky would give a little bit of a rub to that faction.
I'm hoping Scorpio wins, but I'm pessimistic about his chances.

Scorpio can win tonight and drop it to Wardlow next week. 😇

pls no

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Wondering if they'll save Jeff for next week as it would make more sense in the story that way or will Tony just get carried away and splurge.

AHFO beats Matt up tonight, Matt gets on a mic or a backstage thing afterwards and says next week I'll bring back up.

I'm just remembering back to the TNT execs being upset at the Sting surprise and figure Jeff is a big enough name that they'd at least want some in your face foreshadowing.

Personally I'd save Jeff until next week, let the hype build to try and pop a rating.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Put the belt on Scorpio. As with all the TNT champs, they go on these crazy strings of really hard matches and when they eventually lose, they don't look at all weak, so it won't hurt Sammy anymore than it hurt Darby or Miro to lose the belt. I want to see Scorpio have a run with that belt. I've wanted it for a year. Let's pull the trigger on it.

Pinnacle fucking over Wardlow and costing him the title match makes perfect logical sense, so you can get that feud out of the way before letting Wardlow have his TNT title run unless people want to see MJF and Spears going for the TNT title, which I don't think either remotely need.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Wondering if they'll save Jeff for next week as it would make more sense in the story that way or will Tony just get carried away and splurge.

AHFO beats Matt up tonight, Matt gets on a mic or a backstage thing afterwards and says next week I'll bring back up.

I'm just remembering back to the TNT execs being upset at the Sting surprise and figure Jeff is a big enough name that they'd at least want some in your face foreshadowing.

Personally I'd save Jeff until next week, let the hype build to try and pop a rating.

The only reason I wouldn't want Jeff being held off one more week has already been mentioned in this thread: It would be fighting for news space with Rosa vs. Britt in a cage. I figure they can have Jeff Hardy as the big news story coming out of today's show, and have Britt and Rosa be the focus next week.

...then there's what they do with Sw3rve, how they follow up with Keith Lee, etc.

I'll be watching either way.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I've always wanted to see Scorpio with a TNT title run. It seems like AEW might be holding that title change until Wardlow has his title match.
I think Scorpio winning is a slam dunk at this point. AEW isn't opposed to booking babyfaces vs babyfaces or heels vs heels but generally they prefer follow the classic formula of heel vs babyface, Scorpio is overdue for a push, and it would be better for Sammy to lose to Scorpio in a competitive match than for him to be crushed by Wardlow. On top of that, I think they'll keep the belt on Scorpio because between Wardlow getting in Shawn Spears face, MJF recently telling Wardlow that if he won the title he could keep it along with Wardlow completing his face turn at Revolution that pretty cinches that Wardlow will be losing his title match due to interference from The Pinnacle.

Also, as I said before, Scorpio has been overdue for a push as he's a great worker so he'll elevate that title more than Wardlow could right now. The TNT title is what the Intercontinental title once had the rep of being, the workers title and currently Wardlow is fun to watch but I wouldn't say he's an amazing worker yet.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Put the belt on Scorpio. As with all the TNT champs, they go on these crazy strings of really hard matches and when they eventually lose, they don't look at all weak, so it won't hurt Sammy anymore than it hurt Darby or Miro to lose the belt. I want to see Scorpio have a run with that belt. I've wanted it for a year. Let's pull the trigger on it.

Pinnacle fucking over Wardlow and costing him the title match makes perfect logical sense, so you can get that feud out of the way before letting Wardlow have his TNT title run unless people want to see MJF and Spears going for the TNT title, which I don't think either remotely need.

This would be quite acceptable booking. I want to see Scorpio get his run, and it would be easy enough to keep Wardlow's focus on the Pinnacle and MJF, which is the story everyone is really interested in anyway, and which doesn't require a title.

Also, Sammy having that badass ladder match, the tremendous triple threat, and that memorable trios match on the PPV has more than cemented this as a much better reign for him than the one he had initially.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Considering Sammy said in the road to video that his hand is broken, I wouldn't be surprised if they do give it to Sky.

I think there is a great chance that Sky wins the title today and then next week Wardlow gets screwed over by MJF/Pinnacle for his actions at revolution.

That would be the best thing to do too because Sammy gained some momentum back in his second reign and Sky desperately needs a big win, especially after his promo on that road to which I thought was pretty great and felt different to his usual ones.

mantis23

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see Scorpio win tonight but I'm not sure what has changed since the last 3 failed Scorpio pushes. TK has tried numerous times to get this guy over and its just crickets from the crowd every time. I suppose they have Dan Lambert in the picture now but Lambert has consistently failed to shift any of his heat over to Scorpio.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see Scorpio win tonight but I'm not sure what has changed since the last 3 failed Scorpio pushes. TK has tried numerous times to get this guy over and its just crickets from the crowd every time. I suppose they have Dan Lambert in the picture now but Lambert has consistently failed to shift any of his heat over to Scorpio.
Dan Lambert has failed to actually get heat. Just eye roll worthy annoying. Go away heat. Gets nothing he's associated with over. Just says some shit real dimwits think is "such gewd heat dewd!"

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I want Miro to be Hangman's next opponent. And….I probably want Miro to win.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Scorpio will win tonight. If they are making an investment on PVZ plus paying Lambert and pairing MOTY with him, they need some return on that investment and Scorpio makes sense to be champion (he's an OG, he's a black man and he just signed a 5 yr extension).

Besides, Sammy is over enough that he doesn't NEED the TNT championship.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
One of the WWE games had a promo where Brian Kendrick talking about how Shawn would just sit down and read magazines and not teach anything

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Having Wardlow face Scorpio for the TNT belt makes more sense than having him face Sammy. Regardless of what anyone here thinks of him, Sammy is over as a face. Wardlow is all but confirmed a massive face at this point. Having Wardlow destroy Sammy wouldn't make much sense with the direction they've been going with him. Regardless, Wardlow is getting screwed in that match.

In addition, I fully expect to see Sammy/Tay on screen together sooner than later and it makes sense to use what happens in the title match tonight as a catalyst to eventually get to Tay/PVZ.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
One of the WWE games had a promo where Brian Kendrick talking about how Shawn would just sit down and read magazines and not teach anything

Yeah, Danielson confirms this in his book, too. Basically says Shawn was messed up and tired most of the time. Was Michaels into drugs and pain meds until the late 90s? For some reason, I thought he had stopped earlier than that, but I guess not.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Okay, after reading the replies here and just watching Sky vs. Sonny on Dark last night, I'm now also convinced Sky is probably winning tonight. LOL He's the fresher man. He's got confidence for days. And he looked damn good against Sonny, too. Sammy's busted up and will be wrestling his 3rd match in under a week, the first two being wild ones with tons of hard-hitting spots.

I'm also calling Sammy/Tay vs. Page or Sky/VanZant down the road.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Scorpio will win tonight. If they are making an investment on PVZ plus paying Lambert and pairing MOTY with him, they need some return on that investment and Scorpio makes sense to be champion (he's an OG, he's a black man and he just signed a 5 yr extension).

Besides, Sammy is over enough that he doesn't NEED the TNT championship.
You expect him to also beat Wardlow? Unless he gets a 1 week reign which would be pretty shitty, but I fully expect Wardlow to win his title match if not just for the fact that if he doesn't then the winner of the revolution ladder match would be 0-2 and devalue that match a considerable amount.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
You expect him to also beat Wardlow? Unless he gets a 1 week reign which would be pretty shitty, but I fully expect Wardlow to win his title match if not just for the fact that if he doesn't then the winner of the revolution ladder match would be 0-2 and devalue that match a considerable amount.

You could get around it by making Wardlow lose his match due to MJF interference, making Wardlow face turn official and setting up a feud between MJF and Wardlow

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Danielson confirms this in his book, too. Basically says Shawn was messed up and tired most of the time. Was Michaels into drugs and pain meds until the late 90s? For some reason, I thought he had stopped earlier than that, but I guess not.

He messed up his back in the coffin match with Undertaker and subsequently retired for a few years. He eventually got back surgery and became religious and got mostly clean to be able to come back in 2002. I think he was already supposed to come back in 2001 but was kicked out because he showed up strung out.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I think Scorpio winning is a slam dunk at this point. AEW isn't opposed to booking babyfaces vs babyfaces or heels vs heels but generally they prefer follow the classic formula of heel vs babyface, Scorpio is overdue for a push, and it would be better for Sammy to lose to Scorpio in a competitive match than for him to be crushed by Wardlow. On top of that, I think they'll keep the belt on Scorpio because between Wardlow getting in Shawn Spears face, MJF recently telling Wardlow that if he won the title he could keep it along with Wardlow completing his face turn at Revolution that pretty cinches that Wardlow will be losing his title match due to interference from The Pinnacle.

Also, as I said before, Scorpio has been overdue for a push as he's a great worker so he'll elevate that title more than Wardlow could right now. The TNT title is what the Intercontinental title once had the rep of being, the workers title and currently Wardlow is fun to watch but I wouldn't say he's an amazing worker yet.
I didn't see it that way. I completely agree with you now.

Damn, I'm even more excited about tonight!

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
You could get around it by making Wardlow lose his match due to MJF interference, making Wardlow face turn official and setting up a feud between MJF and Wardlow
This.

And Wardlow won't get MJF right away, most likely MJF will send Spears and FTR to fight him before actually agreeing to a match.

Maybe we'll get Wardlow and Punk vs FTR. That would be all kinds of awesome.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Today's another day with few announced for Dynamite.

Will we get Jeff Hardy?
Will we get William Regal?

Tune in to find out!

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything concrete other than people's stories about that time, but my assumption has always been that the back injury fucked him up and the pain meds probably didn't help with his state of mind at all. He went "born-again" in 02, and came back shortly after clean as a whistle.

Will we get Jeff Hardy?

Tune in to find out!
Yes to both I presume. Regal will most certainly have the mic tonight, and Jeff is Matt's big apology to AHFO.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Matt Hardy solo. I'm not a huge fan of Jeff Hardy solo.
However when those Hardy's boys are combined.. god damn I'm a fan. I need one last Hardy's run in my life.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I typically keep stuff like this to myself, but Eddie Kingston's promo on the Road To this week was something I really needed to hear. I highly recommend watching it, and honestly if MJF ends up taking the belt off of Hangman, I think Kingston should finally win the big one off of him. He deserves it, he earned it, and having face champions making a positive impact with their platform should be normalized after Page.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Scorpio should get the win tonight. People say he lacks charisma, I disagree, BUT it's his delivery and presentation. It's there, he just needs to find that thing, that makes it stick. And if he wins and people say it's boring, it's not a departure from Sammy and his one note "believe in your dreams, kids" gimmick. Even Ricky was making fun of him on his vlog. The only thing Sammy has over Sky is the insane spots, but I think it's time. Lose the two belt thing, give it to a fresh person, let Scorpio discover his thing to get over. He's got all the tools

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Scorpio should get the win tonight. People say he lacks charisma, I disagree, BUT it's his delivery and presentation. It's there, he just needs to find that thing, that makes it stick. And if he wins and people say it's boring, it's not a departure from Sammy and his one note "believe in your dreams, kids" gimmick. Even Ricky was making fun of him on his vlog. The only thing Sammy has over Sky is the insane spots, but I think it's time. Lose the two belt thing, give it to a fresh person, let Scorpio discover his thing to get over. He's got all the tools
Never got the "Scorpio is a charisma vacuum" stuff I have seen around. He's not a great promo or anything, but he's charismatic in motion and has a really good presence that with a proper manager/partner in Ethan Page can seriously get over. The Lambert connection is what kills him for me. Just do not like the promos that guy does, even if he's a great talker, the subject matter just sucks every time.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This.

And Wardlow won't get MJF right away, most likely MJF will send Spears and FTR to fight him before actually agreeing to a match.

Maybe we'll get Wardlow and Punk vs FTR. That would be all kinds of awesome.
I see that being the first match of the Wardlow vs The Pinnacle feud. Wardlow gets jumped after the match tonight with Punk making the save setting up a match for next week. They could even drag things out a bit in that The Pinnacle costs Wardlow the match tonight and after the match Wardlow fuming stomps to the back, then MJF cuts a promo saying that Wardlow has been fired, the next couple weeks Wardlow does run ins on Pinnacle matches both entering and leaving from the crowd until he gets jumped by The Pinnacle with Shawn Spears nailing him with a chair, and then Punk makes the save (perhaps with Darby and Sting) then he hands Wardlow an AEW contract from TK setting up a tag match for the following week.

Basically, I want Wardlow to do the Black Hart Owen Hart gimmick where for a brief period after the Montreal Screw job Owen was this monster babyface renegade coming through the crowd to interfere in matches.

Will we get Jeff Hardy?

Tune in to find out!
I could see them waiting another week to debut Jeff Hardy. For one, the AHFO and Matt Hardy split hasn't occurred yet so it would maybe be a little convenient for Jeff Hardy to show up this week to save Matt from a AFO beatdown tonight? Also, having him debut tonight might be cutting it too close to his 90 day non-compete? I guess Jeff would know when its up. Still, I see Matt taking a beatdown this week and then Matt about to be on the receiving edge of another beatdown next week when Jeff makes the save. Who knows, maybe Jeff does come out tonight. They could do that I guess as long as he's clear.

As for William Regal, I think we absolutely get some Regal tonight. His appearance got one of the biggest reactions of the night so I think they'll be quick to follow up on that.

Dec 29, 2017

It also sets up the 2021 Face of the Revolution vs the 2022 Face of the Revolution.

I want Miro to be Hangman's next opponent. And….I probably want Miro to win.

Miro as champ can make for some fresh stories. Hangman at this point has beaten most of the top heels. All that is left is MJF and the new heel Jericho. A rematch with Omega can't happen as he is still hurt. Malakai and Andrade have not been built up as main event heels yet if they ever will.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sky can cut a hell of a promo when it's time.

I want him to win. Sammy's been killing himself every week, let the kid rest for a bit.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
At least one of the few announced matches is a women's match and they've been putting a decent amount of effort into hyping it. Makes a nice change.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
As far as we know Wardlow is still contracted to MJF, so it makes more sense to me to have Wardlow win the title and then have MJF and the Pinnacle beat the shit out of him and take it from him immediately afterwards after he chooses not to relinquish it. MJF fires him and Wardlow takes a week or two off with MJF thinking Wardlow is now out of his life.

MJF is always trying to take the easy road to victory, so that should apply to his first actual championship win too.

Wardlow then returns now ALL ELITE and runs through the Pinnacle on his way to MJF.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Sky can cut a hell of a promo when it's time.

I want him to win. Sammy's been killing himself every week, let the kid rest for a bit.

They put all his best promos on Dark its really annoying

This was pretaped and they decided to put it on Dark despite it being great and coulda saved a pretty lame feud