• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
An HBO MAX deal only works if it the relationship is a two-way street. Having past and future AEW content available on there would be nice, but not if it's buried three levels deep in some random submenu (the way they used to treat sports content-it used to be a complete afterthought).

Say what you want about WWE and Peacock, but NBC just spent the last month putting Wrestlemania on the same level as the Super Bowl and the Olympics in their promos. I hope that if a deal with MAX is coming, that AEW gets that same treatment.
I figure AEW would have one of those dedicated subsections like Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have. In addition to being mixed in with the landing page general population of recommendations.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped for the announcement. Hoping it's HBO but I'd love for an official forbidden door PPV pitting NJPW, Impact, roh and AEW talent against each other. Give me Danielson vs Okada dammit

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
An HBO MAX deal only works if it the relationship is a two-way street. Having past and future AEW content available on there would be nice, but not if it's buried three levels deep in some random submenu (the way they used to treat sports content-it used to be a complete afterthought).

Say what you want about WWE and Peacock, but NBC just spent the last month putting Wrestlemania on the same level as the Super Bowl and the Olympics in their promos. I hope that if a deal with MAX is coming, that AEW gets that same treatment.
With WWE and Peacock, it's because WWE doesn't do PPVs anymore, they do all of them on Peacock. I can't IMAGINE that is what is happening with AEW and HBO- if it was, you would NOT be announcing this literally 4 days before you are trying to sell people a PPV, you would do it next week on Dynamite. And right now seems like an awful time to kill PPV- you just had DAZN this week, after spending 5 years marketing about the death of PPV, announce that they will be doing their first PPV for the next Canelo Alvarez Fight.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Revolution fantasy booking
P.S. Screw it. I say you start the show with Hangman vs. Cole. Kick things off with "You know it's all about the BOOM" and cowboy shit. Main event with Britt and Rosa.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this has got to be a streaming deal. If TK coming out himself to say it it's way bigger than a NJPW super card.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Being Canadian I've never had HBO, but didn't boxing used to have a major presence? AEW would make a lot of sense for them and offer something very different from their current fare, just hope they have something for us canucks if this is the announcement.

I'm in Canada too. Do we even have access to HBO Max? I'm satisfied with my VPN+FITE combo tbh. I'm just excited by the prospect of AEW growing more in the US and packing more arenas so I never have to follow WWE again.

plagiarize Really sorry to hear about the home situation right now. I hope everything gets back to normal for you ASAP.

Btw, Tony Khan knows how to panic promote.

-Cody and Brandi leave AEW, shocking the wrestling world.
-Dynamite has one below-average viewership number.
-Tony's on the phone with Warner about getting AEW onto HBO Max, and is also on the phone with another international pro wrestling company about getting their library.
-"HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT COMING. WATCH DYNAMITE. WATCH RAMPAGE. REVOLUTION IS THIS WEEKEND. NEW STORIES COMING. GREAT NEWS FOR FANS AND WRESTLERS AHEAD!"

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

HBO Max just bought the rights to US Soccer Federation and rumors are NHL and NBA may be headed there as well. I think Warner is taking streaming live events *very* seriously.

So, the only things that make sense to me are:

HBO Max deal:

TK bought ROH/AAA/NOAH/NJPW World access rights.

I mean - I don;t know if anyone outside of some marks really cares about the latter 4.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So Tony is saying that an HBO Max deal would be great for fans and wrestlers?

And that tonight's announcement will be great for fans and wrestlers?

UH.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think Hangman/Boom being last means one thing: Something big happens at the end of the match or during the match.

This could be Kenny returning. It could be a full bullet club invasion angle with switchblade.

But there is no way a match with this little heat is main eventing without leading to something else.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bring in cesaro and gargano at revolution...why? Because fucking sign everyone and I want to pop off.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
Everyone in my house covid but me.

Everyone.

First positive was over a week ago. Two more on Friday. My wife this morning. I've had five negative tests in the last week, including this morning.

I still feel 100%. I'm fully vaxxed. Masking (like, SLEPT with an N95 mask on last night masking). Being really conscious of what I touch, etc etc. It may just be a matter of time now... but unless I take a very rapid turn for the worse tomorrow I should have seen everyone else through the worst of it.

Which is all to say, I may not be watching Dynamite live tonight, despite really wanting to. I really wanted to watch Dark last night, but with all the cooking and cleaning, and looking after the cats and everyone, etc, well, I didn't stop from getting home to going to bed. Tonight is looking like a similar tale. Have to get to the grocery, get some mail to an immunocompromised friend who has packages delivered to our address, to the pharmacy for more tests, to the grocery store, then cook, and clean up after dinner, then I have to sanitize the upstairs bathroom cause it's the only room left in the house that I feel safe sleeping in at this point etc. I don't think I'll be getting that all done before 8pm.

So think of your old pal plagiarize, as you kick back and enjoy some graps and whatever the big announcement ends up being.

Sending you and your family all my thoughts friend. Wishing for a speedy recovery for your family and for you to get some much needed rest when it's all done.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming that Hangman retains and a feud between the Elite vs UE should start pretty soon. I also expect (hope? 😀) Miro to be Hangman's next opponent.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
plagiarize Really sorry to hear about the home situation right now. I hope everything gets back to normal for you ASAP.
Honestly, one of the most exhausting things has been seeing any potential date for not being in covid defense mode get pushed further back with each positive result. As each new person has tested positive, '10 days after last close contact with person with Covid-19' gets kicked further down the road. Right now, if I don't get Covid I can safely demask after March 16th. It seems like a lifetime away.

Things will start getting easier on Friday though, no matter what, since it'll just be my wife and I in the home at that point. We're going to be watching Revolution, put it that way!

opus

Oct 25, 2017
With WWE and Peacock, it's because WWE doesn't do PPVs anymore, they do all of them on Peacock. I can't IMAGINE that is what is happening with AEW and HBO- if it was, you would NOT be announcing this literally 4 days before you are trying to sell people a PPV, you would do it next week on Dynamite. And right now seems like an awful time to kill PPV- you just had DAZN this week, after spending 5 years marketing about the death of PPV, announce that they will be doing their first PPV for the next Canelo Alvarez Fight.

No, I totally get that, and I wasn't suggesting otherwise-I'm of the opinion that even if a MAX deal happens, it won't include PPV, at least initially. My point was that NBC has invested in the WWE at least as much to put it on the level of traditionally two of the most watched sporting events in America. From a brand perception, that's huge. The AEW equivalent would be a WarnerMedia/HBO MAX promo that includes NBA on TNT, March Madness, and Dynamite as key pillars of their sports content. I hope that happens.

HBO Max just bought the rights to US Soccer Federation and rumors are NHL and NBA may be headed there as well. I think Warner is taking streaming live events *very* seriously.

Yeah, I said as much last week when I mentioned getting a call from an old colleague about leading a new live events team at MAX. They are definitely building out a team and investing in the space. I just left the live events team at Prime Video, and MAX has definitely been on their radar as a competitor for media rights in the future. I know in the case of PV, they're going to be going hard at media rights very soon, and I would expect MAX to be no different.

Also, speaking of March Madness, I am presuming Dynamite and Rampage are getting shuffled around for the next few weeks once that starts. Have we heard anything about that?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

The only way it's PPVs on HBO Max is if the money is so huge it's like 10x more than they'd make even with a huge amount of traditional ppv buys.

In other words, what WWE has managed. Guaranteed money that takes advantage of a market that is hungry for any and all live content, and is willing to SUPER overpay to get it.

Oct 27, 2017

So, the only things that make sense to me are:

HBO Max deal:

TK bought ROH/AAA/NOAH/NJPW World access rights.

I mean - I don;t know if anyone outside of some marks really cares about the latter 4.
Do you have a link to the nba rumor for HBO?

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
TK talked about working on the next tv contract. There's no way they're going onto HBO without a deal in line with Turner. But he could also be lying.

plagiarize Hang in there. Hope everyone recovers quickly!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
TK talked about working on the next tv contract. There's no way they're going onto HBO without a deal in line with Turner. But he could also be lying.

plagiarize Hang in there. Hope everyone recovers quickly!

You never know, WWE put USA and Fox against eachother and was able to profit hugely as a result of the bidding war.

If Turner is extending the Dynamite TV deal years before it's up, it would have to be for HUGE money. Basically buying yourself out of the bidding war that would go down for one of the most popular shows on television.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link to the nba rumor for HBO?

NBA Digital (which includes NBA.com, League Pass, and NBA TV) is jointly managed by the NBA and Turner Sports and built by the Turner Sports tech team. Same with the March Madness app. So it's already (kinda) in-house, even though it's in a completely separate org from HBO MAX.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
All upcoming PPVs and the past AEW library (Dynamite, Rampage, Dark, PPV) on HBO Max would def get me to subscribe again.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The Zarian tweet said it was the tape library of an international wrestling promotion. Would Tony place ROH under that banner, or would he simply call that a North American promotion? Something cool from Japan, Mexico, or Europe would also be acceptable. They would probably want it to feel like it has value for a streaming service, though, and if their goal is to gain more AEW viewers, ROH would make the most sense with all of the footage of Punk, Bryan, and potentially Joe and Claudio.

Today feels like Christmas.
200.gif

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
AEW Presents "Dynamite/Rampage"

Wed • Mar 09 • 7:00 PM

Hertz Arena, Estero, FL

Available Tickets => 1,174

Current Setup/Capacity => 3,046

Tickets Distributed => 1,872

There is a "community offer" going on but you need a code for it. I believe it allows for $10 tickets. This is one of the more disappointing numbers coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.