• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
i 100% belive cody worked himself into a shoot. it was all about creative influence and being fulfilled with your work until it wasn't. "Well if you're not going to give me exactly what I want then I'm going to ignore everything else that's important to me about AEW and focus solely on money."
my guy just said cody is a mark!!

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i 100% belive cody worked himself into a shoot. it was all about creative influence and being fulfilled with your work until it wasn't. "Well if you're not going to give me exactly what I want then I'm going to ignore everything else that's important to me about AEW and focus solely on money."
Yeah I think TK called his bluff. Cody probably thought he'd be able to get more money or power and stay in AEW along with his wife having a job. Brandi being put in a program with PVZ was probably part of the negotiations too.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is he really did get a huge offer from WWE and Tony quite reasonably didn't want to match it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Cody on that promo also said he wasn't going to compete against a development again and he's was aiming for something bigger or something.

Maybe he's going into NXT 2.0 to compete against Dynamite lol

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I'd think the aew travel schedule is much better for Cody than what the e wants.

Maybe Rhodes to the top will continue with wwe. I mean the miz and rhe mrs. And divas got pretty big

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AJ Styles re-signed with WWE, which isn't really a surprise, but there were rumors he wanted to leave after the Good Brothers were fired. Apparently another big money deal.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think TK called his bluff. Cody probably thought he'd be able to get more money or power and stay in AEW along with his wife having a job. Brandi being put in a program with PVZ was probably part of the negotiations too.
More creative control genuinely seemed like what Cody was striving for though based on what TK has said and what Meltzer has heard it seems like Cody still had a lot of creative control over his own storylines and apparently TK viewed a lot of those storylines as disasters in the same way many of us did. The wheels came off of pretty much all Cody stories after his feud with Brody Lee. He still had some good or great matches after then but all of his feuds were disasters. Even thinking about the Shaq angle, that match was alarmingly great and gave us the debut of Jade but everything leading up to it was the drizzling shits.

I think Brandi got some undue shit but she definitely did not deserve the amount of ring time she got. I realize she wants to be a wrestler but she is not a good wrestler. She wasn't at the start of AEW and she hasn't gotten any better in the time since. Also, I'm little miffed by my girl Kilynn having to put over Brandi in Kilynn's hometown, MY hometown of Cleveland. I already thought it sucked at the time but they were at least building Brandi for a big storyline. Now it just feels like Kilynn got done dirty and it increasingly has felt for some time now like AEW is never going to sign her.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
AJ Styles re-signed with WWE, which isn't really a surprise, but there were rumors he wanted to leave after the Good Brothers were fired. Apparently another big money deal.
Only reason he would leave at this point is if he thought he could make more money on outside of wrestling content

Which for AJ is a big no.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm little miffed by my girl Kilynn having to put over Brandi in Kilynn's hometown, MY hometown of Cleveland
This also had me scratching my head. Unlike WWE, that likes to see their face talent lose in their hometown; AEW is the opposite of that, and I was sure Kilynn was to win. What other purpose was to put Brandi over?

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
More creative control genuinely seemed like what Cody was striving for though based on what TK has said and what Meltzer has heard it seems like Cody still had a lot of creative control over his own storylines and apparently TK viewed a lot of those storylines as disasters in the same way many of us did. The wheels came off of pretty much all Cody stories after his feud with Brody Lee. He still had some good or great matches after then but all of his feuds were disasters. Even thinking about the Shaq angle, that match was alarmingly great and gave us the debut of Jade but everything leading up to it was the drizzling shits.

I think Brandi got some undue shit but she definitely did not deserve the amount of ring time she got. I realize she wants to be a wrestler but she is not a good wrestler. She wasn't at the start of AEW and she hasn't gotten any better in the time since. Also, I'm little miffed by my girl Kilynn having to put over Brandi in Kilynn's hometown, MY hometown of Cleveland. I already thought it sucked at the time but they were at least building Brandi for a big storyline. Now it just feels like Kilynn got done dirty and it increasingly has felt for some time now like AEW is never going to sign her.
Yeah looking more like it's a great thing Cody is gone. His feuds have been dog shit as of late. The low point being his handpicked protege Ogogo. Then yeah I get the feeling Brandi wants to be put over as a star and Cody was her way to do it even though she's shown absolutely nothing to be deserving of any push.

Dec 29, 2017
I think Cody tried to use the heel turn as a bargaining chip. That's why he didn't turn in AEW. He's saving it for the WWE run or use it as a way to get more from AEW.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
More to that: Brandi 'mows' people on Dark so that she can to promos on Rampage/Dynamite. Even if Brandi would have lasted towards a build with Paige Van Zant, I don't think the actual match would have been good.
Absolutely not. The PVZ match would have been a trainwreck and I find the decision to pair her with Brandi for her first match kinda baffling.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

I don't think AJ has any interest in working NJPW style matches ever again - so the paycheck makes sense.

I also think after Punk and Danielson especially that the WWE is going to give anyone that it considers a top star a truckload of money.

Ironically WWE may be playing the WCW role in this "war" where they wind up overpaying for talent well past their prime to either steal names or keep their big names away from the competition.

They are cash-flush so they are on better legs than WCW was to do it but I still dont understand throwing money at a bunch of dudes in their 40s (or near 40) while dropping the contracts of a bunch of 20 and 30 year olds with massive upside.

I mean, there is a world in which AEW becomes a conveyor belt to becoming a star and then getting paid a shitload at WWE. I mean I have to imagine MJF and Darby are going to have money trucks backed up to their houses some day as well.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
On another issue:

I think Brandi gets a lot of undo shit because of sexism and racism - but she also gets some very deserved heat for not being good, not being good on the mic and becoming anti-rub to anyone she comes into contact with.

The only fun Brandi storyline in the entire history of AEW was her and Allie with QT.

Everything else has been nuclear go-away heat from most fans. I mean, the nightmare collective was so bad that the early Dark Order got a pass from most people.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
On another issue:

I think Brandi gets a lot of undo shit because of sexism and racism - but she also gets some very deserved heat for not being good, not being good on the mic and becoming anti-rub to anyone she comes into contact with.

The only fun Brandi storyline in the entire history of AEW was her and Allie with QT.

Everything else has been nuclear go-away heat from most fans. I mean, the nightmare collective was so bad that the early Dark Order got a pass from most people.
Yeah I feel the same. I hate the general undeserved shit she's gonna get just because she's a woman and a POC in wrestling. But at the same time, I've almost never enjoyed anything she's done. Her current gimmick is basically just calling other women bitch.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think AJ has any interest in working NJPW style matches ever again - so the paycheck makes sense.

I also think after Punk and Danielson especially that the WWE is going to give anyone that it considers a top star a truckload of money.

Ironically WWE may be playing the WCW role in this "war" where they wind up overpaying for talent well past their prime to either steal names or keep their big names away from the competition.

They are cash-flush so they are on better legs than WCW was to do it but I still dont understand throwing money at a bunch of dudes in their 40s (or near 40) while dropping the contracts of a bunch of 20 and 30 year olds with massive upside.

I mean, there is a world in which AEW becomes a conveyor belt to becoming a star and then getting paid a shitload at WWE. I mean I have to imagine MJF and Darby are going to have money trucks backed up to their houses some day as well.

WWE also isn't doing guaranteed contracts with creative control like WCW used to do. They can fire most of these guys at any time even after offering a ton of money so there isn't really a downside for them. The amount they are paying these guys really is what they deserve to be paid though, especially if you are looking at them vs other sports.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
my guy just said cody is a mark!!
for himself he 1000% is, no one could deny that
I'm little miffed by my girl Kilynn having to put over Brandi in Kilynn's hometown, MY hometown of Cleveland. I already thought it sucked at the time but they were at least building Brandi for a big storyline. Now it just feels like Kilynn got done dirty and it increasingly has felt for some time now like AEW is never going to sign her.
It's absolutely baffling. After Fuego, Kilynn was easily the most over "extra" from that period and if felt like they just dumped her like garbage.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
WWE also isn't doing guaranteed contracts with creative control like WCW used to do. They can fire most of these guys at any time even after offering a ton of money so there isn't really a downside for them. The amount they are paying these guys really is what they deserve to be paid though, especially if you are looking at them vs other sports.

Oh, 100% - but its sort of clear that WWE has gone through 2 phases:

Early AEW (lost Jericho) - sign everyone to long term big money non-guaranteed deals to kill AEW at the start.

This fails -> Release people from these mega contracts.

AEW is becoming actual competition to Raw -> Sign everyone you can to big money deals to kill this momentum.

This will either fail or succeed and all of these large new contracts will be cut either way.

I would feel different if WWE actually was paying people their worth with guaranteed $$$ for long-term contracts but I don't think any of expect WWE to not fire folks and restructure deals.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
On another issue:

Brandi is actually really good on the mic. A lot better than a lot of wrestlers. The content in her promos are just garbage. She'd make a good manager but she needs direction. Ironically I think someone like her would do pretty good in the WWE system.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Brandi is actually really good on the mic. A lot better than a lot of wrestlers. The content in her promos are just garbage. She'd make a good manager but she needs direction. Ironically I think someone like her would do pretty good in the WWE system.
+1. Brandi's good on the mic, it's the script that doesn't work.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm little miffed by my girl Kilynn having to put over Brandi in Kilynn's hometown, MY hometown of Cleveland. I already thought it sucked at the time but they were at least building Brandi for a big storyline. Now it just feels like Kilynn got done dirty and it increasingly has felt for some time now like AEW is never going to sign her.
Well sadly her chances probably got worse with them leaving, Cody is the one that pushed hard for Kilynn (along with Baron Black and Fuego) to get any kind of contract before AEW went back on the road

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
AJ has transitioned into the Nakamura active retirement phase. He's still more than capable of having a great match if he wants to, but he is also fine being the workhorse of a nothing tag team for a year that is only designed to get his giant partner who cant wreatle over.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad others are jumping aboard the "fuck HBK" train. I've been here for 30 years.

Nov 5, 2017
Alex's decision has to be related to QVC. He said an announcement would come later tonight but he's on QVC later on so it could be that would be his last show. I can't see him leaving AEW. If you listened to his appearance on Unrestricted, he absolutely loves being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.