• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't think you're actually here in good faith but it's simple.

Most of the folks here quit watching wwe years ago through a combination of bad product and the McMahons being horrible humans who have covered up rapes, murders, took Saudi blood money and were closely aligned with shitty conservatism all the way to funding the 'stop the steal' rally.

The majority of early AEW fans were either watching NJPW and came to appreciate Kenny and the bucks or fell off wrestling completely.

Cody for 3 years has talked about being better than all that. Wanting to make a better product and be better and uaher in a new era. Talked about how Sting was misused. His fathers legacy tarnished. How he and his brother were cast aside and couldn't wrestle a tribute match to dusty. It's why he smashed the throne. He was speaking directly to a lot of us who shared the exact frustrations he was giving voice to.

Now he's on a plane to Saudi Arabia to take money from people we all mostly consider to be vile but who Cody himself said the same about.

That either means Cody's anti-wwe stance was purely performative or unprincipled which isn't going to buy him a lot of benefit of the doubt around here.

That's not to say Kahn is good and we can get I to an entire argument about ethical consumption in capitalism but you aren't going to find many folks on Era that are going to be sympathetic to WWE or someone seemingly casting aside espoused values for money or power (or both).

He can go get paid. It's fine. But I'm not going to defend the move.
Thanks for the history lesson I was there though.

How about leaving because you were blatantly lied to. You simply have a better view of Khan (and possibly the Bucks and Kenny) and his role in why this happened than I do. You don't have to defend him but I'm not gonna shit on him when I feel he got legitimately slighted and potentially eventually more people I enjoyed from the first 2 years of Dynamite will get slighted because Khan wants a hiring spree and just signs people then they go missing for months

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the history lesson I was there though.

How about leaving because you were blatantly lied to. You simply have a better view of Khan (and possibly the Bucks and Kenny) and his role in why this happened than I do. You don't have to defend him but I'm not gonna shit on him when I feel he got legitimately slighted and potentially eventually more people I enjoyed from the first 2 years of Dynamite will get slighted because Khan wants a hiring spree and just signs people then they go missing for months

I was slighted so I went to Saudi Arabia and took money from a man I claimed to hate.

Cool story.

If Cody wanted booking authority there are other places to go that don't directly contradict your espoused values for the last 5 years

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
GlossyLimpingHackee-size_restricted.gif

Oct 8, 2019

Cody: Tony Khan promised me that AEW was going to be a mixture of Mid South Wrestling, Stardom, New Japan, All Japan, TJPW, DDT, PWG, and Lucha Underground, and it wasnt

Stone Cold Steve Austin: So your telling me the future of wrestling you envision is a brutal and bloody Dog Collar match thats ends with someone shoving an invisible hand grenade up someone's ass, exploding killing them, only for that person to be then resurrected by Calypso of the Deep?

Cody: That's correct Stone Cold

Steven Austin: Sounds incredible to bad Tony Khan didn't share your vision.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the EVPs/Main Event/Upper Card talent still have some say in the direction of their characters and promos, spots, etc.? Despite TK having the final say, the higher-ups could make suggestions or requests and usually get the story in a direction that fit them?

The impression I got was that, yes, TK signed off on everything that showed on TV, but he puts faith in the wrestlers to steer their trajectory well. After the atrocious showing at the end of the MJF feud with the overbooked mess and tattoo reveal, along with the horrendous "Racism is over, I had a child with a black woman!" promo, that TK didn't tighten the leash even further. In a way I wish he did, maybe the Malakai feud wouldn't have ended in a wet fart and dragged PAC and Andrade into it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Malakai losing at all to Cody fucked his aura.

Now Malakai is doing some lame tag team/stable shit but his while purpose with Cody was to transform him or make him lose confidence, but Cody got his win on Malakai and then the feud just kind of fizzled. I dont think Malakai came out looking as dominant as he deserved.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Malakai losing at all to Cody fucked his aura.

Now Malakai is doing some lame tag team/stable shit but his while purpose with Cody was to transform him or make him lose confidence, but Cody got his win on Malakai and then the feud just kind of fizzled. I dont think Malakai came out looking as dominant as he deserved.
Malakai definitely should have never lost to Cody. It made no sense at all.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda laugh at the idea of a guy named Buddy is joining House of Black.

Malakai!
Brody!
Buddy!
Lol. I hear nothing but great things about Buddy, so I'm still very interested.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im excited for Buddy, I think its a nice cult-like name too.

I just feel like Black isn't really doing anything exciting. They gotta introduce the Trios title already. Doesnt make sense to me that Black just fucks around with midcarders and jobbers, but obviously the title scene is way too busy.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Malakai definitely should have never lost to Cody. It made no sense at all.
Yeah it did nothing for Cody besides make Malakai lose his heat. Then Andrade and Pac were dragged in for reasons. Now they're all just recovering. At least they survived the codyverse. If this week is any indication then AEW is better off without Cody and Brandi's shit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I saw a suggestion for the face of the revolution match that Miro should be a surprise entrance (if healthy) for a qualifying match and the thought of him joining Wardlow, Hobbs and Lee is so damn good!

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a suggestion for the face of the revolution match that Miro should be a surprise entrance (if healthy) for a qualifying match and the thought of him joining Wardlow, Hobbs and Lee is so damn good!

Literally everyone wants Miro in that match.

I just hope whoever wins it ends up getting the TNT title. Gotta make that Face of the Revolution match mean something.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
They've got a lot of interesting options in the ladder match, and it's hard for me to pick who's going to win. Loving the unpredictability so far. Of the announced participants, Wardlow seems the most likely, with Keith Lee spinning off into a program with someone else who messes up his shot at winning during the actual match. Keith Lee vs. Hobbs would be awesome, as Hobbs could afford a loss just coming off his feud victory over Dante.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case some folk missed the news about Kenny amid all the various conversations regarding his interview -- Kenny is still significantly injured. He has not been able to get many of the procedures he needs, either due to backed-up schedules or COVID issues. Kenny specifically says that he still needs procedures done on his knees, his neck, and to fix his hernia.

At the start of this whole thing, these procedures were all described as "minor" as far as surgeries go. So when Kenny does get them done, he shouldn't be out super long. The worst, according to Kenny, is the hernia surgery, which Kenny says is the most important for him to get done. He says that that, once it's done, will take him another 6-8 weeks for full, back in the ring recovery. However, he doesn't clarify whether he's getting this soon or not.

Basically, Kenny is probably at least two months out. Likely a good amount longer.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think we will be lucky to have Kenny back by memorial day. That said, the roster is stacked so he can take all the time he needs to be healthy. He said he hopes to be back to performing at his top level.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't mind if Kenny takes the majority of this year off to heal. The man did arguably the most work of any major wrestler ever among multiple promotions, and never put on anything less than a 4 star match. Plus, if we're getting Nega-Kenny in Buddy Matthews, that will give them time to eventually setup that match while continuing to get others over.

And if we get an all-hoss ladder match at Revolution..... Whew. Hell, they could give me Wardlow vs Lee vs Hobbs in a triple threat and I'd be good with it.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
When he comes back we're totally gonna get face Kenny vs heel Bryan.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think there is a non zero chance that Kenny returns to NJPW and not AEW.

Not that he's done with AEW mind you

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kenny should take all the time he needs. I don't want him to come back early if he still has issues.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just in case some folk missed the news about Kenny amid all the various conversations regarding his interview -- Kenny is still significantly injured. He has not been able to get many of the procedures he needs, either due to backed-up schedules or COVID issues. Kenny specifically says that he still needs procedures done on his knees, his neck, and to fix his hernia.

At the start of this whole thing, these procedures were all described as "minor" as far as surgeries go. So when Kenny does get them done, he shouldn't be out super long. The worst, according to Kenny, is the hernia surgery, which Kenny says is the most important for him to get done. He says that that, once it's done, will take him another 6-8 weeks for full, back in the ring recovery. However, he doesn't clarify whether he's getting this soon or not.

Basically, Kenny is probably at least two months out. Likely a good amount longer.
Did Kenny actually say he is going to have all of the surgeries he needs?

The clip posted on YouTube had him mention that he needs it but the way he worded it made it seem like he was closer than that. He said "the goal was a Feb return but that's looking like it won't happen now".

If he was still planning on on having them all surely it would be more obvious then that.

Also he seemed to talk more about focusing on building up his strength on the areas he has neglected because of how he adapted to his injuries and hadn't realised how much he had weakened in certain areas.

Either way, I hope he gets everything he needs done and takes his time to get healthy.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA

The clip posted on YouTube had him mention that he needs it but the way he worded it made it seem like he was closer than that. He said "the goal was a Feb return but that's looking like it won't happen now".

If he was still planning on on having them all surely it would be more obvious then that.

Also he seemed to talk more about focusing on building up his strength on the areas he has neglected because of how he adapted to his injuries and hadn't realised how much he had weakened in certain areas.

Either way, I hope he gets everything he needs done and takes his time to get healthy.
He mentions he definitely wants to get the hernia repair done right away, but was vague in regards to the other procedures.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It's a bit of a complex topic, for sure. When Kenny first went out, Meltzer reported that Kenny was 100% going to get three surgeries -- on his left knee, for his hernia, and on his shoulder. He also said Kenny was considering surgery on his nose, because he was having breathing issues.

Jump to today, and Kenny says he still has procedures planned for his knees, neck, and hernia. Knees, as in both, neck, which hasn't been mentioned before outside of his vertigo, and again the hernia which we're alls surprised hasn't been addressed. Suffice to say, who the fuck knows what's going on.

All Kenny says with certainty is that he's getting hernia surgery. He heavily implies that he's going some "cutting edge stuff" beyond that, and specifically mentions building up his knees so they'll recover faster after getting whatever work he's getting done. But he also says he's currently walking like an old man, which might mean he's already had surgery. He doesn't mention what's up with his neck, other than having to get his C1 constantly adjusted to help with his vertigo. He doesn't talk about his shoulder, but he does say he doesn't need to be a strong wrestler going forward. He doesn't talk about his nose and breathing at all.

So, we don't know what surgeries he's already had done. We only know he's getting the hernia taken care of in the future. And all of it is muddied by Kenny's belief that pseudo-science stuff like chiropractic therapy, "stem cell treatment," upping, and other shit can provide long-term benefits.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh wow, I joked with my brother about Carlos going to AAA but lol There goes my hopes for Carlos and Hugo at AEW.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be watching GCW tonight.

Their last show, If I Die First, was waaaaay more consistent than the Hammerstein show, it's a really good time.

Wish I was there in person but I can't swing the 2 hour drive to Atlantic City every time they run Showboat and even though I really dig this card I couldn't make it work. Hopefully I can for the next one.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just listening to Kenny's interview on WOR and he said they are trying to plan to show more of the game around Revolution, but can't make any promises.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that Kenny originally wanted to come back around this time. That doesn't seem like enough time to heal up and rehab after surgeries. I thought he would be out until at least April at the earliest to maybe build something up for Double or Nothing.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The more time Kenny takes to get his body sorted the better. He doesn't need to rush into intense training after a bunch of surgeries. I don't expect him to return until after Double or Nothing in May.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Omega can take 2022 off. I love his matches as much as anyone, but does it feel like there's a gaping hole in AEW without him? Not to me. He clearly has a lot of injuries and physically issues, he should be able to dedicate as much time to tending that as possible.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
How hilarious is it that for as much as WWE wanted Omega, they had someone who modeled their wrestling style after Kenny and just let him go after a storyline where he falls in love with a 19 year old girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.