• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Wow, such a fun episode! From start to finish I really enjoyed literally every segment.

GREAT wrestling and some fun story telling/setting up things.

Also the crowd was awesome and seemed into everything and everyone with reactions/chants which just enhanced the whole viewing. Praise Sabrina!

Thumbs way up.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Good episode last night but nit entirely sure where they're going with the TNT title.

Andrade wants the title and he wants Darby… but Sammy has the title… interested to see where it goes.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
- Great Punk promo. MJF speechless lol.
- Bryan vs Moriarty was great. Loved Mox's promo. Limitless.
- Wardlow vs Caster was solid. Spears was a poor accountabilibuddy.
- Sensei Kreese! No Mercy!
- Good back and forth between the 2 Adams. Vance on a rampage. Donate blood.
- Jericho & Hager vs PnP was good. Kingston! Elite arguing over their children lol.
- Mercedes vs Rosa was great. Hayter's not turning yet.
- House of Black recruiting a new member? Breathe with the Switchblade.
- Darby vs Sammy (c) was my MOTN. These guys are so good it's hard to tell if they are legit injured or selling. Hoping for a triple threat with Andrade at Revolution.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cody had one bad promo you guys can pretend that his latest one wasn't well liked by the majority of people and stay in this echo chamber though

And in general didn't cut nearly as many promos as you guys like to pretend
While I personally liked it, his recent promo where he talked about various subjects seemed to be widely criticized by all the wrestling coverage channels on YouTube who thought it was rambling and aimless.

That seems to be the general consensus from what I have seen. Again, I liked the promo but it was in no way the majority from what I have seen.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
The 2 two things I'm most curious about coming from last night are the directions for the TNT title and Punk/MJF.

I'm hoping like most for a triple threat at revolution to crown Andrade while protecting Darby and Sammy, but considering this reign seems like an apology for Sammy's first run with the belt I'm not sure they'll take it off him yet. Plus Sammy's been in 2 bangers and finally got out of the IC, he's in the best place he's been in for a while.

Who wins the dog collar match?
If MJF wins I'm pretty sure he'll take the title from Hangman not too long after, but thinking about that I don't know how the Wardlow stuff would fit in there, it already feels like they need to pull the trigger on that sooner rather than later.
Punk could win but I'm not sure what he'd do after. Title shot, even a title win? Do people want to see Punk as champ? But he could probably convince me with a promo with whatever direction they take.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
One thing I love is how they've made the TNT Title feel prestigious and not just some throwaway midcard title…I feel like in a lot of ways, it has more buzz than the World Title.

It main events shows, it's the workhorse title, everyone wants it, etc.

So good.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Give me Shingo vs Wardlow!

the-new-day-wwe.gif

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
While I personally liked it, his recent promo where he talked about various subjects seemed to be widely criticized by all the wrestling coverage channels on YouTube who thought it was rambling and aimless.

That seems to be the general consensus from what I have seen. Again, I liked the promo but it was in no way the majority from what I have seen.
I don't watch that many outlets but I know Grapsody, SRS, and Alvarez liked it, And the comments under the video on youtube of the promo are overwhelmingly positive.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't watch that many outlets but I know Grapsody, SRS, and Alvarez liked it, And the comments under the video on youtube of the promo are overwhelmingly positive.
It definitely had a mixed reaction with many outlets and people not liking it.

I just think since the Ogogo promo he has had quite a few mixed reaction promos. I have personally liked most of them but there has been some divisive reactions since then.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Cody had one bad promo you guys can pretend that his latest one wasn't well liked by the majority of people and stay in this echo chamber though

And in general didn't cut nearly as many promos as you guys like to pretend

You clearly haven't been in a live crowd and heard the "Cody Sucks" chants in person, for whatever reason Cody has in fact alienated a large enough percentage of the audience to be getting go away heat. It is not an Era specific echo chamber, it's the die hard fandom.

He's been good-to-amazing in-ring, but his storyline has been stalled out in this "I won't turn heel even though it'd instantly make me super over" situation for 6-9 months now.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
What I want:

-Thunder Rosa to take the strap off Britt
-Andandre to start getting the push he really deserves, and getting that TNT Title.
-Miro to return. Miss you hoss.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
After sleeping on the episode:

- I'm so thankful that Danielson beated his career-ending injury. Dude is really the best wrestler in the world, and one of the best entertainments. Truly a living legend. I mean I was sure of this since they day I saw him getting a good match out of freaking Ryback nearly 9 years ago, but each time he's on a ring, he just reminds you of that.

- MJF is going to lose and I'm going to be pissed, but it's the way wrestling works

- Martinez and Rosa somehow managed to pull that match off. It was one of those matches where things just go wrong... but they still pulled it off. Just speaks volumes of their talent.

- Sammy vs Darbin was a show of what's been done correctly in AEW. Two home-grown talents spliting the audience. Looking forward to the potential triple threat match

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's Thursday. You know what that means. ❤️

Cody just had a better match with Sammy a few weeks ago.

Entire next thread about to be themed on shitting on him I hope he finds some love from the fans in WWE honestly and he won't have to kill himself in ring to do it

There's a lot to unpack with Cody. Was that match with Sammy awesome? Of course it was. But that's a theme with Cody's matches: the gimmick ones like ladders/cage/dog collar/street fight are great. But you can't have those types of matches often and the only good non-gimmick matches he's had that come to mind are vs Dustin, vs Brodie, (squash) and vs Malakai. (squash) Otherwise I don't think it's unreasonable to say that he's consistently outshined by the majority of the roster. (and far behind the batting averages of Kenny and the Bucks) But again, those gimmick matches were all something special and he deserves credit for how much he has sacrificed in them.

But I did state big changes were needed for his character. I wasn't necessarily talking about his ring work. It's more about what he could bring in terms on intrigue to any given segment last night. Insert him into anything on the card and I don't know how you could argue his presence would improve the segment. Thinking about it, Cody had three great feuds: Brodie, Jericho, and MJF. I feel like the first one was most intriguing because Brodie's star just kept climbing. Nobody knew how high his ceiling was. (it was really fucking high) The Jericho feud was mostly entertaining for Jericho's heel work. Cody did fine, but Jericho definitely felt like the bigger star. MJF was far and away Cody's shining moment in AE-Dub. He did an amazing thing putting over MJF as a top heel week after week. MJF did his job perfectly, but I would give Cody credit for putting in the bulk of the work. Unfortunately, the destination wasn't as good as the journey and I'd argue the blowoff underdelivered more than any other match in AE-Dub history. The match had Cody's fingerprints all over it (the "overbooking" he's often criticized for) and probably had a lot to do with the false "MJF can't wrestle" narrative that has followed him around.

But Cody did put over MJF. And he elevated Darby when he dropped the TNT belt to him. And he saved Sammy's TNT run with that ladder match. (I'd assume Cody had nothing to do with Sammy/the belt getting caught up in IC bullshit so extra credit to Cody for stepping up and righting the ship on that one) So Cody has done a good job of raising the stock of the potential future HW champions.

But he has also damaged the stock of ready-made stars of the present. Archer was an undefeated beast who tore through the TNT title tourney only to get geeked out so Cody could be the first champion. Malakai Black came in with a unique look, move set, aura, and looked every bit like someone you send straight to the main event. He squashed Cody as Brodie did before and it was awesome! But then he got stuck in the "Codyverse," (first time I've used that) lost the war, and he still hasn't recovered IMO. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Black and am super into everything he's doing, but he has yet to recapture that aura he had when he came in after losing to Cody. (also, making the feud all about Cody refusing to turn heel did Black no favors) Andrade came in and I don't think it's unfair to say he was underwhelming at first. Then he put in WORK (especially with PAC) and was ascending up the card. For whatever reason, he was sucked into the Codyverse, lost that momentum, and jobbed to Cody when a win could've done so much for him to move up the card. Fortunately talent is winning out for him and he seems to be having a great time with the Darby/Stang stuff so his momentum is still looking good at the moment, but had he won the war with Cody he would look like a much bigger deal right now. It's weird because others can lose to talents like Kenny/Bryan and still feel like they haven't lost any shine, but losing to Cody seems to grind everyone to a halt.

But circling back to having him beat Archer, Cody's TNT title run was a huge boon for the company. It brought in talent like Rickyyyyy(!) and Eddie. (one of the biggest fan favorites in the company right now) From what I understand, Cody deserves a ton of credit for the open challenge. Really good stuff that has had a long term positive impact on the company at large.

So his contributions in front of the camera have been a mixed bag. But as far as we've heard his contributions behind the scenes have been nothing but positive. Personally, I hated seeing that sign on Cody/Brandi's dressing room that said "positive attitudes only." That's toxic af. I can't speak for how everyone would interpret that but I hate it. But again, we haven't heard anything but nice things said about Cody from the locker room. And as bad as some things reported on like personal politics and ego have been, what I find more telling about who Cody is as a person is how he handled Brodie's situation. Nothing of what he has done for that family was put out there by Cody himself. It's all been others revealing how much he was there'd for the Huber family. And with their interactions after the cameras turned off at the Rochester show, it was evident that there's a ton of love there. That's all I need to know about Cody and — taking everything on and off screen into account — he's a net positive for AEW. So yes, I'd rather he stick around even if his absence makes for better television as everything stands right now.

*I fully acknowledge that I'm probably misremembering some things and don't pour over every article that comes out about everything that happens backstage.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You clearly haven't been in a live crowd and heard the "Cody Sucks" chants in person, for whatever reason Cody has in fact alienated a large enough percentage of the audience to be getting go away heat. It is not an Era specific echo chamber, it's the die hard fandom.

He's been good-to-amazing in-ring, but his storyline has been stalled out in this "I won't turn heel even though it'd instantly make me super over" situation for 6-9 months now.

My problem with Cody is that the guy is so talented, so good, that he should have been an actual top star and not a "believe me, I'm a top star". He should've had a top title run and protagonism. He didn't want it so he wasn't compared to Triple H I suspect, but the thing is: if you are that good, and you are that much of a hard worker, those comparisons shouldn't matter.

Cody in the end felt as someone fake, someone who wasn't truthful to how he's feeling, regardless of the talent he did show in matches.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
Top to bottom another fantastic Dynamite. We didn't get Swerve but I got everything else I wanted form last night's show.

Calling it now - the Bucks and ReDragon cost each other a win in each of the battle royals, then they face off at the PPV.

I love that Eddie's return (with a huge pop) but he was only there for moral support and let Santana & Ortiz win the right way... Pretty sure we'll see Eddie vs Jericho at Revolution, which would be fine, but hey we might also see PnP win one of those two battle royals?

The crowd were so hyped for the main event, amazing to see. So awesome to see AEW working right and creating legit young stars.

And the implications for Mox/Danielson have me just giddy with anticipation.

Also this:

It's great to see Pentagon & Fenix being on the right side of history. It makes me really happy to see them be positive forces in the wrestling world

...Fucking rules. Lucha Bros are forever my faves.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
The Jericho feud was mostly entertaining for Jericho's heel work. Cody did fine,
Cody's best promos happened early on and were some of the most memorable in the company. Those Jericho ones are still some of my favs. So I do want to say that to kinda paint that I'm not completely anti-Cody or something. I was one of the ones saying that AEW has out grown him and I don't think I'm being mean saying that. Guys stock has been downtrending since he dropped the TNT title. Not to mention his ego was going wild and people thought it was master heel work... I really wanted that to be the case cuz then maybe that would have made the weird tone his segments had make sense in retrospect... But that didn't happen.

You're right. There's a lot to unpack about Cody. And personally I think he just went in a direction that didn't fit with the things fans connect with in AEW.

Last edited:

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Cody's best promos happened early on were his best and some of the most memorable in the company. Those Jericho ones are still some of my favs. So I do want to say that to kinda paint that I'm not completely anti-Cody or something.

That's fair. For me, Jericho was on fire during his initial heel run. And admittedly, it was his involvement in AE-Dub that got me to check it out in the first place. (after hearing about him losing the belt at a steakhouse, lol)

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I really like where they're taking this Mox/Danielson storyline. It's not a predictable outcome, and I'm all for those two sharing a hug and teaming up after beating the holy fuck out of each other in what will likely be another 5* match.

And Cody cut fine promos. The problem I think is that his stuff was just so over-the-top and bombastic to the point that he needed to turn to heel or be a tweener to continue getting his stuff over.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
I really like where they're taking this Mox/Danielson storyline. It's not a predictable outcome, and I'm all for those two sharing a hug and teaming up after beating the holy fuck out of each other in what will likely be another 5* match.

And Cody cut fine promos. The problem I think is that his stuff was just so over-the-top and bombastic to the point that he needed to turn to heel or be a tweener to continue getting his stuff over.

Same here, it's fun. I just hope they don't add a "beat me and I'll join you" clause to the match. If Mox joins, it should be because he respects him as a wrestler/veteran. I feel like wrestling is at its best when you aren't really sure what the outcome is going to be. And those moments are rare lately.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Completely marked out for Kreese. Would love him being a recurring character that shows up randomly to give Britt advice.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Y'all really got me to start watching Cobra Kai, huh?

If you like the ridiculousness of pro wrestling, you will enjoy the ridiculousness of Cobra Kai. Amanda is the only level-headed person in the entire show, and the only one asking "What the hell is all this nonsense?" I guess what I'm saying is, Amanda is the casual fan walking by the television when you're watching pro wrestling.

Hope you enjoy the show. It has no right to be as good as it is.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking Triple Threat but Sammy is kind of aligned with Darby, no? They're both friends. It'd almost be a handicap match.
Andrade in theory has the AHFO to back him up and out number Mr. Stink

Really loved tonight's show. Lee Moriarty hanging with Danielson until the Dragon decided it was time to end things was my MOTN. Sammy and Darby killing themselves again will always entertain but it was nice to see a wrestling clinic as the opener.

Wardlow turn is going to be glorious and I'm so excited to see a ladder match full of beef. So far it's Wardlow and Keith Lee right? Dante Martin v Hobbs means either Dante's going to fly or Hobbs gets added to the meat pile. The idea of all the biggest dudes in AEW in a ladder match seems insane to me, who do they have left that would fit? The Bear Country guys aren't high enough on the card, maybe Vance (10 from dark order)?, Lance Archer?, Miro? Comoroto? Either way I'm excited to see it.

I lost it at the "Other Adam" bit and reDragon/Bucks talking about their kids. Really happy with how the IC Implosion played out. Mercedes/Rosa has to be one of those forever matchups like Shida/Deeb. They work so damn well together. Even when shit wasn't working out they improvised and kept the brutality of the match at the fore. Great great stuff. Really hope Rosa can take that title off Britt. New House of Black member has to be Buddy Matthews. Too many call backs for it not to be. I'll lose my mind if they give us a Kenny vs Buddy mirror match.

Really not a dull moment and one of the fastest two hours they've put together.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh I marked out for Melissa Joan Hart. Had a big crush on her when I was a kid. Seeing her being a wrestling fan and there in the audience made me smile

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This most recent AEW run has been truly special. Think about what we've seen in 2022 so far...

Hangman vs. Danielson II
Britt Baker vs. Riho @ Battle of the Belts
Building up Britt vs. Thunder Rosa
Jade vs. Anna Jay getting more people aboard the Jade train
Mox's return promo
Cody vs. Sammy ladder match
MJF vs. CM Punk in Chicago and subsequent MJF on a palanquin segment, and last night's incredible CM Punk segment
The continued rise of Wardlow
Andrade making people pop by thinking Darby works for Sting
Punk and Moxley vs. FTR
Santana and Ortiz probably breaking away from the Inner Circle
Mox vs. Wheeler Yuta followed by that incredible Danielson promo/invitation and last night's fantastic post-match exchange
Ricky Starks vs. Jay Lethal
Sting and Darby vs. The Acclaimed (and The Acclaimed in general)
Hangman vs. Lance Archer Texas Death Match
High quality tag title defenses from Jurassic Express
Lee Moriarty vs. Bryan Danielson
Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice
Debut of Danhausen
Debut of Keith Lee
Hook continuing to kill it and getting warmed up to make QT Marshall look like a geek
Sammy vs. Darby

I'm probably missing stuff here. The only thing that's been a bit disappointing to me this year (outside of too much Dan Lambert at times) has been the House of Black stuff. Those guys have a cool aesthetic, but they already feel a bit lost in the mix...I hope this stuff with Penta and PAC adds some heat to them. I'm also into the Deeb stuff, but I'm moreso just waiting for it to play out. And I'm not on board the Jay White train just yet.

Anyway, overall, I feel like we're getting totally spoiled right now. Just full-on FEASTING with some of this stuff.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This most recent AEW run has been truly special. Think about what we've seen in 2022 so far...

Hangman vs. Danielson II
Britt Baker vs. Riho @ Battle of the Belts
Building up Britt vs. Thunder Rosa
Jade vs. Anna Jay getting more people aboard the Jade train
Mox's return promo
Cody vs. Sammy ladder match
MJF vs. CM Punk in Chicago and subsequent MJF on a palanquin segment, and last night's incredible CM Punk segment
The continued rise of Wardlow
Andrade making people pop by thinking Darby works for Sting
Punk and Moxley vs. FTR
Santana and Ortiz probably breaking away from the Inner Circle
Mox vs. Wheeler Yuta followed by that incredible Danielson promo/invitation and last night's fantastic post-match exchange
Ricky Starks vs. Jay Lethal
Hangman vs. Lance Archer Texas Death Match
High quality tag title defenses from Jurassic Express
Lee Moriarty vs. Bryan Danielson
Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice
Debut of Danhausen
Debut of Keith Lee
Hook continuing to kill it and getting warmed up to make QT Marshall look like a geek
Sammy vs. Darby

I'm probably missing stuff here. The only thing that's been a bit disappointing to me this year (outside of too much Dan Lambert at times) has been the House of Black stuff. Those guys have a cool aesthetic, but they already feel a bit lost in the mix...I hope this stuff with Penta and PAC adds some heat to them. I'm also into the Deeb stuff, but I'm moreso just waiting for it to play out. And I'm not on board the Jay White train just yet.

Anyway, overall, I feel like we're getting totally spoiled right now. Just full-on FEASTING with some of this stuff.

Yup. It pretty much sums up why I'm really into this now. Started watching more regularly with Danielson/Punk debut, but wasn't as hooked then. Tuned in basically to watch Danielson. Before that I just couldn't get into AEW for all I tried, despite liking some stuff. But this past three months or so has just been phenomenal. Phenomenal booking, phenomenal matches, exciting surprises, and a rythm to every episode that just makes it impossible to be bored or feel like a waste of time.

It's just the best time to be a wrestling fan.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Yup. It pretty much sums up why I'm really into this now. Started watching more regularly with Danielson/Punk debut, but wasn't as hooked then. Tuned in basically to watch Danielson. Before that I just couldn't get into AEW for all I tried, despite liking some stuff. But this past three months or so has just been phenomenal. Phenomenal booking, phenomenal matches, exciting surprises, and a rythm to every episode that just makes it impossible to be bored or feel like a waste of time.

It's just the best time to be a wrestling fan.

And all of this without Kenny or Miro. The roster depth is truly incredible, and they're going to continue to stack it over the next couple of months. As long as the quality of the wrestling and the storytelling remains the same (and hopefully improves in some cases), I'm on board. Nevermind that I feel the women's division could use 2-3 more names to get fully fleshed out.

It feels like we're about to hit peak AEW and that we're living through a pretty special time. Those first two segments last night were just perfect pro wrestling TV, for instance. How often do you get that long of a stretch of wrestling programming that you're fully hyped for the entire time? (Punk/MJF, Danielson/Moriarty, Danielson/Moxley)

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
And all of this without Kenny or Miro. The roster depth is truly incredible, and they're going to continue to stack it over the next couple of months. As long as the quality of the wrestling and the storytelling remains the same (and hopefully improves in some cases), I'm on board. Nevermind that I feel the women's division could use 2-3 more names to get fully fleshed out.

That's the big blind spot of AEW still. A lot to grow there, I have the same hopes as you.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

I think banning himself from ever competing for the AEW world title did more damage than good. I get why they did it but it felt like he lacked direction ever since. He wasn't on TV all the time so his feuds felt super random and disconnected from the show.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
The way they gotta book that Mox/Danielson match is that all the Dragon Dojo potentials have to start trickling out and watching the match from ringside, cheering on the glorious violence.

Also as much as I love his dad marking out for him, we gotta find a way to get HOOK in this group.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It's so fucking good. I was legit marking out the whole way through both Danielson and Mox dropping their promos. That might by my favorite Moxley promo moment for his entire AEW run. Talking about the indie scene, then unraveling Bryan's potential motives, and looping it back to justify what Mox really wants -- violence. It's pure Mox. And the whole thing is just him and Bryan showing that they know exactly what the audience wants, both from the story and from their characters. It's all a huge tease but it's also moving the story forward in the direction everyone really fucking wants it to go. Unbelievably good.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
+ Punk/MJF promo
+ Danielson-Moriarty
+ Danielson-Mox promo
+ Wardlow-Caster
+ Follow up on Keith Lee's debut
+ PnP-Jericho & Hager
+ Eddie Kingston is back
+ Rosa-Mercedes
+ The post match
+ Sammy/Darby
+ Dynamite ends on Andrade

- Santana pins Jericho clean and immediately on to the next segment. Let big moments like this breathe. Save the "hey remember this guy/feud?" promos for social media.

- Cole and Hangman feels super forced, its not only too early for them to have a match but kicking off a program 3 weeks before the match happens is just not enough time to build and neither of these guys have the promo chops of Punk, Eddie and Mox and can make a match feel must see with only one segment together. Now Cole is taking on Dark Order members to stick it to Hangman. Lazy booking. Please break Hangman away from Dark Order then we don't have to keep redoing this story. Hangman didn't even have a good retort to Cole pointing out he doesn't hang out with Dark Order so why are we still doing it?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't sleep last night, so I was thinking about these matchups:

Jon Moxley vs. Dean Ambrose
Bryan Danielson vs. Daniel Bryan

It's so fucking insane on how next level Mox and American Dragon are in AEW. Their WWE counterparts doesn't hold a candle to what they have become in AEW.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn do I want face Mox and heel Bryan co-leading a faction together. So much potential to elevate young talent and you know it'll all lead to a hype ass civil war blowoff after it runs its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.