• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Even if that was true, it's probably not much of an issue in AEW since they tend to protect top guys and the losses make sense. So I doubt he would be disgruntled very often. The biggest issue is getting consistent TV time but he might even enjoy having some occasional time off.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Cody is showing up an Mania, winning the title, and then putting that shit in a trashcan LIVE ON PPV (or whatever WWE calls it)

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Listen to his last Dynamite review. Jump to around 1:29:30
www.blogtalkradio.com

WKPWP - 2/9 AEW Dynamite Post-show w/Keller & Hazelwood, callers, emails

Join PWTorch editor Wade Keller and guest cohost Bruce Hazelwood from PWTorch.com, as they discuss AEW Dynamite within five minutes of AEW Dynamite ending. They also often are joined by an on-site correspondent

Gotta listen for a few minutes. This is the origin of the discussions around Lee's weight as well.

1:34:10 has the discussion with Wade saying "he drove management nuts."

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I like Brandi. Not so much her in ring work, although it may have gotten better recently, I haven't seen her in the ring since AEW's early days. But I thought she was solid on the mic, she just needed more experience controlling crowds. She seemed self aware about her character and the way she was received too. That report seemed like bullshit when I first read it before anyone from AEW responded.

In other news, Miro better be on the show tonight or we riot.
Brandi is the definition of someone that needs their promos written for her. She's actually a really good promo. Much better than a lot of wrestlers but the content tends to be not very good.

Reading this in Steve Austin's voice is killing me

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more I hope Cody listens to WWE, gets an offer, and then does a 720 kickflip and walks right back to AEW, does a quick negotiation and signs whatever Tony offers.

Cody is what he is but I don't want to watch him flounder as part of that shithole like so many other wrestlers who deserve better. At AEW, at the very least, Cody is treated as a top-of-the-card talent. He may not be CM Punk or Danielson in terms of draw, but it's absolutely worth being the slightly-smaller big fish next to other big fish in a pond that's only going to grow bigger, rather than a fish with unknown value in a pond known to be shrinking.

I don't want that for Cody. I hope he figures that out, too.

problem is, they'll give him more money than god, promise him the world, actually GIVE him the world... for a month

then he'll be in the kevin owens spot. or sami zayn. or aj styles. the list goes on.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I would say zero, TK isn't gonna let anyone make jokes about it because it will make AEW look petty and give more attention to the situation then they probably want.

Creative tends to take a situation and make it an angle. There's no way that Dan Lambert doesn't grab a mic and say that everyone including TK should thank him and see him as a hero for calling out the rampant nepotism in AEW and ridding the company of Cody.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
I have never been a fan of the internet discourse around Brandi and it's inherent misogynist tone, but this stuff about her "disposition" is really bothering me

I would love to know who Keller's sources are

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
All of this goes to show you that sometimes your favorite company isn't the happy-go-lucky place you assume that it is. Don't stan for the companies, actually support the people you like instead. And don't take that as to mean I support Cody. I'm just saying there's always many sides to the story, just don't be blinded cuz it concerns your favorite company.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I'm moreso expecting MJF to tell Punk to "take your ball and go home like Cody Rhodes" at some point

"Wardlow, you look like a big dummy,
Just like Cody, when he asked for Punk money."
lol

I would say zero, TK isn't gonna let anyone make jokes about it because it will make AEW look petty and give more attention to the situation then they probably want.
I think it's at critical mass already. Would be lame if TK told him not to say anything about it imo.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listen to his last Dynamite review. Jump to around 1:29:30
www.blogtalkradio.com

WKPWP - 2/9 AEW Dynamite Post-show w/Keller & Hazelwood, callers, emails

Join PWTorch editor Wade Keller and guest cohost Bruce Hazelwood from PWTorch.com, as they discuss AEW Dynamite within five minutes of AEW Dynamite ending. They also often are joined by an on-site correspondent

Gotta listen for a few minutes. This is the origin of the discussions around Lee's weight as well.

1:34:10 has the discussion with Wade saying "he drove management nuts."
Wow Keller comes off pretty shitty here. Seems like he has a vendetta or is really falling for WWE sources who badmouth people who leave. He really comes off badly talking about Keith's weight as well, whereas Meltzer when talking about it came off as just being concerned about his health and long term effects from being heavier.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
What a wild 24 hours. Still can't quite wrap my mind around this not being a work (despite multiple sources saying it's legit). What's Cody's endgame? Retire in the E? Can't imagine he'd come back to aew after a stint there. I mean, if he thought the boos were bad before…

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
When cody booked himself, these kind of things happened in Dynamite:

Now, there is -100% chance those things happened in WWE, and honestly, i would not coming back to AEW anymore if fans, press, all people keeps disrespecting his wife over and over and over for no reason (if "being bad in the ring" is a valid reason for you, then you are wrong). I dont like any of that, Cody doesnt deserve that exit of AEW, and his contributions to the company only will be appreciated in the future when he will be very old or dead, but hey, that's how things work. In the end, it's just busisness.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
All of this goes to show you that sometimes your favorite company isn't the happy-go-lucky place you assume that it is. Don't stan for the companies, actually support the people you like instead. And don't take that as to mean I support Cody. I'm just saying there's always many sides to the story, just don't be blinded cuz it concerns your favorite company.
Pretty sure this was the discourse early on in the first AEW thread and the general consensus was "yeah, obvisouly?" lol

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
According to SI's "multiple sources" Brandi isn't expected to join Cody in WWE so the hope *cough* sorry the "concern" some people have that he'll be in a cucking angle in 6 months probably won't happen

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
3d434f46b6e13fc8617dab02ba33a0f2.png

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
According to SI's "multiple sources" Brandi isn't expected to join Cody in WWE so the hope *cough* sorry the "concern" some people have that he'll be in a cucking angle in 6 months probably won't happen

I would love both of them to join just for fucking Michael Cole to say "OH MY GOD, IT'S DASHING CODY RHODES AND EDEN STILES!"

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I really disliked that mjf/Cody feud and belt lashes thing. I found it cringeworthy how the star/EVP had to grovel for a match with mjf ( or a rematch?).

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I like to hope most people know this, but I've also seen wrestling Twitter so who knows. But at the same time I think not every conflict is as dramatic as wrestling media would like it to be. Sometimes people just don't get along, and that's ok.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
People sure don't understand how AEW's booking works huh? I don't think I know 100% either but this is how it seems to happen:

Tony has final say, correct. However the talent still put their match ideas, direction they want their character go and who they want to work with forth to Tony who assists them with putting together and scheduling a program around that. Cody not wanting to turn heel? Cody. Not wanting to go for the World title? Cody. Should TK have more confidence in telling him to cut somethings short or leave things alone to come back to them later? Yes, also true! However it's very fair to say Cody still messed up Cody's story telling here.

That is my understanding of how the booking in AEW works based on what we know from tidbits of info here and there, anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe the Cody stuff and hope it's a work. Will really lose respect for him if he goes back to WWE after all the work he did with AEW, indies, and advocating for change in wrestling. MJF, Wardlow, Jericho or Moxley would all be fine defecting to WWE but one of the AEW founders? Ugh. Sends a disgusting message that no one can stop Vince's check book, which like I KNOW IS TRUE but it still sucks to see.

I would love to hear (but wouldn't expect) Punk bash him for leaving in a promo

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As far as we know, Cody wanted more money than TK thought he was worth and so he left. There doesn't have to be *any* bad guys in that. It doesn't say anything about whether AEW is a good place to work from what I can see.

I'm a big Cody fan and I'm at least somewhat disappointed that he's likely going to WWE. I'm not turning on him, and I've never judged any of my favorites for going to WWE or choosing to stay there. But personally I wish they'd leave because I can't support the WWE's ethics or their product so it means I can't enjoy the work of their 'independent contractors' anymore.

But I get that people grew up dreaming about main-eventing Wrestlemania and not everyone who works at the WWE is unhappy or treated badly, so I can see some talent thinking things might work out for them in WWE. Sometimes things do work out that way!

I'll continue to be a fan of the talent I like, regardless of where they work, Cody included, but him thinking he's worth more than TK thinks he is... it's not a black mark against AEW. We've certainly had those. Certain hirings. The Swole tweet. I have and will call out shit when I don't like it.

No one should blindly support AEW. But I don't see how this is evidence that AEW isn't a happy-go-lucky place. Which, don't get me wrong, it might not be! I just don't get that from this.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow Keller comes off pretty shitty here. Seems like he has a vendetta or is really falling for WWE sources who badmouth people who leave. He really comes off badly talking about Keith's weight as well, whereas Meltzer when talking about it came off as just being concerned about his health and long term effects from being heavier.
Yeah when I saw a Wade Keller piece on reddit was gaining traction that was a red flag for me and as I got through the first 2 paragraphs I stopped reading. His stuff always read as some bs hit pieces with his "sources" always having some negative notion. I don't believe shit from his Cody and Brandi piece. And now wrestlers are starting to defend Brandi on twitter as well.

I'll just wait for more news to hit from better people.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Interesting, I never heard of these dudes, but Kevin Ku retweeted a tweet about beating up your local racist with a gif of NXT dudes beating up Gunner so I like him already
Garrini is the champ of my local indie (Timebomb Pro Wrestling in Fargo, ND). He & Ku are both wrestling there next week (Ku is wrestling Masha Slamovich which rules). I'll actually be home for this event but I'm not terribly comfortable going out because COVID, so that's a bummer.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I like to hope most people know this, but I've also seen wrestling Twitter so who knows. But at the same time I think not every conflict is as dramatic as wrestling media would like it to be. Sometimes people just don't get along, and that's ok.

Some folks on Twitter have used the word "betrayed" to describe Cody leaving AEW, so there are definitely some unhinged folks who are in deep and are basing at least part of their mental and emotional health on the decisions of a pro wrestling company and feeling like they have to blindly support them and like they're employed by the company or something.

Anyway, I think I'm similar to many in this thread when it comes to AEW: This company gives me hope and makes me feel relieved that big-time pro wrestling can still be for me. I've loved the vast majority of the journey up to now, and watching Dynamite during the pandemic did provide a weekly happy place, and the shows we've been getting lately have continued giving me that happy place (Rampage in particular.)

Getting a bit more open about it, I love so damn much of what AEW creates. From the Road To's, the Countdown specials, Taz and Excalibur's commentary on Dark, at least 80% of their PPVs, and honestly, almost every single Dynamite and Rampage they've ever done. As long as I keep feeling served as a fan, which means multiple banger matches a week and exciting story segments and interesting characters I can invest in, I'll keep coming back, I'll keep giving them my money, and I'll even tell my non-wrestling friends about them without the shame that often comes with talking about pro wrestling.

All that said, I think this community (and the AEW fandom as a whole, whatever that means) does a mostly-good job of keeping the company in check. Every fandom will have its unhinged fringe element, unfortunately, or mud-slingers who feel they need to defend the company at every turn due to the "war" with WWE.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garrini is the champ of my local indie (Timebomb Pro Wrestling in Fargo, ND). He & Ku are both wrestling there next week (Ku is wrestling Masha Slamovich which rules). I'll actually be home for this event but I'm not terribly comfortable going out because COVID, so that's a bummer.
Yeah, covid is a big concern going to any of these shows. Probably relatively safe if boosted and you wear an n95 the entire time, but I also haven't been to large events since covid started.

New inner circle members to replace Santana and Ortiz?
Hmm, don't see 2 unknowns getting elevated that hard when they first enter, but could see them joining Moriary or trying to help him? Moriarty has seemingly been going towards a heel turn lately from the clips I've seen of him on Dark. It's also possible they just came in to do a Dark match.

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
Yeah, covid is a big concern going to any of these shows. Probably relatively safe if boosted and you wear an n95 the entire time, but I also haven't been to large events since covid started.

Hmm, don't see 2 unknowns getting elevated that hard when they first enter, but could see them joining Moriary or trying to help him? Moriarty has seemingly been going towards a heel turn lately from the clips I've seen of him on Dark. It's also possible they just came in to do a Dark match.
I mean dark or elevation makes sense, but who knows. Butcher and blade coming in to help MJF was also out of nowhere.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People sure don't understand how AEW's booking works huh? I don't think I know 100% either but this is how it seems to happen:

Tony has final say, correct. However the talent still put their match ideas, direction they want their character go and who they want to work with forth to Tony who assists them with putting together and scheduling a program around that. Cody not wanting to turn heel? Cody. Not wanting to go for the World title? Cody. Should TK have more confidence in telling him to cut somethings short or leave things alone to come back to them later? Yes, also true! However it's very fair to say Cody still messed up Cody's story telling here.

That is my understanding of how the booking in AEW works based on what we know from tidbits of info here and there, anyway.
def how it works for the top guys. they're able to talk with tony about what they want, how they'd like to do it, and then tony decides how much time they get and how frequently they appear/have matches from there. but that process def breaks down below the upper card.

basically, the more time you're on tv, the more time you get to talk to tony about story, the more time tony will give you. once you stop regularly appearing, you stop getting to talk with tony, you get less opportunity for tv time, you get less control over creative.

everyone from the midcard down may have ideas about where they'd like to go, may get to write their stuff when they're actually booked, but they're entirely reliant on tony deciding first that he wants to do something with them and what direction they're going in. and when he does, whatever plans you may have wanted for yourself before may no longer work.

that's why we've got guys like andrade and malakai black, who have yet to break into the upper card, getting booked so sporadically. why their stories always bounce around and always seem to go off the rails. that's tony playing tetris with people, TV time, and stories. that's why matches for lower card folk often suck, feel thrown together or throwaway. it's just tony giving scraps to people when you need more ingredients to do something meaningful.

in the end it's a spectrum. upper card=creative feasts, lower card=creative scraps.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that TK chose not to exercise the option to renew Cody, he's got alot more money to play with for free agents. Had to be atleast 1.5 million he was paying to Cody and Brandi.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From the SI article that they sourced.
While Rhodes was never intended to overstay his welcome in the world title picture, one key factor that led to this exit was losing all responsibilities involving booking. That is a role where Khan, who is the head of creative, has taken full rein. Originally, Rhodes was part of that process. As great as Dusty Rhodes was as a performer, his contributions as a booker are an integral part of his legacy. For Rhodes, AEW represented another chance to pay homage to his father as a booker while also further cementing his own legacy. Losing that opportunity in AEW hurt Rhodes more than any loss he suffered in the ring.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying these aren't talented people worth signing but I do get a bit discouraged especially with Cody leaving that all of the people I saw potential in and started to love during Year 1/2 will eventually get phased out
Don't be. At most they'd take Private Party's spot or something so those guys can move up the totem a little as this HFO starts to fall apart.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's the Buddy Matthews one. Sry. Screenshot didn't load and I assumed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.