• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just woke up and read all of this. My brain is still trying to figure out all this but something seems off and I don't mean a work. Brandi just had a segment to build for the PPV and now both her and Cody are gone. Why would TK book this knowing they were leaving? The full story is gonna be interesting. Also I don't believe it but if Cody does go to WWE then he is a fool.
I feel like both Tony and Cody genuinely wanted to work things out, but behind closed doors the contract negotiations were miles apart. So they both postured publically about how everyone agreed they had to work something out --including booking!-- while neither were actually willing to budge, leading to the breakdown.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like both Tony and Cody genuinely wanted to work things out, but behind closed doors the contract negotiations were miles apart. So they both postured publically about how everyone agreed they had to work something out --including booking!-- while neither were actually willing to budge, leading to the breakdown.
Yeah it's not crazy for this to happen at all. Either way this is all so much so fast. Again can't wait to hear the full story someday.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
With Cody and Brandi leaving, I hope the Lambert stuff doesn't continue as is, that last promo with Brandi was awful and I don't want a replay of it to a next possible VanZant opponent.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yukes, getting the morning briefing that they're removing a character from the AEW game instead of adding 20 more new signees:

d51.gifv

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think Cody thought he was going to be the face of AEW. The guy they trot out to on talk shows, on press tours, in addition to the Warner tv stuff. And that clearly wasn't happening. The crowds weren't responding to him, and when you are adding people like Moxley, and CM Punk, and Brian Danielson, on a fairly regular basis, suddenly his spot on the totem pole starts getting lower and lower. Whenever people would discuss a potential Cody heel turn, and you'd get the teases and the hopes for some "slow burn" turn, my sense was always that Cody didn't have the self awareness for that . He wants to be the babyface star and doesn't understand why crowds don't love him and his family.
To add to this I totally believe the backstage stuff where some people had fallen out of favor with Cody(and Brandi), they asked for a big money deal after Khan's been signing much bigger names then Cody and Brandi like Punk, Danielson, people Rosa, Mercedes, and Deeb on the women's side with more to come, and Khan couldn't justify their asking price against their drawing power

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You think 2k and yukes just email each other .wrestler files? I'll give you cody if you send us your aleister.wrestler

the greatest work of all will be when it's revealed the AEW game is just AEW 2K22 and you have buy both that and WWE 2K22 to complete your entire roster a la pokemon

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I think Cody thought he was going to be the face of AEW. The guy they trot out to on talk shows, on press tours, in addition to the Warner tv stuff. And that clearly wasn't happening. The crowds weren't responding to him, and when you are adding people like Moxley, and CM Punk, and Brian Danielson, on a fairly regular basis, suddenly his spot on the totem pole starts getting lower and lower. Whenever people would discuss a potential Cody heel turn, and you'd get the teases and the hopes for some "slow burn" turn, my sense was always that Cody didn't have the self awareness for that . He wants to be the babyface star and doesn't understand why crowds don't love him and his family.
100%. Had this vibe when he won at All In. Felt it even more when he lost to MJF.
To add to this I totally believe the backstage stuff where some people had fallen out of favor with Cody(and Brandi), they asked for a big money deal after Khan's been signing much bigger names then Cody and Brandi like Punk, Danielson, people Rosa, Mercedes, and Deeb on the women's side with more to come, and Khan couldn't justify their asking price against their drawing power
Not for lack of trying. Towards the end there Cody was putting himself through physical and cutting Triple H-length promos in an effort to show he can be the guy. And he's just not. Unfortunately for him, he was working in an area of the industry with fans who are against anyone who they perceive as trying to inorganically make the fans commit to a specific reaction. He'll get that a little less in WWE, but even those fans boo stuff if it's lame enough.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
'm legit a bit bummed by Cody potentially leaving AEW despite his flaws.
It's ok. Todays news makes me think AEW outgrew Cody awhile ago. I'm grateful for some of what he's accomplished. Getting younger names over and a handful of great moments. But they have others that'll do that sort of thing gladly, I think.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Even though they got more than enough guys, you think this will accelerate Kenny's return?

I'm just saying this because I fucking miss him :(

Get well soon, Cleaner.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Also, it's a total work. Cody and Amanda Huber were the latest guests on Unrestricted last week in the context of AEW's community outreach. No way that's some kind of legit final hurrah or whatever.

You all worked yourselves into a shoot, marks.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It really feels like Cody and Brandi are leaving because they don't want to be heels, but can't manage to turn the crowd back toward their favour. So they'll just leave and come back when people are ready to like them again. Like, this is immediately after Brandi bombed hard enough that she was the defacto heel in a LAMBERT segment.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't watch Rhodes to the Top, because I presume it's the exact same kind of carny stuff that every other reality TV show I've watched has been.

Seeing people point to it to get 'real' insight into this has me scratching my head pretty hard.

Are you all telling me Rhodes to the Top is shoot?

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Cody was a big fish in a small pond when AEW started, but AEW is now an ocean with many big sharks in both name value and talent. Cody likely thought he was worthy of the type of money a Danielson or Punk got, and he's simply not in their universe. AEW outgrew Cody, and his "loss" won't be felt much at all. The loss of Brandi is a massive plus for AEW

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I don't watch Rhodes to the Top, because I presume it's the exact same kind of carny stuff that every other reality TV show I've watched has been.

Seeing people point to it to get 'real' insight into this has me scratching my head pretty hard.

Are you all telling me Rhodes to the Top is shoot?
It's not a shoot. Honestly, I got the impression that it barely even tries to portray itself as real. That's how blatantly fake it is.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok. Todays news makes me think AEW outgrew Cody awhile ago. I'm grateful for some of what he's accomplished. Getting younger names over and a handful of great moments. But they have others that'll do that sort of thing gladly, I think.
This is like looking at a table with 20 legs and saying this table doesn't need THAT leg anymore, no one would say this about Hangman or Kenny and they were both gone for months during some of AEW's hottest streaks

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
It really feels like Cody and Brandi are leaving because they don't want to be heels, but can't manage to turn the crowd back toward their favour. So they'll just leave and come back when people are ready to like them again. Like, this is immediately after Brandi bombed hard enough that she was the defacto heel in a LAMBERT segment.
Not sure this makes sense with her shitting on Chicago by calling it Cleveland right at the top of her promo. I think they had no idea whether they wanted to embrace a heel turn or not and so kept riding the fence.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The WWE side of this is also baffling. Not so much the deal itself, or their mindset of making the deal happen. Just the continued weirdness of having the most stacked roster of all time and all the people who feel like stars are just guys from previous eras and Roman Reigns.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all. Imagine if we went down a different path. Instead of ending the Malakai Black match with the Tiger Driver 98, he does the Pedigree. We get a big build based around "Is Cody really turning heel!?" and then we get that match with Cody and Andrade with the fire. Only this time Cody is persuasively a heel. The fire spot is genuinely Cody showing what he's willing to do to win. He breaks up with Arn (or better yet, Arn turns with him). And then we got either a heel Cody TNT reign or a heel Cody challenge to Hangman. Brandi could be by his side the whole way through.

None of this shit would ever have happened. It would have been the biggest story in wrestling. Tony would have been over backward to keep Cody and Brandi.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
This is like looking at a table with 20 legs and saying this table doesn't need THAT leg anymore, no one would say this about Hangman or Kenny and they were both gone for months during some of AEW's hottest streaks
Barely any of Cody's stories were any good. It's like... the run up to the Jericho match was good, the MJF build up was good, the TNT open challenge and loss to Brodie was good, then... what? Lots of nothing. He lost to Malakai and that was cool. He put Sammy over on his way out and that was cool.

His segments were more miss than hit regularly. They don't need him anymore. Not at this moment, anyway.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
cody would go right to kevin owens/sami zayn comedy mid card character tier

if he's LUCKY
I mean, I'm 100% confident this happens if he goes to WWE. And instead of opening the floodgates of AEW->WWE defections, it's gonna shut the gate because who in their right mind would want to make that jump when they turn one of the founders of AEW into a joke.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
WWE has something to offer Cody more valuable than money or card status: the rest of his father's trademarks. I can see Cody going bank for 2 or 3 years if WWE was willing to sign over trademarks on things they don't even use anymore.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
As an AEW fan, I realize that people jumping ship was only going to be a matter of time, but I've now gotten the not-totally-irrational fear in my head of Cody luring over some of AEW's younger (and other) talent to WWE once their contracts are up (if Cody goes to WWE, which seems likely if money was the issue and Vince wants to open up the wallet.) I know this goes both ways, but I'll be disappointed if some of these men and women jump over because of Cody's influence.

We'll see. I might have to watch some WWE YT videos in the near future to see what Cody ends up doing.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
As an AEW fan, I realize that people jumping ship was only going to be a matter of time, but I've now gotten the not-totally-irrational fear in my head of Cody luring over some of AEW's younger (and other) talent to WWE once their contracts are up (if Cody goes to WWE, which seems likely if money was the issue and Vince wants to open up the wallet.) I know this goes both ways, but I'll be disappointed if some of these men and women jump over because of Cody's influence.

We'll see. I might have to watch some WWE YT videos in the near future.
Gonna be hard to convince them when he's pushing hot dog carts and being featured on Main Event in 3 months.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
The wrestling carny in me always enjoyed for the most part Cody's role in AEW. He had a different feel, more sports-entetainment led which made him standout. He's been in some great segments over the years and many talking points.

I would love for this too be one big work but going back to WWE, fucking laughable! Just to imagine that for a second, what would Cody really feel he can get from it? Besides a bucket load of cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.