• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I really thought we were headed to a four horsemen type thing for Cody and it just never happened and instead we got cringe.
Remember when we thought he was going to do stuff with sting?
Remember when taz came out and demanded respect from cody and put him in a tazmission?

He seemed to have a nack for teasing/starting something and never going through with it.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
I have always liked Cody and always believed he's actually very self-aware, but if this move to WWE is real then for the first time ever I feel like he really is a fool.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tired: Cody is leaving for more money
wired: Cody is leaving due to backstage issues with the Bucks/Kenny
inspired: TK is sending Cody and Brandi to inject a lethal dose of poison into WWE's product from the inside

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
This comes from Jim Cornette's co host Brian Last but he has sources within AEW that have told him that there are many in the company that are sick of Cody and his antics. He was told that a few weeks ago around the time Cody won the TNT title a 3rd time.

That man knows nothing. Hell less than nothing. He just wants to shit on AEW. Dont listen to anything he has to say about AEW or wrestling in general.

Here's how I imagine it:

Cody's side: Well TK I'm an AEW original, I have TWO shows on Turner networks, I basically run our developmental system, I go out there and gig, I literally burn the skin off my back for this company... I'm untouchable. It would look real bad if you let me go. Pay me a fuckzillion dollars please.

TK: bro we have cm punk now fuck off

and that was it

TK called the bluff, the reality is Cody really isn't untouchable, his segments aren't blowaway, his matches aren't blowaway, he's not doing blowaway viewership or business... now Cody has no choice but to go to WWE if he wants big money.

While I don't doubt this could be a money situation. Cody has contracts with Warner for Rhodes to the Top & The Go Big Show. Can't imagine Warner being happy if Cody signs with WWE.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys considered -- Maybe Tony Khan doesn't care that much about Warner these days? Has eyes and irons in a fire for other things at this point?

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Still breaks my brain to think it's real because who actually benefits outside of money? Maybe it's a Nakamura situation where he just wants to chill and get paid bank to have 5-minute matches and leave every show/PPV halfway through because his part is done? Not being facetious I can see that being a positive. But long term this seems like a dud of a move in terms of TV.
Have you guys considered -- Maybe Tony Khan doesn't care that much about Warner these days? Has eyes and irons in a fire for other things at this point?
Aren't they supposedly working together on a new streaming deal?

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when we thought he was going to do stuff with sting?
Remember when taz came out and demanded respect from cody and put him in a tazmission?

He seemed to have a nack for teasing/starting something and never going through with it.

I actually don't remember either and I'm sure I've seen both as I've been watching since AEW hit television. The only thing that Cody went through with was the tattoo.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AEW is lined up to get a huge tv deal when it renews. Whether that's with Warner or someone else, but there will be a bidding war.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, I bet that's a part of it.

Cody tried to use the Warner relationship as leverage and TK was like "lol"

No matter where it is, expect 3 mega money deals for Dynamite, Rampage and AEW PPVs respectively in the near future. I'm sure Tony is trying to get a bidding war going, much like WWE did with their programming during the last round of negotiations.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I bet that's a part of it.

Cody tried to use the Warner relationship as leverage and TK was like "lol"

No matter where it is, expect 3 mega money deals for Dynamite, Rampage and AEW PPVs respectively in the near future. I'm sure Tony is trying to get a bidding war going, much like WWE did with their programming during the last round of negotiations.
Yeah seems like Cody was expecting to get the main event dollars and thought he could pull it off due to the fat tv deal AEW is about to get. TK was prolly like lol no you still aren't worth that much even with the money that will be rolling in.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Cody's main motivation with wrestling never seemed to be money, no idea why that would be the deal breaker now.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Time for bluexy's patented speculation bit.

Cody and Brandi have both been, piece by piece, removed from AEW's business organization over the past two years. Cody's work with Tony ended after he left for the first TV show recording. Cody has been booked less and less each time he's gone to film a show. Cody has been involved in smaller and smaller storylines over the past two years, too. He has, notably, still had creative control of his own stuff, which we can likely all assume was part of his contract.

I'm frankly surprised we haven't started talking about this sooner. I'm persuaded that Tony has been wanting to shrink the higher level linvolvement of the Rhodes (or... everyone) in AEW for some time now. That doesn't mean I think Tony dislikes Cody or Brandi. But rather that he wants them both in a position with the company equal to the vast majority of other talent in AEW. In other words, no say in booking whatsoever. No personal office. And, unfortunately for Cody, that likely means significantly less $$, too.

That's obviously not what Cody would ever want, especially given his ego over helping start AEW and being in two big TV shows. To the point where it's probably insulting to Cody, as opposed to just business. That's the only reason that makes sense for him being willing to go back to WWE when they spent years embarrassing him and his family. He's high on his own petard and WWE is willing to assuage that -- and AEW aint.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

Cody and Brandi have both been, piece by piece, removed from AEW's business organization over the past two years. Cody's work with Tony ended after he left for the first TV show recording. Cody has been booked less and less each time he's gone to film a show. Cody has been involved in smaller and smaller storylines over the past two years, too. He has, notably, still had creative control of his own stuff, which we can likely all assume was part of his contract.

I'm frankly surprised we haven't started talking about this sooner. I'm persuaded that Tony has been wanting to shrink the higher level linvolvement of the Rhodes (or... everyone) in AEW for some time now. That doesn't mean I think Tony dislikes Cody or Brandi. But rather that he wants them both in a position with the company equal to the vast majority of other talent in AEW. In other words, no say in booking whatsoever. No personal office. And, unfortunately for Cody, that likely means significantly less $$, too.

That's obviously not what Cody would ever want, especially given his ego over helping start AEW and being in two big TV shows. To the point where it's probably insulting to Cody, as opposed to just business. That's the only reason that makes sense for him being willing to go back to WWE when they spent years embarrassing him and his family. He's high on his own petard and WWE is willing to assuage that -- and AEW aint.
I can get behind this 100%. Good riddance if that's the case.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
What makes you say that?

He's a Rhodes, daddeh

Exactly, he was born rich already!

While I tend to agree with you, having a kid can change people's priorities with regards to money.

Maybe. But he isn't struggling for money as is.

Inflated sense of importance

I don't know. Maybe? But do we have any evidence of that outside of his booking?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Inflated sense of importance
who-wouldve-thought-not-me.gif

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
If Cody doesn't show up to Raw with a poofy, white pirate dress shirt, what are we even doing here

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only thing that doesnt make sense to me is wwe is cutting so many people

Why give a boatload of money to cody?

Unless they finally cut dudes like Ali to make room here.

The WWE cutting people has never been about saving money.

'Budget cuts' has been, and until their financial situation changes insanely, been a nice way to say, 'we don't see any value in you on the roster anymore.'

The fact people still don't get that is kind of amazing.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
If Cody showed up in WWE, would he be cheered or booed? Will he get "you sold out" chants?

Cheered if it's a PPV since those are usually smark-ish crowds. I think over time he would get pretty mild reactions on the weekly shows since WWE crowds probably don't care all that much about Cody unless they book him as a big deal from the start.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017

I believe your your post is incredibly reasonable!

Throughout the past couple of years there have been reports every once in a little while that Cody and the rest of the EVPs don't get along anymore, Cody stories have always felt like a separate part of Dynamite, and having watched a little bit of the backstage through Rhodes to the Top it might have gotten to his head that he was a bigger deal that he probably was with his own locker room. Looking back while there were a few good moments here and there, some of the worst moments in AEW have involved Cody and Brandi. On Rhodes to the Top there were a few segments where you could see Tony growing frustrated as a segment was getting off the rails.

Ultimately it's a good idea to not have the EVPs pushing their own storylines, but pitching ideas to Tony instead just as every other talent.

Not a single one of us can ever judge Codys motivations, and despite him being so against WWE in 2016 people do change. Whoever we are today is not who we were yesterday but also certainly is not who we're going to be tomorrow. He has a family, and the pandemic happened since he helped start AEW so he could have very different priorities nowadays so i can't judge him for that, but personally it would not had been my choice.

With that said, I have been posting on the AEW OT for quite some time that I am legitimately worried for AEW in the long term, Tony needs to get a few people to help him with the booking of the show and to make better use of the roster.

Every few weeks someone comes in as if they are a big deal, do a decent to okay match and get the All Elite tweet and then drop off like Tony Nese.

There are entire factions that have disappeared, storylines dropped, wrestlers get random pushes only to disappear again.

I love AEW and it's the only show i can support but it's not without it's issues and more and more it seems to just have replaced NXT with the constant new signees

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, as I said in the other thread, I don't think it's that complicated - if you're Cody Rhodes, would you rather be told 'no, you can't do that' by Vince McMahon, or by the punk rich kid, who you probably think would still be most famous for screwing up his Daddy's soccer club if you hadn't Tweeted out a list of opponents you wanted to wrestler after getting released and got in a Twitter argument w/ Dave about drawing 10,000 people with an indy show.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, as I said in the other thread, I don't think it's that complicated - if you're Cody Rhodes, would you rather be told 'no, you can't do that' by Vince McMahon, or by the punk rich kid, who you probably think would still be most famous for screwing up his Daddy's soccer club if you hadn't Tweeted out a list of opponents you wanted to wrestler after getting released and got in a Twitter argument w/ Dave about drawing 10,000 people with an indy show.
Does Vince have any negatives attached to him?

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I just woke up and read all of this. My brain is still trying to figure out all this but something seems off and I don't mean a work. Brandi just had a segment to build for the PPV and now both her and Cody are gone. Why would TK book this knowing they were leaving? The full story is gonna be interesting. Also I don't believe it but if Cody does go to WWE then he is a fool.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think Cody thought he was going to be the face of AEW. The guy they trot out to on talk shows, on press tours, in addition to the Warner tv stuff. And that clearly wasn't happening. The crowds weren't responding to him, and when you are adding people like Moxley, and CM Punk, and Brian Danielson, on a fairly regular basis, suddenly his spot on the totem pole starts getting lower and lower. Whenever people would discuss a potential Cody heel turn, and you'd get the teases and the hopes for some "slow burn" turn, my sense was always that Cody didn't have the self awareness for that . He wants to be the babyface star and doesn't understand why crowds don't love him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.