• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
What did Darby do? I had no idea
My point exactly right here.

Darby was involved with a woman when he was in the indies that accused him of assaulting and raping her. This came up during #SpeakingOut where it was only implied to be him and someone ELSE named him against the woman's wishes. That got deleted so it was unclear. Tony said him and Darby discussed it and we got the vague resolution of "there were texts that cleared things up." Paraphrasing that but that was pretty much what was said at a official capacity about it after what happened to Jimmy Havoc happened. Then the woman months later came out and said it Darby around the time he was about to get the TNT title.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
These things just keep getting brought up over and over which I think is where some of the fatigue comes from. At least in my case that's true. Someone mentions Darby and then the next 10 posts are "well fuck Darby, he's an abuser". I mean like I get it, these things should be discussed and brought to light. But it's just that we keep coming back to them over and over and over again. They are brought up as non sequitur when just wrestling is being discussed. That's where it gets kinda exhausting to read this thread sometimes. At a certain point you either decide to watch or decide to turn it off.

I feel the same way. I enjoy everyone's posts and contributions here but there's so much "yeah BUT" going on lately. If people like Lethal or Darby, so what. The stories are out there and it's hard to miss them. And the story on Lethal seems to keep changing here, too. Not saying lethal isn't an asshole abuser but first I remember hearing that he offered to elevate women in ROH if they slept with him. Then it was he sexually assaulted AJ. Then it's he sexually assaulted a bunch of women in ROH and told them to keep quiet or else. Then it's he has crazy heat with Punk. Some of that stuff is probably true but if Punk hated the guy that much because he did awful things to AJ, all he has to do is go to Tony and say it's either he goes or I go. Lethal would be gone that same day.

If people don't enjoy an episode or recent storylines or something, that's cool. Start a discussion about why. But all the rumors being posted every time someone likes X wrestler does get old.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't care about the sex pests on the show it's really easy to just ignore the posts complaining about them.

I think calling out the "negativity" of people who are less happy that these people are on the show is much weirder, personally.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. I enjoy everyone's posts and contributions here but there's so much "yeah BUT" going on lately. If people like Lethal or Darby, so what. The stories are out there and it's hard to miss them. And the story on Lethal seems to keep changing here, too. Not saying lethal isn't an asshole abuser but first I remember hearing that he offered to elevate women in ROH if they slept with him. Then it was he sexually assaulted AJ. Then it's he sexually assaulted a bunch of women in ROH and told them to keep quiet or else. Then it's he has crazy heat with Punk. Some of that stuff is probably true but if Punk hated the guy that much because he did awful things to AJ, all he has to do is go to Tony and say it's either he goes or I go. Lethal would be gone that same day.

If people don't enjoy an episode or recent storylines or something, that's cool. Start a discussion about why. But all the rumors being posted every time someone likes X wrestler does get old.

"Please don't talk about my wrestler's shitty past actions with women as it really kills my vibes when watching him wrestle. Thanks!"

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
The stories are out there and it's hard to miss them.
Someone who posts in here quite regularly just admitted to never hearing about Darby a few posts before yours...

What did Darby do? I had no idea

People are just gonna talk about real ass real shit sometimes. A lot of these things come to light because it's true and the victim didn't get justice so they bring it up so fans know when they're ready to go public with that kind of thing. Someone tried to do something about it and that person got protected because of their position and clout. I think we're veering into some hazy "don't believe the victims" stuff here, that should frankly be squashed as this should be a space to discuss that stuff. We're all adults here, so why should we not talk about hard things when it comes to the entertainment we enjoy? Doesn't mean you have to stop liking it as a whole or stick your head in the sand to enjoy it.

I think it's one of those things some here may need to come to terms with that, within this community anyway, as I personally feel it should always be a subject up for discussion cuz this space is meant to be an accommodating one for all fans and not one that looks to be apologetic to the performers when there's word that they may be dangerous in some manner to them as a fan or to others that they enjoy at the company.

I like watching Darby wrestle and enjoy the stories he's in. They pull off the magic trick of getting me hype to see the guy very well. But it's all with a caveat because of I know what I know about him. I hope he'll speak more publicly about his past and say what he's done to change and do what he can to allow the woman he hurt heal. But I'm not too optimistic about it given that it was brushed aside so hastily and his scummy ex wife (who I used to think was rad, too. Priscilla Kelly/Gigi Allen in NXT) was harassing the woman that accused her of lying about speaking up about Darby. There's too much sus as fuck shit to that story from Darby's end of it to just let it go. If Darby went away tomorrow cuz more concrete evidence came up, then great. Good bye. That woman got some kind of justice too late as she says it freaks her out to see him on TV getting all this love every week. It's a shame someone that I found entertaining ended up being scummy but I'm not going to prioritize a fake sport over real lives ever.

IDK man. Some stuff just shouldn't stop being said.

I also don't see how talking about these sorts of things is being negative about the show in any way as it's way bigger than the show and far more important.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am both disgusted by Darby and a fan of his. This shit's all complicated and there's no right way to feel about any of it. I personally agree it should never stop being brought up, but the bottom line is how much it's brought up should never be policed. Just respect other people's feelings on this shit. It's not easy to deal with and everyone deals with it in different ways. Let them get it out as they see fit, when they see fit.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
At the end of the day, you can just move on. You don't need to dwell on every post that diverges from your own personal feelings. Wrestling, just like real sports, is filled with flawed people, and some downright bad people. It comes with the package unfortunately.

As a famous wife beater likes to say, "ah hell son, it is what it is".

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I am both disgusted by Darby and a fan of his. This shit's all complicated and there's no right way to feel about any of it. I personally agree it should never stop being brought up, but the bottom line is how much it's brought up should never be policed. Just respect other people's feelings on this shit. It's not easy to deal with and everyone deals with it in different ways. Let them get it out as they see fit, when they see fit.

Same for real. I like watching Darby in the ring but I always have it at the back of my head that he sucks IRL. I passed up buying an "I was there" shirt at Dynamite cuz he was part of the collage of faces on the front, cuz while I'm not turning the channel when he's on, I'm not gonna rep him in any way. I am used to this kind of cognitive dissonance because I've been a metal fan for 30+ years and shit is gnarly in that scene when it comes to popular acts having skeletons in their closet or being outright public shitheads.

I think this thread does get into weird negative zones sometimes but I'm also not certain that that "weird" is necessarily bad. But when someone hypes up Lethal as a great hire without a mention of his history, the topic is going to come up. Setting aside the severity of what he's accused of, purely in terms of keeping things cool backstage (which has been one of AEW's strengths), it's *really weird* for TK to hire Lethal without a heads up to Punk. Either TK didn't do his due diligence on background checks, or he didn't care about what he found, and (correct me if I'm wrong on this) Punk was surprised by the announcement. Dicey move.

And Lethal's contract probably doesn't let TK cut him loose right away for this situation, but him mostly disappearing to Dark does fit. So that's my best guess at his weird big announcement followed by... *poof*

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My point exactly right here.

Darby was involved with a woman when he was in the indies that accused him of assaulting and raping her. This came up during #SpeakingOut where it was only implied to be him and someone ELSE named him against the woman's wishes. That got deleted so it was unclear. Tony said him and Darby discussed it and we got the vague resolution of "there were texts that cleared things up." Paraphrasing that but that was pretty much what was said at a official capacity about it after what happened to Jimmy Havoc happened. Then the woman months later came out and said it Darby around the time he was about to get the TNT title.

Thanks

At the end of the day, you can just move on. You don't need to dwell on every post that diverges from your own personal feelings. Wrestling, just like real sports, is filled with flawed people, and some downright bad people. It comes with the package unfortunately.

As a famous wife beater likes to say, "ah he'll son, it is what it is".

Agreed. It's the type of stuff it's better to know and then you just decide how you feel about it. For some people it will just sour the deal, while for others it will be a complete turn off. Both are okay. What's not okay is to dismiss these stories or how other people feel about it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I wish we got to see whatever Darby presented that apparently convinced his superiors to keep him around and continue to push him. I suspect it's a bunch of nonsense, but in his case it makes it very hard for me to form a firm conclusion on whether I want him fired or not. It leaves the whole thing white noise for me.

In Jay Lethal's case, at this point I know what he's said, and I know what his victims have said, and I feel very comfortable saying fuck that guy.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Miro was on Kurt Angle's podcast and talked about his WWE release.

Miro on his WWE release: "I was so happy. I kind of lost it for 30 seconds because when the whole pandemic thing was happening, we were just trying to fight for some type of rights, because it's not right that we had to fly every week to TV and all these circumstances without anybody caring. I just didn't think it was right. We were in a little group text that got leaked out to the office, somebody leaked it that we were doing this, we were just talking among us how we could bring this to the office. It got leaked out that we were on it and I think a few days later I was released."

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Miro on his WWE release: "I was so happy. I kind of lost it for 30 seconds because when the whole pandemic thing was happening, we were just trying to fight for some type of rights, because it's not right that we had to fly every week to TV and all these circumstances without anybody caring. I just didn't think it was right. We were in a little group text that got leaked out to the office, somebody leaked it that we were doing this, we were just talking among us how we could bring this to the office. It got leaked out that we were on it and I think a few days later I was released."
Lmao everyone saying all Ali needs to do to get his release is start a Union were on the money.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAH, ALI DO THIS

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017

Of course, I'm not shocked. More wrestlers should do this just to stick it to Vince.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Spoiler tagging because the discussion has started to move on from the Lethal stuff.

You'd have to be really new to this thread to participate in it yet not know of the sordid things that certain wrestlers have reportedly done, it's one of the top reoccurring weekly topics of the thread. Like literally having 60-70% of the thread on ignore levels. Bad shit going down or even regurgitated talk of the bad shit way after the matter often goes on for pages and should be impossible to avoid.

Which is why I really don't think a poster, who has been here a good while, calling Jay Lethal a good hire is saying that he's a wonderful human being. From what I've seen of their post history they just don't care to engage on that level, I don't know the reason why but I ain't gonna judge them for only wanting to engage on that level either as sometimes that's the only way I wanna engage with AEW discussion.

This is probably a failing of mine but I generally assume that the majority of people in here are mature adults and that it goes without saying that being a real life scumbag trumps being a good wrestler.

That being saidโ€ฆ..if you have been in a while, learn to read the room, unless you've got literally everyone on ignore, you should know by now the red rags that set off the bulls.

Also for everyone on the complete opposite side of the fandom who lives and breathes this dumb shit, take a look at who you're addressing first and think does me quoting this wrestlers rap sheet to this specific poster actually do anything or are you just wasting energy? Chances are that you're just wasting energy, move on, your way of engaging doesn't fit there's, leave each other be. Save that energy for the people coming in who legitimately don't know what Lethal or Darby or Sammy or whoever did but actually care to want to find out.

Don't take this as me asking for certain topics to not be talked about, it's not, it's great to have one well informed community that is able to have more civilised discussions about serious subjects and topics. But if some people don't wanna engage on the same level as others that's also fine, it doesn't have to make them bad or even ignorant.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017

Jay White: "The invitation came through, from, from my good buddy, Adam Cole," White said. "He just reached out to me and he asked me if I'd like to come in. Without giving away too much if I'd like to come and maybe give the Young Bucks a hand, as he said. So, yeah it was a right time because I guess the right person asked."

Jay White is the leader of Bullet Club in NJPW. Adam Cole is a former Bullet Club member, But their tenures in the faction never overlapped. Nonetheless, White seems happy to lend Cole a hand.

"Me and Adam Cole, we don't have any history," White explained. "We don't, there's no beef between us. We've never had any sort of issue. We wrestled once a while ago in Ring of Honor, and there was no personal issues there. So although, yeah, I know Bullet Club has had this stuff with the Elite before, but I was never a part of that. So, you know, I had my stuff with Kenny (Omega) before, but I beat him, you know? Took that belt from him and so I have nothing else to prove to him or anybody about that. So again with Adam Cole, we get along, we have no reason not to so far, so I don't see why our paths would cross. If that happens, that happens. Then you know what, okay. But at this point, I see no reason for it."

Jay White:" Why can Adam Cole and the Bucks throw up the Too Sweet again? Maybe if I'm the one extending the olive branch and try to make it work maybe they will be more open to it. We are obviously off to a good start. Why can't we have the Bullet Club united in AEW, NJPW and Impact?"

๐Ÿ‘€

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

If I'm a billionare running a flight of fancy wrestling company -- my checkbook is out, ready to be signed and blank.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Getting The North into AEW has always felt like the long play to me ever since Ethan Page came into the company. I hope Khan can get still make it happen and that Alexander can get his work Visa situation sorted out. I've been in close contact with numerous people waiting on government documents for work permits and study permits, and the stress levels are unhealthy but unavoidable. Hope we see Josh back and wrestling Stateside ASAP.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Alexander has had immigration issues to the US before (I believe he snuck into the US without a visa and tried to go to an indie show) and was banned from entering.

Its not very simple to switch your visa to a different employer all the time - so this may be something that *had* to happen and he can try and go back to Impact! or elsewhere.

I seriously doubt between NJPW, AEW and Impact that no one wants him.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Alexander has had immigration issues to the US before (I believe he snuck into the US without a visa and tried to go to an indie show) and was banned from entering.

Its not very simple to switch your visa to a different employer all the time - so this may be something that *had* to happen and he can try and go back to Impact! or elsewhere.

I seriously doubt between NJPW, AEW and Impact that no one wants him.
It really sucks that the immigration structure here is such a damned disaster. There really does need to be a much easier path for folks.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I know some of y'all are burnt out on Best Friends, but I don't wanna see Trent and Chuck break up. They're a great team.

Or is it possible Chuck could turn heel along with Trent? ๐Ÿค”

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I know some of y'all are burnt out on Best Friends, but I don't wanna see Trent and Chuck break up. They're a great team.

Or is it possible Chuck could turn heel along with Trent? ๐Ÿค”
Have the entire Best Friends turn heel. I would be fully invested in a heel Orange Cassidy. Would give the group some fresh paint.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Chuck is underrated my most people , if he was younger he would be pushed better, he's charismatic and he's a good wrestler.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Also I would love to see Keith Lee destroy one of the jobber factions. Just give me 5 minutes of Lee destroying bodies on Dynamite please and thank you!

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Statlander is still a face to me. Leyla was a jerk to her in their tag match, Leyla attacked their mutual friend Red Velvet, and Leyla blind-sided Statlander with not one, but two chair shots. Statlander has wanted to make good with Leyla, but Leyla wasn't having it, and now Statlander's been pushed over the edge to the point where she said what she said. Was it a babyface line? No. But given the road they took to get there, with Statlander doing all she could to make things right with Leyla before then, I understand Statlander's frustration and wanting to really needle Leyla where it hurts. Eye for an eye, etc.

Anyway, that should be a really hot match whenever it happens. Hope they absolutely kill it.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
K89MRY.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.