• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rampage going to 2 hours would be great news and really help more people get screen time that need it.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if the huge announcement is something like Rampage moving to two hours.

'K, I'm dropping my "not posting until after the reveal" gimmick for this one. Couldn't stay away. LOL (I also trust the people of this community not to post open spoilers for things like a surprise reveal)

Please, no. Rampage is currently my favourite weekly wrestling program, and it's because it's an incredibly focused 60 minutes that shines a much bigger light on in-ring action. One hour is enough to scratch that itch for me. I know I'm not everyone, and I could be totally wrong, but I feel they would have to change the format of the show and just make it feel like another episode of Dynamite if they went two hours. I like how distinct it feels from Dynamite, which does more story setup, though still has bangers here and there too.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony Khan to pwinsider said:
Tonight's Surprise vs. previous debuts such as CM Punk and Bryan Danielson:

"It's really exciting that we're in this position right now. I think it's a little bit of apples and oranges because CM Punk as the first dance is a very specific example where we made it very clear it was going to be him and I wouldn't have brought out anybody else. There are other huge stars in wrestling that would've been great debuts on any other night, but that was not the night for those people. That's a little bit different. Here, I don't think I've exactly been so specific about who's coming, but I said it's going to be a major signing for us and I think it's going to be a very exciting night. Like I said, I have opened the forbidden door and I don't want to say exactly what's going to happen or when it's going to happen, but it's going to be an eventful night. And I hope that people get their expectations met. And frankly, I've seen a lot of other speculations and there's a lot of great names out there. And anything we do on this particular Wednesday night Dynamite, it doesn't limit us in the future from finding some of these other people. There's a lot of exciting names and opening the forbidden door there will allow to these big names. So there are a lot of possibilities and I don't want to get too specific on the speculation, but there's going to be somebody who's going to sign with AEW going forward and be a part of the company and as I also said, I would open the forbidden door, and without getting too specific to what that mean is, it's definitely opened up some speculation, but I think in a good way and I would be nervous or I wouldn't be feeling good right now if I didn't believe that we have the people in hand and they're going to be in Atlantic city. But we do have those people. So it's going to be a really fun night for the fans, I think, and also be some great wrestling on the card and a lot to look forward to. There's been some stuff, like I said, that's been announced. But there's also going to be some other really exciting things on the show that have not been announced yet, more than one exciting thing on the show that have not been announced. So I'm really looking forward to this."

TK mentions PEOPLE and not PERSON.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Time for me to bow out before Dynamite I think. Don't disappoint us TK!

I'm prepared to be disappointed

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
So, if its actually a "forbidden door" it means:

1) Ali - which no.
2) Switchblade - possible
3) Ospreay + Cobb + Priestly - GROSS
4) ROH invasion?

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Tinfoil hat time*
It can't be Ali....right? Like would Tony be willing to go to court over that? I would be crazy though.

That would be a bold move. I don't know why TK would do that though. That means anyone on AEW's roster is also fair game for WWE to steal.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
*Tinfoil hat time*
It can't be Ali....right? Like would Tony be willing to go to court over that? I would be crazy though.

So - I seriously doubt those WWE contracts hold up in court. He's 1099. I doubt you can make a 1099 contractor sign a non-compete and have that hold up in court.

But also so are 100% of TKs wrestlers. There is no way he wants to open up the roster to being poached like that.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Hikaru Shida wrote a column for ShuPro about her return to Japan and the current state of AEW's relationship with joshi. It's behind a paywall but I have a ShuPro subscription for DDT reasons and put the page through a DeepL translation. So since it is a machine translation don't take what is written below to be 100% accurate or in the proper context. Still you'll get the idea of what she's saying. The pandemic and a growing roster makes it more difficult for joshi to appear in AEW, also those who do move to the USA like Emi Sakura are left entirely to their own devices. Shida is hopeful that joshi crossovers will continue and an AEW show in Japan can happen. She also hopes to wrestle in Japan again soon but might already be back in America now.

Link just to prove the column is real: https://wp.bbm-mobile.com/sp2/SyuMobEyes/Detail.asp?sendtime=20220210040100&c=02&ar=00595

I'm back home after almost a year. By the time this column is up, I will have returned to the US, but the main reason was to perform at the Makai on the 4th. This is the first time in almost two years that I have performed in the Makai.

Last year, I came back to Japan to manage and promote the Japanese block of the AEW Women's Championship Challenge Tournament, which was distributed from February to March. With the help of various organizations and players, I think we were able to present new possibilities for the relationship between Japanese women's wrestling and AEW, but things have changed a lot in the year since then.

In conclusion, my feeling is that the hurdle for Japanese women's professional wrestlers to come to AEW has become much higher. The big reason is the Corona disaster which is not easy to finish. And because the AEW women's division has grown so much in the past year.

The AEW is an ever-changing organisation, with players coming and going at a very fast pace. If you've been following AEW on FITE TV or YouTube, you'll know that the women's division, in particular, has seen an increase in the number of young, pretty and dynamic athletes over the past year.

At the time of the launch, the women's division of AEW relied heavily on Japanese female wrestlers, and that was one of the selling points of the division. But that was only the case for a while after the launch. Nowadays, being a Japanese female pro wrestler is not such an advantage as it used to be.

On the contrary, the language barrier, getting a work visa and the Corona disaster have become more of a disadvantage. I myself am no exception to this, and even I, a member of the AEW since its inception and a former Women's Champion, am struggling to survive in the current AEW.

In AEW, players have a lot of freedom, but they are responsible for everything. For example, if you want to find a place to live, even if you are Japanese, there is basically no assistance from the organization. That's how it was for me.

So when I heard that Sakura-san was moving to the US, I was worried. I was worried. I've been studying English since I was a kid, and I speak English better than most people think, but I still had a lot of trouble. Sakura-san, on the other hand, could barely hold an everyday conversation.

Even so, she found a room by herself and is desperately trying to get a chance at AEW. But even though she came to America with such determination, she was not given the chance to compete in TV matches. Before she can appeal herself in a match, she has to fight hard to get a chance to compete. That is what AEW is today.

However, AEW is an organization that is always pursuing new possibilities, and I don't think that Japanese women's wrestling has disappeared from the list of options. When Corona settles down, there will be a day when AEW and Japanese women's wrestling can interact in a new way. That said, I would like to take this opportunity to say that even if we are able to sign a contract, it's only a start.

As for myself, I will be returning to Japan this year to perform in all the upcoming shows of the Makai. I also hope to resume my activities as a professional wrestler in Japan soon. The last time I had a match in front of a Japanese audience was in October 2019. That was already two years and three months ago.

I believe that in the not too distant future there will be an AEW show in Japan, and I hope that the Japanese fans will see the evolution of Hikaru Shida in AEW. I would like to show my evolution in AEW to my fans in Japan. To all of you reading this column, I look forward to seeing you at the AEW show and seeing you again as professional wrestlers!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Alright this guy is promoting the shit out of this and now I'm hyped. I hope I'm not massively let down.

"And frankly, I've seen a lot of other speculations and there's a lot of great names out there. And anything we do on this particular Wednesday night Dynamite, it doesn't limit us in the future from finding some of these other people"

This bit makes me think that it's not going to be any of the rumored people.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hikaru Shida wrote a column for ShuPro about her return to Japan and the current state of AEW's relationship with joshi. It's behind a paywall but I have a ShuPro subscription for DDT reasons and put the page through a DeepL translation. So since it is a machine translation don't take what is written below to be 100% accurate or in the proper context. Still you'll get the idea of what she's saying. The pandemic and a growing roster makes it more difficult for joshi to appear in AEW, also those who do move to the USA like Emi Sakura are left entirely to their own devices. Shida is hopeful that joshi crossovers will continue and an AEW show in Japan can happen. She also hopes to wrestle in Japan again soon but might already be back in America now.

Link just to prove the column is real: https://wp.bbm-mobile.com/sp2/SyuMobEyes/Detail.asp?sendtime=20220210040100&c=02&ar=00595
On top of TK's women's booking issues I imagine it's difficult to properly plan long term for folks who live outside the US given various travel restrictions and COVID protocols. We've been seeing this issue with PAC. Someone it's clear they want to push but every now and again travel disrupts the story.

Throw that disruption on the one or two segments the women get in a week and it's a recipe for disaster. It's a shitty situation and I'm not sure how to make it better.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that the company has been around for three years, deals are slowly coming up for renewal. What goes into deciding whether you are offering a new contract to talent or just letting it play out and cutting ties?

When we started a lot of people had contracts that were a couple of years long and a lot of them are coming up. I have really tried hard to be very considerate of the people on the roster, especially going through the pandemic. That encompassed a long period of time where we were still in our first year of television and going into our second. I kept a lot of people under contract even though I wasn't necessarily using them on television because I wanted them to still have paying work, which was hard to come by for wrestling during the pandemic where there weren't any independent shows. Really only two places were running and the other place was cutting people left and right. I did want to give some job security to people. Now with so many wrestlers coming in, I can't renew all the contracts. I've had to make some tough choices based on ability, fan response, or both. I try to maintain the best roster I can for the company and fans.
www.tvinsider.com

Tony Khan Teases Next Big Signing Ahead of Reveal on AEW 'Dynamite'

Who is walking through the 'Forbidden Door' on Wednesday night?

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
AEW partners with ROH? Could that be the big announcement?

ROH at this point isn't really anything than a set of belts, (potentially) upcoming indie shows with non-contracted talent and their video library which is used to shore up Sinclair's TV. There isn't really any potential upside to be gotten from getting tangled in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.