• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradley

Feb 15, 2019
Dynamite doesn't feel must-watch to me the way it did this time last year. Other than the Team Taz implosion, I just don't see any stories that are that engaging, even if there are individual matches that are good.

I think I started tuning out during the Hangman reign. His rise to the top was so good and I was so interested to see how his arc would progress as champion. But there wasn't really any progression. There was a hint of it when he lost against Punk, but even that hasn't been followed up on.

I hope things start to coalesce a bit better soon.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
So Twitter has all of a sudden deemed WWE as Disneyland and now everyone wants to go there? The last 2 weeks on wrestling Twitter have been unbearable. The discourse is ridiculous.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Dynamite doesn't feel must-watch to me the way it did this time last year. Other than the Team Taz implosion, I just don't see any stories that are that engaging, even if there are individual matches that are good.

I think I started tuning out during the Hangman reign. His rise to the top was so good and I was so interested to see how his arc would progress as champion. But there wasn't really any progression. There was a hint of it when he lost against Punk, but even that hasn't been followed up on.

I don't think there's been a good world championship reign when it comes to story. Or any belt? But I don't like long belt holds though. Hangman's title run looks to be the same as Thunder Rosa's, some good matches, stiff promos, and then it ends. Add in Jurassic Express too though they had the Christian angle to move to. But a lot of awkward stuff floating around AEW.

Jade's title run :/

Last edited:

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Over in AAA the October Triplemania show will have Thunder Rosa challenging Taya Valkyrie for the Reina de Reinas title.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
There's no denying wwe hype right now, I'm more interested in watching Raw tonight than Dark Elevation.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
Anyone else here use Sling? I forgot to record Battle of the Belts III and it's still not showing up on-demand like the first two. I really wanna see the Takeshita/Claudio match...

I have Sling and I just checked the On Demand section and couldn't find it myself either. Did you check under Dynamite & Rampage? Maybe it got put under there. I remember the first BOTB being under a strange name on Sling. Maybe the same happened again?

I only remembered to record the show like an hour before it came on lol. If I can help in any way, feel free to ask.

Rampage is always going to be a tough nut to crack. 10 PM on a Friday is a death slot.

Unless you HEAVILY promote that something big is happening, people just arent going to tune in.

If they want Rampage to be anything more than it is now, it needs to be in prime time on a diff day.

Its gonna get tough for everyone with footbal starting back up again.

I do not know if this is a load of BS, but I came across someone on Reddit saying that NFL owners can't run side projects in direct competition to the NFL.

This explains the time slot of Rampage. And if it's true, will definitely limit when Rampage could be moved too.

I just don't know if that is actually a real issue or if that person on Reddit was talking out their ass. It does make sense though. TK is always adamant about not running AEW against the NFL. I always just assumed it was to get away from something that would eat into AEW's ratings.

Been enjoying AEW a lot more the past few weeks. Sucks to repeat it ad nauseum, but AEW's booking over the past few months has largely been affected by 3 things:

-injuries + MJF situation + Jeff Hardy situation (must be hard to have stories you want to do but having no idea when or if you'll be able to do them)
-building to Forbidden Door and Death Before Dishonor back to back (less focus on AEW stories)
-Tony clearly taking on too much (new internal promotions should hopefully help with that)

Anyway, I've loved a lot of the stuff they've put out lately. Battle of the Belts was a lot of fun, Orange Cassidy has been fantastic, Swerve in Our Glory killed it on Rampage, ThunderStorm vs. Britt and Jamie feud has been strong between Dynamite and BotB, the Ricky/Powerhouse/HOOK stuff has been gold, and I've been intrigued by the Jungle Boy/Christian stuff.

Honestly, I don't want to get too down on the product because so much of it has been great (and some has just been okay) lately. I'm probably easier to please, but I sometimes wonder what fans expect when we're getting Claudio vs. Takeshita, Danielson vs. Garcia, and fun moments like Wardlow teasing a powerbomb on Satnam Singh, or Tony Nese tossing protein powder in his face before eating shit. LOL

I do get wanting certain things to happen and move along, though, and for stories to capture people's interest a lot more.

Hope everyone has a good day. Cheers, gang. This week looks like it could provide some stupid good wrestling, too.

View: https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1556626281743073281?s=20&t=N9GvfRt2AToglKGFvAedmw

I am in the same boat as you Rivenblade. I've been enjoying AEW a lot more (I was never not enjoying it) over the past 3 weeks or so.

I feel that AEW could be entering another great period right now. I made the bold claim that the build to All Out, might be close to the build of Revolution '20. I still stand by this as I've only gotten more interested in the current storylines and AEW has delivered some fantastic matches as well.

Hell, the women's division might be in the best place it's been from a presentation/storyline perspective. We got:
- The Rosa/Storm/Britt/Hayter storyline, which is bringing some exposure to Jamie Hayter. I'm predicting a title change at All Out (I'm thinking a Fatal Fourway is happening there)
- Anna Jay getting a new and fun personality. She also got back with her friend Tay Conti, which is great. The two are also feuding with Ruby, who will probably need the help of Skye Blue. This also elevates Skye Blue in the division as well
- The Baddies have been highly entertaining. The feud with Athena & Kris Statlander has been dragging its feet a bit, but I'm still enjoying it. Now Madison Rayne has entered the feud too, which could lead to some fun stuff. Also this feud elevates Red Velvet, Kiera Hogan & Leila Grey as well

Other things I'm really enjoying:
- The upcoming Trios Tournament. I love tournaments and the Trios division might just become my favorite in AEW with all the great stables that AEW has.
- Wardlow has been a blast to watch. He's really growing in front of our eyes
- Konosuke Takeshita is the reason I love pro wrestling. Just everyone getting behind and supporting a future hall of famer. His matches always deliver too (Even the Dark/Elevation matches)
- Great feud with Starks & Hobbs
- HOOK winning the FTW Title was great
- Swerve In Our Glory being a fun tag team that have a great presence.

Damn I could go on and on lol

Sorry for the novel, just actually in a good mood for once and wanted to inject some positivity into the thread.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
WWE has been the only wrestling company to make two nights of wrestling must see tv in terms of ratings.

The problem rampage has is

1. Its taped after Dynamite which tells the audience this isnt special
2. Its one hour long which tells the audience this isnt special
3. Major built up matches dont happen on the show which tells the audience this isnt special
..it's on at 10 PM on a Friday.. after Smackdown.

Like I said.. it's a death slot.

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the same boat as Evildead1987 and Rivenblade - AEW these past 3 weeks has been great. The show 2 weeks ago with the Team Taz implosion, HOOK FTW win and Garcia win was probably my all time favourite ep of Dynamite. I still think they missed a trick in not having an FTW defence at BOTB to keep that momentum up but we'll see how this week goes.

If we keep getting more (ex-?)Team Taz drama with Hobbs/Starks and a proper FTW title feud, a BCC/JAS battle for ownership of Garcia then I'll be happy.

I've a feeling this angle with Starks/The Factory is going to have HOOK pulled into it in some way - maybe we get a one-off tag with Starks after all. Wouldn't quite make up for not getting a full TT trio match but it's as close as we're probably going to get for a while.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

bradley

Feb 15, 2019
I don't think there's been a good world championship reign when it comes to story. Or any belt? But I don't like long belt holds though. Hangman's title run looks to be the same as Thunder Rosa's, some good matches, stiff promos, and then it ends. Add in Jurassic Express too though they had the Christian angle to move to. But a lot of awkward stuff floating around AEW.

Jade's title run :/

It's a shame that the title reign always seems to be the culmination of the story. Or at least there can't be any profession during the reign itself. Feels like it kneecaps a lot of interesting possibilities. L

It's a bad time for AEW to be flat because I am curious about how WWE might change after a long stretch of not really being interested in it. But honestly this is how I expected the AEW/WWE situation to be a few years in — they'll both have good and bad stretches, but as a fan, hopefully that means there's always one of them that's interesting.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Twitter has all of a sudden deemed WWE as Disneyland and now everyone wants to go there? The last 2 weeks on wrestling Twitter have been unbearable. The discourse is ridiculous.
Miro and Andrade likes tweets about not being used in AEW and how they were better in WWE it's all over now.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
btw watching BTE, just noticed that Adam Cole said:

"but IF I'm not medically cleared, and Kyle O'Reilly's not medically cleared…"

Didn't pick up on using the word IF when it aired live.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

I half agree, I think Dynamite is a safe watch because shows are mostly good with great matches, but I do feel the lack of direction. Seems like they're getting somewhere with BCC and JAS at least.

Hangman being thrown to the side has been such a bummer. With Punk gone one would have assumed he would've gone for the championship with all he's got but... Forbidden Door said hello and we kinda forget that he was supposed to be the face of the company just some weeks ago. It felt like WWE booking of a failed champion.

bradley

Feb 15, 2019
I half agree, I think Dynamite is a safe watch because shows are mostly good with great matches, but I do feel the lack of direction. Seems like they're getting somewhere with BCC and JAS at least.

Hangman being thrown to the side has been such a bummer. With Punk gone one would have assumed he would've gone for the championship with all he's got but... Forbidden Door said hello and we kinda forget that he was supposed to be the face of the company just some weeks ago. It felt like WWE booking of a failed champion.

A safe watch is a good way to put it. I rarely feel like it's a waste of time, but I'm not as motivated to watch it live, or even go back and watch it later.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Well then the only option i see is tuesday night dynamite and wednesday night rampage

Unless theres football tuesdays too
Monday-Thursday is off the table cause the NFL and NBA. Saturday is UFC. Friday is the last free day and he needs to just make it live and 2hrs going up against Smackdown. Make the show as good or more than Dynamite to compete.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So are we back on this narrative that AEW is now gonna die soon so that we're back to one wrestling promotion in the US just because Rampage is still lacking and WWE is finally sweeping out the remainder of Vince McMahon's shit?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Monday-Thursday is off the table cause the NFL and NBA. Saturday is UFC. Friday is the last free day and he needs to just make it live and 2hrs going up against Smackdown. Make the show as good or more than Dynamite to compete.
Wow

Well i dont see that happening with hhh in charge. Wwe is also killing it with celebrities and cross media exposure

Really feel like aew needs a proper second show

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
My whole thing is if Smackdown viewership is not really tied to AEW then they should be able to find their own audience. I couldn't care less about them going against WWE. But if that's the only timeslot and day you got to work with make it worth seeing.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I could only see Rampage going up against Smackdown with the new TV deal. And in general we probably won't see any major changes until that new deal.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
AEW cannot be running two live two hour TV shows with their current TV deal.

AEW gets about 45 million a year for Dynamite, Rampage & Battle of the Belts. In comparison, WWE gets about 200 million just for RAW.

We shouldn't want AEW to stretch themselves too thin, or there won't be an AEW to watch anymore.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
AEW cannot be running two live two hour TV shows with their current TV deal.

AEW gets about 45 million a year for Dynamite, Rampage & Battle of the Belts. In comparison, WWE gets about 200 million just for RAW.

We shouldn't want AEW to stretch themselves too thin, or there won't be an AEW to watch anymore.
I always wanted AEW to just be two 2hr shows a week with specials now and again. There's so much talent and so many stories that can be told but, 3 fucking hours a week just ain't enough. Especially when that 3rd hour is a show most are skipping out on due it's time slot and it being taped. No one is gonna take the show serious even when the champion is on it at this point. It's close to being WWE's Main Event equivalent sadly.

View: https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1556732722231517190?s=20&t=Xb_1pM1_V8bJ3TmgVHifhg

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
kanyx1vrnig91.jpg

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Mild monday hype for wingmen vs Lucha brothers. But we know how elevation goes. Not a lot of elevating.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
I mean this what Kenny and the bucks have been doing for years. In New Japan the elite became the top stable just off those guys ability.

Ahh interesting, thanks. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about that period, aside from which Kenny matches were a must-see deal.

I always just wanted AEW to just be two 2hr shows a week with specials now and again. There's so much talent and so many stories that can be told but, 3 fucking hours a week just ain't enough. Especially when that 3rd hour is a show most are skipping out on due it's time slot and it being taped. No one is gonna take the show serious even when the champion is on it at this point. It's close to being WWE's Main Event equivalent sadly.

I still never miss a Rampage but this is pretty much how I would prefer it to be, or more accurately what I'd prefer it to become - Rampage growing out into its own 2hr show. I think it would have some really interesting logistical ramifications behind the scenes at AEW which would lead to a better product overall, even if Rampage remains stuck in a terrible timeslot.

For example, if Rampage is twice as long they can't cram all these shows into one taping anymore, so Rampage becomes a separate ticketed event. That means it has to promoted as an event worth seeing - ie booked strongly. Holding Dynamite and Rampage in different cities encourages separate crews and rosters working each show, so much more of the roster gets utilised on a weekly basis. Not a full-on brand split per say (bleh), but basically twice as many live shows.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh interesting, thanks. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about that period, aside from which Kenny matches were a must-see deal.

I still never miss a Rampage but this is pretty much how I would prefer it to be, or more accurately what I'd prefer it to become - Rampage growing out into its own 2hr show. I think it would have some really interesting logistical ramifications behind the scenes at AEW which would lead to a better product overall, even if Rampage remains stuck in a terrible timeslot.

For example, if Rampage is twice as long they can't cram all these shows into one taping anymore, so Rampage becomes a separate ticketed event. That means it has to promoted as an event worth seeing - ie booked strongly. Holding Dynamite and Rampage in different cities encourages separate crews and rosters working each show, so much more of the roster gets utilised on a weekly basis. Not a full-on brand split per say (bleh), but basically twice as many live shows.
Yeah I don't want no brand splits. Just a continuous show with story fallout from Dynamite to follow and extra stories being told/build.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
After watching so much EVO this weekend which felt electric, fresh and exciting AEW and pro wrestling fells so stale, and boring.

Push Sonny Kiss cowards!!!!

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
regal's opinion on all the discussion surrounding dark and rampage

wrestlingnews.co

William Regal told an AEW wrestler to stop worrying about what people are saying on Twitter

On the latest "Gentleman Villain" podcast, AEW's William Regal gave his viewpoint when wrestlers think they’re over because they’re getting responses on

I get what he's saying but I also get other people being worried about those two shows
Who's he talking about here that thinks they're over because 20 people on Twitter comment about their Dark performance?

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamite has been the same as always. Some great things, some garbage things, some good things and some meh things. There isn't such a thing as a perfect wrestling show because everyone has a preferred style of Wrestling.

Rampage was dead on arrival. It was never going to succeed as a taped 1 hour show on Friday at 10PM. No idea why pundits and fans even discuss it. They could put CM Punk vs Bryan Danielson in a 60min ironman match and it won't hit the ratings that people would expect.

It's Friday night, people are doing other things then watching TV.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
If these last few weeks have taught me anything, it's that most wrassling fans don't actually enjoy wrassling. They just like to ride the wave of hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.