• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I would think 200 million is the most AEW could possibly get. But realistically they'd be totally fine with 150 million. Think if they get anything under 100 million they'd be in a rougher spot than they'd want to be when it comes to contract negotiations with talent.
It's tough to say because I think TK is gonna push for them to take at least one more show as part of the renewal. Likely ROH.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
There is definitely a range at which the money AEW gets is substantially more than they have had already and would improve the company substantially, and yet would be considered disappointing considering their level of success.

So I'm hopeful that AEW will be okay even if they don't get the level of increase they want/deserve.

However one thing I worry from taking a leaner deal with WB and "toughing it out" (while enjoying a bigger budget anyway), is that TK will have less or a war chest to protect his stars when WWE comes knocking.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
According to my sources, this is Rampage, baby.
AEW-Rampage-5-August-2022.jpg

Madison-Rayne-Debuts-in-AEW.jpg

preview-aew-rampage-5-aout-2022.jpg

May your Friday be very nice and
very evil. WATCH RAMPAGE AT 10PM EST TONIGHT ON TNT! IT'S GOING TO BE ONE OF OUR MOST ACTION-PACKED CARDS EVER! AND DON'T FORGET THAT THE STAR-STUDDED BATTLE OF THE BELTS III IS TOMORROW NIGHT, ALSO ON TNT! AEW X WARNER/DISCOVERY! A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN! WE GOT THE SHOWS THAT YOU BEEN WAITIN' ON!

Cookiedoh85

Oct 29, 2017
Someone has to lose a belt this weekend. I'm up for volunteers.
I was kind of surprised they didn't hold off the FTW title change till this weekend - I know peoples opinion of the belt varies but a title change is a title change and AEW have still promoted the title change since so would have made this weekends show newsworthy.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of surprised they didn't hold off the FTW title change till this weekend - I know peoples opinion of the belt varies but a title change is a title change and AEW have still promoted the title change since so would have made this weekends show newsworthy.

I think Hayter winning will be newsworthy enough.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think Jericho is going to take the belt next week and then drop it to Punk when he returns. Who's with me?

I don't know if he will, but I think he should. You can either do Jericho Punk at All Out, or a rematch or vs a new opponent and it'll be much more interesting. I really love Mox, but I feel that the Interim championship feels too hard to believe in anyone winning it before Punk. Jericho taking it will bring that uncertainty into the title scene.

Also I don't think that making the world titles long reigns as a mandate is a good idea. Sometimes it's cool to see championship change hands sooner than later.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jericho is going to take the belt next week and then drop it to Punk when he returns. Who's with me?

I mean, I don't think I would do that. I guessing the major AEW audience wants to see how a returning CM Punk will fare well versus a resurgent Moxley. Although I think a Jericho vs. Punk, even though we saw this at WWE, could be interesting without the abundant scripting and filters. I think Jericho will face Bryan Danielson or something at AEW All Out.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
Gotta imagine TK would be disappointed with $175m.

I don't see how he could be disappointed. That's a fantastic increase for a wrestling company that is less than 5 years old. The company is supposedly profitable (minus the game expenses) with their current deal and that's with the likes of Mox, Jericho, Danielson & Punk on their roster. The extra money could definitely be used to boost production, rent bigger arenas, get a second hour added to Rampage, get more talent. Lots of great stuff can be used with that money.

You gotta also remember, this is just for TV. PPV revenue, merch sales and anything else wouldn't be apart of this deal and would only add to the value of AEW.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I was dead against Punk taking the belt off Hangman, but now I'm super hyped for a potential Mox vs Punk or even a Jericho vs Punk feud. Either of those could produce some incredible promo moments, even if I wouldn't care for the actual match.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta imagine TK would be disappointed with $175m.

I mean that's a quadruple increase in revenue there. It's nothing to scoff at all. Sure AEW has some global reach but it still pales to comparison with WWE. I think Tony is hoping the increase of TV revenue would increase by 5 max when it's time for negotiations. Then probably do minimal increments afterwards unless he finds another network suitor.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more interested in a Punk/Mox program than a Punk/Jericho program. I feel like Punk/Jericho would be kind of similar to Mox/Jericho: the cool, confident face dunking on the cocky, comedy geek heel. Not saying it can't be good, but the Punk/Mox dynamic looks more fresh on paper.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more interested in a Punk/Mox program than a Punk/Jericho program. I feel like Punk/Jericho would be kind of similar to Mox/Jericho: the cool, confident face dunking on the cocky, comedy geek heel. Not saying it can't be good, but the Punk/Mox dynamic looks more fresh on paper.

While I agree it's a better match up, I think Mox v Punk is risking the audience turning on Punk (unless TK wants that.) It would be Mox, the fighting champ who had one of the best title runs that technically doesn't count vs the guy who broke is foot on day one. I love Punk but Mox just proved he earned a run that counts.

I think Jericho taking the belt from Mox and then dropping it to Punk softens the blow.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree it's a better match up, I think Mox v Punk is risking the audience turning on Punk (unless TK wants that.) It would be Mox, the fighting champ who had one of the best title runs that technically doesn't count vs the guy who broke is foot on day one. I love Punk but Mox just proved he earned a run that counts.

I think Jericho taking the belt from Mox and then dropping it to Punk softens the blow.

Then don't soften the blow. That honestly wouldn't be a bad hook for a Punk title run. Keep him face and keep it going, but force the crowd to choose sides by making all his major programs face-face. Then he finally loses (to Eddie!) and shows his true colors by turning heel. Would be so easy to blame the fans at that point with some real "you've never been fully behind me" energy. Keeps him highly relevant after dropping the belt.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Jericho takes the belt from Mox
Punk doesn't come back at All Out
It's Jericho vs Danielson at All Out
Danielson wins
It's Punk vs Danielson at Full Gear

Book it.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Honestly, I'd be far more interested in a Punk title run if he was heel. So the crowd turning on him because of Mox would be fine with me.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

I don't know if he's dropping it to Punk, but I do see Jericho winning next week. Even if Mox wins it back at All Out, it makes the interim world title picture more interesting than waiting around for Punk to come back.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
I can't believe y'all are selling me on Jericho winning the title on wednesday. It would shake things up, but I love Mox and don't want his run to end so soon.

However, a Jericho vs Punk feud would be pretty good. I remember really liking their WWE feud a lot, so if it's as good as that, then I'd accept it.

If Jericho wins, then what happens with Mox? Rematch at All Out?

Wait... the Jericho/Kingston feud is tied up. Both have a win over one another. What If it's building to Jericho vs Kingston at Arthur Ashe for the World Championship ... and Eddie wins!!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I can't believe y'all are selling me on Jericho winning the title on wednesday. It would shake things up, but I love Mox and don't want his run to end so soon.

However, a Jericho vs Punk feud would be pretty good. I remember really liking their WWE feud a lot, so if it's as good as that, then I'd accept it.

Wait... the Jericho/Kingston feud is tied up. Both have a win over one another. What If it's building to Jericho vs Kingston at Arthur Ashe for the World Championship ... and Eddie wins!!
Before Punk (and Danielson) got injured, they were seemingly building to Moxley and Danielson challenging for the tag titles since they were in the tag rankings.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Giving the belt to Jericho does nothign to push any storyline and Jericho vs Punk is meh. Mox vs Punk for "who is the face of AEW" is very interesting and can give you easy ways to keep both babyface or turn one of them heel (which AEW needs a new top heel tbh, Jericho is not that right now).
If Punk is not coming soon, Mox vs Danielsson is a better match for a PPV (and with an interesting storyline implication for their faction tho considering their gimmick it would be easy to say "show who is the strongest"), and Danielsson vs Punk is again a better match for storyline reasons than Jericho vs Punk.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

You also have Bryan Danielson looming because Jericho, and Hager I guess, stated they were the reason Bryan had a concussion. I hate Jericho but it would make the most sense to regain the title, making Mox vs Jericho tied at 1-1 and also it opens up potential roads it can lead to.

I don't think CM Punk may wrestle at All Out. The reports stated his foot was smashed into pieces so it's going to be a long while until he gets back.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Hey guys, I mainly lurk, but I've got a question for those who know these things better than me. I have tickets to Rampage + Battle of the Belts tonight, and it says the show starts at 8:00 PM EST but the show itself airs at 10:00. When they say it starts at 8:00, should I expect it to actually start around then? Is there a two hour tape delay, or would this mean they probably record Battle of the Belts first?

Edit: or am I wrong about when it airs?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I mainly lurk, but I've got a question for those who know these things better than me. I have tickets to Rampage + Battle of the Belts tonight, and it says the show starts at 8:00 PM EST but the show itself airs at 10:00. When they say it starts at 8:00, should I expect it to actually start around then? Is there a two hour tape delay, or would this mean they probably record Battle of the Belts first?

Edit: or am I wrong about when it airs?

They'll record belts first, then go live with rampage at 10 exactly, then have some dark matches after.

Get there before 8.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
Before Punk (and Danielson) got injured, they were seemingly building to Moxley and Danielson challenging for the tag titles since they were in the tag rankings.

That's a fun idea down the line. I personally wouldn't want to end Swerve In Our Glory's reign too soon. Plus the next champs should either be FTR or The Acclaimed

I don't think CM Punk may wrestle at All Out. The reports stated his foot was smashed into pieces so it's going to be a long while until he gets back.

If Punk isn't back by Arthur Ashe, this would blow the roof off.

It wouldn't surprise me if Punk isn't cleared until after Arthur Ashe. The injury seems nasty and it'll probably take awhile until he's 100% (I imagine a good amount of rehab is in store for him as well)

I'd personally save the title unification until Full Gear. Post Arthur Ashe, there's about six weeks or so until Full Gear, so not too long of a wait (especially if you build up the match as well)

Plus I hyped up myself too much for the Jericho vs Kingston match now lol

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Ok

Hear me out

Punk isn't ready to come back in time for All Out

Placeholder main event:

Mox vs Okada

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021

How dare you make me want Jericho to win next week! But for real, whenever it happens, Eddie's first title win has to be at Arthur Ashe.

Dropped a new vid today some folks here might enjoy. Christian Cage shoots on Hamlet and his dad in it. :)

View: https://youtu.be/RAW_Zacm0SM

I don't see Taz ever wrestling again, even as a one-off. Maybe I'm a mark but I believe him when he says he's done. (Also it feels like he would've come back already otherwise.) Fantastic video, regardless. I can't wait to see where these guys are in a few years.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

I need this now

Status
Not open for further replies.