• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the Christian promo and Luchasaurus regear more than the blood and guts match which I had to wake myself up a couple of times to watch. Granted it was more awkward because of Santana getting injured and that threw off the match, and I saw that failed attempt to get the bottle of rubbing alcohol/substance through the cage which took away another spot. It just seemed slow and aimless, all the build up and I don't think it delivered the Eddie/Jericho ferocity. I should probably watch it again.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I enjoyed the Christian promo and Luchasaurus regear more than the blood and guts match which I had to wake myself up a couple of times to watch. Granted it was more awkward because of Santana getting injured and that threw off the match, and I saw that failed attempt to get the bottle of rubbing alcohol/substance through the cage which took away another spot. It just seemed slow and aimless, all the build up and I don't think it delivered the Eddie/Jericho ferocity. I should probably watch it again.
I'm with you on that. I kept thinking "don't tell me the entire second half of the show is just the Blood and guts match".
I don't think it needed to be that long. I get that Santana's injury didn't help, but still.

Nov 5, 2017
Were the rules stated before Blood & Guts something last year? That definitely added to the length this year. Match didn't officially start until practically a half hour in. I vaguely remember they just all beat the shit out of each other once the bell rang but I could be mistaken.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Were the rules stated before Blood & Guts something last year? That definitely added to the length this year. Match didn't officially start until practically a half hour in. I vaguely remember they just all beat the shit out of each other once the bell rang but I could be mistaken.
The intervals were different but the rules were basically the same. Match doesn't start until everyone is in. Submit or surrender to win.

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't last year's Blood & Guts match also 5 on 5 instead of 6 on 6 like this year? That would add like an extra 10 mins for the actual match to begin with the 2 extra people waiting to get in.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up with forbidden door and blood and guts. A lot of good wrestling. Blackpool combat club is the best faction.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017

So I haven't really been keeping up with the wrestling world or watching AEW over the past few months. I don't have cable and I cut Sling off of my budget for the time being.

Today when I woke up I put on my Eddie Kingston t-shirt that I got last year when I watched regularly.
I didn't think much of it because it's sort of just looks like a generic tough guy irish/gangsta shirt. I live in NH, 100 or so miles north of Boston, so stuff like this is fairly common. There's one coworker who I knew watched AEW but don't really know that much. He saw my t-shirt and immediately asked "did you see Blood and Guts last night?" I said no, and he said that I had to and it was so gruesome and crazy.

I thought that was gonna be it. I usually don't see people know about this stuff IRL, if you know what I mean. Wrestling to me has sort have been one of those things I only talk about online. When I do talk about it with some people, I'm usually the one introducing it to them. I was still getting used to the fact that I was working with an AEW fan, information I had only learned like a week or two ago. I went on with my work day.

Then, on the way home, I stopped at a gas station. This gas station is one of my faves right now because it's already cheaper than other places, and if you go inside it's 10 cents cheaper. It's like one of those gas rewards programs, except it's literally just walking inside. There's always one guy at the register, kind of an older man, and I never really heard him talk much.
Right when I walked in, he saw my shirt and immediately said "MAD KIIIING!!!!!" in a very British accent and offered me a fist bump (I never knew he was British given that we had never really talked before). He then also asked if I had seen the match last night. I told him no, and he insisted that I had to watch it.

He then told me about how much he loved Eddie. He said when he first watched his first match with Cody he though "Someone needs to tell this man that this is fake!" I chuckled and agreed that his passion in promos is awesome.

He said that he still wanted to get his signature and William Regal's, as he already had Bryan Danielson's and Jon Moxley's. Or maybe it was the other way around. He also told me that he had Danhausen's signature because he "just loves him."

I left fairly soon after that as I had to go home. As I was walking out he made the Danhausen pose and said to me "A curse upon anyone who disrespects the Mad King!"
So yeah, today was sort of a weird day that I felt I had to write about. I'm watching that episode now, but haven't reached the main event yet.

Eddie is loved worldwide yall.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA

So I haven't really been keeping up with the wrestling world or watching AEW over the past few months. I don't have cable and I cut Sling off of my budget for the time being.

Today when I woke up I put on my Eddie Kingston t-shirt that I got last year when I watched regularly.
I didn't think much of it because it's sort of just looks like a generic tough guy irish/gangsta shirt. I live in NH, 100 or so miles north of Boston, so stuff like this is fairly common. There's one coworker who I knew watched AEW but don't really know that much. He saw my t-shirt and immediately asked "did you see Blood and Guts last night?" I said no, and he said that I had to and it was so gruesome and crazy.

I thought that was gonna be it. I usually don't see people know about this stuff IRL, if you know what I mean. Wrestling to me has sort have been one of those things I only talk about online. When I do talk about it with some people, I'm usually the one introducing it to them. I was still getting used to the fact that I was working with an AEW fan, information I had only learned like a week or two ago. I went on with my work day.

Then, on the way home, I stopped at a gas station. This gas station is one of my faves right now because it's already cheaper than other places, and if you go inside it's 10 cents cheaper. It's like one of those gas rewards programs, except it's literally just walking inside. There's always one guy at the register, kind of an older man, and I never really heard him talk much.
Right when I walked in, he saw my shirt and immediately said "MAD KIIIING!!!!!" in a very British accent and offered me a fist bump (I never knew he was British given that we had never really talked before). He then also asked if I had seen the match last night. I told him no, and he insisted that I had to watch it.

He then told me about how much he loved Eddie. He said when he first watched his first match with Cody he though "Someone needs to tell this man that this is fake!" I chuckled and agreed that his passion in promos is awesome.

He said that he still wanted to get his signature and William Regal's, as he already had Bryan Danielson's and Jon Moxley's. Or maybe it was the other way around. He also told me that he had Danhausen's signature because he "just loves him."

I left fairly soon after that as I had to go home. As I was walking out he made the Danhausen pose and said to me "A curse upon anyone who disrespects the Mad King!"
So yeah, today was sort of a weird day that I felt I had to write about. I'm watching that episode now, but haven't reached the main event yet.

Eddie is loved worldwide yall.

As a long time Eddie Kingston fan, this just warms my heart. I'm so glad he's finally getting the respect and recognition he deserves.

Fun Fact: I went to Tournament of Death in 2005 (A Deathmatch tournament from CZW) and Eddie was in the tournament. It was a Fans Bring the Weapons match and Eddie used the weapon I brought. It was a guitar with light bulbs on it. Two years prior I also brought a weapon that actually ended a match (Guitar with thumbtacks on the back. Notice a theme lol)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hope this isn't against the thread rules but Brian Zane of Wrestling with Wregret has posted his Blood and Guts review and I wanted to get more eyes on it.

Brian Zane is the only wrestling YouTuber I'm even remotely interested in following, or even feel safe following as a queer person.

He's someone who's worked in the business, and has even cut off his kayfabe dad (Jim Cornette) for his his hate on "comedy wrestling" and later called out his homophobia. And a friend he's know for years (Biggs) for there views on trans people. Who was actively a part of his podcast and doing reviews on his channel.

Some of his older stuff is a bit questionable at times, but he grew up in the Attitude Era so I forgive him. He's been doing this for 11 years and is the caretaker of the YouTube championship belt for POW! Pro Wrestling.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I haven't seen Dynamite yet but I've seen images from the show and I still don't like the Blood & Guts cage. It's just way too tall. It feels like an ill conceived WarGames knockoff. And it looks like some amount of the match ended up occurring on the top of the cage which just isn't WarGames. That just really feels like they tried to smash Hell in a Cell and WarGames together and on paper that sounds great but last year found the reality of that to be less than exciting.

I feel like the ceiling of the cage being so low played a big part in adding to the chaos of WarGames but between the Blood & Guts cage being so tall and AEW's rings being so large compared to WCW's I remember the cage in last years match feeling big and empty even once everyone was in. So they either need to lower the roof or keep the roof the height as it is but have the match in a single ring instead of two and making both of these changes would probably be too much.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hope this isn't against the thread rules but Brian Zane of Wrestling with Wregret has posted his Blood and Guts review and I wanted to get more eyes on it.

Brian Zane is the only wrestling YouTuber I'm even remotely interested in following, or even feel safe following as a queer person.

He's someone who's worked in the business, and has even cut off his kayfabe dad (Jim Cornette) for his his hate on "comedy wrestling" and later called out his homophobia. And a friend he's know for years (Biggs) for there views on trans people. Who was actively a part of his podcast and doing reviews on his channel.

Some of his older stuff is a bit questionable at times, but he grew up in the Attitude Era so I forgive him. He's been doing this for 11 years and is the caretaker of the YouTube championship belt for POW! Pro Wrestling.

Can recommend Simon Miller's Ups and Downs. He is a good one. He's going to be in a battle royale soon with Commander Sterling and Kidd Bandit. Very wholesome, and handsome too.

I like what I've seen of Brian Zane though.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Some of the comments under this post. LOL.

"So what?"
"Why is this on TMZ?"
"Foley's was better. No crash pads."

I generally kick it positive, but some people are really dumb and/or try super hard to be cool.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Pride month is over. Now I don't gotta post that flag anymore, right?

Oops, I'm doubling down! AE-DubERA is for everyone! ❤️

It's Friday. You know what that means. 🧡🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

This pic got a big old belly laugh from me. Riho's the best.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018

Brian's great, and honestly his stuff is pretty much the first place I go to when I'm looking for reactions to new AEW content, in large part for precisely the reasons you describe.

And let's also not forget how, when asked personally by the Insane Clown Posse to review some old JCW content, not only did Zane give a completely fair, critical review, he specifically called them out for their oftentimes homophobic and ableist "jokes" on commentary.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
WON ratings for Forbidden Door courtesy of Reddit:
  • The Jericho Appreciation Society vs. Shota Umino, Wheeler Yuta & Eddie Kingston – ****3/4
  • FTR vs. United Empire vs. Roppongi Vice – ****1/2
  • PAC vs. Miro vs. Clark Connors vs. Malakai Black – ****1/2
  • Darby Allin, Shingo Takagi & Sting vs. The Young Bucks & El Phantasmo – ****1/2
  • Thunder Rosa vs. Toni Storm – ***1/2
  • Will Ospreay vs. Orange Cassidy – ****3/4
  • Claudio vs Zack Sabre Jr - ****1/2
  • Jay White vs. Kazuchika Okada vs. Adam Cole vs. Adam Page – ****1/2
  • Jon Moxley vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi – ****1/2
No 5 stars (Orange was robbed!) but a hell of an average score.

EDIT: Plus some bonus ratings:
  • Andrade vs Rey Fenix from last week's Rampage – ****1/4
  • Blood & Guts – ****3/4
We've been spoiled this week, utterly spoiled!

Last edited:

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
Man I really hate fractional star ratings. If you're going to regularly score half or quarter stars then just up the scale to ten or a hundred.
The point of 5 stars is that they give plenty of wiggle room so that someone's 4 stars could be another's 3 or 5 stars depending on taste or even how the reviewer is feeling that day.

Otherwise put me on team MJF and Christian. There's space for more than one top heel in a company.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man I really hate fractional star ratings. If you're going to regularly score half or quarter stars then just up the scale to ten or a hundred.
The point of 5 stars is that they give plenty of wiggle room so that someone's 4 stars could be another's 3 or 5 stars depending on taste or even how the reviewer is feeling that day.

Otherwise put me on team MJF and Christian. There's space for more than one top heel in a company.
I agree.

In fact, I think getting down to that granular is pointless because you really can't differentiate that much between an infinite amount of things comparing against each other.

Just do a 5 star ranking system where:

5 - fantastic, must watch
4 - some small issues but still great
3 - good
2 - not good but ok
1 - very bad

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I've just noticed that Fite have been billing me the monthly amount for AEW Plus every week to the day for the last few months. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've sent a support ticket (I'd really rather a phone number because I've been ghosted on stuff like this before), but given its the weekend I dont know if anything is going to get sorted. I'm thinking I might have to cancel it next week for a couple months to see if all of the billing stops, which is going to suck.

I guess ITV is an option here in the UK, but that is far from ideal.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I say go full chaos. Rate a match 4.1 1/2 stars out of 5 stars. lol

Started watching Dynamite on NJPW World and was baffled. When I watched Rampage on there it did not skip over PiP ad breaks but when I started watching Dynamite it did. So I guess AEW has started sending NJPW the FITE feed for Rampage but is still sending them the TBS On Demand feed for Dynamite? Weird. And annoying. Good thing I haven't dropped my AEW+ sub yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Man with Cole injured and all these injuries, wrestling sure needs an off season don't it lol?

I say put the strap back on Page or elevate ppl like Andrade to the main event. Don't rush the MJF angle but ideally as soon as they can get the belt on him the better

It would fit MJF also and prevent him from getting injured since he'd be a heel who'd refuse to wrestle every week like most AEW champs do

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
  • The Jericho Appreciation Society vs. Shota Umino, Wheeler Yuta & Eddie Kingston – ****3/4
  • Darby Allin, Shingo Takagi & Sting vs. The Young Bucks & El Phantasmo – ****1/2

• Blood & Guts – ****3/4

Imagine how many people are seething seeing this. 😂 Some are higher than my personal feelings about the matches, but in the end, it's fine and just fun to BS about.

Going by these ratings, this is probably the greatest PPV in pro wrestling history for Dave. I've never seen a show with this level of match quality praise from him.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

In fact, I think getting down to that granular is pointless because you really can't differentiate that much between an infinite amount of things comparing against each other.

Just do a 5 star ranking system where:

5 - fantastic, must watch
4 - some small issues but still great
3 - good
2 - not good but ok
1 - very bad

Goodreads is strictly whole stars from 1-5 and it means I end up rating almost everything 4 stars and I hate that. I don't finish anything under a 3, and 5s are rare.

Dave's thing is that these days there are more 4-5 star matches than ever, there's need for more granularity in that space.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Goodreads is strictly whole stars from 1-5 and it means I end up rating almost everything 4 stars and I hate that. I don't finish anything under a 3, and 5s are rare.

Dave's thing is that these days there are more 4-5 star matches than ever, there's need for more granularity in that space.
But then isn't that just a reflection of the average quality being higher?

You can either adjust your rating system to accommodate the higher standards or accept that things are just better than they used to be.

When you start splittings things too much it just gets ridiculous and causes issues with ranking things against each other.

For me, ratings systems should be to judge something on its own worth, and not a way for you to rank it against other things.

I have played thousands of games in 30+ years and the idea of me being able to rank something as the best and be able to rank all the top ones against each other and it actually meaning something or being a list that I wouldn't change depending on my mood etc is completely ridiculous.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
But then isn't that just a reflection of the average quality being higher?

You can either adjust your rating system to accommodate the higher standards or accept that things are just better than they used to be.

When you start splittings things too much it just gets ridiculous and causes issues with ranking things against each other.

For me, ratings systems should be to judge something on its own worth, and not a way for you to rank it against other things.

I have played thousands of games in 30+ years and the idea of me being able to rank something as the best and be able to rank all the top ones against each other and it actually meaning something or being a list that I wouldn't change depending on my mood etc is completely ridiculous.

Right but there's a distinct difference between a 4 and a 4.5 and a 5 star match. I dunno if the quarter stars are meaningful but flatting down to just 5 doesn't make sense to me at all.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Right but there's a distinct difference between a 4 and a 4.5 and a 5 star match. I dunno if the quarter stars are meaningful but flatting down to just 5 doesn't make sense to me at all.
For me there simply isn't a need for a 4.5.

Nothing is perfect and so a 5 is something that is fantastic and worth your time. A 4 is something that is great but has a few issues that stop it being a 5.

What does a 4.5 represent?

Also, you bring up nothing going below a 3 but if you introduce half/quarter stars, you still end up with the bottom end of the system being rarely used.

Of course this is all personal perspective and if others feel different that's perfectly fine but I'm just explaining from my perspective.

I just think getting too granular in ratings does nothing but cause additional arguments and unnecessary detail. The point of a rating is to get across the quality of a thing and being as simple as possible whilst being deep enough to give you some flexibility is important.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Think i'm skipping Rampage tonight, all these sub 5 star ratings have really soured things. I thought some matches were good, but now I know they were not and I can't trust myself to judge anything anymore. Hope everyone tunes in tonight at 10pm est on TNT for Rampage though. Except me.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does a 4.5 represent?

This is what Dave said it represents (in 1985)

Briefly, a dud match is one without any redeeming social value. Five stars is for something stupendous. I may see eight or nine five star matches per year. A negative rating means not only was the match worthless, but obnoxiously bad. 0.5 is for a terrible match, but at least there was a high spot or something. 1 is a bad match, 1.5 is below average but tolerable; 2 average, 2.5 kind of good; 3 Quite good; 3.5 almost great; 4 excellent; 4.5 better than you can ask for.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is what Dave said it represents (in 1985)
These are ridiculously vague and not in a particularly useful way.

It also seems out of date considering how often he has broken his scale now and he has himself acknowledged that he grades on a scale depending on the company, crowd participation etc.

Ultimately people should just judge things themselves and not rely or even care about what other people rank them as l.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately people should just judge things themselves and not rely or even care about what other people rank them as l.

I mean, you clearly care enough about how he ranks matches to devote multiple posts to telling everyone how bad his system is. If you don't like the way he does it, and don't care about how other people judge matches, they're very easy to ignore.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I get wrasslers wanting praise/validation for what they do. But yeah, I don't need anyone to tell me we got two MOTY contenders in OC/Ospreay and Takeshita/Moriarty in the span of a few weeks. I watched them. They indisputably are.

Think i'm skipping Rampage tonight, all these sub 5 star ratings have really soured things. I thought some matches were good, but now I know they were not and I can't trust myself to judge anything anymore. Hope everyone tunes in tonight at 10pm est on TNT for Rampage though. Except me.

Lol

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, you clearly care enough about how he ranks matches to devote multiple posts to telling everyone how bad his system is. If you don't like the way he does it, and don't care about how other people judge matches, they're very easy to ignore.
I don't care about what scores he ranks matches, he could give something I think is a 5 a 1 and it wouldn't be a problem at all.

My issue is how much weight is given to rankings in general and how much discussion revolves around the personal opinion only one person.

Also the only reason I kept responding was because I was explaining my position and I even stated that everyone is entitled to rank things how they feel is best. I just personally don't see the worth in putting so much weight into one person's rankings and also personally don't think getting as granular is worth it.

That's all.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017

• Blood & Guts – ****3/4
If the PPV took place in the Tokyo Dome the floor would've been 5*.

Everyone knows the rules.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I've just noticed that Fite have been billing me the monthly amount for AEW Plus every week to the day for the last few months. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've sent a support ticket (I'd really rather a phone number because I've been ghosted on stuff like this before), but given its the weekend I dont know if anything is going to get sorted. I'm thinking I might have to cancel it next week for a couple months to see if all of the billing stops, which is going to suck.

I guess ITV is an option here in the UK, but that is far from ideal.

I'm assuming you pay for AEW+ through Fite itself over say Roku or FireTV. Can't say that's happened to me, i am usually right on to what goes in/out of my account each month. I pay for + through Amazon (about £3.80 a month). I would support AEW on ITV, but it's not reliable enough as they keep changing what night they air Dynamite and Rampage, and what length it is.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of 5 stars is def Meltzer's revenge because he was harping on the lack of build.

Never mind that it was more build than NJPW matches ever get and Meltzer never criticizes those matches for not having enough story.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm assuming you pay for AEW+ through Fite itself over say Roku or FireTV. Can't say that's happened to me, i am usually right on to what goes in/out of my account each month. I pay for + through Amazon (about £3.80 a month). I would support AEW on ITV, but it's not reliable enough as they keep changing what night they air Dynamite and Rampage, and what length it is.

Yeah, via Amazon. I've no idea why this is happening. It's super weird.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Yeah, via Amazon. I've no idea why this is happening. It's super weird.

Did you raise a ticket via Amazon or Fite?.

Slightly off-topic, but had an issue with accessing the Snooker through Discovery+ via Amazon, they believed i wasn't in the right region. Made the Amazon rep laugh when i explained not only am i in the right region, but i'm staring at the venue the event is on (i live literally 10 minutes from where they hold the Welsh Open each year).

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Did you raise a ticket via Amazon or Fite?.

Slightly off-topic, but had an issue with accessing the Snooker through Discovery+ via Amazon, they believed i wasn't in the right region. Made the Amazon rep laugh when i explained not only am i in the right region, but i'm staring at the venue the event is on (i live literally 10 minutes from where they hold the Welsh Open each year).

Yeah, did do. We'll see if they get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.