• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
*Edit: Damn you Unlocked Andrew

Seeing on Twitter that there is conflicting info on the Rosa situation.

PW insider say that she was at the taping but felt unwell and so was sent home

Whatculture are reporting that they have been told she is simply wasn't used and has been very frustrated with her recent usage since becoming champion.

Personally I would trust PW insider a lot more than whatculture but figured I would share it since it saw them mentioned together.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
They haven't put the promo on YouTube, even though it would easily get 1+ million views. They are really going strong with this MJF/Tony situation.

Oct 8, 2019
Its really insane that in a matter of days it looked like Wardlow was a future star to being a complete afterthought because AEW wants to recreate this angle

vince-mcmahon-double-bird.jpg

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Said in the ratings thread, not amazing total viewers but still the best in nearly 2 months.

Demo ratings are good though and they are pretty close to raw and Smackdown at the moment.
Yeah I don't think AEW has anything to worry about it. Ratings are insanely stable and Demo is always good.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking MJF is going to take some time off to deal with personal matters. Basing this off of nothing but a hunch.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's pretty wild that every champion got a spot last night except Thunder Rosa. Rosa and Deeb put on the best match of DoN. Surely they could find a spot for their WORLD champion.

Separate from that, can't say I agree with the idea (indirectly) floated ITT that if you recently worked at WWE before AEW you're not allowed to be imperfect (or in Athena's case, physically shorter than other people), but if you're an AEW original you can just be mediocre for years and it's totally fine. Like I'm sorry but how can WWE simultaneously be the drizzling shits, but if you left there for AEW the expectation is that you must be the very top tier of the industry?

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
So MJF was removed from the AEW roster page, from the shop and from the results on the official website.

Edit. I'm late. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Also said it in the ratings thread: Really strong boost in the demo this week (#2 behind NHL) but a pretty flat increase in total viewers, which feels disappointing given there was no NBA competition. Still, 0.40, which is the same as what Raw hour 3 did this week, is very good comparatively speaking.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The more I think about the MJF promo the more I wonder what the plan is. What are they building towards that I'm going to care about?

The one way out of this to keep him a mega heel is to subvert expectations and have Tony cave and give MJF a (kayfabe) deal where he gets all these perks.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Meltzer has gotten annoying with most of his takes. If it doesn't include his favorites it's always "I dunno how good this is for the company" but if it was one of his favorites he would be calling it the greatest promo of all time and a industry changing moment.

But back to positivity about last night. I love how far they are going with this MJF thing. I would keep him off TV now for a month or two and have him come and create chaos at All Out out of nowhere.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The more I think about the MJF promo the more I wonder what the plan is. What are they building towards that I'm going to care about?

The one way out of this to keep him a mega heel is to subvert expectations and have Tony cave and give MJF a (kayfabe) deal where he gets all these perks.
That's why I didn't really like the promo.

Even if you do an AEW vs ex WWE feud...a good amount of ex WWE people are faces and you don't want the crowd to boo the AEW guys in a feud like that

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Meltzer has gotten annoying with most of his takes. If it doesn't include his favorites it's always "I dunno how good this is for the company" but if it was one of his favorites he would be calling it the greatest promo of all time and a industry changing moment.

MJF is one of his favorites, he's always comparing him to Roddy Piper etc.
And he even said that it was a hell of a promo, but he has concerns about what it might mean in the long run if they lean too much on it.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

Even if you do an AEW vs ex WWE feud...a good amount of ex WWE people are faces and you don't want the crowd to boo the AEW guys in a feud like that
That can work if you get guys like MJF to work with guys like Starks, Hobbs and a heel Hangman along with Statlander and Shida.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Left his world champion off his big LA show with all the execs present. What did Tony think would happen? Clown shit.

Everyone there seems smarter than that, thankfully. MJF should come back next time and say he got his money, but he also got guaranteed main event at All Out. Basically meaning if Punk can hold the belt until then it'll be their tiebreaker rematch for the title in Chicago.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Enough is enough. TK needs to get folks to help him out because it's clear a lot of the roster is unhappy right now.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
MJF is one of his favorites, he's always comparing him to Roddy Piper etc.
And he even said that it was a hell of a promo, but he has concerns about what it might mean in the long run if they lean too much on it.
It's fine because its MJF the ultimate heel in the business. Would be different if it was someone else. I am not worried about MJF everything he does is top notch!

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
The issue with WWE is that the booking and stories didn't change.

They would go from story to story and there would be no logic or noticeable changes in who was pushed etc. and so the company/McMahons going from face to heel didn't really impact anything.

It's a little different in this situation since the whole issue stems from backstage stuff that doesn't effect the actual product as much and so it can be used as motivation. Fans are enjoying the product and AEW has a lot of goodwill with the fans, fans that typically will go with the product as long as it's good.

AEW also isn't as fixed on things having to be clear cut on who is a face and who is a heel and if fans cheer for someone they shouldn't, like Britt, AEW goes with it and acknowledges it but can continue telling the story they are doing without pretending the fans are reacting differently than they are.

AEW fans are also much more likely to play their part and boo people they should at key moments, even if they will be then chanting for them during a match.

Them potentially doing a AEW originals Vs ex WWE guys wouldn't particular hurt any of the WWE guys or the product because for the vast majority of them, they are being used well and the fans are into them.

It doesn't mean the story wouldn't have to be thought out well and make sense, but I feel if anyone could pull off a compelling story with this, it's AEW.

Just to clarify I was talking about how WWE would educate the fans to hate WCW then expect them to lap up Nitro on an episode of RAW. Sorry I was sat on a bench waiting for a friend to show up so wrote that pretty fast.

It's sad to see Rosa apparently upset considering how high she was on AEW initially.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Enough is enough. TK needs to get folks to help him out because it's clear a lot of the roster is unhappy right now.

I'm sure theres some issues but it seems the roster is generally happy.
www.fightful.com

Joey Janela Discusses Relationship With Tony Khan, How He Improved Communication In AEW | Fightful News

Joey Janela offers more insight into his AEW departure.
When asked if he heard from anyone after the interview, Janela said, "No, I heard Tony (Khan) was hot about it. It made him look bad, it made their talent relations look bad, but at the same time, it made them improve their communications with talent within that two-week period that I did that, communications were a lot better. I didn't hear from anyone. I heard people were upset, but talent was hitting me up from the company saying, 'You're 100% correct, you spoke up, you're correct and that was cool to take that risk.'"

Janela continued, explaining why he took the interview with Denise at the time.

"Denise wanted an interview and I said, 'Let's just do it. I've had it, I'm stressed out, frustrated.' It created a lot of good out of it and there is no...I haven't talk to Tony since. That's something that kind of irked me because we were so cool and after the AEW shows, when AEW first started, I would go out with him because he knew I would stay up until 7 in the morning with him drinking shots of tequila. I assume he's still irked by it, but there is no hard feelings on either side," he said. "There are no bridges burned between me and AEW. I'm friends with all the talent there. I'm in contact with all the talent. Tony has a hard job. He wears a lot of hats. He's not booking a traditional wrestling show, he has a huge roster, he's signed some of the greatest free agents in the world. You have three hours of TV a week. When you're not booking a traditional wrestling show and you want to book a TV show like a mini-pay-per-view every week, a lot of talent is not going to get time every week. They either have to sit and wait for something, sit out of the rotation, and go to work and be happy or they can try to pitch something, the creative route, or they can wait for stuff to come. Some of the guys there, they feel like they should be given more, which I believe a lot of guys are, but it's hard to book a wrestling show when you're booking it like a pay-per-view.

"Tony tries to make everyone happy. That work environment is fantastic. It's a fantastic work environment. Of course, all professional wrestling, especially on a mainstream level, there is going to be huge amount of politics. When you have 25-minute matches every week on the show, it's hard to fit everyone in. You're not going to make everyone happy, he tries to make everyone happy."

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Shit, Rosa had ONE match on TV ever since she won the belt lmao

March 13 Dynamite : wins the belt
April 14 Battle of the Belts : retains the belt

That's all

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Everyone there seems smarter than that, thankfully. MJF should come back next time and say he got his money, but he also got guaranteed main event at All Out. Basically meaning if Punk can hold the belt until then it'll be their tiebreaker rematch for the title in Chicago.
Yeah, for as much dumb stuff Tony Khan seemingly does, he is not WCW levels of dumb and neither are the wrestlers in AEW. So I think they at least know where they want to go with this. It's just a matter of executing it. It's just weird for now.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
You can't make everyone happy. Remember when the "news" sites complained that Tony books too many people in an episode of Dynamite? Well we can't have it both ways. Some people won't be happy, that's every job in the world. Tony can't please everyone like Janela says there. I think overall with how much talent he has, he is doing a great job.

Does he make mistakes 100% but who doesn't 🤷‍♂️

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure theres some issues but it seems the roster is generally happy.
www.fightful.com

Joey Janela Discusses Relationship With Tony Khan, How He Improved Communication In AEW | Fightful News

Joey Janela offers more insight into his AEW departure.
This seems to be the common sentiment from people at AEW. The work environment is great. Everyone gets along with each other. No toxicity among the wrestlers. But good luck getting any attention whatsoever if you're not Tony's flavor of the month. He'll act like you don't even exist and there's no real way for anyone to come back from that except for waiting or trying to leverage another wrestler who already has Tony's attention.

How many folk have said this or something similar already? Swole, Marko, Grayson, Jack Evans, and Janela, obviously, but also folk like FTR, Rosa, Kip, Kazarian, Sonny...

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Rosa hasn't been given the room to breathe on the shows. They did the same thing to Hangman after the Bryan feud. Just squeezed him in here and there. I'd be surprised if they did the same thing to Punk, though.

Anyway, that's all I'll say about it. Same old story.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Rosa hasn't been given the room to breathe on the shows. They did the same thing to Hangman after the Bryan feud. Just squeezed him in here and there. I'd be surprised if they did the same thing to Punk, though.

Yeah, and I guess part of my frustration at that is I really like Rosa and she brings a lot to the company. I just hate seeing her so potentially frustrated when they seem to have time for Britt every week.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just to clarify I was talking about how WWE would educate the fans to hate WCW then expect them to lap up Nitro on an episode of RAW. Sorry I was sat on a bench waiting for a friend to show up so wrote that pretty fast.

It's sad to see Rosa apparently upset considering how high she was on AEW initially.
Ah I see what you mean.

Honestly I don't think it would be a problem here if they did go down the Vs route because AEW fans typically Will cheer anyone they enjoy, even if they are heel. They also still play their part in furthering a story so I wouldn't expect any lasting damage done.

Interesting either way to see where it goes.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly that's been every Women's Champion from the start. Even Britt would just come out and ramble for no rhyme or reason. Tony has always had a problem with booking his World Champs. There is never any cohesive story behind the challengers for the belt.

It's always random person become #1 in the rankings and then challenges for the title. Champ wins then goes away until two weeks before the next PPV and whoever the next top ranked person is gets the title shot at the PPV, unless of course Tony feels like going crazy and books a triple death match or some crazy Death Match.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Left his world champion off his big LA show with all the execs present. What did Tony think would happen? Clown shit.

Except it's already confirmed that due to Forbidden Door, All Out likely won't be in Chicago

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly that's been every Women's Champion from the start. Even Britt would just come out and ramble for no rhyme or reason. Tony has always had a problem with booking his World Champs. There is never any cohesive story behind the challengers for the belt.

It's always random person become #1 in the rankings and then challenges for the title. Champ wins then goes away until two weeks before the next PPV and whoever the next top ranked person is gets the title shot at the PPV, unless of course Tony feels like going crazy and books a triple death match or some crazy Death Match.
The challengers were more of the focus for the past 2 tag title matches on PPV lol. JE were background characters despite being champs.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I also do think a lot of the talent just has trouble creating their own content. It really seems like the people that are on our screens are the once that are always throwing stuff at Tony. This is one of the negatives of the openness of AEW. But it's better then what the E has.

Status
Not open for further replies.