• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
are any of you convinced now more than ever that the MJF stuff is a work? I mean the fact that they have him Mic time after this last weekend tells me it's a work, right?

It's a shoot that turned into a work. The gripes he has are real, he's really the number two ratings getter, he really (was?) getting paid less than Mark Henry/Christian/Malakai, he really did ghost the meet & greet and there really was a plane booked (though we don't know by who)... clearly they found some common ground and decided to leverage this into a pipebomb redux.

In March it was a shoot, by last night it was a work. I'm inclined to believe it turned work on Sunday.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's kinda the point, it's at the end of the month but it's June 2nd lol Blood and Guts is in 27 days and Road Rager is in 34. It makes sense, but it's pretty far away.

Also, CM Punk as champ = 7, MJF shooting from the hip = 100.

Road Rager is in 2 weeks. They put the wrong date on screen, but have since fixed it.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think the Darby match opened a lot of eyes there.
This is when I said he's fantastic in the ring
are any of you convinced now more than ever that the MJF stuff is a work? I mean the fact that they have him Mic time after this last weekend tells me it's a work, right?
It started off as a shoot, it is now clearly work territory as they wouldn't have given him the mic time if they weren't on good terms.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
MJF vs Jungle boy back during the pandemic was an absolute fucking banger. It was the first MJF match I saw where I realized he could draw stars.

His Mox match for the title was when I figured out he could work multiple styles.

His matched with Sammy and Darby were also excellent in that sort of indie spot-festy sort of booking style.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Me too, so good!

Again, him shouting "you fucking mark!" Pops me every time 😂
Hearing it live in the arena is something I feel will stick with me. I feel like it was a promo that will live on forever.

Here's the shirt and hat I got from the event

hHpuVtY_d.webp

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I watched Dynamite on a small delay and that moment was beeped lol

The cut to commercial added so much too. Then the replay of something that happened just a few moments ago pretending nothing happened. Really, it doesn't matter anymore if it's a work or a shoot, this shit is just too good.

Yeah there was a big match announced for Forbidden Door but honestly I can't care more about that than MJF's story right now. It's just too good. You can watch amazing 7 star wrestling pretty easily these days. Stories and meta shit like this one aren't as easily found.

Dec 29, 2017
Meltzer brings up MJF repeating what Jim Cornette has been saying all these years, and the crowd cheered for it was very interesting and potentially dangerous for the future of the product and company. Did MJF turn face? Did Tony Khan and AEW turn heel?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Still feel like MJF has been working TK, SRS, and other journos this entire time. Only person that truly knows is MJF.

I will point out that MJF working TK is a shoot. It's only a work if AEW is in on it, even if MJF is only pretending to want to be fired.

Clearly as of the PPV they are working together. But before that it's a shoot even if MJF is bluffing.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I will point out that MJF working TK is a shoot. It's only a work if AEW is in on it, even if MJF is only pretending to want to be fired.

Clearly as of the PPV they are working together. But before that it's a shoot even if MJF is bluffing.
Fair way to look at it. Even if he's fully in character during this supposed "just here to do my job" period, if no one else knows then it's only a work for himself.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Meltzer brings up MJF repeating what Jim Cornette has been saying all these years, and the crowd cheered for it was very interesting and potentially dangerous for the future of the product.

I get where Dave is coming from but I really disagree with him.

AEW fans like AEW wrestling and everything that entails (relatively speaking) otherwise they wouldn't be watching it. MJF sort of parodying the shit Cornette spouts isn't going to suddenly turn the fans against the product.

If there was a genuine chance of that happening, MJF wouldn't have said it because he hates Cornette and apparently chewed out FTR when they joined AEW because they did an interview with Cornette straight after.

Ultimately him saying stuff like "I don't drop people on their head" isn't going to change anything and the ex WWE guys are for the most part very over and so I can't see this suddenly changing things.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
2011 WWE - Cena is champ, Punk is disrespected and disgruntled and cuts his anti-establishment/fan promo before he plans to leave the WWE when his contract expires after Summerslam. Punk goes on to win the world title in his hometown, "leaves WWE" but returns the following night then loses it a couple of months later.

2022 AEW - Punk is now Cena, the world champ and like Cena the corporate choice of champion (TK's #1 roster pick), MJF is 2011 Punk, disrespected and disgruntled, he cuts an anti-establishment/fan promo but his contract is not expiring, he wants his boss to fire him.

All Out 2022

Punk, back in his hometown, but this time defending the world title against the 2011 version of himself and with the stip that if MJF wins the title then he earns his release from his contract.

MJF wins and gets to do the Summer of Punk worldwide tour that Punk never got to do.

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope it's all a work and we get MJF winning the title from Punk at All Out in Chicago for nuclear heat.

He can have programs with Danielson, Cage, Omega, Page, etc afterwards

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird TK went so far as to cancel (or MJF refused and no showed) the fan fest, causing people to waste money and not receive refunds.
I really don't think this is a smoking gun for "this is totally real", several other wrestlers had issues showing up to the meet and greet. Joe missed it completely, the Hardy's almost missed it as well.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I really don't think this is a smoking gun for "this is totally real", several other wrestlers had issues showing up to the meet and greet. Joe missed it completely, the Hardy's almost missed it as well.
Yeah, MJF could have missed it for the same reason as Joe and they just decided to go with it as part of his persona. We may never know!!!!!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Meltzer brings up MJF repeating what Jim Cornette has been saying all these years, and the crowd cheered for it was very interesting and potentially dangerous for the future of the product and company. Did MJF turn face? Did Tony Khan and AEW turn heel?

AEW fans like AEW wrestling and everything that entails (relatively speaking) otherwise they wouldn't be watching it. MJF sort of parodying the shit Cornette spouts isn't going to suddenly turn the fans against the product.

If there was a genuine chance of that happening, MJF wouldn't have said it because he hates Cornette and apparently chewed out FTR when they joined AEW because they did an interview with Cornette straight after.

Ultimately him saying stuff like "I don't drop people on their head" isn't going to change anything and the ex WWE guys are for the most part very over and so I can't see this suddenly changing things.
Bingo, Shubb. There's a pretty broad difference between Cornette, who despises AEW and wants nothing more than it to fail, and MJF, who is an AEW performer capitalizing on(and celebrating, too) the investment of fans in AEW and wrestling overall. The fan reaction is an embrace, an encouragement of that -- not of any perceived hatred toward AEW, even if they might agree with some of what MJF said.

MJF and Tony know -- and fuckin' Dave should know this too -- that MJF's promo was a love letter to wrestling and AEW. That's what fans were reacting to.

Dec 29, 2017

The fear Meltzer has is the past history of a storyline like this. WCW did this toward the end and it really made the product feel minor league. That's what he fears could happen and hopes they learn from WCW's mistakes. They brought up the comments Kris Statlander had during her promo against Ruby Soho. About being over looked while being an AEW original. That got a huge pop and turned the crowd against Ruby Soho.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

Meltzer is trying to float something dramatic. It's as simple as AEW fans liking AEW things. The audience that cheered MJF is the same audience that popped for Blood & Guts.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Bingo, Shubb. There's a pretty broad difference between Cornette, who despises AEW and wants nothing more than it to fail, and MJF, who is an AEW performer capitalizing on(and celebrating, too) the investment of fans in AEW and wrestling overall. The fan reaction is an embrace, an encouragement of that -- not of any perceived hatred toward AEW, even if they might agree with some of what MJF said.

MJF and Tony know -- and fuckin' Dave should know this too -- that MJF's promo was a love letter to wrestling and AEW. That's what fans were reacting to.

This is 100% correct.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The fear Meltzer has is the past history of a storyline like this. WCW did this toward the end and it really made the product feel minor league. That's what he fears could happen and hopes they learn from WCW's mistakes. They brought up the comments Kris Statlander had during her promo against Ruby Soho. About being over looked while being an AEW original. That got a huge pop and turned the crowd against Ruby Soho.

Yeah, Dave's point wasn't "this promo is bad" it was "this kind of promo/meta-obsession/company-as-the-heel thing can lead to disaster if it takes over the whole product' and he's right about that.

Nov 5, 2017
If this was MJF shooting from the hip, I'm sure they would've cut his mic a long time before they did. Plus, them bleeping him seemed oddly well timed.

The way I see it, everything was patched up and they're just running with it. The fact MJF is always in character makes it super hard to tell though.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Dave's point wasn't "this promo is bad" it was "this kind of promo/meta-obsession/company-as-the-heel thing can lead to disaster if it takes over the whole product' and he's right about that.

Yeah - but every other face at the company is "AEW is great, the other place is bad".

Like, this isn't VKM as the ultimate heel or the promotion is bad. This is one guy with a grievance.

Also this is MJF - he cut a face promo 2 weeks before a PPV and had the crowd on his side and then the next week was the ultimate heel against punk again. Assuming TK trusts MJF on this storyline - this is a guy who absolutely knows what he is doing and can turn the audience against him again on a dime. MJF is not likeable - he is a pure heel. Him using the audiences emotion to get what he wants is a pure evil move. Get us to care about him and then use it against us.

Like - literally he can "get a contract" and then call us all a bunch of fucking marks. He used us to get his money and we are all a bunch of fucking chumps for helping him get that payday.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Like - literally he can "get a contract" and then call us all a bunch of fucking marks. He used us to get his money and we are all a bunch of fucking chumps for helping him get that payday.
He can come out and laugh at the fans for thinking they were finally rid of him if he "leaves" and comes back. We'll never be rid of him! There are so, so, so many fun possibilities here.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Something else to point out about the MJF promo - it was not just anti AEW - he was shooting on NJPW and work-rate wrestling.

The fans at that show mostly *dont* agree with that promo.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I wish there had been some shots like this on the show itself, besides the stage being different it just felt like any other arena to me, and there was supposedly 15,000 there? Don't think AEW took full advantage of this place.

Also hearing from Denise Salcedo about how many Latino people were there it seems mad to leave Rosa off the show.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This allows them to do something interesting with MJF whose last few feuds have been feeling kind of repetitive tbh (though necessary in the case of Wardlow, to end that storyline and get Wardlow over).

I don't think Meltzer is giving the fans or AEW enough credit. The fans went over as fuck for MJF last night because what he was saying was compelling af.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The fear Meltzer has is the past history of a storyline like this. WCW did this toward the end and it really made the product feel minor league. That's what he fears could happen and hopes they learn from WCW's mistakes.
I'll say a good sign was commentary not bringing it up at all after the segment when they came back from commercial. They just moved right on like it didn't happen, like you would if it actually happened. I think it shows that at least the commentary team is clued in on what's going on, as opposed to those WCW years where poor Schiavone would literally have no idea what the fuck was actually happening in front of him because Russo/Bischoff were obsessed with working everyone more than making actual wrestling entertainment. IMO they are approaching it in a far more sensible way than WCW ever did during that dire "everything is a shoot" 2000 era.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This allows them to do something interesting with MJF whose last few feuds have been feeling kind of repetitive tbh (though necessary in the case of Wardlow, to end that storyline and get Wardlow over).

I don't think Meltzer is giving the fans or AEW enough credit. The fans went over as fuck for MJF last night because what he was saying was compelling af.
This too. Most of the AEW audience is smart enough/clued in enough to navigate this stuff. They are also very forgiving and actively want to along with the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.