• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's Thursday. You know what that means. ❤️ 🏳️‍🌈

Something I realized is that Cody died so this MJF could live. Him leaving made all the rumors way more believable than if he hadn't and brought a lot of people into the discussion that wouldn't have been paying attention otherwise. Hell, with a quick glance this morning there's still a ton of "it's a shoot" all over the internet, so from fans to non-fans the discussion isn't going away anytime soon. First thing I did was check the YouTube account to make sure they didn't upload it as their top moment of the week. I'm actually looking forward to ratings breakdowns for the first time in forever. They're handling this perfectly. I'm hooked, but I was along for the ride anyway. More importantly, casual fans and even Vincels are hooked. Last night really felt like a "new season" of AE-Dub started and a lot of that had to do with this angle. This feels like we're heading into the next big growth period for the company — something that has the potential to stand alongside the early days of the nWo or Austin/Vince. I just hope they're able to show restraint and keep things off of official channels for a while. Give them crumbs and let social media do all the work for you.

Damn, Jamie. But daaaaaamn Rickyyyyy(!)/Jade look incredible together! 👀

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Damnit Jade now I need to change my avatar again….

Very good show, enjoyed the first hour more than the second, thought the first half of the main event felt a bit off but the second half was fantastic.

Obviously very nice to have The Redeemer back.

I predicted a few weeks ago that if Punk won @ DoN that he would face Tanahashi @ FB so obviously I'm very pleased with myself there lol. I cannot wait for that match.

I did actually notice the bald spot on Jericho's head on the PPV, wondering if that's been there a while or did someone actually tear it out. That bald spot does make me wonder if Jericho is actually losing his hair and he's turning it into a work, it sounds like the kinda thing Jericho would do.

Johnny Elite continues to look off his game.

Kinda concerned about the follow up for Wardlow, not just with MJF coming straight back, basically retconning Sunday and hogging the limelight again, but I mean Wardlow's first story is a comedy lawsuit with Mark Sterling, I'll assume for now that it's gonna lead to someone coming in for Wardlow to feud with or it'll be over quick and we're just filling time until Wardlow goes after the TNT title or something.

More subtle heel stuff from Christian, taking JB away from Matt Hardy.

Is Hikuleo ok after that spill over the top rope?

MJF definitely made a fair point or two, gonna be interesting to see where this one goes, I know the crowd were on his side by the end but it doesn't feel like a face turn and it can't be a real McMahon vs Austin thing when McMahon doesn't wanna appear on TV.

Did MJF saying the F word make it past censors on TNT? because it sure as hell did on FITE lol

Lot of people are going to be happy with a certain someone making their debut on Elevation this week.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Damnit Jade now I need to change my avatar again….

Very good show, enjoyed the first hour more than the second, thought the first half of the main event felt a bit off but the second half was fantastic.

Obviously very nice to have The Redeemer back.

I predicted a few weeks ago that if Punk won @ DoN that he would face Tanahashi @ FB so obviously I'm very pleased with myself there lol. I cannot wait for that match.

I did actually notice the bald spot on Jericho's head on the PPV, wondering if that's been there a while or did someone actually tear it out. That bald spot does make me wonder if Jericho is actually losing his hair and he's turning it into a work, it sounds like the kinda thing Jericho would do.

Johnny Elite continues to look off his game.

Kinda concerned about the follow up for Wardlow, not just with MJF coming straight back, basically retconning Sunday and hogging the limelight again, but I mean Wardlow's first story is a comedy lawsuit with Mark Sterling, I'll assume for now that it's gonna lead to someone coming in for Wardlow to feud with or it'll be over quick and we're just filling time until Wardlow goes after the TNT title or something.

More subtle heel stuff from Christian, taking JB away from Matt Hardy.

Is Hikuleo ok after that spill over the top rope?

MJF definitely made a fair point or two, gonna be interesting to see where this one goes, I know the crowd were on his side by the end but it doesn't feel like a face turn and it can't be a real McMahon vs Austin thing when McMahon doesn't wanna appear on TV.

Did MJF saying the F word make it past censors on TNT? because it sure as hell did on FITE lol

Lot of people are going to be happy with a certain someone making their debut on Elevation this week.

Hah no way tv is always on a tape delay that was censored to hell and back

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
JR needs to be put to pasture, God he was awful on dynamite

can't wait for Forbidden Door, pretty sure he'll be refering to the entire NJPW roster as that "oriental" guy

Yeah, not saying much but JR was noticeably trash last night, just awful.

Looking forward to where the MJF stuff goes, have a few reservations about turning Tony into an on-screen character, not sure how else it can progress though? Gonna be weird. MJF vs Suzuki as punishment at forbidden door.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
That was Austin and I just took that as his usual brand of overselling (which I like)

Ah my bad, I get them mixed up. I don't mind a bit of overselling but it seemed obvious to me that he should have been on the floor by the way Dax dragged him to the ground…if he wasn't then why not just go for a roll up?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Apparently Meltzer may have spoiled another potential match for forbidden door:
Okada Vs Hangman

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
If they want to keep him off the show, MJF not being booked on Forbidden Door would work storyline-wise, too.

There is so much potential in this MJF story right now, and it's the most excited I've been since maybe Scott Hall walking out on Nitro. That said, I think some of us might be creating our own head canon with how this should play out, and how it will be WWE guys vs. AEW originals. That's a very delicate game to play because you have guys like Danielson who is beloved by fans more as Bryan Danielson than as Daniel Bryan.

Anyway, I'm not gonna overthink it. They have the potential to do something truly epic here, but I just don't want other parts of the show to suffer if they're not involved in this particular all-encompassing narrative, which would make them feel separate.

Said it before: This is a massive growth opportunity for the company. Even getting viewership up to 1.05 mil or 1.1 mil on the regular would be impressive.

More interested to see the ratings for last night's show than I've been in a long time. Gonna want to see the quarter hours for the MJF segment alone.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
If they want to keep him off the show, MJF not being booked on Forbidden Door would work storyline-wise, too.

There is so much potential in this MJF story right now, and it's the most excited I've been since maybe Scott Hall walking out on Nitro. That said, I think some of us might be creating our own head canon with how this should play out, and how it will be WWE guys vs. AEW originals. That's a very delicate game to play because you have guys like Danielson who is beloved by fans more as Bryan Danielson than as Daniel Bryan.

Anyway, I'm not gonna overthink it. They have the potential to do something truly epic here, but I just don't want other parts of the show to suffer if they're not involved in this particular all-encompassing narrative, which would make them feel separate.

Said it before: This is a massive growth opportunity for the company. Even getting viewership up to 1.05 mil or 1.1 mil on the regular would be impressive.

More interested to see the ratings for last night's show than I've been in a long time. Gonna want to see the quarter hours for the MJF segment alone.

I agree…you don't want to turn the crowd against everyone who happens to come from WWE (let's face it most who end up there is for a very good reason). Remember the reaction from WWE once Vince and co decided that they shouldn't hate them any more: too little too late.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree…you don't want to turn the crowd against everyone who happens to come from WWE (let's face it most who end up there is for a very good reason). Remember the reaction from WWE once Vince and co decided that they shouldn't hate them any more: too little too late.
The issue with WWE is that the booking and stories didn't change.

They would go from story to story and there would be no logic or noticeable changes in who was pushed etc. and so the company/McMahons going from face to heel didn't really impact anything.

It's a little different in this situation since the whole issue stems from backstage stuff that doesn't effect the actual product as much and so it can be used as motivation. Fans are enjoying the product and AEW has a lot of goodwill with the fans, fans that typically will go with the product as long as it's good.

AEW also isn't as fixed on things having to be clear cut on who is a face and who is a heel and if fans cheer for someone they shouldn't, like Britt, AEW goes with it and acknowledges it but can continue telling the story they are doing without pretending the fans are reacting differently than they are.

AEW fans are also much more likely to play their part and boo people they should at key moments, even if they will be then chanting for them during a match.

Them potentially doing a AEW originals Vs ex WWE guys wouldn't particular hurt any of the WWE guys or the product because for the vast majority of them, they are being used well and the fans are into them.

It doesn't mean the story wouldn't have to be thought out well and make sense, but I feel if anyone could pull off a compelling story with this, it's AEW.

Oct 27, 2017
MJF being someone that doesn't watch New Japan, doesn't care about ever working there, and doesn't worship their legends would make him the ultimate heel for that show. They could build a pretty great feud for that PPV involving him and someone that takes up for that promotion and all it has to offer.

I don't see them doing that though because they're too fixated on working that backstage drama angle. I have no idea what the payoff to that is going to be but I'm going to trust AEW not to do something dumb like put Tony Khan on camera against MJF in a promo battle or something. There's no way that won't be embarrassing.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Marked out for Vince Vaughn being in the crowd. Dude is like 6'5"…get him in there against Wardlow.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't think you need to lean into company wide faction warfare. It's when the nWo grew out of control that the angle sucked and I've been told that he invasion thing WWE did sucked too. That doesn't mean it can't work, but keep it simple. If anything, you can involve Punk, Hangman, and even Kenny down the road. Punk represents the establishment, Hangman dropped the line "defending AEW from you" and could be the single most interesting person to align themselves with MJF, and Kenny has both a role with the company that puts him on the establishment side as well as a history that puts him opposite Hangman. MJF, Hangman, Punk, and Kenny is a hell of a nucleus for a long term main event angle with tons of shades of gray to keep the audience hooked.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't think you need to lean into company wide faction warfare. It's when the nWo grew out of control that the angle sucked and I've been told that he invasion thing WWE did sucked too. That doesn't mean it can't work, but keep it simple. If anything, you can involve Punk, Hangman, and even Kenny down the road. Punk represents the establishment, Hangman dropped the line "defending AEW from you" and could be the single most interesting person to align themselves with MJF, and Kenny has both a role with the company that puts him on the establishment side as well as a history that puts him opposite Hangman. MJF, Hangman, Punk, and Kenny is a hell of a nucleus for a long term main event angle with tons of shades of gray to keep the audience hooked.
You could also have Kenny "come back" and think "This is not the company I started" so he could go either way.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Personally, I don't think you need to lean into company wide faction warfare. It's when the nWo grew out of control that the angle sucked and I've been told that he invasion thing WWE did sucked too. That doesn't mean it can't work, but keep it simple. If anything, you can involve Punk, Hangman, and even Kenny down the road. Punk represents the establishment, Hangman dropped the line "defending AEW from you" and could be the single most interesting person to align themselves with MJF, and Kenny has both a role with the company that puts him on the establishment side as well as a history that puts him opposite Hangman. MJF, Hangman, Punk, and Kenny is a hell of a nucleus for a long term main event angle.
The main reason the invasion angle failed, other than WWE just being terrible, is because of 3 reasons.

First they didn't have a bunch of the biggest wcw names because their contracts were with the network and they didn't want to buy them out.

Secondly they adjusted some WCW Wrestlers characters, primarily DDP, who went from a beloved face to a creepy stalker.

Lastly and most importantly, they never portrayed WCW as a real threat. WWE pretty much always had the upper hand and ultimately WCW looked amateurish compared to WWE which of course was deliberate since that's how Vince tended to treat non WWE Wrestlers.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Really gonna soak in that we might be getting at least a couple of dream match scenarios at Forbidden Door. This is the type of stuff you look back on years from now and say "Holy cow, that really did happen. The top guys of New Japan came over to a major American promotion, appeared on American television, and wrestled on a major PPV in front of 14,000 people."

I wonder what cut New Japan is getting from this show. 60/40 or 55/45 in AEW's favour would make sense to me, but I'm just BSing.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
How many matches in a row has CM Punk botched already? Imagine watching the news that he became champ, getting excited, tuning in to check him and oof

IS THIS YOUR CHAMP?

Anyway, it already doesn't matter if MJF story is a shoot, a work, a worked shoot, a shooted work, whatever. It's the best thing going on in Wrestling right now, and if you start counting back, we're in June now, and MJF has been one of, if not THE, best things for all these 6 months. Give them all the moneys he deserves, his promo last night felt genuine because dude was right. Every single word of what he said. That also include "wrestling fans" opinions on the internet.

Blood and Guts and the Hair vs Hair match being announced so far away is weird, but with the Forbidden Door PPV in between I guess there's no other option.

Looking forward to Rampage. Looks like it's going to be real fun.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Btw, it's sad listening to SRS explain to (some of) his listeners like they're toddlers what is/was and isn't/wasn't a work. Some fans love to think they're way smarter than they are, but when things get this deep, I don't even care what's real and what's not. I just want to have fun with it, have it make sense, and enjoy the ride. It's always been a part of what makes pro wrestling intriguing in matches and in promos: "I know THAT was fake...but was THIS?"

I'm just laughing and am filled with joy watching this all play out. LOL. Pro wrestling is so damn rad sometimes. I fucking love it.

"You guys pretended I sucked for a long time. And why...? Because I'm not untrained like all your faves? Because I don't pretend to watch New Japan? Because I don't dump my opponents on their head? Because I'm not reckless? What is it? Is it 'cuz I'm not chasing star ratings?

How could I possibly be the best? Well, newsflash. I AM the best! I'm the best in the world 'cuz I'm the only guy who makes you feel, and unlike all those boys, I don't gotta do a bunch of bullsh*t to get you there."

How can you not love this? LOL Shoot on all of us, Max Daddy.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Blood and Guts and the Hair vs Hair match being announced so far away is weird, but with the Forbidden Door PPV in between I guess there's no other option.
Blood and guts is at the end of the month so that's a relatively short build and was much sooner than most thought it would be.

Also the hair Vs hair match is being tied to the road rager dynamite so they obviously want some intrigue for the special.

On a totally different note, some interesting stats from Brandon as always.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, it's sad listening to SRS explain to (some of) his listeners like they're toddlers what is/was and isn't/wasn't a work. Some fans love to think they're way smarter than they are, but when things get this deep, I don't even care what's real and what's not. I just want to have fun with it, have it make sense, and enjoy the ride. It's always been a part of what makes pro wrestling intriguing in matches and in promos: "I know THAT was fake...but was THIS?"

I'm just laughing and am filled with joy watching this all play out. LOL. Pro wrestling is so damn rad sometimes. I fucking love it.

"You guys pretended I sucked for a long time. And why...? Because I'm not untrained like all your faves? Because I don't pretend to watch New Japan? Because I don't dump my opponents on their head? Because I'm not reckless? What is it? Is it 'cuz I'm not chasing star ratings?

How could I possibly be the best? Well, newsflash. I AM the best! I'm the best in the world 'cuz I'm the only guy who makes you feel, and unlike all those boys, I don't gotta do a bunch of bullsh*t to get you there."

How can you not love this? LOL Shoot on all of us, Max Daddy.
MJF reads resetera confirmed.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
MJF reads resetera confirmed.
Other than a few posters, everyone here considers MJF a very good wrestler and the comments on the situation were based on the info we had on how he and Tony Khan had handled the issues MJF had regarding his pay.

I don't think anyone really criticised him for wanting more money, he definitely deserves it, but the way he reportedly went about it and what his expectations were (in terms of expecting TK to offer instead of simply talking to him about it) was what some of us had an issue with or at least acknowledged he handled the situation very badly and only hurt his goals.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Blood and guts is at the end of the month so that's a relatively short build and was much sooner than most thought it would be.

Also the hair Vs hair match is being tied to the road rager dynamite so they obviously want some intrigue for the special.

On a totally different note, some interesting stats from Brandon as always.

Well, that's kinda the point, it's at the end of the month but it's June 2nd lol Blood and Guts is in 27 days and Road Rager is in 34. It makes sense, but it's pretty far away.

Also, CM Punk as champ = 7, MJF shooting from the hip = 100.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, that's kinda the point, it's at the end of the month but it's June 2nd lol Blood and Guts is in 27 days and Road Rager is in 34. It makes sense, but it's pretty far away.

Also, CM Punk as champ = 7, MJF shooting from the hip = 100.
Less than 4 weeks to build B&G isn't that long in my mind. Gives them some time for the BCC to get their shit in order. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Bryan Vs Eddie match for them to clear the air and then they can go into the B&G match United.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The match vs Sammy was when I really noticed MJF as a master in ring; I thought he was good before but that one was nuts.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I do wonder why he took Wardlow's power bombs in such an odd way. If his back is so hurt that he doesn't think it's safe to take them normally then they shoulda changed the way the match worked!

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Brian Danielson is 100% showing up to the BOSJ finals isn't he?

I could see Hangman as well

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
are any of you convinced now more than ever that the MJF stuff is a work? I mean the fact that they have him Mic time after this last weekend tells me it's a work, right?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The Tana/Punk segment felt so weird since we had no shot of both men next to each other. Look liked two different footages being shown at the same time lol
I dunno how to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.