• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
b03cad37-6545-4d2b-9fiknb.jpeg

Whoa he's wearing an Alita shirt. Man it's awesome to see that Alita is a passionate project for him for over 20 years.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, if interest isn't there, I agree. If it "bombs" than no one is going to want to throw good money after bad. If there is shown to be potential for the series, I could see this being a special case since some times studios are willing to continue to bet on a series they believe there is potential in, even if one film isn't particularly strong or breaks even.

Just look at all the "bombs" Warner Bros. funds because they believe in the director. Fox wants Cameron for 4 Avatar sequels before they even see how audiences respond to one Avatar sequel over 10 years after the fact. I don't think this project is necessarily bound by typical Hollywood conventional wisdom due to it being Cameron's project.
Actually, they greenlit Avatar sequels because the first film was the highest grossing film I history. And even then, they've only greenlit the entire production process of Avatar 2&3. They're waiting to see how they perform before allowing Cameron to go further than completing performance capture work on 4&5 (capture work on 4 is already done).

It's really not the same at all.

Yes, if Alita JUST breaks even and then has a successful life on home video, a sequel might get greenlit under the right circumstances. But that's very different to what you were suggesting earlier and comparing to with the Avatar sequels.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Can't compare greenlighting Avatar sequels after making 3B.

Obviously Avatar's sequels are a different beast after being one of the highest grossing films of all time, but no one was giving Joss Whedon that sort of benefit of the doubt after the first Avengers, nor J.J. Abrams after TFA.

As a matter of fact, forget about the sequels, they gave Cameron an opportunity to make a brand new IP in Avatar for a budget of probably over $400M total. Who else is getting that kind of leeway for a movie that could be a total flop, even after Titanic, especially since Titanic also had delays and ballooning budgets?

I'm not saying that Alita is Avatar, I'm saying that Alita is Cameron, and as being Cameron's passion project, I could see him trying to move mountains to get a sequel in the way that he basically did to get Avatar made.

Actually, they greenlit Avatar sequels because the first film was the highest grossing film I history. And even then, they've only greenlit the entire production process of Avatar 2&3. They're waiting to see how they perform before allowing Cameron to go further than completing performance capture work on 4&5 (capture work on 4 is already done).

It's really not the same at all.

Yes, if Alita JUST breaks even and then has a successful life on home video, a sequel might get greenlit under the right circumstances. But that's very different to what you were suggesting earlier and comparing to with the Avatar sequels.

See my post above.

It's not different to what I've been saying since at no time was I trying to say a proven success is the same as a movie breaking even. That would make no sense and it's just twisting my words. I'm saying this is about the person that is behind this film pushing it to be made in the first place gets the benefit of the doubt that other directors don't get. Even Steven Spielberg isn't getting the production time and budget to make a film like Avatar in the first place, not that I even think that it would be his style, but Cameron is a different type of film maker. He bets big and wins big and if he can make a good pitch for an Alita sequel or even trilogy, given the movie at least breaks even, I could see him pulling it off, and probably being the only person who could.

Last edited:

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Avatar's sequels are a different beast after being one of the highest grossing films of all time, but no one was giving Joss Whedon that sort of benefit of the doubt after the first Avengers, nor J.J. Abrams after TFA.

As a matter of fact, forget about the sequels, they gave Cameron an opportunity to make a brand new IP in Avatar for a budget of probably over $400M total. Who else is getting that kind of leeway for a movie that could be a total flop, even after Titanic, especially since Titanic also had delays and ballooning budgets?

I'm not saying that Alita is Avatar, I'm saying that Alita is Cameron, and as being Cameron's passion project, I could see him trying to move mountains to get a sequel in the way that he basically did to get Avatar made.
Um, you think that maybe Cameron having an amazing box office track record has something to do with how much leeway he's given compared to Joss Whedon and Abrams? lol

Before Avatar (which btw, isn't one of the highest grossing films of all time, but is far and away the highest grossing film of all time by a ridiculous amount), Cameron also had the highest grossing movie of all time with Titanic. He also had huge box office successes like T1, T2, Aliens and True Lies under his belt.

No shit Cameron would get more leeway than Whedon, who feature-wise had one bomba under his belt with Serenity and Abrams - whose, like Whedon, biggest successes came from being attached to already established properties with an in-built audience that already guarantees a certain level of success whether they're helming it or not.

Comparing what studios offer a proven blockbuster-maker director like Cameron with franchise hop-ons like Whedon is a ridiculous way of making your point.

And Avatar's budget wasn't over $400m. It was still higher than the officially reported $230m, but by all reports was closer to $300m.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few things I really like about the flick. It being focused on Alita and all action set pieces revolving around her development. Nothing felt needless like most action adventure flicks. All of the sequences were extremely well shot as well. You could always tell what was going on with it. Even if at times it did seem a bit chunky. The film also had amazing world building and the relationship with Alita and the Doc was great.

And let's not compare Cameron to Abrams or Whedon. Cameron makes new franchises, Abrams and Whedon just get brought on. Big difference.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Um, you think that maybe Cameron having an amazing box office track record has something to do with how much leeway he's given compared to Joss Whedon and Abrams? lol

Before Avatar (which btw, isn't one of the highest grossing films of all time, but is far and away the highest grossing film of all time by a ridiculous amount), Cameron also had the highest grossing movie of all time with Titanic. He also had huge box office successes like T1, T2, Aliens and True Lies under his belt.

No shit Cameron would get more leeway than Whedon, who feature-wise had one bomba under his belt with Serenity and Abrams - whose, like Whedon, biggest successes came from being attached to already established properties with an in-built audience that already guarantees a certain level of success whether they're helming it or not.

Comparing what studios offer a proven blockbuster-maker director like Cameron with franchise hop-ons like Whedon is a ridiculous way of making your point.

And Avatar's budget wasn't over $400m. It was still higher than the officially reported $230m, but by all reports was closer to $300m.
Going by Wikipedia,
Estimates put the cost of the film at about $280–310 million to produce and an estimated $150 million for marketing, noting that about $30 million in tax credits will lessen the financial impact on the studio and its financiers.[20][21][22] A studio spokesperson said that the budget was "$237 million, with $150 million for promotion, end of story."[4]
Even by the likely lowballing studio estimate, they still put it at $387M total.

Maybe I didn't make a great point by comparing Cameron to Whedon and Abrams, but my point isn't about the Avatar sequels being greenlit at all, because obviously they are coming on the back of a successful film, but the fact that even in the way the sequels were greenlit, even in the way the first film was made, this is not the normal way that directors are able to make movies. James Cameron is a special case and he has built up that clout through a career of success, and lately through a career of incredible success, but he also has a method of making big meticulous films, of which Alita is one of, having been in development for as long as it has.

He's not a director for it, but he's a producer on the film with practically as much skin in the game and involvement as if he was still attached. I think Fox knew that to even support Alita in the first place because it's James Cameron. It's like because he's not behind the camera that people want to treat this as if it's not his film.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
If Cameron truly cared about Alita he should have found a better director or just held off another decade and done it himself post Avatar unless he just wants to retire after that

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Going by Wikipedia,

Even by the likely lowballing studio estimate, they still put it at $387M total.

Maybe I didn't make a great point by comparing Cameron to Whedon and Abrams, but my point isn't about the Avatar sequels being greenlit at all, because obviously they are coming on the back of a successful film, but the fact that even in the way the sequels were greenlit, even in the way the first film was made, this is not the normal way that directors are able to make movies. James Cameron is a special case and he has built up that clout through a career of success, and lately through a career of incredible success, but he also has a method of making big meticulous films, on which Alita is one of, having been in development for as long as it has.

He's not a director for it, but he's a producer on the film with practically as much skin in the game and involvement as if he was still attached. I think Fox knew that to even support Alita in the first place because it's James Cameron. It's like because he's not behind the camera that people want to treat this as if it's not his film.
Firstly, why are you including the marketing budget for Avatar? Nobody ever includes the marketing budget or every tentpole would easily eclipse $300m.

Secondly, it's not about how much skin Cameron has in the game. It's about how much skin the studio (aka the guys actually paying for the thing) do. And so that is where the huge goddamn moon-sized gulf of difference lies between Cameron directing and producing lol. Cameron producing guarantees nothing.

What did you think of that 3D cave-diving movie he produced a few years ago? That's right, you're looking it up right now because you have nfi what I'm talking about.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhhh, this movie was amazing.
I really really liked it, it far exceeded my expectations. Hoping for a sequel.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
There certainly was a lot of movie in this movie.

I think I enjoyed it? Alita was great, but her relationship with Hugo was pretty cringeworthy (and basically built on him being the only boy she knows).

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saw the movie today and really enjoyed it. Got my hopes up with the reveal at the end that there might be a sequel set up. Then I read that they're saying they need to see around half a bil globally before they would consider it annnd... that doesn't appear to be a possibility unless this thing gets some legs.

Such a bummer.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, why are you including the marketing budget for Avatar? Nobody ever includes the marketing budget or every tentpole would easily eclipse $300m.

Secondly, it's not about how much skin Cameron has in the game. It's about how much skin the studio (aka the guys actually paying for the thing) do. And so that is where the huge goddamn moon-sized gulf of difference lies between Cameron directing and producing lol. Cameron producing guarantees nothing.

What did you think of that 3D cave-diving movie he produced a few years ago? That's right, you're looking it up right now because you have nfi what I'm talking about.
I included the marketing budget because it is an insane amount for any brand new IP. It's insane enough that it's over $200M, that it would get even close to $300M, but then to get another $150M at least in marketing on top of that is crazy. Not for a Star Wars film, but for a brand new movie about alien cat people.

I don't know what you mean by the "3D cave diving movie", because I'm seeing everything from documentaries that he actually also directed to movies he "produced" but was credited as as executive producer, which is not the same as doing the production and development of the movie as a producer. To take that even further, on Alita, Cameron also wrote the screenplay so from a studio's perspective, how do they look at all that and equate that with the same hands-off involvement as being an EP on some deep sea doc?

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friend were both floored that not a SINGLE person in the whole movie commented on her freakish eyes. They completely gloss over it in what i assume is a power move from the director.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I watched this last night, and thought it was way better than I anticipated. Great action sequences, and Alita's character development was good. I like the world too. Really hope we get a sequel.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I included the marketing budget because it is an insane amount for any brand new IP. It's insane enough that it's over $200M, that it would get even close to $300M, but then to get another $150M at least in marketing on top of that is crazy. Not for a Star Wars film, but for a brand new movie about alien cat people.

I don't know what you mean by the "3D cave diving movie", because I'm seeing everything from documentaries that he actually also directed to movies he "produced" but was credited as as executive producer, which is not the same as doing the production and development of the movie as a producer. To take that even further, on Alita, Cameron also wrote the screenplay so from a studio's perspective, how do they look at all that and equate that with the same hands-off involvement as being an EP on some deep sea doc?
Ever heard of Strange Days? That's a movie Cameron wrote and produced. You think a sequel would get greenlit by a studio?

And no, every tentpole has roughly that marketing budget. Even unknown film IPs. Mortal Engines. The Lone Ranger. John Carter.

A studio tentpole is a studio tentpole is a studio tentpole. Acting like it's surprising that the marketing budget on an UNKNOWN $200m+ tentpole is as large as the marketing for a Star Wars film makes no sense. Of course if it's unknown and it costs that much money, a studio needs to market the hell out of it.

I'm not sure why you keep fighting the obvious logic of this whole thing anyway. Cameron as a producer means jack all when it comes to a studio deciding whether or not to greenlight a sequel to a movie that has put them in the red.

If Cameron were proposing the direct said sequel himself, it might be a different conversation. But that's not what you've been talking about. And nothing you have said has shown why a studio would be willing to do otherwise with him only producing.

It should tell you something that Fox refused to greenlight Alita itself once Cameron handed the directing reigns to Rodriguez, unless the budget was slashed to $170m or below. By Rodriguez and Cameron's own admission, Cameron's version of the film would've cost twice as much. Cameron producing made then lose confidence.

Cameron offering to produce a potential sequel to a what might be a potential bomb makes even less sense for the studio to greenlight.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There certainly was a lot of movie in this movie.

I think I enjoyed it? Alita was great, but her relationship with Hugo was pretty cringeworthy (and basically built on him being the only boy she knows).

See, this was my first thought, but then I remembered what teenage boys and girls are like and how obsessive they can be. Her infatuation with him was actually really endearing, even more so because he looks like a discount store Jonas brother.

Me and my friend were both floored that not a SINGLE person in the whole movie commented on her freakish eyes. They completely gloss over it in what i assume is a power move from the director.

Of all of the insane cyborg hybrids walking around, she looks normal by comparison. And then when they show how Martian cyborgs ALL look like that, it becomes even less of an oddity.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's the opposite; it makes sense to me that people in that world realize she is a cyborg and just accept it as "weird cyborg shit", but I'm floored that people watching it still get so hung up on it, despite the whole movie being filled with inhuman-looking cyborgs that look more like machines than anything organic.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
See, this was my first thought, but then I remembered what teenage boys and girls are like and how obsessive they can be. Her infatuation with him was actually really endearing, even more so because he looks like a discount store Jonas brother.

Yup. As locked-on as she seemed to Hugo, the movie does remind us she's ultimately a teenager. I can see her setting her sights on one dude & having a hopeless dedication towards him for a time. If this designed to be an origin story for a series of movies, I'm all for having her overcome that kind of feeling now rather than later in the series.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
If Cameron truly cared about Alita he should have found a better director or just held off another decade and done it himself post Avatar unless he just wants to retire after that

Better directors like Nolan or Russo brothers probably don't want an anime ip since GitS didn't make it. Robert Rodriguez is a freak so Cameron can trick him into making it.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Better directors like Nolan or Russo brothers probably don't want an anime ip since GitS didn't make it. Robert Rodriguez is a freak so Cameron can trick him into making it.
Cameron honestly should have coaxed Del Toro to do it. Those guys adore each other and Del Toro was the one who introduced Cameron to Alita.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Rodriguez is a solid director, I think he did better than Nolan would with the action sequences.

Maybe, but Nolan can get Hans Zimmer on board. I think the main problem is Nolan will make a Nolan movie which is too far away from Cameron's imagination of Alita.

Nolan also only shoot film that's not going to work.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
At least it didn't come out around the same time as Captain Marvel.
Hopefully China and Japan (or Netflix's animation team) will save the film.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. Certainly one the best anime/manga adaptations I've seen along with Speed Racer.

I've hardly got any problems with it. It looked amazing, I thought the characters were personable and interesting, and the world was just cool to look at.

Though I have to question why the Battle Angel/Gumn property was worth a 200 million dollar movie exactly. Looking up the source material it doens't seem much more than the 90's rule of cool hyper violent action thing. Not that it cant be good in it's own right but it's not the the original manga marketed itself to general audiences exactly. This seems destined to be a Niche film only a select few resonate with and sing the praises of (Much like Speed Racer).

I guess this was a worthy step for anime adaptations though. Alita's CGI face became natural to me within minutes and she always felt apart of the scene and not and out of place CGI character.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Ever heard of Strange Days? That's a movie Cameron wrote and produced. You think a sequel would get greenlit by a studio?

And no, every tentpole has roughly that marketing budget. Even unknown film IPs. Mortal Engines. The Lone Ranger. John Carter.

A studio tentpole is a studio tentpole is a studio tentpole. Acting like it's surprising that the marketing budget on an UNKNOWN $200m+ tentpole is as large as the marketing for a Star Wars film makes no sense. Of course if it's unknown and it costs that much money, a studio needs to market the hell out of it.

I'm not sure why you keep fighting the obvious logic of this whole thing anyway. Cameron as a producer means jack all when it comes to a studio deciding whether or not to greenlight a sequel to a movie that has put them in the red.

If Cameron were proposing the direct said sequel himself, it might be a different conversation. But that's not what you've been talking about. And nothing you have said has shown why a studio would be willing to do otherwise with him only producing.

It should tell you something that Fox refused to greenlight Alita itself once Cameron handed the directing reigns to Rodriguez, unless the budget was slashed to $170m or below. By Rodriguez and Cameron's own admission, Cameron's version of the film would've cost twice as much. Cameron producing made then lose confidence.

Cameron offering to produce a potential sequel to a what might be a potential bomb makes even less sense for the studio to greenlight.
Maybe if Strange Days wasn't a bomb, broke even, had interested audiences, and was meant to have sequels based on the source material it would have. Going by your logic, it being the last original sci-fi story Cameron wrote before Avatar, that's even more reason Avatar would have never been made if anyone but Cameron was making it.

"Unknown" IPs all based on known source material, unlike the completely original IP Avatar. $150M is still on the high end of marketing, and if any wholly original creations, even movies based on existing IPs that they are cautious of their money making potential will be met with more conservative marketing budgets. Not to mention that Avatar's big selling point of 3D was still not thought to be a selling point for a film at that point, definitely not to the point of helping it to break world records.

I'm not fighting the "obvious" logic that you insist that Cameron's name only matters as a director and not a producer. That kind of logic maybe matters to the mass audience but in the studio system, that's where a person's reputation has way more clout as not just a director but as a producer as well, especially when you look at other directors who are able to throw their clout behind productions to make the movies they want to make like Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson. Would Mortal Engines even get made if it wasn't for Jackson backing it?

Not to mention Cameron is also teaming with Jon Landau as producers on Alita, who previously produced both Titanic and Avatar with Cameron. The fact that Alita even got $170M (which is not a small amount) for an ANIME ADAPTATION (which the closest films to even be on the same scale were, I believe Speed Racer at $120M and Ghost in the Shell at $110M, which both bombed) with a director who usually works on films with a fraction of that budget and more flops than hits, outside of Sin City and half the Spy Kids movies, it's a minor miracle that it got made at that budget at all.

Oct 25, 2017
They really needed to flag in marketing that it ends on a cliffhanger going in. I think that caused a lot of missed expectations. Also the whole script was a mess. They basically took a Netflix series and crammed it into a movie. There were several reveals that should have been paced episodically but in the movie format they didn't have enough time to breathe. You don't really feel the mystery leading up or the payoff once you find out because it's going too fast. The awkward pacing also makes the movie feel long.

Otherwise I did like aspects of it. They created a cool cyberpunk world. Using uncanny valley as a visual element for the cyborgs was a good artistic choice. This also helps it get the anime-style action better because while such scenes can come off more awkwardly when you're CG-ifying live actors, but because the cyborgs are meant to look that way it helps to not pull you out of it.

So overall Hollywood still can't do live-action anime/manga but it feels like some progress was made. It was also clear nobody knows the audience because my theater literally had an Ugly Dolls trailer followed directly by Us.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Strange Days wasn't a bomb, broke even, had interested audiences, and was meant to have sequels based on the source material it would have. Going by your logic, it being the last original sci-fi story Cameron wrote before Avatar, that's even more reason Avatar would have never been made if anyone but Cameron was making it.

"Unknown" IPs all based on known source material, unlike the completely original IP Avatar. $150M is still on the high end of marketing, and if any wholly original creations, even movies based on existing IPs that they are cautious of their money making potential will be met with more conservative marketing budgets. Not to mention that Avatar's big selling point of 3D was still not thought to be a selling point for a film at that point, definitely not to the point of helping it to break world records.

I'm not fighting the "obvious" logic that you insist that Cameron's name only matters as a director and not a producer. That kind of logic maybe matters to the mass audience but in the studio system, that's where a person's reputation has way more clout as not just a director but as a producer as well, especially when you look at other directors who are able to throw their clout behind productions to make the movies they want to make like Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson. Would Mortal Engines even get made if it wasn't for Jackson backing it?

Not to mention Cameron is also teaming with Jon Landau as producers on Alita, who previously produced both Titanic and Avatar with Cameron. The fact that Alita even got $170M (which is not a small amount) for an ANIME ADAPTATION (which the closest films to even be on the same scale were, I believe Speed Racer at $120M and Ghost in the Shell at $110M, which both bombed) with a director who usually works on films with a fraction of that budget and more flops than hits, outside of Sin City and half the Spy Kids movies, it's a minor miracle that it got made at that budget at all.

Spielberg and Jackson have gotten movies greenlit as producers, yes. Just like Cameron (and Landau, yes) has with Alita. Again, this is not the conversation we're having. The conversation we're having is whether any one of them - Spielberg, Jackson or Cameron or fucking anybody could get a sequel to a bomb (ie: not breaking even) greenlit by staying in a purely producing role. And again, the obvious answer is a resounding no.

Avatar is not on the high end of marketing compared to literally any other tentpole in the same budget range. I'm also not sure why you're harping on about the incredible gamble Avatar was and the fact that nobody but Cameron could have gotten that budget. This is obvious for reasons that we have already talked about - but mainly because Cameron was the motherfucking director of Avatar, not simply the producer. Why are you going into the history of Avatar's unlikely ability to be made under anybody but Cameron when that is a completely different conversation that everybody already knows and agrees with?

You changing the circumstances of Strange Days bombing by saying 'maybe if it DIDN'T bomb, if it broke even! etc!' is again, changing the conversation. Nobody is arguing that a Battle Angel sequel is impossible if Alita breaks even. What we are arguing, is whether a sequel would get greenlit if the first film doesn't break even, purely because Cameron (as a producer) wants one.

This is the initial ridiculous claim you proposed and what we've been talking about the entire time. Stop changing the conversation.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Spielberg and Jackson have gotten movies greenlit as producers, yes. Just like Cameron (and Landau, yes) has with Alita. Again, this is not the conversation we're having. The conversation we're having is whether any one of them - Spielberg, Jackson or Cameron or fucking anybody could get a sequel to a bomb (ie: not breaking even) greenlit by staying in a purely producing role. And again, the obvious answer is a resounding no.

Avatar is not on the high end of marketing compared to literally any other tentpole in the same budget range. I'm also not sure why you're harping on about the incredible gamble Avatar was and the fact that nobody but Cameron could have gotten that budget. This is obvious for reasons that we have already talked about - but mainly because Cameron was the motherfucking director of Avatar, not simply the producer. Why are you going into the history of Avatar's unlikely ability to be made under anybody but Cameron when that is a completely different conversation that everybody already knows and agrees with?

You changing the circumstances of Strange Days bombing by saying 'maybe if it DIDN'T bomb, if it broke even! etc!' is again, changing the conversation. Nobody is arguing that a Battle Angel sequel is impossible if Alita breaks even. What we are arguing, is whether a sequel would get greenlit if the first film doesn't break even, purely because Cameron (as a producer) wants one.

This is the initial ridiculous claim you proposed and what we've been talking about the entire time. Stop changing the conversation.
How are we "changing the conversation"?

This is the the "conversation" that you say I'm changing, where TheVoid made this response to me

If it loses money or breaks even, it's not happening.
If there is no interest, then I agree with you, but if it breaks even, I see Cameron throwing his weight behind giving it another chance.
To which I even said to you
Like I said, if interest isn't there, I agree. If it "bombs" than no one is going to want to throw good money after bad. If there is shown to be potential for the series, I could see this being a special case since some times studios are willing to continue to bet on a series they believe there is potential in, even if one film isn't particularly strong or breaks even.
Sounds like you lost the plot and are trying to put that on me.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
How are we "changing the conversation"?

This is the the "conversation" that you say I'm changing, where TheVoid made this response to me

To which I even said to you

Sounds like you lost the plot and are trying to put that on me.

Well then I apologize. The underlined combination muddled my understanding of what you were trying to say:

If there is shown to be potential for the series, I could see this being a special case since some times studios are willing to continue to bet on a series they believe there is potential in, even if one film isn't particularly strong.

Just look at all the "bombs" Warner Bros. funds because they believe in the director.

And whilst there is precedence after a long lull after a bomb with Blade Runner receiving a sequel from WB three decades later, the underlined is highly unlikely so soon thereafter.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Watched it today. It was better than I expected, honestly. Dialogue was pretty bad, but I really liked the performance from the girl who plays Alita. Waltz also seemed to be having some fun with it.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OVA did it better with a shorter runtime.

What happens to chiren always feels real shitty. Was hoping for a change instead of putting her in a fridge. Jashugan got done dirty too.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Well then I apologize. The underlined combination muddled my understanding of what you were trying to say:

And whilst there is precedence after a long lull after a bomb with Blade Runner receiving a sequel from WB three decades later, the underlined is highly unlikely so soon thereafter.
Fair enough. When I was saying a film "isn't particularly strong" I wasn't referring to a bomb or using the phrase as a euphemism for a bomb, but a movie that maybe just missed breaking even or that could even extend to a very modest success; not weak but modest in strength at best, which is how I thought of breaking even. Some may essentially see breaking even as a failure, but I was pointing out that while it can sometimes be interpreted in the industry that way, I was saying that if there was shown to be interest (at least in breaking even), that maybe Cameron can tilt the scales to give the franchise another shot because sometimes that's all a movie needs is someone on that level to champion it.

I don't think WB is the norm, nor is it to say they do not care about movie box office performance, but my point was to illustrate that the "rules" for what movies get money to be made or what gets sequels, isn't so cut and dry and that Cameron has a lot of influence if he wishes to exert it. If Alita bombs, I think Cameron and everyone will see the writing on the wall and not attempt to push forward with a sequel that has no hope of recouping it's investment, but if there is a chance that a sequel can work out the kinks and improve on the original, then reach a bigger audience and find more success, there is a chance for a sequel, even if the movie only broke or maybe even if it just barely missed breaking even. The IP doesn't have the same cultural cachet as a well known superhero IP or a popular book series like Harry Potter where even a failure will have a studio keep trying to make a hit, but I think that for studios, James Cameron has that cachet and if he's invested in something, even if it's a crazy anime like Alita, it's easy to have faith in him that he sees something special in that material, being that he's so passionate about it, that he'll be able to deliver on if you gave him a chance.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
I saw it for the second time, I really had a hard time getting past the endless miasma of green screens. Was a lot harder to notice on 3D / XD

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never read the manga or any other material, but was a huge fan of this movie. The whole universe gave off a very cyberpunk vibe, and did a pretty good job of explaining the important parts alojg the way. Doc and Alita were both great performances, as well as Mahershala Ali in the bit of screen time he got. Conolleys character and Hugo were both a bit weak, but they didn't seem to be super strong characters to begin with. Overall a really great introduction to the universe as a whole, hope it ends up doing well enough to get picked up.

I'll be checking out the manga soon enough. I'd always heard of it, but never had the desire to check it out until now.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
F me. That ending is abruptly brutal. Any word on a sequel?

The ending was anime as fuck. How often do we run into a manga adaptation that requires going back to the source of material to see what happens? Berserk, Fruit Basket, etc., etc. It was kinda fun seeing that translate to the big screen.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
By the way, for the people who hate Jai Courtnay : if we get a sequel and properly follow the manga, i'm sorry to say that he will become a major character.

Because yes, he's in the movie as a cameo of a quite important character later on. Might i say : a pivotal character for Alita. As a worthy adversary, but not a villain.

For those who missed him in the movie, he plays Jashugan, a Motorball player we see fight and then getting repaired when Hugo brings Alita to the Arena.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the talk about this film, I'm surprised I haven't seen more mentions of Rodriguez's influence. The talk of Motorball, the mech designs, and the cheesy dialogue/side-characters screamed Spy Kids 3 to me. I wanna say it also reminded me of Tron: Legacy. Rosa's acting and the overall execution is what gave Alita the edge over your typical blockbuster for me.