• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
What happened to Chiren just kills me lol. Feels like a trope we see so much. Did she really expect to just walk out of there with no harm done to her. I do feel bad for her especially after she found herself but how stupid can you be to expect to just walk out on Vector and Nova.

Oh and I normally don't think actors can be wasted but felt like Ali was. Maybe I'm an idiot but I though he was a cyborg or had powers which is why his eyes turned blue in the trailer but he was just a puppet in the end. Cottonmouth > Vector
Vector has a Brain Bio-Chip I believe. I don't think it's brought up in the movie? But that would be how Nova is able to interface through him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I enjoyed it. Earnest, cool, action sci-fi story. Alita herself is great, very well-done...my wife didn't feel the emotion came through her CGI face, but I disagree. I definitely connected with her. The heart scene was just too much, lots of tender, crazy feelings going on there. The motorball scenes were awesome. Waltz really elevated the material, he treated the script with a sense of reality and warmth that helped make everything more believable. It's also a fairly faithful adaptation, though I only watched the OVA and read some of the manga, and that was...15 years ago at least (though he movie version gives Alita a sassier teenage attitude, and waaaay tones down the gore).

That said, it's not great. The first half is really, really good, but then it gets a bit incoherent, IMO. I know who Nova is from reading the manga, but I didn't think he was handled well...I could definitely see a layman watching this movie and not really understanding Nova or even how Zalem works. Too much of a focus on trying to set up a sequel kind of spoiled it all, and the last third or so just loses something.

Still, all around, I liked it, and I'd happily watch a sequel.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just came out of IMAX. Liked it. Some nitpicks and predictable but it was good overall. I hope this makes some good China money. I want more.

Holy shit on the cgi tech nowadays though. Damn impressive. Alita's expression was great.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Vector has a Brain Bio-Chip I believe. I don't think it's brought up in the movie? But that would be how Nova is able to interface through him.
Do we need to spoiler tag stuff or everything is free game?

He has a brain chip. We find out after Chiren think's the big cyborg dude is out and Nova is gone only for Nova to assume direct control over Vector. Vector just felt like a waste, even his death was meh. Kept expecting Nova to leave him and Vector to see he's about to die but nope

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from this. Highly enjoyable but far from perfect. Felt like the film had like four climaxes in the end lol and the love story was dull but thankfully it didn't overpower the rest. Hopefully this makes enough for a sequel.

Is the manga considered good? I've never really heard of it tbh.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Just got back from this. Highly enjoyable but far from perfect. Felt like the film had like four climaxes in the end lol and the love story was dull but thankfully it didn't overpower the rest. Hopefully this makes enough for a sequel.

I heard a few people complained about the unneeded Colosseum entry ending, but I really like that ending. First of all its a stupid origin story, so it's not over. But she pointing the saber up at the sky and going come at me Nova and the stadium going wild was my favorite moment. So cheesy.

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
I heard a few people complained about the unneeded Colosseum entry ending, but I really like that ending. First of all its a stupid origin story, so it's not over. But she pointing the saber up at the sky and going come at me Nova and the stadium going wild was my favorite moment. So cheesy.

haha yeah that sword moment was very anime-esque. The ending didn't bother me that much but a few people in my theater did react by going "that's it?" Although I guess it's good that they want more. Some guy even said he had to come back to see it again.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, the original script was nearly 600 pages with stupid number of notes?

As much as I like this movie, a miniseries format might've served it better.

I hope we get an extended cut of the film at least.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017

It's a classic cyberpunk manga. Pretty good. You can read the first series for free on comixology atm with free trial.

Manga is much darker than the movie. Heads get blown off, dismemberments and the likes in almost fight.
The big guy in the film kills and eats brains for endorphin in the manga, as an example.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, the original script was nearly 600 pages with stupid number of notes?

No. The original script was 180pages (3 hours) with 600 page of world building notes that Cameron supplier Rodriguez with.

Rodriguez chopped an hour's worth of stuff out of Cameron's script.

Oct 28, 2017

An extended cut for such a visual effects heavy movies like this seems unlikely. I enjoyed the movie for what it was but I came out of it wishing Cameron made this instead of tying himself up in Avatar movies for the rest of his career. Alita is such an endearing character and the world has more sequel potential to me than Avatar.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Got back from seeing it with a co-worker. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I do think tone and pacing wise, it kind of felt like an 80s/early 90s action flick. Which, given both the the source material and how long Cameron has been trying to get this film made it makes sense.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
An extended cut for such a visual effects heavy movies like this seems unlikely. I enjoyed the movie for what it was but I came out of it wishing Cameron made this instead of tying himself up in Avatar movies for the rest of his career. Alita is such an endearing character and the world has more sequel potential to me than Avatar.
Not sure how the world has more sequel potential than Pandora.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how the world has more sequel potential than Pandora.

Let me put it a different way, I found the mystery of her backstory and the story behind the Fall and the war with the Erm interesting and I wanted to learn more. Plus I want to see the city and what else the earth might be like outside the city walls. I don't want to learn anything more about Avatar. It was a self-contained one and done.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who saw the film but did not read the source material, I have a couple of world-building questions.
1. So what is the sky city like? Is it actually a paradise? Bummer we didn't really see it in the movie
2. What happened to URM? Are they still out there after the end of the war? Kinda got some far-fetched Expanse vibes from the Earth-Mars war theme.
3. What happened to the rest of the sky cities? Did Nova sabotage them? Are there any other communities out there on earth?
Solid film overall, great action and a decent story

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Let me put it a different way, I found the mystery of her backstory and the story behind the Fall and the war with the Erm interesting and I wanted to learn more. Plus I want to see the city and what else the earth might be like outside the city walls. I don't want to learn anything more about Avatar. It was a self-contained one and done.

I found her back story boring and the film already revealed too much. She was just a killer machine. Do you remember The Long Kiss Goodnight? Gina Davis had a more interesting back story.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, which was surprising to me after the scathing reviews. I thought Alita's eyes would distract me the whole time but you get used to them pretty quickly. The movie is very action packed and earnest, and I'd really like to see a sequel.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it for a second time and liked it even more. Full IMAX screen btw, which is the best way to see it if you have the opportunity to, since it fills the screen. There is a lot of subtlety in the script that it's not getting credit for. It's not deep, but there are layers to lines that I was able to appreciate more on second watch. Also some of the exposition and sci-fi mumbo-jumbo was so densely packed that it really took a second watch to unpack it all. Luckily I think the characters and story is pretty straight forward and easy to follow, to the movie's credit. Rosa Salazar is so good. So much emotion and subtle expression that she conveys with just her voice inflection, body language, and facial expressions. Plus she flips from naive young girl to badass warrior so believeably.

My only gripe with the story that sort of stuck out to me the first time, but really has me scratching my head on second watch is
Hugo's betrayal of Alita and his change of heart. For one, he has the meeting with Vector and seems to go along with convincing her to join the motorball race to win and get the money so they can go to Zalem (already a bit of a contrived "set up" rather than just killing her in the street, but whatever, it was cool). But when she joins the race, suddenly he has his change of heart and decides to quit scrapping, which, fine, that is something I can buy him being conflicted about and he's only doing it to go to Zalem for a better life and now that he has his chance to do it without harming others, it makes sense. What I don't get is when Zapan frames him for murder, is that also Vector and/or Nova's plan? Or was it what conveniently lured Alita to Chiren so Alita could kill Hugo and Chiren could get Alita?

The movie both gives Hugo an "out" in that he was just selling parts to escape and not hurt people but also made him the reason that Alita gets betrayed and lured to the trap as well as equating him scrapping cyborgs for parts to murder, which he himself says is basically the same thing. I think I might be confused about the details but it really is a plot point that bothers me the more I think about it.[\spoiler]

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this movie was not good lol

Not to say it doesnt have any redeeming qualities but Rodriguez should be put in film jail

OP
OP
Old Man Spike

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Just got home from the theater and wanted to pop in to say that I really enjoyed Alita! :D

(Shocker, I know...)

I'll come back with a lengthier review after I've had some time to digest the film, but for now I'll just say that Rosa Salazar's performance is the heart of what makes this movie work, it cannot be said enough, and that I even enjoyed some of the things people are criticizing most heavily about it.

AND

The PG-13 rating this movie received is going to throw people, parents especially, and even knowing the source material I am dumbfounded by what they managed to get away with.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this myself tonight as well. I liked it. Mind you, I also enjoyed Speed Racer, but as far as anime adaptations to live action Western films go, I think this was pretty high up on the comparatively low bar that currently exists. I uncanny valleyed Alita for the first few minutes of the film, but I found Rosa Salazar's performance so engaging that I got over it pretty quickly and just accepted the character for who she was. Surprisingly faithful adaptation, all things considered.

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted already? Christopher and Rose were having an interview with a special guest Kizuna Ai during in movie promotion.

What a time to be alive.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who saw the film but did not read the source material, I have a couple of world-building questions.
1. So what is the sky city like? Is it actually a paradise? Bummer we didn't really see it in the movie
2. What happened to URM? Are they still out there after the end of the war? Kinda got some far-fetched Expanse vibes from the Earth-Mars war theme.
3. What happened to the rest of the sky cities? Did Nova sabotage them? Are there any other communities out there on earth?
Solid film overall, great action and a decent story
1. it's a shiny high-tech dystopia, something like a cross between logan's run and brave new world with its own weird "dark secret" twist
2. URM isn't a thing in the manga, mars is constantly in a state of civil/proxy wars with no real governing authority. the war that wrecked everything was between an earth/venus colony alliance and jupiter, the panzer kunst fighters were brought on by the jovians to execute the final attack. afterwards it was all pinned on them and the panzer kunst school was wiped out with alita as the sole survivor. it is very expanse-like though since earth/venus/jupiter are the big superpowers and the other colonies (mars, asteroids, etc) are constantly getting attacked and pushed around as those three jockey for supremacy.
3. in the manga there's only two sky cities. they're the lower anchor points for a pair of space elevators joined by a ring that encircles the whole planet. at the top of both elevators are space cities, the one above zalem is the headquarters of the earth orbital government and an organization called LADDER which is the UN-analogue formed by the superpowers at the end of the last war.

there's a lot more going on too, the manga is very extensive. i highly recommend reading it.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Warms my heart to see the user score for this movie is high. Well deserved. I need to go see it in Dolby Cinema theatre (I saw it in Dolby Atmos in 3d... which I don't think is what is considered Dolby Cinema).

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this myself tonight as well. I liked it. Mind you, I also enjoyed Speed Racer, but as far as anime adaptations to live action Western films go, I think this was pretty high up on the comparatively low bar that currently exists. I uncanny valleyed Alita for the first few minutes of the film, but I found Rosa Salazar's performance so engaging that I got over it pretty quickly and just accepted the character for who she was. Surprisingly faithful adaptation, all things considered.
I was hoping for this exact perspective. I loved Speed Racer and I've been cautiously optimistic about this. My girlfriend and I are planning to see it when our Sinemia account gets activated.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed it! I really like how they took elements from both the manga and OVA and wove it together into a plot. My friends (none of which read the source like I had only a month ago) had varying opinions on it. One friend really enjoyed it, on how well they made something anime-ish. The other two thought it was only ok, thought motorball was kinda weird and awkward, and wasn't a fan of the love story situation. Personally, I didn't mind the love story too much. I see what they wanted to do, and integrate Hugo more into the story, and explain a bit of the world further instead of Ido a bit more. Heck, Alita and Hugo spent quite a bit more time together than in the original source, so it actually grew their relationship just a little more. The actor was... ok. But he was just kinda there and I dunno, a little bland I guess. The only thing I wish was

Hugo explaining his background of why he idolizes Zalem. I thought the story of him being orphaned due to his sister in-law turning him into the hunter-warriors was memorable and striking to his character. It's like, no wonder he's in the position he is now and allowed Vector to take him under his wing/manipulate him. I'm also disappointed in him not going crazy and off to kill him. The visuals of him in the manga and OVA kind of going nuts and climbing up the tubes kind of added to the whole thing.

I'm also curious to see when we get a sequel (which we will.... >_>) with what they will do with
Desty, since he's clearly a little different in the movie.
I want to see Alita grow more as a warrior, because Rosa did a great job with portraying her as she grew and got more of an attitude and cockiness.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
No he wasn't. He was effective. And hot. I liked him in the role.
Well, we disagree. Someone like Miles Teller would have done a better job. Even with the limited script of Hugo.

After one night, the movie is still stuck in my head. If it wasn't 19€,i would probably go a second time. Alone to see the nice cgi tech again.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got out from seeing it.

It was good. Not great, but good.

Really loved Alita, but didn't like Hugo at all lol. Cristoph Waltz was great too.

Feels like the script needed to be a little tighter though, but sign me up for a sequel.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol even when reading the manga I could never tell if Hugo being terrible was a bug or a feature.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
Far from perfect but also not terribly bad.
the movie leaves you with a sense of "thats it?"I would love to see a sequel but I doubt this movie will do well enough

Oct 26, 2017
Lol even when reading the manga I could never tell if Hugo being terrible was a bug or a feature.

Both.

Hugo's that relationship you get into when you're still figuring out who you are. The emotions from both sides are genuine, even intense, but ultimately you're both on different paths which happened to cross for a little while. You both go your separate ways and learn something about what you're not looking for in future relationships.

But also

One of you steals spines to fund their road trip. Fuck Hugo.

Kojirospath

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it! Action was great, Alita was a great performance, really likeable character. Sequel please! How is this tracking worldwide?

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
Watching on imax was a good experience. Felt there were far too many edits but it's a film so no time to flash some things out that looked like it had been pre edit. Directors cut would be great. I really hope it makes enough for a sequel to be green lit.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So fans of the original manga, is it worth it? Wasn't too hyped by the trailers, and i hated the ghost in the shell live action movie for exemple

Small nitpick, but quite disappointed they didn't use the original names for the french release, since everyone here knows her as gally, not alita, but oh well, doesn't make the movie worst

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest, I was a little confused about why Motorball was such a big deal in this world. Like, it is the year 2500 and something and Motorball is all the rage? Really? Just seemed kinda ... unimaginative for such a far-flung future.