• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the earliest parts of the movie struggled to find its pacing as it jumped through several plot points, but once it cleared that hurdle it was just a great movie.

The fight in the alley. From that moment onwards the movie just becomes amazing. That's when it feels like it's done setting up the world and just gets into the action, which was phenomenal.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Movie could have just been called Murder Ball.

The action set piece toward the end was great, but it just this really awkward focus on some made up game. It would be like if Pod Racing made up 80% of the Phantom Menace. It felt REALLY strange to me.

The first 30 minutes move at a steady clip, and the last 30 minutes are pretty great. But the middle is pretty boring/slow while at the same time feels like it moves WAY too fast to truly build anything up or have me invested in the characters.

The bad guys feel like they're bad guys just cause they want to be bad.

CG was surprisingly great. I laughed hard at Alita exclaiming, "I'm GETTING THIS" literally three seconds after trying Murder Ball in the beginning.

Saw it in Dolby Cinema and it was hella loud and super crisp. 3D was solid but not worth a $19 ticket (I have A List so w/e).

Mechanical Dog guy was the best character. The actor reveal at the end was stupid. I don't really understand what was accomplished by killing off the real bad guy's pawn as the hero's accomplishment in the film, but there are more problems with characters' motivations than that.

Really pleased with the action. Good spatial choreography. Everything had weight. No quick cuts or shaky cam. Some of the best action I've seen in a couple years, maybe.

5/10.
I don't understand how you think a trained soldier cyborg wouldn't get rollerball quickly against children.

The society is kindof centered around rollerball and the plot moves through that sport so yeah it's going to be in the movie.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Went to a packed screening last night, really great adaptation. The action sequences were amazing they really got the weight of the impact just right when she fought. Also the rollerball sequences were all well done.

It would never happen but I would love to see what this digital effects team could do with Bubblegum Crisis.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
An admin suggestion: discussion for this movie is tracking really low, and the split between a spoiler thread and an OT is fragmenting discussion to the point that it's nearly impossible to hold a dialogue. The Marvel movie threads here have had just the single OT with unmarked spoilers; maybe we should consider meeting the threads here to do the same.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I need to rewatch this on the final week of showing.
This should have been a miniseries on Netflix, that'd be brilliant!

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just got out, really enjoyed it. Hated the romance though but the action was amazing. Might read up more on Alita because I'm a lore geek and that world seems interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it in 3D. I liked it, but I feel like only Quentin Tarantino can bring a good performance out of Christoph Waltz. He was phoning it in

By the way, I'm in love with Alita, I really am

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god, the showings at my local AMC theater (which is usually a very busy theater) is completely dead tonight. Tons and tons of seats still open.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Liked it. The story had some issues, particularly with all the exposition in the first act, but I think they overall did a good job, especially with catching Alita's character. The scene in the bar was definitely the highlight there.

This movie also made me really wish they had cast Jennifer Connelly as Yennefer in the Witcher TV show.
boo on the movie though for just forgetting about her. Surely Christoph Waltz could have made her a nice cyborg body

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Just saw it in 3D, the 3D was actually ok, maybe it was my theater, but I wasn't that impressed especially with Cameron producing, I'll prob go check it out imax 3D though.

As for the movie, it was better than I thought, I thought this was a train wreck from the previews, plot is whatevs but Alita is pretty likable after getting over the uncanny valley, and the action is really well done.

Ending was abrupt but of course theres a sequel, though seeing how much this cost to make and the fact that it's gonna limp to 40MM this holiday weekend, eeeeesssshhhhhh.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Going tonight in Imax 3D. As someone who grew up reading Gunnm as a kid, I'm pretty psyched.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Lovely movie. I liked it a lot. My only complaint is, they tried to put too much into a 2 hour movie. Other than that, it was great.

Went to a packed screening last night, really great adaptation. The action sequences were amazing they really got the weight of the impact just right when she fought. Also the rollerball sequences were all well done.

It would never happen but I would love to see what this digital effects team could do with Bubblegum Crisis.

Man, a high-quality Bubblegum Crisis Anime adaption would be amazing.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Solid movie. Want to see more stories in this universe for sure.

Also was getting tons of Cyberpunk vibes from it. (excited for that game even more now)

The flashbacks made me wish I was watching that movie though.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
But weren't the eyes moving? Figured with the kind of technology they have, like even keeping nothing but a head alive, that would be a possibility
I don't recall seeing the eyes move.

The whole character is lifted pretty much verbatim from the old anime OVA (her character doesn't exist in the manga), and that medium at least made it very clear she did not survive.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't recall seeing the eyes move.

The whole character is lifted pretty much verbatim from the old anime OVA (her character doesn't exist in the manga), and that medium at least made it very clear she did not survive.

The eyes absolutely are moving, I wondered if I imagined it the first time I saw it so looked out for it on my second viewing.

Billy Lee

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
The eyes absolutely are moving, I wondered if I imagined it the first time I saw it so looked out for it on my second viewing.
Yes the eyes were moving, suggesting she was being kept alive in that box. I found that bit horrifying. Imagine spending the rest of your life like that. Not being able to move or speak. All you can do is think and observe what is in front of you. But you will probably be spending most of the day inside a pitch black box.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
This was pure cheese. The action was really cool but man there's some absolutely terrible dialogue and the pace is all over the place. I really wonder what this would have been like if Cameron actually did get round to directing it. The only way is up.

We actually had a guy sitting a few seats away from us absolutely pissing himself during the romance scenes and especially the last 10 minutes. Not something I've experienced in a cinema before.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
We actually had a guy sitting a few seats away from us absolutely pissing himself during the romance scenes and especially the last 10 minutes. Not something I've experienced in a cinema before.

I haven't really heard this phrasing before. Either he was laughing or had too much to drink >_>

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This movie was way better than I expected. Alita had serious pep and agency--much more charismatic and likeable than the tiny snippets from the trailers led me to believe. The action was dynamic as hell; super well choreographed, edited, and framed. The story was a little lean on the thematic meat, but did a good job of building a world with a lot of implied depth. Everyone's motivations were clearly drawn.

I didn't think I'd love this but I kinda did. It didn't take a single wrong step IMO. If anything, it could have been a little longer to further flesh out the characters and relationships.

Very satisfying theater experience. I'd sure as hell be down for a sequel if it picked up where this movie left off. After that, I wouldn't be mad if we got a prequel showing Alita's former life. Those flashbacks were intriguing.

BTW, Hugo is a hunk. I was like, I'll take a front row seat to the gun show, please. Praise Jesus for that very necessary and delicious shirtless scene.

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went into this expecting it to be ho-hum and ended up enjoying it very much. I've seen people say the story is boring but I was engaged throughout.

Is it worth watching again in 3D (I have A-list) or does that not add much?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I went into this expecting it to be ho-hum and ended up enjoying it very much. I've seen people say the story is boring but I was engaged throughout.

Is it worth watching again in 3D (I have A-list) or does that not add much?
If you like 3d , its supposed to be a showcase title. I am going to Imax 3D on Sunday =)

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks y'all. I know it's a Cameron production but I haven't really felt the "need" to see anything in 3D in years. Looks like I'll be hitting this up again, though.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it. To people who haven't seen it yet, imagine if WB was asked to only adapt one Harry Potter book. I thought it was good but throughout you could telly Cameron and Rodriguez REALLY want to make more of these. Characters are presented and then left hanging. Overall a pretty good attempt at a herculean task.

I would definitely want to see a sequel that adapts the Barjack arc, which would basically be Fury Road with robots.

Movie could have just been called Murder Ball.

The action set piece toward the end was great, but it just this really awkward focus on some made up game. It would be like if Pod Racing made up 80% of the Phantom Menace. It felt REALLY strange to me.

This is one of the main things that complicates the adaptation. In the books, motorball is its own entire arc that gets introduced after the arc the movie adapts, but Cameron thought it looked so dope he had to put it in.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
An admin suggestion: discussion for this movie is tracking really low, and the split between a spoiler thread and an OT is fragmenting discussion to the point that it's nearly impossible to hold a dialogue. The Marvel movie threads here have had just the single OT with unmarked spoilers; maybe we should consider meeting the threads here to do the same.

I second this suggestion.

I'd like to have more of a spoiler discussion while people are actually watching the film (before it dies off), but this is the only thread I see being bumped.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Seconded.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this movie. My daughter loved this movie. We are both hoping for a sequel. How much does this need to make to guarantee a sequel?

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out, really enjoyed it. Hated the romance though but the action was amazing. Might read up more on Alita because I'm a lore geek and that world seems interesting.

Fuck that! I damn near celebrated in my seat when
they fridged that traitor asshole. He deserved it after betraying her, manipulating her, and then relaying on her to protect him after selling her out. This was done right and what makes it good is that Alita didn't know the full extent of his betrayal.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting in the theater waiting for the previews to start now. Surprised that the theater is just about full for it.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Fuck that! I damn near celebrated in my seat when
they fridged that traitor asshole. He deserved it after betraying her, manipulating her, and then relaying on her to protect him after selling her out. This was done right and what makes it good is that Alita didn't know the full extent of his betrayal.
I didn't like Hugo at all. Hated how she fell for him so fast but it makes sense seeing what state she was in early on. I was happy he died then I facepalmed when he became a cyborg but the ending with him was great lol. Kept expecting her to get Iron Man replusors and fly to save him.

Oh and really hated Hugo's buddy who just hated Alita from the beginning. Not sure why he gave his life for Hugo.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Hugo at all. Hated how she fell for him so fast but it makes sense seeing what state she was in early on. I was happy he died then I facepalmed when he became a cyborg but the ending with him was great lol. Kept expecting her to get Iron Man replusors and fly to save him.

Oh and really hated Hugo's buddy who just hated Alita from the beginning. Not sure why he gave his life for Hugo.

I just wanted him to die also. Lol.. it kind of makes sense in a way on how she fell for him. She was extremely innocent and naive to it all. Hugo even says so when she offers him her literal heart. I liked that scene more so it gives insight to who Alita is while showing how much of wasted skin Hugo was. I'm just happy they didn't try and go threw a Hugo redemption arc and just decided to kill him off.

Hugo's boy kind of made sense to me. He didn't like Alita because of how they earned their living. He probably just saw her as a Mark they would eventually rip off. The sacrifice makes sense if you considered they've been boys for years and hung out with each other all the time off screen. I don't know how else to justify it. Lol..

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
should I go see it tonight or tomorrow afternoon, folks?

I'm glad I saw it this afternoon because it was a random time and the theater wasn't as packed. I went while kids were still getting out of school.

Depends on your habit. If you like the crowd and live reaction go tonight. If you like it being lowkey with a smaller crowd go tomorrow afternoon.

The important thing is just going. I also want that sequel.