• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
2b157gS.jpg

From IGN:

You can pick up Alita: Battle Angel on digital, Blu-Ray or DVD this July.

In North America, the digital release comes first via Movies Anywhere on July 9 while customers who prefer physical releases can take home their copies on July 23: these include 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, and DVD.

In the UK, the digital edition goes live on July 12 and the physical versions are set for July 22, while in Australia the digital edition drops on July 10 and the physical editions will be released on July 24.

Special features that come with all releases include Alita's World, a deep dive into the world of Battle Angel that features a look at the war that destroyed two planets, Hugo's guided tour of the Iron City, a "high-octane crash course" in Mortorball and more. Also included is From Manga to Screen, a look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro's manga Gunnm and its history of being brought to the big screen.

Included in the Blu-Ray and Digital special features is the Evolution of Alita, which shows how the film was brought to life, starting with the casting of Rosa Salazar. There's also a 10-minute cooking school, where director Robert Rodriguez gives a cooking lesson on how to make the chocolate seen in the film. Also included is a Q&A session led by producer Jon Landau with the filmmakers and cast, and a compilation of exec producer James Cameron's 2005 concept art for the then-titled Battle Angel: Alita.

The digital edition comes with its own in-depth examination of composer Tom Holkenborg's musical themes, a set tour of Iron City led by director Robert Rodriguez, and a reel of Robert Rodriguez's 2016 compilation of concept art. The digital release also includes a rundown of Alita's allies and adversaries, as well as scene deconstructions of the visual effects process.

Amazon Link

Best Buy Link (w/ limited edition Steelbook packaging)

Target Link (w/ exclusive USB charging wristband, LOL)

FNAC Link (w/ limited edition Steelbook packaging)

Walmart Link (w/ limited edition Funko POP keychain)

Amazon.com link to exclusive limited edition "Evolution Edition Gift Set" w/ 64-page book, art prints and signed certificate of authenticity

(More links to come)

The film was released in theaters on February 14th in the US, which makes for a pretty long wait for home release in today's terms.

Hoping Best Buy comes through with a decent-looking steelbook cover, that FNAC one is awesome. (EDIT: It's the same steelbook!)

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed this movie much more than I thought I would. This was a surprisingly long gap between theater and home video too, I wonder why

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this movie, the more I'm mad that it bombed. It was really fun and I wanted to see more.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'll happily watch it again. Despite all its flaws, and the many liberties they took from the original material (manga), I felt a lot of joy seeing one of my ultimate teenage icon come to life on the big screen.

Oct 25, 2017
I remembered there being some kind of controversy between this and Captain Marvel, so I ended up tuning out at the time although I can't quite remember.
The alt right latched itself onto Alita to "boycott" Brie Larson and Captain Marvel.

Its clear none of them bothered to actually see it since it wasn't a hit at the box office and there is a lot of (likely unintended) trans subtext in Alita

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this film any good?
Dialogue is poo poo but I was impressed at how detailed the CG looked (at least for robot bodies). Plotwise it's all over the place, and the cinematography is eh at times. I'd say the worst offender is the run time of this thing. It's too long and it still manages to feel crammed with plot ideas for a potential sequel (which it won't get IIRC). Action scenes are pretty good so.... I'd say give it watch.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Still can't believe I didn't find the time to see this in theaters. Definitely gonna check it out but I feel like I missed a special theater going experience.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I missed this at the cinema for personal reasons, and the wait has felt really long for a home video release. Glad it's finally got a date, and I hope the 4K/HDR presentation is as good as it looks like it should be.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
I hope Alita does well in the ancillary market to make up a bit of its budget, judging from it's sizable fan-base on social media, especially YouTube and twitter, maybe it'll do well.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna recommend this to people. Found the film really meh to be honest. Surprisingly Alita after all the eye jokes in pre-release was probably the best bit about it. The world surrounding her though... Erph, not a huge fan.

And I'm still pissed off about the dog.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it.. on the fence whether I need to own it or not though.

I was kind of mad how it ended, I felt like it was just getting started

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Finally. Great to see it have a 4k / 3D combo pack, so I don't have to pick between the two.

Fingers crossed they include the IMAX scenes. It's an incredible looking movie.

Last edited:

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
This movie was pretty decent.

Special effects are amazing. Rosa Salazar and some of the other cast are great, but the lack of chemistry and general lameness of the male lead really dragged down the story for me.

Yeah, their unwillingness to make Hugo a murderer sort of takes a lot out of his character. The concept of being a ripper is still pretty crazy and results in a lot of unhinged madness that most people aren't willing to do, but they make the difference between shooting someone in the face and literally taking a chainsaw to someone's spine while they're still alive seem trivial. It's kind of the worst part of the movie and, like many other movies about transhumanism, the humans are the weakest part.

I liked it.. on the fence whether I need to own it or not though.

I was kind of mad how it ended, I felt like it was just getting started

That's because it's the end of the first book. They thought they were getting a sequel.

Hell, they might of thought they were going full on Harry Potter movie series. It's a shame.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
For those who watched it, is there a narrative reason for her big eyes? All the other cyborgs in the movie seem to have human-sized eyes.

I'm not trolling. I'm a fan of the manga and I'm legitimately curious.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I remembered there being some kind of controversy between this and Captain Marvel, so I ended up tuning out at the time although I can't quite remember.

Loud idiots where all, "See Alita instead of Captain Marvel because it has actresses that won't insult us!" when the correct move was seeing both because they're both good movies.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
For those who watched it, is there a narrative reason for her big eyes? All the other cyborgs in the movie seem to have human-sized eyes.

Not really, though they MAY have been alluding to the martian troops having larger eyes, but it was likely just a style choice to keep her design as close to the manga as possible

Oct 28, 2017
I "liked" it I guess. Would probably give it a B- if I'm being generous. Rosa Salazar and Weta did an incredible job bringing Alita to life but the movie does have its share of problems, mainly lacking a central antagonist and a schmaltzy love story but there's a lot of really good elements too. I long for what could have been had Cameron made it himself.

OP
OP
Old Man Spike

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States

Michelle Rodriguez has a minor role playing Alita's mentor Gelda in several flashback scenes, and her cyborg body has large eyes as well. They're the only two Martian cyborgs whose faces we see clearly in the film, so it's assumed all Martian cyborgs could look like that.