• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, i can retire my GPD Win 2, honestly it is crazy no one big has got into this segment yet.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Hopefully those are some decently sized joysticks. Tiny joysticks aren't great compared to what I'm used to on a normal controller.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My Ars colleague Valentina Palladino went hands-on with this a few weeks ago.

In terms of gameplay, the few minutes I got to spend playing Mortal Kombat 11 on Concept UFO seemed promising. While playing the locally stored game, I experienced no latency or lag while fighting or during loading sequences, although the back of the machine was noticeably warm while I played. Dell didn't tell me exactly what the gameplay's resolution was, but it appeared to be at about 720p, which is roughly the same quality as if you were to play Mortal Kombat 11's port on the Nintendo Switch. However, a Dell representative did say via email that it is "exploring" resolutions up to 1200p, with their main focus being to strike the right balance between a small screen, intimate gameplay experience, power consumption, and battery life.

More on its similarities to Switch (removable controller, TV dock) at the full report:

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
That form factor is very creative and original...

ok ok comments aside I'd love a handheld PC in that form factor as some kind of god-tier emu machine and maybe to tackle stuff with lower specs in my Steam library.

Edit - from video:
  • They don't reveal what the SOC is
  • Targeting 1080p60fps
  • "About" 2 hrs battery life
  • Full blown Windows
  • The controllers look like they snap in/out just like the Switch. They even show an accessory that docks the controllers into a stand-alone controller
  • USB-C

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its a prototype but all the sharp angles are ridiculous.
If it didn't look like something in a bduget scifi show from the 80s, it wouldn't be Alienware
That form factor is very creative and original...

ok ok comments aside I'd love a handheld PC in that form factor as some kind of god-tier emu machine and maybe to tackle stuff with lower specs in my Steam library.
Don't sell it short. The GPD Win 2 can do some crazy things with minimal fiddling. And they are using cobbled together stuff, this has the potiental to be so much more

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this just due to versatility of being a PC than the barebones Switch, it looks to have better specs too.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
GPD Win 2 found dead in a ditch

(This monster will probably be too expensive to compete with Switch directly, but will be the best handheld PC option. Also fuck Alienware's gaudy-ass design language as always)

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It's kickstand is already better than the Switch's and plays PC games to boot? wew

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
My main complaint is the angles around the screen it just throws me off.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
With that size and that battery life I'd ask what's the point of the device?

Where will you be using it handheld?

If the answer is 'mainly at home' then why not just use the PC in the other room. I get the idea as a couch device but two hours brings it under the practicality bar for handheld outdoors.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those angled bezels are strange and 2 hour battery life seems crazy. They must have watched that cnet video from the Switch's launch a bunch and overcompensated on the kickstand

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
With that size and that battery life I'd ask what's the point of the device?

Where will you be using it handheld?

If the answer is 'mainly at home' then why not just use the PC in the other room. I get the idea as a couch device but two hours brings it under the practicality bar for handheld outdoors.

On the Comfy Couch™ at home. On the Toilet at home. On the TV in front of your comfy couch at home that an Alienware Area 51 would never fit.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
2 Hour battery life is not surprising the thing has a 8 inch screen with a resolution at 720p-1080? Would drain it like crazy.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So in one interview Dell's marketing said they actually see it as a potential entry point for PC gaming. So this could be cheaper than expected. IIRC the cheapest laptop Alienware has released was the $800 M11x

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
2 hour battery life is pretty dissappointing, but I am so happy to see more devices in this form factor.
The device looks crazy big too, so I assume that this isn't really targetted at people playing handhelds outside. 2 hours of play time isn't that bad when you are close to a socket most of the time anyway.

That being said, anything about weight? I wonder if this might be rather tiring to hold after a while. quite a few people complain that the hybrid Switch is already on the heavy side and this looks much much heavier.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Given the alienware pedigree (yes they're expensive but they make good stuff) if this even has a serviceable GPU/CPU setup and a price range I can save up for I could see this being my favorite PC gaming thing ever. They just need to get rid of the triangle shape around the screen.