• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Good catch. Though the price looks a bit higher than expected? ¥12999.00 = 1800€+...

Yeah, I spotted that. Also curious that it includes a ~30% discount to reach that price. I'm not sure how Dell China handles its orders though so maybe that's par for the course. They've already settled on the US and UK pricing though so I'll be suprised if those change.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If the Samsung version supports dual source PiP like their other ultrawides, then I'm going with that instead of the Dell.

I really hope we get more details on that one before the Dell is available to order.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This thing seems like it's going to be hard to get ahold of. Almost too good to be true for that price.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a glowing review, but I had to use Google Translate, so not sure if what I read is accurate haha.

Yeah, that opening feels a bit hyperbolic, but it's new tech so maybe it really is the current best.

I'm a little confused over the 'HDR Peak 1000' and 'HDR400 TrueBlack' modes.
v2-9eb3b1c2824d7eb2458a633a776aafdd_1440w.jpg

Since it should presumably always be capable of producing true blacks, and the Peak 1000 mode has far higher brightness, what's the benefit of the TrueBlack mode here?

Squidmaster7

Feb 24, 2021
This may be more of an AVS Forums type question, but since this panel is native DCI-P3 is it worth going for over the 42 inch LG if my main use case is prodcutivity/pc gaming? I only use SDR (SRGB/REC 709). Windows HDR is way too jank to use IMO and Im not and HDR person outside of movies. Im concerned that since all my content, browsers, games, etc is in SRGB that the monitor will look too vibrant. Im coming from an 34 inch LG 1440p VA monitor that isnt even remotely bad, I just love OLED. Any input on this?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that opening feels a bit hyperbolic, but it's new tech so maybe it really is the current best.

I'm a little confused over the 'HDR Peak 1000' and 'HDR400 TrueBlack' modes.
v2-9eb3b1c2824d7eb2458a633a776aafdd_1440w.jpg

Since it should presumably always be capable of producing true blacks, and the Peak 1000 mode has far higher brightness, what's the benefit of the TrueBlack mode here?

True Black spec - which had had lots of concessions made for OLEDs - which flat out can't do a bunch of stuff.
Now this display trashes that, because it hits nearly perfect black and has a higher peak brightness and higher large field brightened vs a conventional OLED

However Display HDR1000 is super hard to meet, because it requires VERY high full field values that not even many LEDs can hit. This display doesn't qualify for that, but it outperforms the true black mode.

Oct 25, 2017
True Black spec - which had had lots of concessions made for OLEDs - which flat out can't do a bunch of stuff.
Now this display trashes that, because it hits nearly perfect black and has a higher peak brightness and higher large field brightened vs a conventional OLED

However Display HDR1000 is super hard to meet, because it requires VERY high full field values that not even many LEDs can hit. This display doesn't qualify for that, but it outperforms the true black mode.

Very cool that they've managed to get a decent level of brightness.

I'm curious as to why it has both modes when one clearly seems superior. Is it to help longevity?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
This may be more of an AVS Forums type question, but since this panel is native DCI-P3 is it worth going for over the 42 inch LG if my main use case is prodcutivity/pc gaming? I only use SDR (SRGB/REC 709). Windows HDR is way too jank to use IMO and Im not and HDR person outside of movies. Im concerned that since all my content, browsers, games, etc is in SRGB that the monitor will look too vibrant. Im coming from an 34 inch LG 1440p VA monitor that isnt even remotely bad, I just love OLED. Any input on this?

Wide gamut displays often have an sRGB emulation mode. For consumer-focused HDR displays, that may be the only mode available in SDR.

Most likely it will be fine, but you need to read the reviews. The quality of sRGB modes and the available calibration options vary.

I did once own a pro-focused wide gamut SDR display without sRGB emulation, and I definitely would not recommend that. However my HDR monitor and HDR TV have both been fine.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been paying attention, apparently. Just read this, so C2 prices are up MASSIVELY over the C1 line.... what the fuck I held out an entire year on the rumors for this shit, and this is my payment?

Glad it's Friday, time to drink.

I bet a 1 month ban that this is not accurate for US pricing. I wouldn't be surprised that European prices are wrong as well.

Price leak articles are the worst type of clickbait from these tech sites they're almost always wrong unless it's a leak that occurs a day or so before a live presentation.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
yeah its quite disappointing. Im pretty much now locked into this Alienware or a G9 (NON NEO)
Yeah I was tempted by the G9 this time last year, when I was getting full swing into working from home. The only reason I hadn't gone widescreen was because the 42" LG seemed like a dream, and was rumored to be even cheaper than the 48" C1.

We'll see when the official announcement from LG happens.

I bet a 1 month ban that this is not accurate.
What do you earn if you win?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have to hold out for pricing on the LG 42", but man this looks good.
Unless there is some weird difference in currency, the 42in will be north of $1400 and probably $1500.

The EU MSRP price for the 48 last year is the same price as the 42in this year. That came out to $1500.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
5ee9634c-ab83-41bd-bkvj6n.jpeg
Saw this on Reddit, looks like there could be some chroma subsampling/DSC limitations for this unit

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the Peak 1000 mode has some very aggressive ABL.

Other issues people are noting include the anti-glare coating giving blacks a slight greyish hue, and the text isn't great.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Other issues people are noting include the anti-glare coating giving blacks a slight greyish hue, and the text isn't great.
The Digitaltrends review of the Sony QD-OLED also mentioned the panel itself was greyish when off. Seems like that will just be how QD-OLED panels are.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Its been a long time since I bought a new monitor but are AR coating a standard practice now? I still have a monitor that is matte and its great,

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Its been a long time since I bought a new monitor but are AR coating a standard practice now? I still have a monitor that is matte and its great,
. The Matt finishes have an effect on viewing angle , so aren't suited to larger displays - which is why on big dispalys AR is best practice.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd also imagine that a matte screen would worsen the picture quality of an OLED a lot.
It reduces contrast and sharpness - so is somewhat counter productive for displays where IQ is paramount.
It's cheaper and more durable, which is why it's a staple of office PC monitors which also by default are under brightly lit interior lighting.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

ABL / ABSL are my main concern with these displays. That was the biggest dealbreaker when I tried using an LG OLED as a monitor in the past.

. The Matt finishes have an effect on viewing angle , so aren't suited to larger displays - which is why on big dispalys AR is best practice.

That dynamic is different when dealing with a curved ultrawide monitor vs a flat TV.

The curvature and the assumption there is a single user whose head is on-axis mitigates most of the viewing angle issues.
Conversely, those same factors make reflections worse because the screen acts as a converging mirror focusing reflections on the user.

That may make manufacturers more likely to go with matte or semi-matte coatings. It results in a more balanced design, even if it does limit some of the strengths of OLED.

Golgotterath

Nov 21, 2020
Once this puppy is online for us mortals I'll order one asap to replace my Alienware 3420DW. If there's going to be any stock for Europe, that is.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
the QD-OLED Sony TV also has "slightly gray" looks according to Digital Trends, but only if you're really looking for it on a pure black screen or so

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, OLEDs are already not recommended when you are in a brightly lit room, previously due to their brightness limitations. At the end of the day, if you have a ton of ambient light shining on and reflecting from something it will never appear as black as it could (though anti-glare coatings obviously make that worse).

My Asus PG348Q has an anti-glare coating, and given its IPS the black levels are already pretty craptastic the effect of the coating doesn't really bother me. I will say, I bought it exclusively as a gaming monitor, but since COVID it's become my primary work monitor because of work-from-home during daylight hours, so I'm glad there is some coating on there.